• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions/Community Feedback Regarding Project Morpheus

We need specs and details soon. Or at least a public video of exactly why this thing exists and why it's better than oculus (if it is)

Dear Sony,

Is there going to be a player limit regards # of VR users to a base system? For example, will only one user be allowed per system at any given time, or is the limit a bit more than that?

Also, even though you have not announced the price, most of us are expecting anything between $300-$400. While the most adamant players will likely buy at that price, have you considered simultaneously offering a subscription-based model for Morpheus, where the user can get it for smaller monthly payments and eventually pay off for the system (with interest) after a certain # of payments? Perhaps tying payments to PS+ ?

ZiZ

if we're talking about digital tourism, why settle for real locations?

I would love to just walk around a fantasy town from a JRPG or some floating islands with waterfalls and whatnot.

it could be great for movie tie ins, You could walk around Star Trek's Enterprise or Star wars' Mos Eisley Cantina.

Even real life locations could be improved upon, Like a digital Disney World with interactive Disney characters, more rides and no lines. Disney just released Frozen? Boom, add a new attraction.

However if you want to really get the casual crowd, it really needs the social/multiplayer aspect, even if it only supports it online. what's the point of walking around digital Paris or taking a digital romantic starlit boat ride if you go alone.

I'm really looking forward to the Morpheus VR set, I just hope that Sony won't incorporate any animal products into the final product, because I wouldn't buy a product that includes leather padding for example. And since animal welfare concerns are becoming more and more part of the public discourse, I bet I'm not the only one that feels that way.

I'm really looking forward to the Morpheus VR set, I just hope that Sony won't incorporate any animal products into the final product, because I wouldn't buy a product that includes leather padding for example. And since animal welfare concerns are becoming more and more part of the public discourse, I bet I'm not the only one that feels that way.
That's a trivial concern here; the last thing they'd want to do is jack up the price of the sets over needless components and it doesn't get much more needless than leather padding for "fashionable reasons." Even Apple doesn't do stuff like what you're talking about.

Will I be able to use this thing at all If I wear glasses?

Also is there going to be any adult content? This is a serious question. Has Sony considered this before?

Liberty4all

Banned
So, just a quick heads up I got a response back regarding this thread.

First off they ARE listening I was asked to make that very clear. The feedback in this thread is very helpful. Stuff like your opinions on cost, what you want to see happen with the unit, etc ... you can't get a better focus group than GAF when looking for the opinion of the hardcore audience. With that said, I can't promise any features we talk about (in this thread) will make it into the final unit (I don't want to set overexpectations or anything like that). I can only say that this early in the game they are listening VERY closely to what we think and this thread is a conduit directly to some of the braintanks back at SCEA.

What I know:

Date: There's no date at all. Not even close. As most of you know GDC is an event just to give devs a peek and I guess it also starts the industry hype train a little.

Specs: What you saw last night is about all that's firm right now

Cost: They have ideas of a range but it's still up in the air (like waaay up in the air). Which is why I mentioned your thoughts are very useful on this.

Bamelin, do you actually work for Sony? In what capacity?

I'm a member of the Sony MVP team. Sony MVP's are volunteers and do a whole bunch of different community oriented things -- alot to do with the PlayStation forums. GAF in my forum home, not the PlayStation forums, I prefered to forward community feedback from GAF. I communicate directly with several senior managers at SCEA.

I honestly don't even think I could put a price on something based on a principle of a theory of what the product is trying to be. I still know very little about this product. Something like this I would have to wait to see the finished product, wait for reviews and impressions from real people.

This thing just screams Kinect to me. All promise, vision and intent but fails in execution. Or how about that one fighting underground move game that came out when the move did. Man I can just picture myself doing all of these unique moves and the game mimicking them perfectly. All the devs and interviews seem really promising. Then the game releases and it's critically panned. I don't want this to happen with the VR thing. Don't blow smoke up our asses and just tell us how it is. VR really drives the imagination and creates an unrealistic impression thats different for everybody and if this thing releases and Sony is vague about the details your gonna have a lot of pissed off people.

Liberty4all

Banned
I honestly don't even think I could put a price on something based on a principle of a theory of what the product is trying to be. I still know very little about this product. Something like this I would have to wait to see the finished product, wait for reviews and impressions from real people.

