• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest for the Holy Relics: A NeoGAF DnD Play by Post Campaign

Quintus sighs in relief, then looks at his fellow adventurers, "...Sorry about the whole fire thing." Noticing the stump and its lack of features, Quintus ops to assist Kaff in searching the area, using detect magic in the off chance that will help them find anything "Anyone else wondering how these Wormwood chaps have lasted for so long..."

Code:
Perception: 1D20+5 => [ 7 ] +5 = 12
((almost made and attempt to assist Ivor(with aid another), but then I remembered open lock is dex based not int...))

((Will...

Cure Moderate Wounds on Sarm - +21 HP
Cure Moderate Wounds on Kaff - +21 HP
Cure Light Wounds on Ivor - +13 HP
Cure Light Wounds on Quintis - +13 HP

bring everybody to full or near full?))

Sarm begins to channel his god's energy and begin to lay hands on everyone's wounds, "Do not worry about how I feel about the fire. As long as it does not kill me, I can tolerate it."

He doesn't make comment on the mechanism or the forests about him, busy healing and clearly out of his element when it comes to this sort of thing.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((I think Sarm and Kaff could use a little more.))

Code:
Heal (Sarm): 14 + 4.5 = 18.5
Heal (Kaff): 12 + 4.5 = 16.5

Despite the party's victory, Ivor is immediately apologetic for underestimating the enemy and for his inaction. Moving to Sarm and Kaff with his kit to heal what the divine magic could not, he appears rather flustered.

"Look, about what happened, I feared attacking the beast further would have created more foes. That was not like any slime I have dealt with before."

He attempts to lighten the mood, noticing Sarm's unease. "Quintus, you should work on those flames. I think your bluster and bragging annoyed me more!"

((About the missing lock, will I need to roll a thievery check to inspect it?))

((I think Sarm and Kaff could use a little more.))

Code:
Heal (Sarm): 14 + 4.5 = 18.5
Heal (Kaff): 12 + 4.5 = 16.5

Despite the party's victory, Ivor is immediately apologetic for underestimating the enemy and for his inaction. Moving to Sarm and Kaff with his kit to heal what the divine magic could not, he appears rather flustered.

"Look, about what happened, I feared attacking the beast further would have created more foes. That was not like any slime I have dealt with before."

He attempts to lighten the mood, noticing Sarm's unease. "Quintus, you should work on those flames. I think your bluster and bragging annoyed me more!"

((About the missing lock, will I need to roll a thievery check to inspect it?))

((Yes, since open lock was rolled into that.))

Quintus grins in response, "Personally, I never cared for such brutish spells... Unfortunately those Ochre Jellies left me with little choice in the matter."

((BTW unless I got clipped by Sarm's Burning Hands spell, I don't think I actually took any damage... At least I'm not seeing any, so healing would be unneeded.))

((Thievery is the way to go if you want to try and open the stump.

Nobody got clipped with the Burning Hands spell, since Ivor was able to take care of the targets that would have made the spell difficult to aim))

As Ivor begins his work to try and figure out how this "door" works, Kaff and Quintus make a sweep of the immediate area. Unfortunately, all the find are leaves, sticks, and a few random sets of tracks that are so old they could've been left by anything from an orc to a squirrel. There is no sign of the missing checkerboard.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Okey dokey.))

Code:
Thievery (int): Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  14 + 9 = 23

"Are you sure this is it? There's supposed to be a chess board, and if they were present surely we'd be able to knock."

Regardless, the rogue gives the indentation a good inspection, hoping for a button or a way to pry off the top and reveal the true mechanism within.

Mike M

Nick N
((Sarm's spell plus Ivor's potion has Kaff's HP topped off at max.))

Not the least bit surprised that his search turned up nothing, Kaff idly kicks a small mound of decaying detritus as he wracks his brain for alternative solutions to their situation, but nothing he comes up with can be accomplished with what they have on hand.

