• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rabid Fanboy Post with Fake Info on Last of Us AKA a big FU to Thread Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

I'm thinking this game might be this generations God of War 2, where we're on the cusp of the next cycle of consoles, and just before they come out it grabs people's attention as one last hurrah before everyone moves on.

Edit: GoW 2 came out after PS3 and x360. Ignore me. :)

I'm really confused about this game. I was interested, then I was meh and now my hype is starting to rise again. I'll try the demo, best way to know.

But thank you for the news OP (and obviously Secretarial Dog)

nikos

The point is you don't have all the ammo in the world so every shot counts.

I understand that, and like the concept, but don't think you should be told how to use the bullets you have. Taking the risk with blind firing would add more suspense to the game IMO.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I understand that, and like the concept, but don't think you should be told how to use the bullets you have. Taking the risk with blind firing would add more suspense to the game IMO.

And in the context of a game you haven't played, how do you know that? Something tells me that the last thing to create tension in this game is the way you waste bullets.

Akainu

You were just talking about realism awhile ago. If you are a seasoned criminal like Joel. Why would you waste bullets when they are scarce?

What a ridiculous thread title lol.

Game sounds great, but yeah.
Pretty much. I'm getting this on release and the info in the OP sounds interesting, though not exactly mind-blowing but when I clicked the thread I expected something like no online pass, preorder exclusives or free DLC.

That kind of agressive enthusiasm doesn't bode well for the review thread.

nikos

And in the context of a game you haven't played, how do you know that? Something tells me that the last thing to create tension in this game is the way you waste bullets.

I think we've seen enough of the game to get a good idea of how it's going to work. It's also been that way for me in most shooters. When I'm low on bullets/health and have enemies on me, part of the thrill is deciding whether I should risk my bullets with blind fire or risk my health with aiming.

You were just talking about realism awhile ago. If you are a seasoned criminal like Joel. Why would you waste bullets when they are scarce?

Everybody needs to blind fire, or shoot from the hip, at some point. I don't think this is a game breaker, I just don't see why they'd add such realism with hit boxes and take it away by not letting you fire a gun from the hip.

Right, thanks alot Secretarial Dog! Much appreciated.

If ND go even just a little too far with these mechanics then the game most likely won't review anywhere near well as Uncharted anyway.

People should just be happy that a top tier studio is actually making an attempt at a survival game with actual survival game mechanics.

Or, you know. Get upset about thread titles, lol.

meta4

Pretty much. I'm getting this on release and the info in the OP sounds interesting, though not exactly mind-blowing but when I clicked the thread I expected something like no online pass, preorder exclusives or free DLC.

Who cares about reviews. The enthusiasm is coming not from extreme confidence that the game will be superb. It is coming from the fact that ND is doing something different and not making another over the top shooter that has been the trend lately irrespective of context within the game. The game could turn out to be bad and that still would not change the fact that I am glad that a big studio is taking this gamble. You seem to be more worried about the reviews more than the people excited about this game.

Sessler: "As careful, as you have to be it's still a fast paced game."

Neil Druckmann: "That's the thing we always wanted to keep. You can go in guns blazing, you can stealth...all those things have to be fun."

Oh god, Derrick will lose it hearing about this trying to be a hybrid stealth action game ;)

Who cares about reviews. The enthusiasm is coming not from extreme confidence that the game will be superb. It is coming from the fact that ND is doing something different and not making another over the top shooter that has been the trend lately irrespective of context within the game. The game could turn out to be bad and that still would not change the fact that I am glad that a big studio is taking this gamble. You seem to be more worried about the reviews more than the people excited about this game.

I don't give a fuck about reviews. I'm just saying that's the kind of blind enthusiasm that led to the debacle of the UC3 review thread last time around, when people started pissing blood when the game got an 8 from Eurogamer.
Let's not pretend this had nothing to do with that kind of cheerleading.

meta4

Sessler: "As careful, as you have to be it's still a fast paced game."

Neil Druckmann: "That's the thing we always wanted to keep. You can go in guns blazing, you can stealth...all those things have to be fun."

Oh god, Derrick will lose it hearing about this trying to be a hybrid stealth action game ;)

Andrew Yoon from Weekend Confirmed after playing the clicker segment

I saw a lot of game over screen's for every journo playing the game. You play this game like Uncharted you are fked. Planning is crucial and essential to progress

You make it sound like it is Splinter Cell Conviction. That is a hybrid stealth action game

I don't give a fuck about reviews. I'm just saying that's the kind of blind enthusiasm that led to the debacle of the UC3 review thread last time around, when people started pissing blood when the game got an 8 from Eurogamer.
Let's not pretend this had nothing to do with that kind of cheerleading.

