• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

For a limited time, anyone who pre-orders the digital version of “Quantum Break” for Xbox One through the Xbox Store will receive the Windows 10 version of the game for free, downloadable at the Windows Store via redemption code. The pre-order offer also applies for those who redeem a digital code purchased from participating retailers or from the Xbox One Special Edition Quantum Break Bundle by April 4th, 2016

Nope, no promise

Well we got the Xbox One version through the Xbox Store didn't we? So, we should be grateful. Everything else is just a bonus, and we'll get it eventually. Maybe. There are no guarantees in life.

Nokterian

Quick and dirty
vxJxd1e.gif
Hahaha terrific :D

nynt9

I'd quite like to play Bulletstorm on PC actually, but I can't, because GFWL was a piece of shit.

I also really wanted to play Dark Souls when I originally bought it on PC, but I couldn't until they wiped away the shit stain that was GFWL. I literally bought a game which I could not play for months.

Because GFWL was a piece of shit.

I bought a GFWL game on Steam when I used to live in Turkey and GFWL region locked me out of playing the game I legitimately bought because GFWL didn't work in my region despite there being no restriction on Steam. Fuck GFWL.

I'm in other hand think it's worth much more vitriol than people are giving it. Hopefully more people will start to see how awful is UWP now.

But shouldn't people see the things that UWP is actually awful at, as opposed to the things it isn't? If there's no (conclusive) evidence the UWP is the reason that this is an awful port, how does blaming UWP help anyone?

Relique

Well we got the Xbox One version through the Xbox Store didn't we? So, we should be grateful. Everything else is just a bonus, and we'll get it eventually. Maybe. There are no guarantees in life.

Are you just stubborn for the sake of stubbornness? You were shown a direct quote from Microsoft that it's part of a pre-order offer... meaning it is part of the original sale and not a bonus.

If you are happy with your purchase that's fine. Stop trying to shut down other customers' legitimate concerns.

Are you just stubborn for the sake of stubbornness? You were shown a direct quote from Microsoft that it's part of a pre-order offer... meaning it is part of the original sale and not a bonus.

If you are happy with your purchase that's fine. Stop trying to shut down other customers' legitimate concerns.

Let's make a lot about edge cases.

huh i actually thought cosmicqueso was posting ironically there

OMG I'm furious about this whole thing, but I have users telling me to not make a big deal about it, to be grateful it's even on PC and if I wanted the PC version I just should have bought that and if I didn't I have no reason to complain!!

This whole thing is the biggest fucking shitshow and we're the ones creating it. Remedy is telling gamers they are lying about the PC performance they are seeing and the codes that were promised to people who bought the game? Who the hell knows where they are! But that's JUST FINE to a bunch of people in this very thread!

DrXym

This is highly debatable, tbh.

Not really. The Win32 API is an utter mess representing the accumulation of of 20+ years of functions, many of which are obselete or needlessly complex. Replacing that with a more rational API is a good idea. It's a good idea for developers, it's a good idea for Microsoft.

That said, UWP suffers for a couple of reasons - 1) it's basically version 1.0 so Microsoft hasn't optimized it as far as they should or added functionality which is clearly needed in some cases, 2) neither have any of the 3rd party libs or drivers, 3) they've tied it to their store which sucks. All these issues can be resolved.

I think in time these issues will be fixed.

nynt9

Not really. The Win32 API is an utter mess representing the accumulation of of 20+ years of functions, many of which are obselete or needlessly complex. Replacing that with a more rational API is a good idea. It's a good idea for developers, it's a good idea for Microsoft.

That said, UWP suffers for a couple of reasons - 1) it's basically version 1.0 so Microsoft hasn't optimized it as far as they should or added functionality which is clearly needed in some cases, 2) neither have any of the 3rd party libs or drivers, 3) they've tied it to their store which sucks. All these issues can be resolved.

I think in time these issues will be fixed.

As a developer the last thing I want to hear is how removing 20 years of functionality and compatibility is a good thing for the new flavor of the year mobile-centric API is a great idea.