Lacking any better ideas, he returns to the stump to lend assistance to Ivor's efforts if needed.

((Aiding just adds +2 to Ivor's check, right?  With his current temporary and conditional modifiers, Kaff's thievery skill modifiers decidedly do not suck.  It may be better to just make my own roll if Ivor's attempt doesn't work.))

It doesn't take long for Ivor to figure out how this thing is supposed to work; the chess pieces were supposed to move particular tiny pins in place within, and once all are properly adjusted, the machine should open.

Although he knows exactly how to open it, it's still going to take time, as the pins are buried down inside the machine, and he'll have to work exclusively by touch; however, slowly but surely, he makes progress.

((Quintus, I know you said earlier you wanted to work on deciphering the journal that was found at the library, so if you'd like, you can make a Decipher Script roll to start working on that as you wait))

Finally, after about an hour of careful manipulation, Ivor is able to trigger the unlocking mechanism, and the tree stump unfastens itself from the ground. As it rises, loose dirt and stray roots are kicked up and displaced, and a stone staircase becomes visible, leading down into the ground.

It only goes down about fifteen feet, and at the bottom of the staircase, you are all surprised to see an old man staring at you.

This is a VERY old man; he must have a good twenty years on Curzon the librarian. Liver spots and wrinkles pepper his skin, and a few wispy strands of hair decorate his bald head. His clothing is only one or two steps up from rags. His eyes, however, are full of life and a jittery sort of energy. He is standing in front of an open door, as though he's been waiting for you.

"Finally," he says, and his voice sounds a bit uneven. "I thought you'd never open it!" He laughs abruptly and loudly, then takes a few steps up, studying the four of you with his eyes, paying particular attention to Kaff and Quintus. "You already got two of 'em.... good, good..." Suddenly he whips his head up at attention and blinks. "Well what the devil are ya doin' here?! Time's a wastin'! Might wanna find the rest before it's too late!" He bursts into another fit of inappropriate laughter, then hurries back inside the door, making a motion for you to follow him inside.

Through the door is what could be described as a large office, consisting of three rooms. One has a desk; one has two beds; the other is a sizable storage area. All are very disorganized. There are papers and books strewn about everywhere, all over the floor, all over the desk, and all over both beds. There are no other people here. When you enter, the old man is already rummaging through the storage room, looking for something. He finally emerges with an ancient-looking scroll, and he shoves it at the nearest person.

"Here," he says. He then sits at the desk, leans back in his chair nonchalantly, and picks up a book - seemingly at random - and begins reading it silently, as though none of you are even in the room.

The scroll has writing of a language none of you have ever seen before, and, touching it, you notice that it seems unnaturally durable for a simple sheet of paper - especially one that looks so old.

Sarm spends an hour meditating to restore his spells, having used many in the fight just now on mere creatures of the forest. He sits cross legged in whatever glimmer of light he can find.

He would follow along with Ivor to catch up with Kaff and Quintis. When 'two of them' are mentioned, Sarm looks to Ivor with a face asking what the old man might mean, then to Quintis and Kaff, with the same expression of confusion. He was going to let the better talkers handle the situation, but his curiosity proceeds him, "If you would excuse me, I must ask... What have we brought that you desire more of?"

The old man very slowly lowers the book until his eyes are visible; they're looking at Sarm. Then he puts it down, and he is wearing a cheesy grin. "Very clever, boy," he says, "But you cannot fool me. I know a Deific Aspect when I see one. Or smell one. That fellow there is wearing the Boots of Farlangh, and this one is hiding the Hand of Vecna under his cloak." He stands up and stretches. "It is a good start, yes, but you all have a long way to travel yet!" He erupts into another high-pitched cackle, and begins picking up materials from the floor and stacking them on his desk.

His search failed, Quintus decides to look over the journal they found in the library while waiting for Ivor to finish his task.

