• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

cakely

You do realize that every line you posted is exactly what i said...uwp didn't make the game perform badly...it prevents users from taking simple steps to fix it.

If you've come to that conclusion, you should re-read what I quoted from the article.

Agree...dx12 tools and perf is really not there yet...Microsoft seems to be pushing too hard on this standard too quickly

But you just said DX12 patch for Tomb Raider works great? I don't know why you said works great when the steam forum during that patch was full of crashing reports and barely any changes or worst fps.

mcrommert

Banned
But you just said DX12 patch for Tomb Raider works great? I don't know why you said works great when the steam forum during that patch was full of crashing reports and barely any changes or worst fps.

Okay perhaps i should correct that...works just as good as the win32 version from steam in dx12 mode

Luckydog

Yeah, here's your shit sandwich. It's better than no sandwich, right?

Take that shit sandwich bull somewhere else. He bought the Xbox one version and is complaining about the PC version. Thats BS. If he bought the PC version, then by all means complain, it sucks.

I am not advocating accepting bullshit. I'm saying if you want the PC version then BUY THE PC VERSION.

Plenty of reasons to complain about Microsoft. He doesnt need to make a reason.

mcrommert

Banned
If you've come to that conclusion, you should re-read what I quoted from the article.

Fine

But Microsoft has to bear responsibility too: several of the issues encountered here are a direct result of UWP's lack of features and quality, to the point where even downloading and installing the game is a trial.

Store is garbage right now..no arguments...not directly linked to uwp file type...just delivery...I don't see any info backing up the "sevel of the issues encountered here are a direct result of UWP's lack of features and quality"

Normally, we would use the Nvidia half-refresh rate option or Riva Tuner Statistics Server to solve this problem but as a Universal Windows Platform app, the full-screen mode is limited to borderless window, preventing these tools from functioning at all.

Like i said uwp blocks tools to fix developers problems
Universal Windows Platform: This is a drum we cannot beat loud enough - the Universal Windows Platform architecture is a huge issue for the PC right now. There are problems with this game, such as frame-pacing, which could be fixed by users right now but that becomes impossible due to UWP's limitations. In the case of Quantum Break, this means that we're basically held hostage waiting for improvements from the developer or from Microsoft itself, as if this were a console game. In a perfect world, games would ship without any issues, but that just doesn't always happen, which is why it's so important for PC gamers to have the option to work around these problems with established tools and GPU control panel options. Also: bonus points to UWP for overwriting our Xbox One completed game save with fresh PC data instead, eliminating our existing progress completely.

Once again uwp prevents users from fixing...doesn't cause the problems to begin with. The overwrite of data has nothing to do with uwp...has to do with xbox live...would have happend on win32 also

Once again...i don't disagree with the game's pc port being a shit sandwich....uwp should not be the focus and is a waste of time...

Luckydog

Listen, pal.

I also bought the Xbox One version digitally because Microsoft promised a PC version to go with it.

If they hadn't done that, I would have bought it physically for the Console or digitally for the PC.

But what's happened since?

Microsoft failed to deliver the PC code. On top of that, the PC version is utterly abhorrent.

So that poster, and I, feel very correctly WRONGED in this case.

So take your holier than thou bullshit and put it on that hotdog avatar of yours and eat it.

You didn't put your money up and get screwed on this deal, but others have.

I absolutely bought the Xbox one version digitally for the sole reason of having both. I'm in the same boat. I specifically bought it for a new rig so I could see how much better the PC version would run. Lo and behold it runs like crap and I cant even see for myself.

But the over use of this shit sandwich bullshit has to stop. Yes, I saw your original post on this and it was spot on. No one should accept a shitty port as better than no port at all. But its not applicable in this case. You bought the Xbox copy, you got it. They promised a Windows copy I expect you will get it. I would have loved it day and date too but they never promised that.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Once again uwp prevents users from fixing...doesn't cause the problems to begin with. The overwrite of data has nothing to do with uwp...has to do with xbox live...would have happend on win32 also

Once again...i don't disagree with the game's pc port being a shit sandwich....uwp should not be the focus and is a waste of time...
This is just my opinion, but something that prevents problems from being fixed is a problem itself.

