• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rabid Fanboy Post with Fake Info on Last of Us AKA a big FU to Thread Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

TR is as generic as a game can be. Survival was an advertising tag line in that game, nothing more. Why compare it to that?

Apparently being able to heal a wound is now a big FU to all AAA games. LOL.

Nah man, TLOU will be as hardcore of a game anyone has ever played. Only true badasses should even attempt to play it. Hell just getting passed the opening menu will put hairs on your chest. Naughty Dog is creating the last significant game of all time here bro.

Luthos

Some interesting info which will be drowned out by stupid posts about the "a big FU to conventional AAA games" comment. Which was also stupid.

edit: oh, and also worrying about the input lag.

Yes and it is refreshing. I applaud them for trying this. I have nothing against shooters but lately every one seems to be making the same kind of game irrespective of themes. Adventuring - Shooting, Survival - Shooting etc etc.. Nice to see a big budget game actually implementing one shot kills, one hit kills etc...

Fair enough then.

Well I am really looking forward to The Last of Us, Naughty Dog have been nothing but fantastic this generation. I just think the term "FU to conventional AAA games" should be reserved for more niche stuff like isometric RPG's and vertical shmups, rather than Third Person Shooters, no matter how unique they may be.

Anyway, hell yeah The Last of Us. Can't come soon enough.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Why must you guys always throw shit around with stupid thread titles like this?

On topic: New info sounds fantastic, I can't wait.

The way it seems to be implemented in TLOU completely changes the game in both strategy and pace.

It could be innovative for the genre.

Its an interesting little mechanic but thats about it.

For all we know, the game could well be really linear, full of scripted moments, automated gameplay with dull little "puzzles" etc. Stuff that given NDs pedigree with the UC series seems quite likely. And UC is as generic AAA as a game can be.

Comparing it to something like TR and saying its breaking all norms is like me comparing Bioshock to Call of duty and saying its a big FU to AAA games. All of them are the same simplified games. Maybe a change here and there but thats it.

FWIW I do think the game looks and sounds good and in all likelihood will be better than the UC series. But I doubt you will find anything genre changing in it. Its as "AAA" as any other game coming out.

water1111

Banned
So a cimenatic, third persion shooter with multiplayer with "survival" elements is considered a fu to conventional games? LOL

Bet the thread starter only played uncharted this generation.

red731

So a cimenatic, third persion shooter with multiplayer with "survival" elements is considered a fu to conventional games? LOL

Bet the thread starter only played uncharted this generation.

I think it is more about health kits not lying everywhere, sparce ammo to not waste, wounds (ed:even after healing) having impact on gameplay and stuff like that.

These details seem promising if they carry over to the final game.

I'm fully expecting you to find body armor and full auto weapons by the end and have the thing devolve into yet another AAA coverfest, especially considering ND's track record.

Shinta

Banned

For all we know, the game could well be really linear, full of scripted moments, automated gameplay with dull little "puzzles" etc. Stuff that given NDs pedigree with the UC series seems quite likely. And UC is as generic AAA as a game can be.

Comparing it to something like TR and saying its breaking all norms is like me comparing Bioshock to Call of duty and saying its a big FU to AAA games. All of them are the same simplified games. Maybe a change here and there but thats it.

FWIW I do think the game looks and sounds good and in all likelihood will be better than the UC series. But I doubt you will find anything genre changing in it. Its as "AAA" as any other game coming out.

If you're going to spend a lot of time walking around half speed because of wounds or stealth, I can't imagine there's an extreme abundance of non-linear exploring.

Jtrizzy

I'm hyped for this game somewhat, but I worry that it will rely on qte's. Not that I wasn't already burned out on them, but Tomb Raider is really killing me with them right now.

Ryuhza

Banned
mqdefault.jpg

You fucking people.... can't get over the thread title?

What's with all the cries of this being a "generic" AAA? The title was perhaps a little overenthusiastic in nature, but do we really need to devolve what could be a discussion on the actual information than roping the title into the black and white arguments with games that have shooting in them or linear/open world?