Code:
Decipher Script:1D20+9 => [ 13 ] +9 = 22

Once they enter the stump and the man begins talking, Quintus wonders what the man meant by having two of them... and then it dawns on him exactly what he means, but just as he prepares to face palm, he figures if nothing else, the hand is probably safest with them anyways, Kaff trustworthiness notwithstanding...

Just as Quintus was about to ask the man about help getting the Rod of Pelor, he is distracted by the scroll He takes the scroll and begins looking it over, using Read Magic just in case.

Code:
Decipher Script: 1D20+9 => [ 20 ] +9 = 29
((Wow I hope that worked, cause if not, waste of a perfectly good nat 20...))

Mike M

Nick N
"Wait, what?  The boots are one of the artifacts?  I guess that makes a certain degree of sense in retrospect...  We are further ahead of the game than I had believed, for whatever that's worth."  

The perfectly trustworthy and in no way duplicitous Kaff produces the necromantic gauntlet from the folds of his cloak.  "Quintus' boots at least prove useful.  This item, however, seems to serve only as an unspeakably dangerous liability that we can neither destroy nor abandon.  I have an idea for it that may -may- flush out the monocle taken from Cruzon, but after that I would be happy to rid myself of it.  How might we secure it from the agents of the Arm?"

((animlboogy - if you're reading this, check your PMs))

Quintus is able to make significant progress in decoding Curzon's journal in the hour he has to work on it. Although it will take quite a while to actually finish, he doesn't foresee any problems in translating it entirely with a good few hours' work.

His efforts to decode the scroll which the old man unceremoniously shoved into his hands prove less successful. In fact, it seems as though the very scroll itself is resisting him; however, with some dogged determination, he is able to deduce that this scroll is written in Supernal - the language of the gods.

Supernal is a deific magical language, designed to be understood by all beings who hear it, regardless of their native language, or regardless of if they have any language at all; however, in its written form, it cannot be understood by mortals.

((You only got all that information because you got a Natural 20, btw; anything less than that and it would have been a complete mystery. I just didn't want you to think I was cheating you here))

The old man eyes Kaff. "You mean you lot didn't even know what ye had? Ye had TWO of the aspects, and yet... and yet..." and his sentences trails off into another, longer bout of laughter. When he finally calms down a bit and Kaff attempts to discuss business with him, his eyebrow furrows.

"No no no, lad, you've got it all wrong. It's the HAND of Vecna, not the Arm. I've got a nephew named Curzon, and it just so happens he's guarding Ioun's Monocle. That's hidden in the Great Library, mind ye.

"'Course, the Aspects are spread all over the world, from the Emerald Bay in the west, all the way to Ruby Keep in the east! You've got some work to do, if you want to stop the Unspeakable Ones before they come and rip apart all of creation!"

Realizing he won't be getting anymore out of this scroll for now, he stashes it in his backpack. "Oh... terrible news sir. The Vecna cult attacked the library, there was only one survivor and Curzon didn't make it. Though he did tell us the cult has taken the Monocle, where they are keeping it, we do not know, but hopefully with these two... Aspects, someone who does know, will end up coming straight to us." Quintus gets up from the spot he was working on the scroll and walks towards the old man, "We are actually on our way to get the Rod of Pelor, as the last owner of that Hand of Vecna turned an entire town into undead and apparently the rod is the only way, or at least easiest way, to turn them back. We were actually hoping you might be able to help us... acquire the Rod, as the church of Pelor that holds it, doesn't seem to be very willing to give it up easily. Any assistance you can provide in this matter would be greatly appreciated mister... You know, I don't think we ever got your name?"

The old man's eyes light up at mention of the Rod. "The Rod of Pelor, eh? It's quite a sight, that. Can cure any disease and break any curse! I seen it with my own two eyes, mind. Good luck getting them holy rollers to give it up, though - ever since they got their mitts on it, they've had it locked up nice and tight in their little underground vault. Rumor is, it ain't seen the light of day in well over a century! Those Pelor folks are a thorny bunch, too, so don't be expecting a warm welcome! They were sure never overmuch cooperative with us Wormwood folk.