Unai

But shouldn't people see the things that UWP is actually awful at, as opposed to the things it isn't? If there's no (conclusive) evidence the UWP is the reason that this is an awful port, how does blaming UWP help anyone?

UWP is one of the reasons that this game plays like shit now, so...

theultimo

As a developer the last thing I want to hear is how removing 20 years of functionality and compatibility is a good thing for the new flavor of the year mobile-centric API is a great idea.
Your business can synergise to the exploding movement of the current technological footprint and gain major advancement of Social networking. This makes your company above board with the monstrous adoption process so you can be the alpha geek.

scitek

You do realize that every line you posted is exactly what i said...uwp didn't make the game perform badly...it prevents users from taking simple steps to fix it.

EDIT: I think the point i'm trying to make is...lets focus on who *&%ed up this game. Remedy and Microsoft (one or the other probably more than the other). UWP is a red herring that is drawing focus away from those who caused the game to come out broken.
Well, they kinda go hand in hand. Microsoft is the one forcing exclusivity to the UWP ecosystem, which in turn keeps it broken longer because of the certification process for patches.

nynt9

Your business can synergise to the exploding movement of the current technological footprint and gain major advancement of Social networking. This makes your company above board with the monstrous adoption process so you can be the alpha geek.

These threads and the UWP defenders have broken me. I legitimately can't tell if this is satire or not.

I'd quite like to play Bulletstorm on PC actually, but I can't, because GFWL was a piece of shit.

I also really wanted to play Dark Souls when I originally bought it on PC, but I couldn't until they wiped away the shit stain that was GFWL. I literally bought a game which I could not play for months.

Because GFWL was a piece of shit.

This. I still haven't played Bulletstorm and I've owned it for years. Sad...

aeolist

Banned
OMG I'm furious about this whole thing, but I have users telling me to not make a big deal about it, to be grateful it's even on PC and if I wanted the PC version I just should have bought that and if I didn't I have no reason to complain!!

This whole thing is the biggest fucking shitshow and we're the ones creating it. Remedy is telling gamers they are lying about the PC performance they are seeing and the codes that were promised to people who bought the game? Who the hell knows where they are! But that's JUST FINE to a bunch of people in this very thread!

i am honestly just confused by this

These threads and the UWP defenders have broken me. I legitimately can't tell if this is satire or not.

What's baffling to me, like honestly, truly baffling, is I don't know why it is being defended or even the idea of why it exists. What benefits does it truly provide that people are so enamored with it and emotionally attached to it.

i am honestly just confused by this

All you need to do is read the last 2-3 pages.

DieH@rd

Banned
Dat DF article... great overview of the situation.

I truthfully did not expect of any UWA game to be trouble-free, but this one is a real clusterfuck of bad optimization and UWA/WinStore limitations.

DrXym

It's not a mobile centric API, it's an agnostic API. And neither does it remove 20 years of functionality. If you want to write code the old way you still have Win32 if you want it. But it's reasonable that Microsoft would want to revamp the API and strip out the dead wood and do things a decent way that is more portable and efficient. A simple example would be replacing the old HWND functions with something which is scene graph based. Try creating a tooltip control some day and tell me its as simple as it should be.

As I shall say again, it's obviously flawed in its implementation. But the same could be said for Win32 in its day. When Win32 first appeared it did so in an incarnation called Win32S which was running on Windows 3.1 and had many limitations. And over time it also had OLE2, ActiveX, DirectX and dozens of other random APIs heaped on top of it.

It's completely reasonable that Microsoft are trying to replace it with something more modern.

I'm trying to request a refund but have no idea how to go about it. Can someone here point me in the right direction? Microsoft has a refunds section on their website but even though I'm logged in nothing shows under the digital content list in my account

theultimo

It's not a mobile centric API, it's an agnostic API. And neither does it remove 20 years of functionality. If you want to write code the old way you still have Win32 if you want it. But it's reasonable that Microsoft would want to revamp the API and strip out the dead wood and do things a decent way that is more portable and efficient. A simple example would be replacing the old HWND based UI with something which is scene graph based.