This thing just screams Kinect to me. All promise, vision and intent but fails in execution. Or how about that one fighting underground move game that came out when the move did. Man I can just picture myself doing all of these unique moves and the game mimicking them perfectly. All the devs and interviews seem really promising. Then the game releases and it's critically panned. I don't want this to happen with the VR thing. Don't blow smoke up our asses and just tell us how it is. VR really drives the imagination and creates an unrealistic impression thats different for everybody and if this thing releases and Sony is vague about the details your gonna have a lot of pissed off people.

For me personally I have much more of a "Wii" vibe in terms of how I think this will hit the casual market (like a bomb). I mean if you think about it I can totally see them setting up in malls across North America and Europe, casuals lining up to try it. It may be a "fad" holiday purchase at some point but honestly that's all we need to propel the technology from niche to mainstream.

For me personally I have much more of a "Wii" vibe in terms of how I think this will hit the casual market (like a bomb). I mean if you think about it I can totally see them setting up in malls across North America and Europe, casuals lining up to try it. It may be a "fad" holiday purchase at some point but honestly that's all we need to propel the technology from niche to mainstream.
I'm not worried about advertising tbh; Sony's been pretty on-point regarding that and it would be interesting to see test units in local malls with reps on hand and what have you.

Like others have said I think a key point in attracting casuals would be in providing interactive software that isn't necessarily games like the virtual tours (which was mentioned at the conference), and imho, some sort of subscription-based model tied to PS+ for Morpheus. Because we know this won't be in the $250 range (but a surprise there is definitely welcome x3 )

geordiemp

Sony, remember what got you the lead in the console race this gen, best performing console at a sensible price.

Do the same with VR, don't skimp with an LCD screen, use a good low persistence screen / OLED.

Also don't leave it too long, we have the thirst, please release within a year...

Dec 2014 would be cool

EmSeta

Is there any way to stay in contact with the outside world, so that I won't get bludgeoned by burglars or accidentally neglect my kid screaming for help while playing?

Liberty4all

Banned
There's absolutely no way this thing launches at less than $300. People asking for $200 are insane.

I put this in another thread but here is my prediction:

I honestly think it will sell like hot potatoes, especially if they come out with some sort of PS4/VR bundle at a reasonable price. Let's assume 2 years from now holiday season 2015, with the PS4 having been price dropped to $299.

So a camera, Move, PS4 and VR unit + small VR game for $599.
Camera, Move, VR Unit + small VR Game for $299
VR Unit seperate for $250 (for users that already have the camera and Move)

All guesses on my part but reasonable I think?

I can totally see it going down like that. And selling gajillions, especially if it takes off as a fad item with the casual market ala motion controls with wii. And make no mistake, you will have VR displays set up EVERYWHERE in malls (my prediction but I think a pretty solid one) across North America and Europe. Everything we've heard about VR in general is that everyone leaves after trying it out with a "that was amazing!" type feeling.

I personally think this will be the MUST HAVE item whatever holiday season it launches.

Dire

I've seen who have no interest in videogames at all get excited after trying the Oculus Rift, if marketed well I believe Sony has a chance to appeal to other markets.

That, in my opinion, is the key. I've tried to describe OR to a number of friends who aren't really into games and they best they can wrap their head around it is basically as something like more immersive 3D TV which isn't really reasonable. They have doubts about the people completely freaking out when they watch the videos. Then they themselves try it and of course: "O..M...G... so, when's this coming?"

Get it into malls, bars, game stores, etc and it will market itself overnight. But you can spend all year (and however much money) talking about it and people will still be wondering if they can play their favorite FPS on it, or if it'll make the Avengers 3D look cooler.....

paskowitz

Get it into malls, bars, game stores, etc and it will market itself overnight. But you can spend all year (and however much money) talking about it and people will still be wondering if they can play their favorite FPS on it, or if it'll make the Avengers 3D look cooler.....

Bars... OMG. That would be hilarious. Can't drive a car in GT7VR, a cab is called for you.

Hodge podge of suggestions/questions:

Also FPV QB mode in Madden should be investigated

VR+Move+batting in a baseball game needs to happen.