"As for my name... I forgot my name years ago, lad. Didn't seem that important anymore." He has a small giggling fit. "If ye insist on callin' me something, I am agreeable to Woody."

He falls backwards onto the floor in a boisterous laughing fit, rolling back and forth with glee, seemingly oblivious to the news that his nephew is dead, and failing to acknowledge the existence of an opposing force that's searching for the artifacts.

The Cleric nods at the confirmation of the rod and how difficult it will be to obtain it, and says to his allies "If what... Woody says is true, then my only idea right now is to convince them that we are exceptional and worthy somehow."

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Ivor has found himself particularly dumbstruck throughout this exchange, both to the madness of this "Woody" and the discovery that Kaff has been keeping the Hand of Vecna on his person. He decides to confront Kaff about this later and not when they are guests to this excitable fellow.

"Hopefully we should have little trouble with the keepers of the rod as long as we are respectful and make a good impression. What's happened to Alydar and what we've done already should be enough to gain us an audience - After that, who knows what they'll want us to do while the citizens suffer." He looks to Sarm. "If I may, during our travel to the keep, could I ask you about Pelor and the faith? I want to make a good impression."

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff's stares at "Woody's" hysterics as he rolls around on the floor, no richer in answers than before he started his inquires.  "He's barking mad, isn't he?  Wondrous, we come all this way, risk dissolution by a roving blob of congealed acid, find the only person who knows less of what's going on than we do, and all we have to show for it is a scroll no one can read and a designer label for Quintus' footwear."

He falls silent after his tirade as he mentally connects a few dots.  "Quintus, it'd probably be wise to keep that scroll well concealed until the monocle is in our possession.  If the cultists learn that we have a manuscript written in the language of gods, they will doubtlessly have the same notion about how to decode it."

Having received no further instructions about the proper handling and storage of the gauntlet, he returns it to the folds of his cloak and turns to Sarm.  "I too would like to learn about Pelor and the organization of his worshippers.  I would like to learn a great deal indeed, everything a member of the clergy from your homeland might know.  You will find that I am... Quiet the eager student."

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"Yes, an eager student who's not even responsible enough to leave a foul artifact where it should be - miles under the ground! You really think you can carry that around? The Arm will do anything to take it back. I don't even think you're strong enough to resist using the damned thing."

Ivor is visibly annoyed.

Sarm nods, "I will do my best to teach what I can."

((Basically I learned about Pelor through Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelor

I assume that what Sarm will try to teach would be the categories: Description, Relationships, Dogma, what information under Worshippers is most relevant, and rituals. The name of the relic is spoiled on that page, so I am going to assume Sarm doesn't know that.))

Sarm looks to Ivor, "I agree. I wish for the arm to be destroyed forever, and I would choose to work with the clergy to do such a task."

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff is taken aback at Ivor's insinuation.  "It's not like I want to carry the damnable thing around with me, but I couldn't very well leave it unattended in the cart, could I?  Or would you prefer I left it here, with a madman and false stump as its only guardians?  So long as the Arm possesses the monocle no place is safe.

"Besides, we need it.  Even if we cannot convince the Pelor clergy to let us have the rod (or obtain it by other means), just being in the vicinity may be enough.  Nearly a third of the artifacts in one place will almost certainly prove too tempting for the Arm to resist.  They will come for us, and hopefully bring the monocle with them, or at least bring the knowledge to narrow our search.

"Once we deprive them of their means of locating the relics, then we can worry about where to secure the Hand.  Who knows, maybe the clerics will be willing to fill the rod's place in their vault with it."

((From Sarm teaching us about Pelor, do we get a temporary Religion Knowledge modifier for dealing with things pertaining to Pelor?))

((I think it would be more interesting if you were to put Pelor's teachings into your own words: how would Sarm the cleric teach someone about his god? Use that article if you want, but filter it through the lens of your character. What are the most important parts to him? What sort of impression would he like his students to come away with about the Sun God?

