• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle Fighter |OT| Super real money Turbo

Durden77

After an hour or so with the game:
- the artstyle isn't as bad when you actually play the game; it's still a far cry from the cute chibi characters from the original game, but isn't ugly either; looks much better in motion;
- touch controls are good, except from those moments when the game suddenly lags (I had a couple of those) and you end up putting the gem in the wrong place
- the game is pretty addictive
- I don't like the lifebar mechanics; it makes the game much shorter and at the same time complicates the gameplay
- the super moves that appear out of nowhere and interrupt the game are frustrating;
- too much bars to fill, items to collect and mechanics that are locked behind timers; what was once a simple puzzle game is now filled with useless mechanics, treasure chests, bars, coins, gems etc. Eh, modern mobile games design :/
- I still don't understand how you level up characters (I have the money, but the game doesn't allow me to level up moves)

Glad people are coming around to the artstyle. It's honestly quite great in motion. Type of stuff we haven't seen from Capcom in a long time. I even love the voice acting, fits with the style so well. The whole presentation is good.

You level up characters be leveling up their special moves. You level up special moves by collecting a certain amount of the corresponding special move card. In the Chun Li picture in the OP, you can see her Spinning Bird Kick is at level 1 with 0/2 cards. That means she needs 2 more Spinning Bird Kick cards and then she can level the special up. You get the cards from Honda's gifts, various chests, or buying them in the shop. It also seems that cards have level of rarity. White = Common, Blue = Uncommon, Purple = Rare, and I believe there's an orange which must be ultra rare.

Also, I just got an update in game. Have no idea what it did though. No new characters or anything. It seems like it removed the little news reel on the home screen and removed the top layer of the shop. Probably just soft launch testing stuff.

EDIT : News feed on the home page is back. It's pretty lol how useless that home page is. The home should just be the "online battle" page with a tab for missions. Hope they realize that.

Jawmuncher

sdsexswn.png

for funnies
asn3s4p.png

Durden77

Don't know if it's been posted: Jill trailer.

Cool format for character trailers. Shows off the animations nicely. Picked a pretty boring character to start off with though.

Man, this game really wants me to play Bison. Keeps pumping me up with his cards, and I just got a costume for him. Wish I knew what kind of buffs the costume gives if any, don't see anything on it in-game. He's a tough character to play though, gonna keep him as support until I get better.

I've gotten so lucky with my pulls. I have 10 characters unlocked lol, and just snagged that costume.

shinjijai

Is there hacks for this game? I just played online, and this guy got me to almost 0 health without doing any thing.

aka_bueno

Anyone have any tips? I looked up some old videos of Puzzle Fighter tournaments and it seems like a lot of people stack blocks while leaving one middle row empty, how come?

aka_bueno

play online matches, 5 unlocks the first one then 10 unlocks the second slot.

I think he means how you activate their support moves in a match.

Other than just crashing gems of their color, I don’t know. No documentation on how many it takes or how the damage is calculated.

Durden77

Is there hacks for this game? I just played online, and this guy got me to almost 0 health without doing any thing.

Haven't had anything like that yet. Had a few disconnects though that will end the round.

Can anyone explain how the support characters are activated?

I think he means how you activate their support moves in a match.

Other than just crashing gems of their color, I don’t know. No documentation on how many it takes or how the damage is calculated.

Yeah I think that's what he means. I just figured it out not too long ago myself.

The support character's attacks activate based on your main character's specials.

So for instance here, Haggar's attack will activate when Ryu's Hadoken special activates. Bison's activates on Shoryuken. They overlap as well, so if I hit the Shoryuken that also fulfills the Hadoken's square so Haggar attacks too.

Support attack damage seems to all be baseline across the board. If I switched Bison out for another level 4 raw damage support, they would do the same amount of damage.

What I want to know is if your support character's affinity plays into stuff at all.

aka_bueno

Does stacking affinity always take priority cause of the bonus? Or is there any benefit to having one of each affinity for a team?