The 360 binaural thing sounds awesome but the HW shown does not have special headphones? Do you need special HW for this feature?

Like I said before GT7 needs to have this. Biggest PS franchise + new HW = a good shot at success

Bring back something like Ace Combat or Tom Clancy's Hawks from the dead/to PS4VR.

Not going to lie, Titanfall 2 with VR would be pretty sweet. Would probably work better in mechs but I would like to see it.

I could also see a game like Sniper Elite or Sniper Ghost Warrior being awesome with VR. Being able to just stare into a richly detailed world to spot out an enemy sniper would be an awesome experience. Then use motion sensing to replicate gun sway.

StuBurns

Banned
I wonder if we will see enterprise applications ... Like VR meeting software. Probably more OR's forte but still.
Eventually, and I mean in like twenty years, VR could be an excellent enterprise tool for almost all computer desk based jobs. Because of the optics, light comes from infinity, so you don't get eye strain as you can from a monitor, and virtualized multi-montiors would be excellent for productivity versus cost and space.

ruttyboy

From my point of view:

- Don't care about form factor it can be ugly as it likes so long as it is comfortable for extended use

- Don't care about price below £400, I'd rather them spend the money to get the tech right than half-arse it to keep costs down (although obviously that withstanding, the lower the better)

- Don't care about any social or 'casual' apps or what have you, just games

- Sell a SKU without the camera for those of us who already have one

- PC support would be a massive bonus

Disclaimer: I've been waiting for VR since the 1980's, I'm probably not a median customer when it comes to this.

Jigorath

Banned
I would love a full reveal at E3, name, price, release date, and specs. But I wouldn't be surprised if that's too early.

Please make sure they don´t ´cheap out´. Launching at a lower cost but with a lesser impact will ruin the market and will make the whole enterprise fail. It must be sold to the hardcore first and word of mouth will get it across to the masses. A cheap version will likely sell a lot but will make sure people will tire of the experience very fast and the market will collapse.

OLED is a must. 1080p is nice but anything higher is better. 60fps is probably not enough and 90 should be the target.

aro52

Here we go:

1 - Don't focus on some magical consumer price point. Focus on making a truly incredible experience and product. Apple has proven that consumers will follow a great product and a great experience, regardless of price. Word of mouth will sell this product, and if you cut corners to hit a price point, early adopters will scream it from the roof tops and all their listeners will write the product off as a gimmick before ever trying it. With new tech like this, the first impression is HUGE. You can't get away with, "This is decent, but wait for our version 2.0!" You won't get to ever make 2.0 with that attitude.

2 - See #1.

3 - Ok, I'll add a #3. Yes, content is king. But remember... if the VR experience isn't up to snuff, people are just gonna wish to play that content on a tried and true regular TV instead.

Will it be possible for an enemy character resembling Russell Crowe, whose mind is possibly cobbled together from such infamous figures as Attila the Hun, Adolf Hitler, Charles Manson and Jeffrey Dahmer, to escape virtual reality and run amok in our world? If so who will stop him?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I understand that Sony is concerned about the sweetspot pricepoint and that they want this device to take off and get it in as much hands as possible, but i would really really like to see true immersion and presence at all costs.
That is the point of VR after all, so if the device needs to have a fairly high pricepoint, so be it.
Im willing to spend up to 500 Euro for the device if it is good enough.
Dont hestitate on graphical cutbacks, presence is the top priority - graphical wise, price wise.

maybe 2 SKUs can do it, one with extra sauce and all and a bare one for a cheaper price.. i dont know.
Im also willing to pay that eraly adopters fee and subsidize the device for the broader audience to some degree.
Just dont fuck it up Sony!

Also get that eye tracking in!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My suggestion is - don't worry too much about the price. This is an enthusiast thing that won't sell millions out of gate regardless of price. Make it $300-$350 if need be like, the OR devkits, but make sure the tech in it is literally top of the line. The enthusiasts that would be buying this won't forgive if the tech is not up to stuff. Use OLED if that looks better, basically do anything to make it as good as possible, even if it increases price a bit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
regarding name:
according to the Play, Create, Share, Move theme - what about PS Reach
I like that

PS Dreamcast. Because it broadcasts lucid dreams right into your brain. Patent pending!