As I shall say again, it's obviously flawed in its implementation. But the same could be said for Win32 in its day. When Win32 first appeared it did so in an incarnation called Win32S which was running on Windows 3.1 and had many limitations. And over time it also had OLE2, ActiveX, DirectX and dozens of other random APIs heaped on top of it.

It's completely reasonable that Microsoft are trying to replace it with something more modern.

Something Linux or BSD has never done FYI - the open sourciest of operating systems still use UNIX binaries.

The only reason for UWP is a walled garden, no matter how many times you spin it

theultimo

I'm trying to request a refund but have no idea how to go about it. Can someone here point me in the right direction? Microsoft has a refunds section on their website but even though I'm logged in nothing shows under the digital content list in my account
Call Microsoft 1800-642-7676

Luckydog

I just dont get it. UWP is a freaking dumpster fire. The PC version QB is a shit sandwich. And people all around QB no matter where they stand seem to be getting screwed (maybe not xbone owners?). But the most furious part of this entire equation is that Microsoft did not give out the FREE copy of a SHIT SANDWICH WRAPPED IN A DUMPSTER FIRE fast enough?

Is this where we are at? That regardless of how bad the PC version of the shit sandwich is, that we are raging at the fact that MS wont shove the shit sandwich into your mouth faster than 7-10 days?

DrXym

The only reason for UWP is a walled garden, no matter how many times you spin it

Spin what exactly? Are you bothering to read what I wrote or just content with straw men arguments?

This would be the third time now I've said UWP is fine in theory but not in implementation. I also very explicitly said one failing was it was tied to the Microsoft store.

I just dont get it. UWP is a freaking dumpster fire. The PC version QB is a shit sandwich. And people all around QB no matter where they stand seem to be getting screwed (maybe not xbone owners?). But the most furious part of this entire equation is that Microsoft did not give out the FREE copy of a SHIT SANDWICH WRAPPED IN A DUMPSTER FIRE fast enough?

Is this where we are at? That regardless of how bad the PC version of the shit sandwich is, that we are raging at the fact that MS wont shove the shit sandwich into your mouth faster than 7-10 days?

Developing platforms like UWP is hard. Developing games like QB is hard. These hard things to do sometimes have issues that require a lot of effort, time and work to fix.

Sending out a fucking code though? That's very, very easy. And they're even screwing that up. That's the difference. They're not even able to do the easy things well.

theultimo

Spin what exactly? Are you bothering to read what I wrote or just content with straw men arguments?

This would be the third time now I've said UWP is fine in theory but not in implementation. I also very explicitly said one failing was it was tied to the Microsoft store.
It's not fine in theory is the problem

UWP is just a way for Microsoft to control output like Xbox, there is no really other justification

Luckydog

Developing platforms like UWP is hard. Developing games like QB is hard. These hard things to do sometimes have issues that require a lot of effort, time and work to fix.

Sending out a fucking code though? That's very, very easy. And they're even screwing that up. That's the difference. They're not even able to do the easy things well.

Fair enough. and the fact that they didnt say there was a 7-10 day wait BEFORE it shipped instead of after is BS.

DrXym

It's not fine in theory is the problem

UWP is just a way for Microsoft to control output like Xbox, there is no really other justification

Right.. so it's fine to have games written against Win32 and DirectX which are Microsoft proprietary but not UWP which is Microsoft proprietary?

That's an absurd argument and one which suggest you haven't programmed much Win32 to appreciate why a clean sweep might be a good thing.

If you object to UWP apps being tied to their store then object to UWP apps being tied to their store. There is nothing inherent to UWP which requires this to be the case.

Alexm92

What are you talking about? Of course you do.

Software companies, non-game related, often release broken products that have to be patched later. Adobe, Microsoft, Oracle, Google, Apple...

Problems like this are certainly not limited to video games.

Yeah I forgot about other software. I was thinking of non-computer based companies.

The bolded statement got my thinking... because yeah, releasing products which are literally has become moderately common in the gaming industry, and I can't think of anywhere else where that happens. If you were to make a more general thread on this, I think it could make for an interesting conversation.

In this case, however, I'm not sure if "broken" is the right word to use. Unoptimized? Yes. Lacking features? Absolutely.

But since (as far as I'm aware) the game is easily playable from start to finish, I don't think it's broken. I suppose you could call the frame-rate stuff "broken", but it's not like the game advertises that it can be played in 60 fps. Yes, this should be a standard feature, but I can name many product categories that often lack features that should be standard.

I cant make threads since I'm only a junior. You can make one about that if you please.

Yea I see your point but it's stil a really sub-par port and a big "fuck you" to the PC gamers who were really looking forward to the game, me being one of them. I was hyped for this since it was announced in 2013 and now I dont even want to play it with all the issues. I just hope it gets patched to an acceptable standard.

This launch sucks, but its far from the worst thing ever and certainly not confined to videogames. I remember when the release of the activity band Jawbone Up was so bad that they gave people their money back and let them keep the product, no questions asked. http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/8/2621420/jawbone-up-refund-defective-fitness-band It was a HUGE failure.

Or how about those Ford Pintos, you know that ones that exploded if tapped from behind.

It's definitely one of the worst high profile PC releases in a while. It's as bad as Arkham Knight PC, if not worse. I dont want QB to be a failure because I like Remedy, but it could well be a failure if it's not released on Steam.

AmFreak

What's baffling to me, like honestly, truly baffling, is I don't know why it is being defended or even the idea of why it exists. What benefits does it truly provide that people are so enamored with it and emotionally attached to it.

In my experience people who defend it have a Xbox One.
That should tell you something.

It's definitely one of the worst high profile PC releases in a while. It's as bad as Arkham Knight PC, if not worse. I dont want QB to be a failure because I like Remedy, but it could well be a failure if it's not released on Steam.

Agreed. The situation is looking grim at this point. I'm waiting with bated breath for Remedy's next move regarding this release.

Paz

It's not a mobile centric API, it's an agnostic API. And neither does it remove 20 years of functionality. If you want to write code the old way you still have Win32 if you want it. But it's reasonable that Microsoft would want to revamp the API and strip out the dead wood and do things a decent way that is more portable and efficient. A simple example would be replacing the old HWND functions with something which is scene graph based. Try creating a tooltip control some day and tell me its as simple as it should be.

You're wrong about one very important thing, it's not just flawed in its implementation it's flawed in its GOALS, it's like when the government floats a bill that would give poor people a tax break and then someone slips an anti trans bathroom rider in there or something - We shouldn't be celebrating Microsoft updating Win 32 if it comes with all the bullshit control this new system has.

DrXym

You're wrong about one very important thing, it's not just flawed in its implementation it's flawed in its GOALS, it's like when the government floats a bill that would give poor people a tax break and then someone slips an anti trans bathroom rider in there or something - We shouldn't be celebrating Microsoft updating Win 32 if it comes with all the bullshit control this new system has.

You're conflating an API with its maturity the motives you think underpin it. The API itself is quite sound. Aim your objections in the right direction.

Mifec

And now you can even pirate the game on the Home version of W10. Microsoft pls.

Any comments from Remedy other than the tweet?

theultimo

You're conflating an API with its maturity the motives you think underpin it. The API itself is quite sound. Aim your objections in the right direction.
Well the API is buggy, broken in some aspects, and has a list of known issues in MSDN pages long.

Granted it might get better, but again I ask? Why?

Paz

We will just have to agree to disagree, I don't believe you can separate Microsoft's goals from the API development process, it's not like it's self evolving or open source - Microsoft are the only ones who can improve it, and they clearly have an underlying set of goals beyond 'match and improve win 32 functionality'.

What is going on in this thread

What is this

edit: oh it really was satire.

I mean it looks like satire, but so do all the other pro UWP arguments itt and those are dead serious

Top Bottom