Anyone have any tips? I looked up some old videos of Puzzle Fighter tournaments and it seems like a lot of people stack blocks while leaving one middle row empty, how come?

I can at least explain the middle row thing. That's how I used to play the old game as well. You leave that column empty because if the gems fill that particular column you will lose. The other columns you can stack indefinitely with no penalty. So you keep the middle empty for wiggle room while you build your chains and stacks.

I'm not too sure if this strategy works in the new game. I can't play it right now (WiFi is down), but do you lose if you stack too high in this?

aka_bueno

I can at least explain the middle row thing. That's how I used to play the old game as well. You leave that column empty because if the gems fill that particular column you will lose. The other columns you can stack indefinitely with no penalty. So you keep the middle empty for wiggle room while you build your chains and stacks.

I'm not too sure if this strategy works in the new game. I can't play it right now (WiFi is down), but do you lose if you stack too high in this?

Funny, I had just put that together. It’s that row because that’s the row gems drop from.

In this game you don’t lose when you overstack, but you lose a shit ton of your health (so maybe you can lose if you have low life) and your bottom five or so rows get cleared out (so any gem combos you have down there also go bye bye)

Toshin

What is going on with the graphics in their game right now, floating eyes hahaha

Its some werid gfx error I have the same thing but I have shadows insides of invisible people, so its like some werid ghetto shadow lady costume or something lol

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Haven't had anything like that yet. Had a few disconnects though that will end the round.

Yeah I think that's what he means. I just figured it out not too long ago myself.

The support character's attacks activate based on your main character's specials.

So for instance here, Haggar's attack will activate when Ryu's Hadoken special activates. Bison's activates on Shoryuken. They overlap as well, so if I hit the Shoryuken that also fulfills the Hadoken's square so Haggar attacks too.

Support attack damage seems to all be baseline across the board. If I switched Bison out for another level 4 raw damage support, they would do the same amount of damage.

What I want to know is if your support character's affinity plays into stuff at all.

Wow. Didnt know this at all until your post. This will prove really useful.

Durden77

Whoa. Just played on the training stage for the first time and it has a godlike remix of MMX1's first level music.

The music in this game is so on point.

Toshin

So I think Im making mild progress, I'm hovering around 7-900 cause the swings in points are crazy atm but I just had a werid thing happen
Now I kinda get how rarity works for skills/colors but I just had a honda spin, just a regular reward unlocking dan and I was like , awesome new guy finally,, then on my very next regular reward spin, I get dan again!...I dunno if thats like a bug or just RNG but apparently unlocking a char 2x = 1 card on his base level lol
how is everyone esle doing in this?

Mr_Zombie

The game is really addicting. :D
Today I got a pretty sweet spin from Honda: police costume for Chun-Li, 200+ coins, and about 6 skill cards with 10+ levels.

Few thoughts about the game:

The game should not match you against players that are 2 or more levels above you. Yes, it is possible to win the match, but it's frustrating when technically you're equal with your opponent skill-wise, but he still trashes you because his character hits harder and has more life. By introducing various character's levels it's no longer simply a puzzle game, but also a fighting game with RPG elements where you can easily gain advantage over your enemy just by playing more. I would prefer to get a "no players available" message than participate in a fight that I'm going to loose anyway (and loose points in the ranking).

The lags that happen from time to time are frustrating. There are moments when the game stops (the music plays, characters are in their idle animations, no gems are falling down), and then suddenly gems start to drop again.

I'm still having some problems with controls, when the drag down is sometimes recognized as click (which rotates the gem) and drag down. It can fuck the match up.

Durden77

The game is really addicting. :D
Today I got a pretty sweet spin from Honda: police costume for Chun-Li, 200+ coins, and about 6 skill cards with 10+ levels.

