• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Episode Pack(Live Action Show), 75GB download on Xbox One

Trup1aya

Wait was that including the live action scenes?
This sounds like a short game

for a linear shooter, it sounds about average. Someone who knew what they were doing rushed through in 5hrs of game time.

Seems to have more replayability than the average linear shooter though.

ironcreed

Banned
Wait, an 8 hour game including all of the live action shit? I hope that is false, as I wanted a game. Not some fucking movie.

Didn't we have that person on GAF who played it and said the first act alone was 2h15m, and it was the shortest act out of the 5?

I can not go into specifics nor did I time my playthrough but it feels really long, but not overly long either. Keep in mind I explore levels a lot so average players might be faster than me, however I don't expect people to be disappointed by the length. I'll be replaying the game soon to record walkthroughs and will write down my playtime and report back once embargo is up.

Gator86

Ok. If you download the game, and then choose to download the episode pack, it's 120GB for an eight-and-a-half hour game. That's still brutal.

Gonna have to delete an entire quarter of my hard drive for this rental. That's... a lot...

AHK_Hero

ez my internet not even gonna break a sweat.

5196421817.png

Now that I've collected the pieces of my head after its recent explosion, I gotta say I'm intrigued by this news. They must have put a lot of time into making the variations matter for the live action and I dig that. I was worried they would make the game feel disjointed.

Will definitely be streaming.

ironcreed

Banned
6-7 hours of gameplay look like worst than the order 1886

The Order was right at 6 for me, but I actually enjoyed the hell out of it. I think I will enjoy the gameplay portion of Quantum Break as well, but these live action scenes interrupting that flow has me worried.

6-7 hours of gameplay look like worst than the order 1886

Well Quantum Break lets you skip the tv stuff/cutscenes if you wish where The Order didn't.

Remedy have proven themselves multiple times before with gameplay I don't think there is much to be concerned about there compared to the order which had a whole load of different issues

ironcreed

Banned
Well Quantum Break lets you skip the tv stuff/cutscenes if you wish where The Order didn't.

Remedy have proven themselves multiple times before with gameplay I don't think there is much to be concerned about there compared to the order which had a whole load of different issues

So we can skip it then? Great news. I don't mind cutscenes, but I don't want some actual show tied into my game.

Strootman

4-5 years of development for a 6-7 hours game?

I don't believe it.

I'm expecting at least 10 hours. If not, I would be disappointed.

So we can skip it then? Great news. I don't mind cutscenes, but I don't want some actual show tied into my game.

I think you are going to be missing out if you don't watch the show, it's part of the whole experience but if you don't want to watch it then yes they have said you can skip it

4-5 years of development for a 6-7 hours game?

I don't believe it.

I'm expecting at least 10 hours. If not, I would be disappointed.

I don't think it's been in full production for 4/5 years, they had the Alan wake 2 prototype then did American nightmare and it seems like quite a lot changed since it was announced in 2013

DirtyLarry

I actually prefer shorter games these days as it means I actually have a chance of beating them. Especially with other games coming out in the course of the next two months I am psyched to play, I love the idea of a 10 hour game give or take.
Quality > Quantity every time.

ironcreed

Banned
I think you are going to be missing out if you don't watch the show, it's part of the whole experience but if you don't want to watch it then yes they have said you can skip it

Nah, I would rather the whole thing stay in-game with some cutscenes that are not overly long. I just don't see the point and doubt that it will be interesting enough to make me want to sit through it. I bought a game to play, not for some TV show.

I actually prefer shorter games these days as it means I actually have a chance of beating them. Especially with other games coming out in the course of the next two months I am psyched to play, I love the idea of a 10 hour game give or take.
Quality > Quantity every time.

Agreed. I'd prefer a quality shooter over a shooter where the developer is trying to hit an arbitary playtime to appease people.

Alan Wake wasn't particularly long but was a fantastic game. Hopefully the story and gameplay will be equally as great here.

Strootman

I don't think it's been in full production for 4/5 years, they had the Alan wake 2 prototype then did American nightmare and it seems like quite a lot changed since it was announced in 2013

Well they announced the game more or less 3 years ago, so I suppose the game was already in development for at least 1 year.

Every act will start with a "previously on" type of short live action cutscene recapping the event of last episode so you won't be lost if you skip the show, but it is recommended you watch it through if you want to understand the story better.

Ricky_R

Nah, I would rather the whole thing stay in-game with some cutscenes that are not overly long. I just don't see the point and doubt that it will be interesting enough to make me want to sit through it. I bought a game to play, not for some TV show.

Live action scenes are also attached to the story. By skipping them you will miss key story elements.

Whats the difference between in-game cutscenes and the live action stuff? Ones presented with in-engine/game assets, one isnt?

There are some videos around of the first episode of TV stuff, perhaps start watching that and see what its like? I'd have thought it would be worth giving it a try at least, but its your decision

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Whats the difference between in-game cutscenes and the live action stuff? Ones presented with in-engine/game assets, one isnt?

There are some videos around of the first episode of TV stuff, perhaps start watching that and see what its like? I'd have thought it would be worth giving it a try at least, but its your decision

Immersion.

Ricky_R

I might try to stomach it, but would rather they just made more of a game instead of a half and half.

I see where you're coming from, but it's a design choice they decided to go with, so it is what it is.

At least give it a chance. You may like them.

ironcreed

Banned

It is still in the game and cutscenes are typically not spread out in long TV show like episodes, either. I just don't like the idea of being in game and playing interrupted by having to watch some long episode of a show. I just wanted a game.

Immersion.

Given what remedy are going for and the way they have achieved the transition plus how graphics have been improving I don't think it will be much different to games switching between in-game and cgi.

I might try to stomach it, but would rather they just made more of a game instead of a half and half.

I don't think they have ever said its half and half, they got an outside production studio to do the live action scenes with them whilst they grew from 80 to 130 people to make the game themselves

kpaadet

Given what remedy are going for and the way they have achieved the transition plus how graphics have been improving I don't think it will be much different to games switching between in-game and cgi.

Judging by the streams I have seen so far this seems much more immersion breaking than cgi.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I hope that 8 hour playthrough isn't true.. that'd be half the length of Alan wake pretty disappointing
I doubt it. Neither the Max Payne games nor Alan Wake were short, Remedy are great at telling a story so by definition they should know how to deal with length and pace. I'd expect a short game from them as much as I'd expect one from Naughty Dog, which is not at all.
Not to mention that there was a reviewer in either the Gamersyde or DF thread that mentioned the first act alone was 2hr15m and it was the shortest of the five acts. I'd believe him over someone from another forum who then deleted their post.
As for generic_username, I have zero idea why he's trying so hard to hammer in a "fact" that the game is 4hrs in length, let alone why he thinks it's tolerated to just blatantly say stupid shit like that.

Genio88

I guess the game will be like 15 hours including the TV show episodes, of course that on the first playthrough without skipping nothing, and i'd be fine with that, i don't like when games are longer than they should be, getting filled with useless backtracking or ripetitive and boring mechanics, also it looks like the game will offer different choices at the end of each chapter, which could change the game's story progression, giving also different episodes of the TV show, so i guess we'll be pretty incentivized to replay it

PS: i'd i also think that's why the TV show is 75GB, in my opinion those are not just 4 episodes but at least 8, since you can have two episodes available after each chapter based on the choice you made in the game

Purest 78

Same. People can skip the scenes if they want to. I'm gonna stream me playing, kill more bandwidth ;)

If you skip scenes Don't you miss key elements in the story? I think adding a movie to a game will be a huge mistake. Not to mention regular cutscenes, how much game play Does QB have?

cyber_ninja

Cutscenes in order weren't long though.

Strootman

Well, the first act is already on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDYHKC_CJNI

and it last an hour and a half (tv show included). Still, we have to consider that act 1 part 1 is missing for plot reasons, so we have to add that. Part 2 and part 3, judging by the video, are each 30 min long, so if we assume the same for part 1, we can add other 30 min.

So first act + tv show episode could be 2 hours long.

Of course we have to consider that it all depends on how people play, and how much attention a player give on collectibles and reading stuff.

Top Bottom