Also, would input lag be that concerning with a game like this? Fast paced Uncharted and overclocked PCs are one thing, but a console game aiming to have a rather slow pace doesn't seem extremely concerning (yet) personally.

antonz

Pressing R1 3 times to heal a wound is a big FU alright *rollseye* more like another QTE. Stuff like this isn't new. Its been done before and the reason you don't see it much is the average gamer is whiny and doesn't want to have to deal with extra stuff like this in their quest to pew pew.

Jtrizzy

Also, "Mash square to move dresser in front of door" and press forward to move through small crevice that leads to linear path. I'm keeping my expectations in check for this game.

Pressing R1 3 times to heal a wound is a big FU alright *rollseye* more like another QTE. Stuff like this isn't new. Its been done before and the reason you don't see it much is the average gamer is whiny and doesn't want to have to deal with extra stuff like this in their quest to pew pew.

From what I've seen, you'll have to select the items independently first and then hold the button to "heal". If you even have all the items on hand. Not sure about the health pack, which may be a quicker process.

Last time I checked that isn't a QTE.

Superflat

Pressing R1 3 times to heal a wound is a big FU alright *rollseye* more like another QTE.

If the bullet points listed are true, R1 brings up your inventory where you select items to use, like the mentioned disinfectant and bandage.

in order to stop losing health, you have to get the bullet out of the wound, disinfect it with alcohol or antiseptic and bind the wound. all by holding the r1 button one by one.

by just pressing the r1 button, it will only pop up the crafting menu.

Sometimes I wonder if people know what quick time events are!

Akainu

If the bullet points listed are true, R1 brings up your inventory where you select items to use, like the mentioned disinfectant and bandage.

Sometimes I wonder if people know what quick time events are!

More like putting the ass in assumptions.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sounds like it has massive amounts of potential if they can properly pull it off. Not feeling good about that input lag talk, but I'll give a thorough analysis of the early demo whenever that gets activated.

- he understood the listen mode for people who don't play with headphones, because with them, you can hear every sound the infected are doing from far away and therefore have definitely a better overview. while in listen mode, you can see enemies through more than 2 walls, also which type of enemies are ahead of you and which direction they are facing.

Yeah, this is good news but I do wonder how much the game is built around using listen mode. If it's no different to Instinct, etc than turning it off, etc is pretty much irrelevant.

Very excited by the rest of the news (barring the input lag, why even do such a thing???), sounds exactly like the survival game Tomb Raider whould have been had it not changed direction.

Input lag is probably intentional. They wouldn't want you to be able to pull off headshots like it was nothing, that would remove all the threat in a game like this. I honestly don't mind as long as it's not like killzone 2 or something.

Kumo

Input lag is probably intentional. They wouldn't want you to be able to pull off headshots like it was nothing, that would remove all the threat in a game like this. I honestly don't mind as long as it's not like killzone 2 or something.

This.

From the trailers, it looked like you needed to take your time to aim your shots so I'm sure if there is any input lag, it is intentional. Hopefully, they fine-tune it as much as they can before release.

Thread title makes me think Naughty Dog fans will repeat throwing hissy fits over <9.5 reviews. Review thread will be a bloodbath.

callofcthulhuhealthinventory.jpg

call-of-cthulhu-dark-corners-of-the-earth-20051104000142444-000.jpg

Any game trying to be close to Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth's health system is admirable. Seriously, play that game. MGS 3 is pants compared to it.

Vision blurs if you're shot around the face, you limp, and even a heavy beating heart rate shakes the controller forever until you resolve the issue.

If you leave a wound for too long, it goes from needing a bandage to suture and then to splint, all 3 require different materials. If you have serious leg injuries that require splints, then the leg affected will make you limp in gameplay and from that specific leg. It's pretty involving when it happens as the screen will jerk up and down as if you're limping, and so this requires your immediate attention to heal the leg.