MaLDo

Bullshit. Without UWP Remedy could add an exclusive fullscreen option as every other game from them. This way, the game will not mess with DWM and surely will have no added problems with frametimes. Stop with your defense because it seems clueless.

Luckydog

Wouldn't it be a shitza?

Okay. So you are indeed accepting the situation and think it's fine. Good for you. Others disagree.

Unbelievable. Like, I cannot believe this attitude.

They said 7-10 days for the code. It stinks and I (as well as most others) expected it day one. It stinks but it isnt the end of the world when they didnt even commit to it. If its not out in the timeframe they stated then by all means burn them.

My only real point is there are so many shitty things about the whole launch that are real that we dont need to make edge cases sound bigger than they are.

Buburibon

AK had some missing rendering effects at launch on PC, but other than that i will say that they are on par....... Maybe QB is even worse since AK had a pretty competent 30 fps framerate lock.

In my experience, QB is definitely much worse. Batman: AK ran acceptably well maxed at 1080p for most Titan X owners due to the large 12GB VRAM pool that helped mitigate the stuttering. As you said, some of the rain effects were nowhere to be found/broken at launch, but you could still sort of "brute force" AK into a playable state with some hardware configurations.

The same cannot be said about QB. It's fundamentally broken in addition to being locked behind a system like UWP, which makes it next to impossible for users to try and correct any of its many problems. QB UWP version has got no redeeming qualities whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. Not at this time anyway.

mcrommert

Banned
Bullshit. Without UWP Remedy could add an exclusive fullscreen option as every other game from them. This way, the game will not mess with DWM and surely will have no added problems with frametimes. Stop with your defense because it seems clueless.

Plenty of games deal with dwm in non exclusive fullscreen and don't have frametime issues.

If you have to buy QB buy the Xbox version

At least that has no frame pacing problems

That would be similar to paying terrorists to release hostages knowing they will spend it on freshly supply of weapons to capture more people.

If you have to buy it on xbox because pc version is awful then get it used or make a rental.

theultimo

Plenty of games deal with dwm in non exclusive fullscreen and don't have frametime issues.
But are they set up to drop to 30fps if you are not getting 60 on the dot? Probably not. There is a difference between borderless fullscreen in win32 and in UWP, for the worse.

RoTR is honestly an exception, not the rule. The PC port on Windows store was actually developed for win32 and is missing a lot of features in UWP, however it does run because they had not only time to hack it together but the luxury of dx 11 instead of the dx 12 mess UWP has become

Freiya

The fact you think he is defending uwp is sad.

vcc

The fact you think he is defending uwp is sad.

He's defending MS and by implication their shitty design decisions regarding UWP. I think it's more sad that folks defend shitty design decisions as I recall a few folks pre-release were doing. So many benefits to UWP hmm.. wait for Build?

RoTR is honestly an exception, not the rule. The PC port on Windows store was actually developed for win32 and is missing a lot of features in UWP, however it does run because they had not only time to hack it together but the luxury of dx 11 instead of the dx 12 mess UWP has become

I'm not sure what you're point is.

1) The fact that it was also developed for win32 doesn't somehow mean the UWP version will perform better. If anything, it should have given Nixxes less resources to commit to the UWP version

2) As you yourself pointed out, not all UWP games use DX12, because UWP and DX12 are not the same thing. Plus, since release they've added a DX12 option.

Rise in an exception in that it's a UWP game that was ALSO given the needed development time and resources. The fact that three other UWP games (Gears, KI, and of course Quantum Break) weren't given enough development time does not say anything about UWP. It just says that those games weren't given enough development time.