Few thoughts about the game:

The game should not match you against players that are 2 or more levels above you. Yes, it is possible to win the match, but it's frustrating when technically you're equal with your opponent skill-wise, but he still trashes you because his character hits harder and has more life. By introducing various character's levels it's no longer simply a puzzle game, but also a fighting game with RPG elements where you can easily gain advantage over your enemy just by playing more. I would prefer to get a "no players available" message than participate in a fight that I'm going to loose anyway (and loose points in the ranking).

The lags that happen from time to time are frustrating. There are moments when the game stops (the music plays, characters are in their idle animations, no gems are falling down), and then suddenly gems start to drop again.

I'm still having some problems with controls, when the drag down is sometimes recognized as click (which rotates the gem) and drag down. It can fuck the match up.

Agree with pretty much all of this. Fighting someone 1 level above you is definitely doable. 2 levels above is much more difficult. However, I think this will something that will naturally be ironed out when the game fully launches. We have a limited player base right now, so the game's matchmaking will have much more options with matching you with player levels within 1 level of you when the game fully launches.

Yeah, I hate the lag when it happens. Especially because I can't tell if the opponent is getting it too. I swear there's been times where they've been like a few blocks ahead of me because it though, which is bullshit. Controls are pretty much fine for me, but it does sometimes slip up with the quick drop which can be very frustrating. I may mess with the sensitivity a bit to see what that does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my game though, I have been EXTREMELY lucky with my spin/chest pulls. I now have ALL 12 characters which is fucking nuts. The last 2 I was missing were Dan and Nash, and I got them both from a single Honda set of spins 2 days ago. I got Dan first, and right after I texted my friend to rub it in his face, I got Nash two Honda boats later. Couldn't believe it. I also have costumes for Bison and Ken, an alt color for Nash, and have pulled a few dupe characters which have given me shittons of coins.

The team building aspects of the game actually get really awesome once you have a good pool of characters. Characters of the same affinity type on the same team will make the main character's affinity stronger. Making "mono" teams seemingly to be the way to go, and each team seems fairly different from each other. Red for instance (which I'm using now, Bison/Dan/Ken) seems to be based on going full force on red affinity with huge damage and even more so with boosts from Dan, and stun included in it's affinity as well. Green seems to be more about healing, with Haggar/Morrigan healing supports and Frank being able to heal himself. Blue seems to be more all around and focused a bit more on speed.....ect. It's pretty damn cool. Some F2P mechanics aside, I legitimately think this game has far more variety in gameplay styles and more exciting mechanics than SPF2. Having a blast with it.

Mr_Zombie

Is this VS P2 or both VS P2 AND CPU?

You have three missions per day, which currently are basically vs CPU fights, where the CPU can be of any level. When I was on lvl 4, I had a single fight against lvl 7 Bison and one against lvl 8 Nash. They can be hard, but CPU is usually much easier than fights against other players.

Other than that, it's all about vs P2 fights. With each fight against a human player that you won you get ranking points; you also have 6 Honda spins (chests with coins, skill cards or costumes/characters) for winning fights.

Durden77

Someone needs to rip the music of this game ASAP, it is way better than it has any right to be. The Ring of Destiny track is fucking fire.

Durden77

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone know how this game saves data on Android? My friend just lost all of his data somehow today. Said he's tried all of his Google accounts but none are working. His account is still on my friend's list though.

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone know how this game saves data on Android? My friend just lost all of his data somehow today. Said he's tried all of his Google accounts but none are working. His account is still on my friend's lost though.

Yeah, I have stopped playing until they introduce a way to back-up your save to the cloud. It's baffling to play an always online mobile game that doesn't provide this. It's pretty basic level stuff. I know it's in "soft launch", but even other games that have done that have provided cloud saves of some sort.

I don't understand your last sentence though?

Durden77

Yeah, I have stopped playing until they introduce a way to back-up your save to the cloud. It's baffling to play an always online mobile game that doesn't provide this. It's pretty basic level stuff. I know it's in "soft launch", but even other games that have done that have provided cloud saves of some sort.