Yjynx

I don't know, probably for the same reasons why Uncharted 3 is a terrible game, GoW:A sucks and KZ2 is unplayable....

huh? sarcasm? Both U3 and KZ2 are fine game by me. I'll withhold GoW:A until I play it. Seriously what's wrong with people in here?

meta4

Wow, even details like that can get people salty on here? Smh.

And these are great details btw, thanks for posting.

Thank Secretarial Dog! Regarding people being salty I am coming from so many similar TP games like UC3,Gears,RE6,DS3,TR etc etc which are so similar these days irrespective of the story, situation etc.. Seeing KZSF after listening to how they are referring to cold war berlin and see it play the same as every COD game we have seen. just bummed me out and so these details were so refreshing to me and I think it is a huge risk given it's high budgets. It may not turn out good but I am so glad they are taking an off beaten path and trying to be true to their atmosphere and grave situation the characters are in. Hope they pull it of!

Yeah, this is good news but I do wonder how much the game is built around using listen mode. If it's no different to Instinct, etc than turning it off, etc is pretty much irrelevant.

Very excited by the rest of the news (barring the input lag, why even do such a thing???), sounds exactly like the survival game Tomb Raider whould have been had it not changed direction.

This is one thing I am worried about. I hope the game is not designed around this mode and that we can play it well without it. More details on this would be welcome.

I don't know, probably for the same reasons why Uncharted 3 is a terrible game and KZ2 is unplayable....

Pre or post patch?

Pre-patch, the games weren't very good at all, KZ2 was indeed nigh on unplayable. UC3 less so, but still had some major issues with aiming controls/lag. Let's not pretend these issues didn't exist, they were very real and caused a lot of problems until they were patched.

This is one thing I am worried about. I hope the game is not designed around this mode and that we can play it well without it. More details on this would be welcome.

Some footage of the game with and without the mode in use is what's required. Perhaps the demo coming soon will give us a good idea of how it works. I have high hopes it's not built around it though, would be pretty silly to have such a well designed, true survival game that bucks most trends and have it built around a mode that takes all tension out of the game.

The process to get the bullet out of the wound is not presented realistically, it would be too bloody and brutal.

I hope this is a quote from your friend and not a justification from the developers.

Severe-Wound.jpg

(Far Cry 2)

Too brutal for a game where you show a close-up cinematic of a dude's head being blasted with a shotgun?

in order to stop losing health, you have to get the bullet out of the wound, disinfect it with alcohol or antiseptic and bind the wound. all by holding the r1 button one by one.

That sounds like a Heavy Rain QTE :/

Akainu

It's like this is the first time people have heard of the last of us. They have shown how healing works. It's not a qte.

BadAss2961

Nah, Call of Duty series is a much better example of a AAA game being as generic as possible. Uncharted was far from generic before people started imitating it.

The realtime pain, bleeding, and healing mechanics of TLoU might just sound interesting on paper. But when you think about how it could affect gameplay, it has the potential to play a role in pacing the game a certain way that we haven't really seen before.

nikos

To be honest, I kind of lost some interest in the game after reading some of that. Not being able to shoot without aiming takes away from the realism. When you're being hunted, you don't always have time to look down your sights and aim. Reminds me of Resident Evil, where you'd have to stop walking to shoot. It's the reason why I haven't played a Resident Evil game since the second.

Akainu

The realtime pain, bleeding, and healing mechanics of TLoU might just sound interesting on paper. But when you think about how it could affect gameplay, it has the potential to play a role in pacing the game a certain way that we haven't really seen before.
So are you saying it's a bad thing or a good thing?
To be honest, I kind of lost interest in the game after reading some of that. Not being able to shoot without aiming takes away from the realism. When you're being hunted, you don't always have time to look down your sights and aim. Reminds me of Resident Evil, where you'd have to stop walking to shoot. It's the reason why I haven't played a Resident Evil game since the second.
The point is you don't have all the ammo in the world so every shot counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom