• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Gameplay (Gamescom 2015)

brau

Ryse is owned by Crytek. MS tried to fund the sequel, but they wanted IP ownership and Crytek said no, so the deal fell apart.

MS just gets publishing rights for some games. They often allow the IP holder to release on PC through another publisher.

Remedy is still independent, but they have been close to MS for years. Considering the amount of money seemingly going into QB I assume the relationship is still pretty strong.

With this in mind tho... PC port down the line would still be possible. I just think most games come to PC from the xbone.. at least the ones i have been following. Even D4 came to pc. lol.

It would be pretty amazing to see this game running with a good rig. 60fps at native 1080.

I reckon the games art design unfortunately lets videos being compressed make it look like it has bad graphics. It has a pretty simple but detailed look. With the detail being lost in compression, you're only seeing pasty looking simple design.

Having seem it first hand at Eurogamer last year, it's beautiful.

Frog-fu

Banned
I must have rewatched the Gamescom footage like ten times already. Game just looks so good. The gunplay in particular looks satisfying.

Ryse is owned by Crytek. MS tried to fund the sequel, but they wanted IP ownership and Crytek said no, so the deal fell apart.

With the state Crytek is now though, especially given what happened to Homefront 2, I wouldn't be surprised if a Ryse sequel still happened.

I quite enjoyed the first game. Thought it could be a great new franchise for MS if they improved on the combat and switched up time periods and mythology with each instalment.

Dynasty

How are people saying the gameplay looks samey? There's more stuff going on in terms of mechanics and powers in this short trailer than the entirety of Uncharted 3. People even defended the god damn Order.
Is it even possible to defend the Order1886 lack of variety?

How are people saying the gameplay looks samey? There's more stuff going on in terms of mechanics and powers in this short trailer than the entirety of Uncharted 3. People even defended the god damn Order.

Well in The Order you could rotate guns and letters.

This game looks extraordinary. And not only in terms of graphics but also game play. I love that there is seemingly no limit to how many times you get to use your powers.

A game has never made me feel this way, but both the initial gameplay demo at last gamescom and this demo make me feel nauseated . I can't handle the constant sound effects during the gun fights as well as the sound slow down and sound effects that come with each teleport or time bubble. Same thing goes for the constant change in color and shapes in the environment.

TVexperto

This looks fantastic, I love that they actually got high profile actors like Charlie from LOST. Reminds me of the good old 90s games.

Holy crap! That's seriously the most impressive next gen game I've seen yet on any of the consoles. Everything about it sold me.

Definitely interested in a XB1 now.... that shit was fucking crazy. Can't believe there's some people around here trying to downplay this lol

EvB

You are mistaken. Dead Rising = Capcom. Ryse = Crytek.

I don't think PC is straight-up impossible for QB, but I think it's unlikely, especially compared to previous IPs that went XB -> PC.

The last 2 games co PC, I don't see why this one wouldn't. It would fit in with MS' plans for Windows 10 too.

krainert

Neo Member
Every time I see this game, I find myself thinking: how is it different from TimeShift? How will it try to make gameplay less repetitive? Judging from the very sparse gameplay footage released so far (bridge and parking lot), most shootouts play out the same: the player gets surprised by a scripted encounter, player freezes time and runs to cover, player either triggers an environmental kill or freezes enemies to stack up some bullets, and repeat from step two.
Story-wise, how is this different from Singularity? Renko was the time-manipulating protagonist trying to undo Demichev's world domination with the help of Barisov who Demichev had killed off in the first timeline to assure his success -- just like our generic protagonist here gained time-manipulation powers and is trying to undo the bad guy's exploitation of time travel which included the elimination of the protagonist's brother who, it would seem, similarly becomes a means for the good guys to win. TimeShift, as I recall, had a similar plot.
So, in my eyes, all Quantum Break seems to be doing is piggybacking off two mediocre and very forgettable games with the added feature of time breaks, which it then trivializes by putting in enemies and generic platforming making it little more than a gimmick. Why is everybody excited about this game again?

btags

I'm assuming they made the character effectively invincible for those segments to show them off.

If it's anything like the previous Max Payne games, the amount of slow-down time will be limited and ammunition with decent but also limited supply.

You couldn't just use slow-down non-stop and shoot everything at will.

I am pretty sure in the e3 footage from last year you could see a bar that would deplete when time powers were used. Also, if I remember correctly they said they sped up the recharge rate of the bar for demo purposes.

The last 2 games co PC, I don't see why this one wouldn't. It would fit in with MS' plans for Windows 10 too.

We'll see of course. And I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's unlikely. The reason I suggest it being unlikely is that none of the major exclusives that MS owns have received a PC port. "Major" is a bit of an arbitrary term, but I think we could definitely put this game in the category of major exclusive (compared to a less major (but not less awesome) exclusive like KI). And even the games that did get ported that are owned by MS were not day-and-date releases on PC.

Also, you should remember that the previous games that Remedy shipped for MS were IPs that they own, so they had a bit of leverage on MS. MS owns QB and can dictate its future more.

My honest take is if you really (really) want to play QB and many of the other releases coming out for XB1, you should at least consider the system. You can play the "I hope it releases on PC" game, but I am very certain that you will miss at least a few really big exclusives. I'd be willing to bet QB might be one of those that the PC will miss out on (but who knows). I could see Scalebound never making it to the PC, too.

I don't like telling people to buy things they don't want/need, but if you really want these games, an XB1 will guarantee it (And you'll get it right away, as opposed to waiting months or more than a year).

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
That was obnoxious...

Looks like a nice shooter swamped with over stylized press A to awesone bullshit.

MS didn't own those IP.

Maybe they'll be less inclined to let this come to PC and instead focus on other games like Halo, Gears, etc on PC.

T.O.P

Banned
That was obnoxious...

Looks like a nice shooter swamped with over stylized press A to awesone bullshit.

yoyexdE.gif

solis74

I am pretty sure in the e3 footage from last year you could see a bar that would deplete when time powers were used. Also, if I remember correctly they said they sped up the recharge rate of the bar for demo purposes.

Yeps, plus the powers have a leveling system, and you receive them throughout the course of the game, its clear this is god mode plus all powers are available and at max level for demo purpose only.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
A game has never made me feel this way, but both the initial gameplay demo at last gamescom and this demo make me feel nauseated . I can't handle the constant sound effects during the gun fights as well as the sound slow down and sound effects that come with each teleport or time bubble. Same thing goes for the constant change in color and shapes in the environment.

Same here.

All the wub wub sounds.

Shooter, check.
Time/slow down mechanics, check.
Cinematic gameplay, check .
White middle aged male protagonists, check
Wubs, check.

This game should be called Focus Group.

Razzorn34

Seems interesting. I wish the cut and paste cover gun play from every other game didn't shoehorn itself in though. I love the power concept, but feel it would have been better matched with a more melee based game.

Sydle

With this in mind tho... PC port down the line would still be possible. I just think most games come to PC from the xbone.. at least the ones i have been following. Even D4 came to pc. lol.

It would be pretty amazing to see this game running with a good rig. 60fps at native 1080.

It's clear Xbox is transitioning to full Windows 10 support, so I think it's mostly a matter of time.

The reason KI is going Windows 10 is because the community asked for it. On the other hand, Spencer said he doesn't hear very much demand for things like Forza on PC. It seems to me they'll pick and choose things depending on what gamers want.

With the state Crytek is now though, especially given what happened to Homefront 2, I wouldn't be surprised if a Ryse sequel still happened.

I quite enjoyed the first game. Thought it could be a great new franchise for MS if they improved on the combat and switched up time periods and mythology with each instalment.

I forgot Crytek owned Homefront.

If Crytek is unwilling to budge on IP ownership then I don't see much more than a marketing deal. I enjoyed Ryse a lot and I see the potential, but I'd much rather see Spencer put money towards his own IP, especially the amount it would take for a graphical showcase like Ryse 2 would be. For example, could you imagine a new Perfect Dark with a dev like Remedy at the helm with a QB-like budget? It could be incredible in story, presentation, and gameplay.