Well those people will always be pissed so no one can help it. Infact I am glad Eurogamer gave UC3 a 8. It did not deserve anything more. It is average at best..

Shinta

Banned
Either you don't own a PS3 or you're determined to dislike it. Strange behaviour.

Not really. I own a PS3, and I've been interested for the most part but this isn't that revolutionary. Hurt so you walk slow. Every game with any kind of fatigue system does this already. Heal from a menu, definitely been done before.

I mean, it's cool people are excited but it's not that impressive to me. Arm hurts so your aim sucks. Is that really that crazy? Does this sound like it's actually going to make the game better? I'm unsure honestly.

If ND go even just a little too far with these mechanics then the game most likely won't review anywhere near well as Uncharted anyway.

Just the fact that the game doesn't pause when you're in your inventory or when you heal will rub some people the wrong way. And we also know that the way they're handling one of the infected has already upset some journalists.
Sessler mentioned that some journalists weren't happy that the Clicker is a one hit kill. But it seems perfect for that world. If you're going to make it feel dangerous then you need to have something like that roaming around.

Everything else sounds interesting.

Button mashing QTEs as part of gameplay is never a positive for me. Pressing a button once or moving the stick? Ok, if you must. But don't make me mash like an idiot.

Rest sounds a little more mixed than I would like, but need to be realistic about a game in 2013 and this is probably about as good as we can hope for.

FaceDa

Banned
Either you don't own a PS3 or you're determined to dislike it. Strange behaviour.

Nope I own a PS3 and Vita and love all the Uncharted games and am pretty excited for this but I was expecting a LOT more than "You press R1 a lot to heal" from how much this is being hyped as the anti-AAA game.

"in order to stop losing health, you have to get the bullet out of the wound, disinfect it with alcohol or antiseptic and bind the wound"

Awesome! That sounds really involved and complex like it's gonna take some effort and skill and...

"all by holding the r1 button one by one."

Oh.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Not really. I own a PS3, and I've been interested for the most part but this isn't that revolutionary. Hurt so you walk slow. Every game with any kind of fatigue system does this already. Heal from a menu, definitely been done before.

I mean, it's cool people are excited but it's not that impressive to me. Arm hurts so your aim sucks. Is that really that crazy? Does this sound like it's actually going to make the game better? I'm unsure honestly.

It's how it all comes together. I haven't played it myself so I can't be certain, but I have a really great imagination and can visualise how it will play. I can imagine the atmosphere too. Each element will play into the theme of the game instead of it just being there. Of course we also know that we'll get great characterisations and character development, as well as grown up dialogue (and I don't mean swearing). The whole package is what counts and I believe this is going to be something very special. It hasn't even released yet and it's already scaring the hell out of fans of other consoles!

Awesome! That sounds really involved and complex like it's gonna take some effort and skill and...

That isn't really the point. The interesting thing is you will be hampered until you complete these actions, which may take a little bit of time.

When you are trying to survive or fight enemies off, it gives a bit more weight to getting shot beyond "roll into cover for 2 seconds to get full health back lol roll back out"

What? What does this even mean? How are you equating defending QTEs with traveling to Somalia?

That's the "immersion" part that made me tilt. Ok pressing buttons is different than QTE but you'll never have the immersion like you seem you want it to be. So for real surviving "immersion" you should go to these places (ok my post is shit but you get the idea).

I don't like QTE too but the rest even if has been done before seems to be well implemented here. We can't have something fun with accessible gameplay and a well constructed story / scenario without making compromises.

Even in realistic games like simulators the immersion is most of time a joke if you compare to real professionals simulators (maybe Flight Simulator is ok?)

Also video games are like books or movies, you need to use you imagination to add to the immersion. If the game is well done, pushing a button can feel like doing a lot more (read the Spec Ops : The Line thread).

It's not the actual thing you're doing which is important but the capacity the devs have to make the whole thing believable and at the same time enjoyable.

(once again sorry for my poor quality post...)

meta4

Nope I own a PS3 and Vita and love all the Uncharted games and am pretty excited for this but I was expecting a LOT more than "You press R1 a lot to heal" from how much this is being hyped as the anti-AAA game.

"in order to stop losing health, you have to get the bullet out of the wound, disinfect it with alcohol or antiseptic and bind the wound"

Oh.

Healing takes time and is in real time making you prone to more attacks. That is where the challenge comes in apart from finding the resources to heal. You go to the inventory and use the item. What complexity and skill do you want in using the antiseptic? You want a mini game for using antiseptic and another mini game for alcohol or something?