Of course, we also don't know how much development time these unsatisfactory ports had. Maybe they were given what would have been ample time under normal circumstances but UWP slowed down development. We just don't have enough information to say. I, however, am not prepared to call out UWP for being the cause of crappy ports in the absence of information which actually links those two factors.

Alexm92

This is probably the worst launch I've ever seen and it's absolutely disgusting. There should be laws against this kind of thing. You dont see too many other big companies, apart from video game companies, releasing broken products.

I was really looking forward to this game aswell. Ms are a joke at this stage.

This is probably the worst launch I've ever seen and it's absolutely disgusting. There should be laws against this kind of thing. You dont see too many other big companies, apart from video game companies, releasing broken products.

What are you talking about? Of course you do.

Software companies, non-game related, often release broken products that have to be patched later. Adobe, Microsoft, Oracle, Google, Apple...

Problems like this are certainly not limited to video games.

Of course, we also don't know how much development time these unsatisfactory ports had. Maybe they were given what would have been ample time under normal circumstances but UWP slowed down development. We just don't have enough information to say. I, however, am not prepared to call out UWP for being the cause of crappy ports in the absence of information which actually links those two factors.

UWP isn't reason for bad ports. UWP adds another level of issues.

You could say you are getting double shit sandwitch instead of normal one thanks to UWP if we use this allegory.

Someone actually liking GFWL.

I've seen it all.
Yes, I liked GFWL and do not like Steam. Never had a problem with it. A lot of other people didn't have any issues with it either. See here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30519674&postcount=130 Im not an astroturfer lol...i post all around the community

The quotes there were from 2011 which was obv before gfwl went extinct and the games gone but the games are so old I doubt many care at this point. Virtua Tennis 4 is the only one I miss since we're prob never getting another good tennis game.

Was Barack Lesner formerly known as Heavy?
Yes. I love wrasslin' and wanted to change my name to something WWE related. Not a secret

sorry this is unrelated to the topic

The bolded statement got my thinking... because yeah, releasing products which are literally has become moderately common in the gaming industry, and I can't think of anywhere else where that happens. If you were to make a more general thread on this, I think it could make for an interesting conversation.

In this case, however, I'm not sure if "broken" is the right word to use. Unoptimized? Yes. Lacking features? Absolutely.

But since (as far as I'm aware) the game is easily playable from start to finish, I don't think it's broken. I suppose you could call the frame-rate stuff "broken", but it's not like the game advertises that it can be played in 60 fps. Yes, this should be a standard feature, but I can name many product categories that often lack features that should be standard.

Software companies, non-game related, often release broken products that have to be patched later. Adobe, Microsoft, Oracle, Google, Apple...

Literally broken? I can't think of any to be honest. Google perhaps, but then they usually label set products as being beta quality, and don't charge for their use.

Edit: Perhaps MobileMe in the case of Apple... but that was a pretty famous instance.

Literally broken? I can't think of any to be honest. Google perhaps, but then they usually label set products as being beta quality, and don't charge for their use.

Not to stray too far off topic with this one, but Apple has released a handful of problematic iOS upgrades recently, one that even completely disabled the cellular radio. They had to scramble and release an emergency patch that same day to restore basic smartphone functionality.

In comparison, Google Apps for Business, which companies DO pay for, have had access to Gmail/Calendar/Drive completely disabled for hours at a time because of bad code pushed through to production.

I'm not trying to excuse these occurrences, but it happens.

jony_m

Very interesting to read DF findings and issues.

Personally, this "port" feels worse that Batman last year which is a shame because QB is the better game.

I was able to brute force Batman, albeit with some missing features/textures... but it seems there is no hardware that can run QB satisfactory at launch.

Luckydog

This launch sucks, but its far from the worst thing ever and certainly not confined to videogames. I remember when the release of the activity band Jawbone Up was so bad that they gave people their money back and let them keep the product, no questions asked. http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/8/2621420/jawbone-up-refund-defective-fitness-band It was a HUGE failure.