On a more serious note, it should be a name that brings home the point that it puts you inside the experience like you're there. Something to do with experience, presence, immersion, being there. "Reach" doesn't really do that for me. Hmm.

They could continue the Vita theme and go with a latin word. In that case I vote for PS Sentio.

The Latin Word Sentio has many meanings, mainly: feel, perceive, experience ...

http://www.latinwordlist.com/latin-words/sentio-29331111.htm

Or, translating that to something a bit more understandable, PS Sense. As in, it makes you really sense the game world you're in, in several ways (vision, hearing, sort of touch via Move putting your hands in the world, etc).

Majmun

Tell us more about the NASA partnership. Since the VR is planned to only work for the Ps4, what's their take on this?

androvsky

I'm not sure what I can add that hasn't already been said, but:

1. Virtual tourism. Seriously. Real-world and fantasy/video game settings. I'd also like to see Sony develop a 3D omnidirectional video camera to make virtual tours of real places like the Wii U one. I could imagine National Geographic just going nuts with one of those cameras. Take one into places people normally can't go or spend much time in, like the area around Chernobyl. And yes, I'm aware it's a real engineering challenge and the video stream alone would be pushing the PS4 pretty hard, but I think it'd be worth it, especially for mass market interest. But I get the feeling that if any company could do it, it'd be Sony. And VR would be the only reason why.

2. Virtual cinema. I know Sony's working on it anyway, but if they go the expensive route it should have high enough resolution so that a portion of it can still be used as a good TV replacement. Maybe throw in a simple GPU to handle the cinema part so that even normal PS4 games can be played on it.

3. Get a licensed, quality Tron game on it. Don't wait for Disney to crap out a movie tie-in rush job for the next movie.

The 360 binaural thing sounds awesome but the HW shown does not have special headphones? Do you need special HW for this feature?
All that's required is normal stereo headphones (speakers don't work very well). The special sauce is in the audio processing on the system. Aureal 3D made a sound card 15 years ago for the PC that did this (and more!). I'm a bit annoyed that no one's using it currently, given the rise in popularity of headphones for gaming.

Control scheme is going to make or break this thing. A new iteration of Move with dual analog sticks and more intuitive buttons would work (obviously ones that you can press blindly), but what we really need is gloves with some sort of feedback when you grab or touch something (doesn't have to be advanced, vibration for example). I'm sure it would be very difficult/expensive to implement, but man would it take it to the next level.

The current Move is not good enough, imo.

Performance > Cost

On the subject of cost, given the price of OLED panels and Move wands, $199 seems achieveable for the headset alone. Am I way off base here? I have no idea how much the optics cost.

They say VR is a new medium. Are they going to treat it as a new platform as well, and sell the hardware at or near cost to drive adoption, or will it be subject to "standard accessory pricing"?

Are they planning on OLED for the final product? Why or why not?

Are they planning on dual displays for the final product? Why or why not?

What FoV and frame rates are they targeting? Will frame rates be selectable by devs? By users?

What's the source of the "half-moons" at the edges of the display? Can they be corrected without messing something else up? Why or why not?

We have a fairly good grasp of how the camera tracking works, but how do the inertial sensors factor in? Exactly how are the two systems wedded?

Does the Move API report fixed coordinates, relative movement, or both? Exactly how is the data reported? What's the accuracy of the inertial sensors?

What are the current sources of latency in the system, what's being done to improve them, and how much improvement can we expect from each source?

Are the Move wand glitches that people are reporting simply software bugs in the demos, or are they caused by actual tracking failures?

How much does GPGPU/hUMA help "VR stuff," be it motion tracking, binaural audio mapping, geometry calculations, or whatever else is needed? What work is being offloaded now, and how much can be offloaded in the future as tools improve?

Can I get like 4-6 hours to interview Rick, Anton, and Mark? I promise to post a really super-duper-informative thread! :D

I realize a lot of this stuff is still up in the air, but even ballpark targets would be nice to have for now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

For an example (the best example I know of, actually) of the kind of 3D audio that can be accomplished with simple stereo sound, listen to this (you MUST use headphones, ordinary stereo ones):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HprNPCRyP40

Not saying what Sony's doing will be exactly like this, but it shows that you don't need surround headphones for 3D audio. It's all about processing the sound in a way that emulates the shape of the human ear. The distortions your ears (and also your head itself a bit) cause to sounds coming from different directions is how you can actually tell if something is in front of or behind you, and above or below. Without the ears' special shape (as in, if you just had two holes) you could really only tell left from right, and nothing more.

Here's my thoughts on the whole thing:

I felt burnt badly on Move. You guys promised a better control and great support going forward and it never came. The technology worked fantastic but you never managed to gather enough support to make it feel like I got my money's worth based off the hype and that may be my own fault but going forward it makes it difficult for someone like me to purchase what will be a much more expensive gadget on empty promises again.

You have to manage to get this outside of the niche and I think that will come down to relying on third party support while focusing on other avenues within the potential brand with experiences and not necessarily just games. You have to get things like virtual tourism, movies and experiences to promote themselves through the technology. You cannot rely on the hardcore to support this device and make it successful, you need to focus on garnering casual support to get enough units out there for the games to follow.

It's worrying when the Kinect (sorry, guys it has to be brought up) is coming bundled with every Xbox One and yet the support STILL isn't following. It doesn't bode well for the health of this product.

I guess what I'm saying is don't try to sell me on a vision - sell me on tangible experiences. I want to be able to see the future of the product before I buy it this time. Have real games, have real showcases and a decent price. I'm not going to be roped in on hype alone this time, especially with how expensive this will be.

Good luck ;D

I'm an enthusiast and as an enthusiast I would want to have the best experience possible. If that means I'll have to pay a little bit more to have more future-proofed technology, then within reason so be it.

I'm not suggesting a money no object approach. But If it's a choice between a compromised 299 over a more capable 399, I would be happy to pay the extra.

I love this!

Cost: No higher than $300, preferably bundled with the Camera ($250 without camera?) Also, if most of your VR games are better with Move then you should really bundle that too.

Don't even bother releasing Morpheus if you don't include that amazing eye tracking system. And I'd like the FOV to be bigger, but the most important thing is really the latency, improve that beyond all else.

And I expect and hope Morpheus to be released by 2015, you should release around the same time the Oculus Rift does. Sure, you would be competing, but together you two would wiggle VR into the zeitgeist and everything would blast off.

Edit - Strongly consider having PC support. VR is the future, secure it.

My biggest concerns right now as a consumer are:

1. Is it better/on equal terms with the Oculus Rift. From what I've seen so far for this to be proper it requires the PS Camera which means I'm limited to where I can stand/play with this thing and I have to add even more accessories to enjoy it. Prove to me that this device is worth it and that if I had to choose one over the other that this is the better choice. As of right now it looks like a gimmick ala Move that won't get any major standing in gaming.

2. Show me the support. How many games will implement this effectively to the point it's a better/more immersive experience to play with this. Shooters are the obvious answer but if I have to get a move plus the camera plus this that's 3 devices I gotta get. That means more clutter.

I'm pretty much extremely skeptical as these devices have never really gotten much standing outside of a few gimmicks. The Kinect's biggest selling point nowadays? Practically complete control over your xbox menu, apps and tv watching. This VR's selling point? So far the only one I can see is 'the oculus rift of consoles'.

make an AO game please.

also keep it under $200.

unsure if the 5 points are enough for tracking purposes when OR seems to have a ton...

also, im heavily disappointed about the mandatory blue glow.

I think the specs need to be given more importance than a low cost. I don't know if Sony is planning on releasing updated versions of this device, but if not, get it the best it can be and the enthusiasts will pick it up at a higher price to begin with, and the casuals will eventually get it when the price drops.

First impressions on a new device like this are extremely important for the public. It's better to have an initially more expensive product that wows than a cheaper product that disappoints.

Hoodbury

For me the most important thing will be demo's for the public to use. VR is something so new that it's something I'm not going to buy unless I get to try it myself first. VR isn't something a preview on IGN can explain enough for me to just preorder and buy on a whim.

You need to get this thing out in demo stations for us to try. Either at Kiosks in malls, in brick and mortor stores like Best Buy and Gamestop and as many other opportunities for Joe Public to get to try it.

No amount of hype will get me to buy a VR machine without getting to try it myself first.

Top Bottom