FaceDa

Banned
That isn't really the point. The interesting thing is you will be hampered until you complete these actions, which may take a little bit of time.

When you are trying to survive or fight enemies off, it gives a bit more weight to getting shot beyond "roll into cover for 2 seconds to get full health back lol roll back out"

I hope it works out well, but right now wouldn't it just be roll into cover, press R1, roll back out?

I hope it works out well, but right now wouldn't it just be roll into cover, press R1, roll back out?

Have you seen any gameplay of this? If the AI is as aggressive and flank happy as the videos have looked, I'm pretty sure it'll be more than a cover shooter.

Making the injury healing process cumbersome and menu heavy wouldn't help anyone. There's more going on here than just "hide in cover, hold R1."

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Input lag is pretty concerning, and liking it because it "gives realistic weight to characters" brings me back to Killzone 2's weak rationale.

And hailing the game as the true survival experience, delivering FU's to AAA titles such as TR is a bit premature at this point. After all, we rarely see through the smokes, mirrors, and "advertising taglines" so early and through exclusive previews.

TLOU may beat out its peers for all I know, but it's promising so much out of these aging consoles that a little bit of skepticism is fairly due. So let's not make any proclamations that'll make us look silly in a few months.

Have you seen any gameplay of this? If the AI is as aggressive and flank happy as the videos have looked, I'm pretty sure it'll be more than a cover shooter.

Making the injury healing process cumbersome and menu heavy wouldn't help anyone. There's more going on here than just "hide in cover, hold R1."

That's one of the best things about it so far. How dynamic the AI is and you can adjust your playstyle on the fly.

Superflat

It is coming from the fact that ND is doing something different and not making another over the top shooter that has been the trend lately irrespective of context within the game. The game could turn out to be bad and that still would not change the fact that I am glad that a big studio is taking this gamble.

It's basically this, the way I see it. It could end up a flawed game, but the potential is very exciting. They're showing something that could end up being a lot more interesting and challenging to play than what is the standard TPS today.

They showed how crafting and applying things take time (crafting molotov/upgrading melee bat and applying a bandage). Managing items and time during a stressful situation while you're bleeding or hurt, and making sure you have enough bullets, keeping track of two or more enemies and holding it all together could turn out either really frustrating or really satisfying when you get out of that scrape alive. Almost every written article about the infected encounters talked about the intensity, dying often, or feeling like they eeked through the demo.

That description isn't really what I think of when I hear about a AAA game in the works, and it makes me wonder if that's how the final game will really be. There's a chance there will be some sort of cop out of the challenge (for instance, every time you're about to bite it, ellie or another npc will constantly buy you time or help you out) but we can't see that till we have the game in our systems.

The gameplay also seems to falls in line with the general tone of the game that they showed so far. It's a harsh, uncompromising world with real dangers, and it looks like they're showing a pretty intimate story about two people crossing the nation-- a pretty humble premise. That they cited the very quiet-yet-horrifically-brutal No Country for Old Men and The Road sounds very refreshing compared to the thrills-per-minute AAA games being created, especially from the studio that brought us the bombastic Uncharted series. From what the devs are saying, they sound like they have something to prove, and that drive is a good thing in my book.

I'm knowingly putting in all my hype chips into this since I trust Naughty Dog. Will be massively disappointed if it turns out a dud. Partly my fault but I do what I want with my hype!

meta4

Input lag is pretty concerning, and liking it because it "gives realistic weight to characters" brings me back to Killzone 2's weak rationale.

And hailing the game as the true survival experience, delivering FU's to AAA titles such as TR is a bit premature at this point. After all, we rarely see through the smokes, mirrors, and "advertising taglines" so early and through exclusive previews.

TLOU may beat out its peers for all I know, but it's promising so much out of these aging consoles that a little bit of skepticism is fairly due. So let's not make any proclamations that'll make us look silly in a few months.

The FU is because this game is a gamble. Whether the different elements come together well we will only know after the game releases. What we can most certainly say from the hands on previews is that this game is not an over the top TPS with lots of ammo and it most certainly has drastic consequences like one hit kills, deaths etc which to me is a FU to the current trend of AAA game that are coming out. One of the major reasons why the only game keeping me excited is Infinite and TLOU. Even the next gen stuff seems so by the numbers nonsense plaguing most AAA games that I have seen. Whether the game gets a 7 or a 10 will not change that.