Or how about those Ford Pintos, you know that ones that exploded if tapped from behind.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Still kinda in disbelief that Batman Arkham Knight got dethroned in less than a year by a AAA first party port this time. Why didn't they just take the extra damn time to at least give this game a proper chance on PC? Cause of the BS UWP ecosystem push, guaranteed.

Shame on you, MS & Remedy. You sent this out to die on PC.

MaLDo

Plenty? No. A few games designed with DWM in mind since the beginning.

I'm really sensitive to frametimes problems and the only real deal is exclusive fullscreen. Sometimes you can get perfect frametimes from Fraps analysis, but those are not really smooth through the window presentation.

Yes, I liked GFWL and do not like Steam. Never had a problem with it. A lot of other people didn't have any issues with it either. See here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30519674&postcount=130 Im not an astroturfer lol...i post all around the community

The quotes there were from 2011 which was obv before gfwl went extinct and the games gone but the games are so old I doubt many care at this point. Virtua Tennis 4 is the only one I miss since we're prob never getting another good tennis game.

Yes. I love wrasslin' and wanted to change my name to something WWE related. Not a secret

sorry this is unrelated to the topic

I'd quite like to play Bulletstorm on PC actually, but I can't, because GFWL was a piece of shit.

I also really wanted to play Dark Souls when I originally bought it on PC, but I couldn't until they wiped away the shit stain that was GFWL. I literally bought a game which I could not play for months.

Because GFWL was a piece of shit.

Hysterical. Quick GAF, somebody photoshop UWP over the truck and quantum break over the pinto!
Quick and dirty
vxJxd1e.gif

Unai

I'm not saying that DX12 inherently leads to terrible games, or that UWP inherently leads to bad games... I'm just saying I don't know if we can blame UWP for the fact that this port is crappy.

We can certainly blame Microsoft—they're the publisher, so it's ultimately their responsibility to make sure that the products they release are of an acceptable quality—and we can probably even blame Remedy—although we don't know what conditions they were/weren't forced to work under—but I don't think we can blame UWP. UWP has led to both good ports and bad ports, just like Win32.

The same applies to DX12... the only reason I brought up DX12 is because it's probably responsible for at least some of the performance issues we're seeing under nVidia cards, and because I think it's being overlooked by a lot of people.

But take a look at the context... none of these things wouldn't be a problem if the game actually had correct frame pacing to begin with.

I should be clear here that I'm no fan of UWP—I like to have control over what's running on my computer, thank you very much! I just don't think it's worth quite as much vitriol as people are giving it. Look, if I had my way, I'd be purchasing all my games as completely DRM-Free binaries from a range of different storefronts, but that's not the world we live in.

I'm in other hand think it's worth much more vitriol than people are giving it. Hopefully more people will start to see how awful is UWP now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd quite like to play Bulletstorm on PC actually, but I can't, because GFWL was a piece of shit.

I also really wanted to play Dark Souls when I originally bought it on PC, but I couldn't until they wiped away the shit stain that was GFWL. I literally bought a game which I could not play for months.

Because GFWL was a piece of shit.
Gotta love that defense. "I love GFWL. Yeah, it broke all these games, but people probably don't care about them".

You know, for some reason it reminds me of this dialogue in GTA Vice City's VCPR radio:
- Up on Capital Hill you were instrumental in pushing through a bill allowing the manufacture and sale of Giggle Cream, a dessert with potential lethal consequences.
- Uh, not true! Only 23 people have died and several of them probably deserved it.

theultimo

They didn't promise you anything. And you have the Xbox One version. You should be grateful.
For a limited time, anyone who pre-orders the digital version of “Quantum Break” for Xbox One through the Xbox Store will receive the Windows 10 version of the game for free, downloadable at the Windows Store via redemption code. The pre-order offer also applies for those who redeem a digital code purchased from participating retailers or from the Xbox One Special Edition Quantum Break Bundle by April 4th, 2016

Nope, no promise

Top Bottom