RP it up, people!

Edit: Kaff, sure, that seems fair. After Sarm gives you his explanation, you can consider yourself trained in Knowledge Religion when dealing with things related to Pelor, and will get a +2 circumstance bonus to that roll when/if you do.))

((I don't have time (and brain power) for a super description, so I'll try and give an idea on what Sarm would consider most important to him and how he would probably teach.))

Sarm, when teaching the others about Pelor, would describe him as the god of the sun, whose light shines the most brightly in his homelands, where the land is yellow and the Flans are great in number.

He stresses that Pelor is good, and is pleased when his light can shine in a smile, and is a good friend to other good gods, and a well known enemy of evil those light diminishes the shadows it hides behind, and his fires cleanse the world of fowl creatures such as the undead.

Sarm would warn that much of his upbringing as a Cleric comes from being a Flan, and that he expects many differences in interpretation, ways, and customs than how it is in his homeland, which is why he is not confident that whatever influence he may have would be enough.

As temping as it is to ask... Woody if he knows anything about the scroll, Quintus gets the feeling they won't be getting much more out of him. "Well unless Woody here has anything else he'd like to tell us, I suppose we are done here, shall we be on our way then?"

Whether they leave or not, Quintus probably fails to resist making a snarky comment once or twice while Sarm explains the details of his faith to the others. That said, even with his prior knowledge on the subject, he still learns a few, hopefully, useful things.

As you all turn to leave, some disappointed and some frustrated, you hear the old man's incessant laughter come to an abrupt stop. You all turn to see what happened, and find him standing up, looking directly at you.

Something is very different about him. His eyes are sharp and alert, his face is stern and serious, and he is standing straight up, appearing about a foot taller than he had been while hunched over. Even his clothes look better on him.

"My apologies," he says, and although his voice certainly comes from the same vocal chords as it did before, it's still difficult to believe that this is the same man. "My mind has grown feeble in my old age. I fear I do not have much time in this state, so I shall address your concerns one by one, and if you still have questions, be quick about asking them.

"Kaff. Your plan to engage the Arm of Vecna is flawed. If you wait for them to come to you, then they will take all the time they need to pinpoint your location and send an overwhelming force to destroy you and take the artifacts."

(Kaff only)
A nondescript voice seems to whisper directly into your mind, I know your secret, Mister Fierno, and sooner or later your friends will too. Whether they hear it from your lips or from those of your enemies is up to you.

"Quintus, the scroll you hold in your hands is the Treaty of Worms. It is an agreement, forged eons ago, among the Gods of the Pantheon. Although its terms are of no consequence to you right now, you may find that possession of the document will grant you certain... advantages in some of your future dealings."

(Quintus only)
A nondescript voice seems to whisper directly into your mind, We are very real and very powerful, Mister Mallory ((I gave your character a last name; feel free to veto if you dislike it, but it's what I'm using for now)), so you had better get used to it. Take care not to insult the wrong person with your snide quips, or else you may get yourself into unnecessary trouble.

"Ivor, though your desire to learn more about Pelor is commendable, you should know that attempting to convince them to give you the rod will be a fruitless endeavor. If you truly wish to possess it, you will have to steal it from them."

(Ivor only)
A nondescript voice seems to whisper directly into your mind, Although Kaff has done much to earn the distrust you harbor toward him, he yet remains your ally. Do not waste your time being distracted by him and his self-important intrigues; save your energy for the task at hand.

The old man's gaze passes to Sarm for a moment, but he says nothing to the cleric specifically.

(Sarm only)
You have a strange sensation, as though someone is attempting to stare directly into your soul, and is failing to penetrate it. You then start to get a sense that this man cannot be trusted, and to take the things he says with a heavy grain of salt.

"If you have other questions, make them quick, because as I've said, I do not know how much longer I can maintain my composure."