Every time I see this game, I find myself thinking: how is it different from TimeShift? How will it try to make gameplay less repetitive? Judging from the very sparse gameplay footage released so far (bridge and parking lot), most shootouts play out the same: the player gets surprised by a scripted encounter, player freezes time and runs to cover, player either triggers an environmental kill or freezes enemies to stack up some bullets, and repeat from step two.
Story-wise, how is this different from Singularity? Renko was the time-manipulating protagonist trying to undo Demichev's world domination with the help of Barisov who Demichev had killed off in the first timeline to assure his success -- just like our generic protagonist here gained time-manipulation powers and is trying to undo the bad guy's exploitation of time travel which included the elimination of the protagonist's brother who, it would seem, similarly becomes a means for the good guys to win. TimeShift, as I recall, had a similar plot.
So, in my eyes, all Quantum Break seems to be doing is piggybacking off two mediocre and very forgettable games with the added feature of time breaks, which it then trivializes by putting in enemies and generic platforming making it little more than a gimmick. Why is everybody excited about this game again?

I don'tknow what to say other than there is almost zero chance Quantum Break will be generic from a plot point of view. Regardless of what someones opinion is of Remedy they push narrative in their games big time

I'm a sucker for time shenanigans, I'll be there day one.

Also, Aiden Gillen is playing Paul Serene (the bad guy) so that's another reason for me to get it.

ee9195bd6953290042a0be62c4d8042d

Sean Durrie is his name and he's still in the game apparently. Just not as Jack Joyce.

Anyway, as for the "old" Jack Joyce, that's actually a different character in the game (I won't talk about him yet), played by Sean Durrie, who's 100% awesome.

Yep, it can be a little tricky sometimes when you have to release material, but don't actually have all the character models completed yet. Now that we're much closer to the game being finished, Shawn's in there. Just roll with it. =)

http://community.remedygames.com/showpost.php?p=166553&postcount=153

I guess everyone else that we've seen are still in the game in some capacity as well.

It's as if they were trying to make a game about the Flash, without the Flash.

Kinda like the concept now, when they announced it I thought it didn't look interesting at all.

BiGBoSSMk23

IIRC you loved The Order 1886 so this should be right in your alley, right?

I gave positive impressions as I played the order, it was a different story upon finishing it; then I defended the team from the excessive vitriol.

Liking The Order has nothing to do with finding the action in QB nauseating.

I gave positive impressions as I played the order, it was a different story upon finishing it; then I defended the team from the excessive vitriol.

Liking The Order has nothing to do with finding the action in QB nauseating.

Not to stir, but you were begging for a sequel towards the end of the OT. It wasn't so much a different story, it was you thinking of ways they could make the series reach its full potential...

Same here.

All the wub wub sounds.

Shooter, check.
Time/slow down mechanics, check.
Cinematic gameplay, check .
White middle aged male protagonists, check
Wubs, check.

This game should be called Focus Group.

This feels nothing at all like an overly focus grouped game. To me this seems like the logical progression for Remedy.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That was obnoxious...

But without all that time stuff, it would be a completely prototypical, generic shooter. How could that be preferable? What I saw here at least appeared to have the potential to be a tactically interesting, stylish TPS along the lines of a Vanquish rather than something simpler like a Gears or Uncharted. I'm not even mentioning The Order because that's a level of simplicity below mediocrity.

This feels nothing at all like an overly focus grouped game. To me this seems like the logical progression for Remedy.

Could not agree more.

The generic statements are confusing. There is quite literally not a single announced game coming out soon for any system that looks anything like QB. Remedy do their own thing and its one of the reasons I love them

solis74

Holy crap! That's seriously the most impressive next gen game I've seen yet on any of the consoles. Everything about it sold me.

Definitely interested in a XB1 now.... that shit was fucking crazy. Can't believe there's some people around here trying to downplay this lol

It was awesome, but each to there own. :)

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Is it a bit hitchy for anyone else or is that just the vid or something?

Anyway, looks fine technically, however aesthetically it's pretty uninteresting. Not super interested in the story, but some cool casting there. Gunplay looks a lil plain and uninteresting which is strange considering it's Remedy. IDK, keen to see more/play.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Could not agree more.

The generic statements are confusing. There is quite literally not a single announced game coming out soon for any system that looks anything like QB. Remedy do their own thing and its one of the reasons I love them

I mean I like Remedy and looking forward to seeing more of the game, but it's not like there was an original concept in that video.

Top Bottom