I don't understand your last sentence though?

Had a typo, meant to say his account is still on my friend's list. As in he's still showing up on my friend's list (offline) and I can click on him and see his details. That makes me think his account is still out there somewhere. (I assume in a cloud?)

And wow, are you sure this game doesn't save to some sort of cloud saving? I just figured it saved to my Google account. Considering I've been extremely lucky on this account, I'm scared as shit now.

Durden77

Is this out in the US yet? Am I just overlooking it in the App Store?

Check the OP. It's soft launched right now, so no it is technically not out in the US yet. However if you're on Android you can just download the APK. I do not know of an easy work around on iOS, but I assume you could probably make a dummy account for one of the territories it's launched in.

aka_bueno

Check the OP. It's soft launched right now, so no it is technically not out in the US yet. However if you're on Android you can just download the APK. I do not know of an easy work around on iOS, but I assume you could probably make a dummy account for one of the territories it's launched in.

That’s how I downloaded it. Created a dummy Canadian Apple ID to download of Canadian App store

Durden77

That’s how I downloaded it. Created a dummy Canadian Apple ID to download of Canadian App store

Will add to the OP.

Mission season is up, and I have 740 points. Spent all my gems unlocking missions hoping to get myself to 750, but it fucked me. Arg.

Super Silver now though. Bison/Dan/Ken is the truth. Chun li can still be a bitch to fight against though, as her playstyle is so fast and Bison requires a little more time. I also seem to get wrecked by Haggars.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How the fuck was I supposed to get the final chest in missions? I completed every mission in the past season and I only got the first two =|

Toshin

I only got 560 myself in mission points , i also was not aware you could swap one mission a day...so knowing that and swapping low end missions for hopefully high point missions...anyone actully get the 1k from missions? if so what did you get?

I hope leauge level isn't affecting my mission point gain cause that hurts if so....

Durden77

How the fuck was I supposed to get the final chest in missions? I completed every mission in the past season and I only got the first two =|

I got 740, and that was with added 3 missions with gems. Yeah like Toshin said though, I realized late you can switch out one mission a day for free. Maybe if the lower MP missions are switched out we may have a chance. Although of course they're going to want you to spend money for gems to add more missions, but let's hope that just makes it easier and is not the only way to do it. That would be fucked.

I....think I have it? I'm running off the APK so I haven't downloaded and update to the APK itself, but Dante is now showing as "coming soon" in my game. So I guess it updates in-game? Or does he show as actually available if it's updated properly?

Toshin

Im on IOS and the store is prompting me to update, I have 10.3.3 but still says I can't update and it says Im up to date when i try to software update for IOS, but I have the dante char as well...any ideas?

Durden77

Im on IOS and the store is prompting me to update, I have 10.3.3 but still says I can't update and it says Im up to date when i try to software update for IOS, but I have the dante char as well...any ideas?

Is Dante available to unlock for you? Or does it just say coming soon? I can't find a way to see the version in-game.

Toshin

says coming soon! in green lettering/font hes on far right on my chars unlocked just past haggar who I haven't unlocked yet :)

MrMephistoX

The world wasn't ready for Megaman Powered Up :(
In this post-mario maker world it would probably do real good.

Very true...Megaman Powered Up 2 would be a fantastic idea along with a re-release. Love that little game and wish it were on the digital PSP store so I could actually play it without hacking.

Durden77

Ok so I had to go into my dummy account to download the update. You do have to download it from the play/app store. If you don't have the update now it will just not find matches for you.

And it says Dantes is released on the main screen, but still says coming soon in the character select. Might just be an error as they're testing this stuff out.

Durden77

Oh HELL fucking no. Looks like my data's gone too. I have every fucking character, this is bullshit. Bout to blow Capcom up. Anyone know how to start a support tucket with them?

Top Bottom