Quintus is pretty sure there are spells that could do stuff like that, but he'll worry about that later. "Well if can't ask them, perhaps you know some way we can get to the rod without them knowing? And I suppose if you know anything about the location of any other aspects that would be useful to know."

((And yeah, the last name is fine(honestly I kinda suck with names, I even got Quintus out of a book for people who suck at thinking up names)))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
As he starts to leave, Ivor refuses to turn and face "Woody," offended that the man would try to invade his own thoughts. "I have no more questions," he says brusquely as he walks up to the surface.

Sarm is not so quick to leave as the others are, giving a narrowed look back at the man that communicates a response to what he had just sensed. He would then turn and step up, along with the others, his steps having a bit more intensity than they would have had before.

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff grins at Woody, and taps his finger on his temple before holding it upright in front of his lips.  Before the lucidity departs, he rushes to extract more information.

"Your council on my plan is sound, it is clear with that knowledge in hand that it was doomed to failure.  All success depends on either obtaining the monocle or learning the locations of the remaining artifacts.  Anything you tell us would be of assistance."

The man looks at Quintus, and a hint of a smile appears on his lips, but not his eyes. "Breaching the seminary's security will not be easy, but it can be done. The Rod is in an underground vault, located beneath the administration building on their campus. The vault is surrounded by forged steel, and there is only one entrance, which is at all times guarded by two veteran Paladins. Once the stairs are descended, a long hallway must be crossed, which is littered with traps and magical wards, and at the end of the hallway stand two watchmen, before a locked door.

"The only piece of that puzzle beyond your abilities would be the magical wards; however, Quintus, today is your lucky day." Suddenly, Quintus, a thought is implanted into your head. "These modifications to your Dispel Magic will allow it to bring down the much-higher-level wards surrounding the Rod of Pelor. The rest, I will leave to your very capable hands.

"As for the remaining Aspects, would that I could tell you exactly where they are and how to obtain them. Unfortunately, certain powerful magicks bind my tongue."

He acknowledges Kaff, if Kaff has anything to say, and then once that's done he turns back to Quintus. "By the way, it occurs to me that you may be interested in hearing some of my favorite vacation spots. I hear Ruby Keep is very nice this time of year. I also understand that your Alma Mater is holding a tournament soon, which may prove an interesting diversion. Iron Hill Village has an excellent, rustic-mountain-town atmosphere, and for a truly curious sight, you might be persuaded to brave the underwater monastery of Nin."

Quintus only
The scroll which he referred to as the Treaty of Worms now grows hot to the touch as the old man speaks, and his speech grows more and more labored when this happens.

"Now... If...." And then, the old man's composure changes. He slouches, his eyes lose their lucidity, and he degenerates into another cackling fit. Presumably, anyone who hadn't left yet, turns to go.

((Kaff will have time to say his piece in the middle of that, but otherwise I'll assume you're all heading toward the seminary. Nothing happens during the journey, but I expect that you all have some things to discuss during the journey, so you let me know when you arrive))

The old man considers what Kaff says. "I'm afraid I can't help you find the monocle. What I can tell you, however, is why you're gathering these artifacts.

"To put it bluntly, the entirety of existence is in danger. All planes - the Prime Material, the Abyss, the Nine Hells, the Celestial Temple, the Astral Sea; ALL of it is under threat by three immensely powerful beings know as the Eldrazi. Their coming was foretold eons ago, and the gods entered into a pact, each forging an artifact from a piece of their soul. When combined, these artifacts are said to create a weapon that can be used to defeat these Eldrazi, and stop them from reigning destruction upon all of creation.

"So, now you know what's at stake; I hope that fortifies your resolve somewhat."

Mike M

Nick N
"I assure you, sir, resolve is something I have in overwhelming abundance."

Kaff makes note of the locations that Woody clearly circumvented his mystically-enforced nondisclosure to hint that they contain the sacred relics.  Four locations plus the two in their possession already plus the rod and monocle left two unaccounted for, but it was a highly respectable sight.

Even if he had further questions, Woody's clarity of mind has evaporated, so Kaff returns to the cart with the rest of the party, placing the Hand in his meager hiding spot before taking a seat in the back.

"So, since convincing the priests to simply let us take the rod is out of the question, we are reduced to stealing it.  Charming.

"How do we wish to proceed?  Woody's intel on the location and defenses of the vault, while valuable, are only part of the equation here.  We need a plan of approach and egress...  If we had a day to wander the grounds and make notes of shift changes, layouts, that sort of thing, we may have enough to cobble a workable plan together.  Getting that day of wandering though..."

Sarm waits until he is away from the old man before speaking with his teammates, "There is something I do not trust about him. I am sure I will find out why eventually. I also do not like the idea of stealing Pelor's artifact from his followers, as a follower myself. You must understand why I cannot go with a plan to steal it."

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"I know, Sarm. I know. We will know what we must do when we meet them. I hope the most I will have to do is borrow the thing."

"We have yet to even speak to them yet. If they are truly good, then they should at least allow the people of the town to come to them, instead of having to bring the rod outside."

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff shakes his head.  "I don't doubt they would allow the townsfolk from Alydar to come to them to have the curse of the Hand broken, but I'm afraid that rather misses the point.  Our concern is that we keep the rod out of the hands of the cultists, having the ability to cure Alydar is merely a fringe benefit of our success.

"Leaving it at the seminary is simply not an option.  Even if it turns out to be a mighty fortress containing a whole host of holy warriors, I assure you the Arm can best it.  I know... from my own extensive personal research into the matter... that they have potentially the weight of the entirety of the king's army to wield.  Perhaps not overtly, but concocting a pretense would be no obstacle.

"One way or another, that rod leaves the seminary in our possession.  We are members of the Wormwood Initiates, and we possess the Treaty of Worms.  Perhaps it is best to not think of it as stealing so much as enforcing the terms of the treaty.  

"If we ask for the rod outright and are refused, it will make acquisition that much more difficult as they will undoubtedly suspect us of precisely what we discuss at this very moment.  I personally have no reason to distrust Woody.  Quite the opposite, actually, he was in the position to... Make things difficult, but stayed his hand."

Quintus suddenly joins the conversation, "Hmm... perhaps asking is exactly what he should do. And make it nice and loud, maybe even getting the attention of the guards? I'm willing to bet you could help with that Kaff, then me and Ivor will hopefully be able to get into the vault, unmolested."

Turns to think to himself for the moments that they are still near the tree stump, knowing that he is in the minority and very conflicted about what to do. He would allow the others to continue discussing a plan, at a loss for what would truly be the best option.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"Listen, we must not become enemies with these people! They are most likely good, honourable folk and these are the worst foes. If we tell them of the monocle and the danger they face they may well listen to us, maybe send a force with us to get these relics together? But what then..."

"I'm not a common thief and I'm certainly not ruling out taking the rod. It's just -" Ivor pauses as Woody's advice replays itself in his mind. "They must be capable of seeing sense."

Mike M

Nick N
"Alright, say we split the difference.  We can ask, but I highly recommend we at least... color their perception of the situation.  If that fails, we can create a diversion for Quintus and Ivor to penetrate the vault.

"Sarm, I realize this is only marginally better than outright plunder, but I do believe Pelor implores his followers to not be so concerned with stopping evil that they neglect to do good, and saving all existence strikes me as being a 'good' thing.

"Now then, we can assume that our request is not enough to convince them to let us have it, so the question becomes what would be sufficient to convince them.  Say we were posing as... Well, Sarm and another cleric from, say, Ruby Keep, bringing warning of the Vecna cultists and an edict to remove the rod from their custody for safety.  From whom would that request come?  Are there any protocols governing the handling of relics we'd need to address?  This would need to be a very authentic-looking document, the more detail I possess, the better off we are."

Sarm nods and finally admits, "It does seem that taking it is the best answer... If you'll excuse me, I need a moment alone for a bit before we depart..."

He will attempt to move into the forest so that he can be alone and not be interrupted by the others. If allowed to, he will begin to pray to his god for guidance,
"My god, the shining sun... I am prepared to make any sacrifice to my character, and become branded as a heretic if that is how they choose to view me... But my concern is with your view. Is what we are doing something that would displease you? Is this part of the mission that you have sent me on? I must know that this is not a mistake... And..." at this point he is beginning to bring tears to his face "I need your words in my heart more than ever at this very moment."

((For information pertaining to Kaff's questions about the laws and protocols for that situation, anyone trained in Knowledge Local can give me a check))

Sarm only
Your prayers do not receive a vocal answer; rather, unbidden, a feeling of calm washes over you, and you feel as though the weight on your soul isn't quite so heavy. The tears in your eyes dry, and you get the idea that, although he doesn't necessarily WANT you to steal the rod specifically, whichever path you choose in order to accomplish the greater good is one that Pelor would approve of.

((By the way, everyone, well done. Interesting conversation going on here.))

"Now then, we can assume that our request is not enough to convince them to let us have it, so the question becomes what would be sufficient to convince them.  Say we were posing as... Well, Sarm and another cleric from, say, Ruby Keep, bringing warning of the Vecna cultists and an edict to remove the rod from their custody for safety.  From whom would that request come?  Are there any protocols governing the handling of relics we'd need to address?  This would need to be a very authentic-looking document, the more detail I possess, the better off we are."

Quintus has seen quite a few authentic-looking documents while watching his parents run their company, some of them were probably even real, and plus he probably had his fair share to sign when he entered the academy. He decides to impart this knowledge to Kaff.

Code:
Knowledge Local: 1D20+14 => [ 12 ] +14 = 26

Quintus has indeed come across various official documents coming directly from Ruby Keep, and is quite confident that he can help Kaff come up with the proper formatting ((this fact alone will give Kaff a +2 on his Forgery check))

Moreover, Quintus is fairly certain that in an elective he took about Appraisals during his last year at the Academy, he was taught that the Library of Ioun had in recent years become the premiere gathering place for relics of historical importance, and the King had at some point christened the library as the National Royal Museum, and given the curator of that museum (whom you're pretty sure was Curzon) the title of Royal Acquisitions Officer for the Preservation of Rare Historical Artifacts. On more than one occasion, he has used that authority to pry priceless relics from the hands of greedy tycoons, and those relics are currently on display in the Library.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Not really sure what I can add here.))

Asking to take a look at any forgeries in process, Ivor decides he can add a handful of previous clients to back up their claims of worthiness. Having bodyguarded professional expeditions and carried out missions of subterfuge for some significant Alydarian organisations, he hopes he can put together a good resume to prove his worth - even if he must put spin on his accomplishments.

Code:
Knowledge Local: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  18 + 9 = 27

Ivor feels so confident in his ability to sell himself that he will use this resume of sorts even if a forgery isn't needed. Anything to get this rod to the suffering!

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff absorbs this information imparted to him.  "I've seen a number of contracts in my life too, hopefully between the lot of us we can produce something believable enough that I can at least attempt to explain away deficiencies by noting the suddenness and urgency with which our delegation was dispatched.  Something along those lines.  I have time enough to come up with something."

((Kaff's trained in Local Knowledge too, let me know if I should make a roll that could effect the outcome of this))

Kaff retrieves a folio of parchment paper, ink pot, and quill from his trunk.  He pulls out a sheet, and using the top of the trunk as a writing surface, begins to painstakingly draft a letter from some member of the church hierarchy detailing the threat of the Arm of Vecna, naming the Wormwood Initiates the guardians and custodians of the rod until the threat has passed.

Code:
Forgery check:  1d20 + 13 = 17
((Hm, maybe we'll just call that one the first draft...  Heh.))

Top Bottom