Seep

Everything sounds great apart from the input lag. Why would you intentionally gimp the player? Downgraded to a rent at the moment.

danmaku

Sounds like malaria and gun jamming in Far Cry 2.

Sounds like malaria and gun jamming in Far Cry 2.

Oh God, nightmare fuel.

I hope it's a lot more refined, because the malaria mechanic was pretty damn infuriating. Gun jamming wasn't so bad once you bought some of the better weapons, but it was still rather annoying.

Thanks for the thread.
Here is the rest from the information post.

- you can even use a sharp pencil as a weapon

- at one time in the development process of tlou there was a command interface for ellie but was kicked after testing it. naughty dog doesn't want it to be a tactical shooter and it also would be inappropriate to command ellie because of her character... a kid who has her own mind, a potty mouth and doesn't always listen bravely. it would kill this character if a command interface would be integrated.

- they described a wide linear scene in the magazine.
you could help a npc in front of a police station and as a gift he would tell you to visit the top floor to get the guns from the chamber and he also would warn you about the infected in the top floor. it's up to you to risk this chance for the guns.

- you can use the environment for special treatments with human enemies. for example: punch an enemy near a wall, joel would ram him into the wall. fight near a table or dresser, you can smash his had on it. fight near a door, you could shut the door on his face. like in sleeping dogs but of course in a realistic manner.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49949757&postcount=759

Keep in mind that the M! magazine doesn't describe the r1 healing process as a qte. It works just like crafting weapons by holding x, this doesn't mean that the game will automatically craft something for you just by holding the x randomly.

meta4

Thanks for the thread.
Here is the rest from the information post.

- you can even use a sharp pencil as a weapon

- at one time in the development process of tlou there was a command interface for ellie but was kicked after testing it. naughty dog doesn't want it to be a tactical shooter and it also would be inappropriate to command ellie because of her character... a kid who has her own mind, a potty mouth and doesn't always listen bravely. it would kill this character if a command interface would be integrated.

you could help a npc in front of a police station and as a gift he would tell you to visit the top floor to get the guns from the chamber and he also would warn you about the infected in the top floor. it's up to you to risk this chance for the guns.

- you can use the environment for special treatments with human enemies. for example: punch an enemy near a wall, joel would ram him into the wall. fight near a table or dresser, you can smash his had on it. fight near a door, you could shut the door on his face. like in sleeping dogs but of course in a realistic manner.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49949757&postcount=759

Keep in mind that the M! magazine doesn't describe the r1 healing process as a qte. It works just like crafting weapons by holding x, this doesn't mean that the game will automatically craft something for you just by holding the x randomly.

Thank you! Sounds good.

Amir0x

Banned
This is really cool

- if you get shot in the right arm (joel is right-hander) you have of course make sure to treat the wound like described above with the left arm. but after that, you can't just take out your shotgun immediately and shoot like nothing has happened before. you arm still hurts so if you aim with a heavy weapon like the shotgun or an assault rifle, your crosshair moves all over the place. you don't have 100% control over the aiming.

I'm starting to get a little optimistic that this game won't just be another mindless Uncharted game with no challenge or tension. Imagine gettin' leg injured and then fucking clickers come?

I hope death comes a mile a minute!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I can't wait to see arne coming in here and saying this new info is false :p

Endo Punk

I can't tell you how refreshing this game sounds and the fact it's coming from ND is even more of a surprise. I never thought they would go back to more mechanically driven games after the Uncharted series, I totally expected them to rest on their laurels like unfortunately SSM has. This game just can't arrive soon enough.

waypoetic

Banned
Some of that stuff... Yeah i don't know, seems like bs. That self-surgery stuff and what comes with it sounds like a wildcard a dev wouldn't do.

Superflat

I love the possibility of optional stuff to do in a ND game after the Uncharted series, where it's practically impossible to miss or opt out of anything, esp if they're risk/reward based... with real risk!

In a situation like the one in the spoilered tag,
I love that it looks like there could be situations where you can come out of a optional mission and be worse off for it. For example, you had to use too many bullets, used your last bandage, had to use up precious items to improv yourself out of a tight spot, etc. I hope the risk doesn't just boil down to "you die", since that's not really a risk in a video game (unless it's something like dark souls)

Lot of that stuff sounds good but a game with input lag is going to put people off. Most people don't want any heft to their weapons, they want unrealistic plastic guns they can whizz around.

Tookay

sounds really great. why people seems really mad for no reason?

Aggressive thread title - along with the premature, almost stereotypical declarations that this is will be a title for the "hardcore" - practically invites skepticism.

Also the input lag idea sounds terrible, if it's anything reminiscent to KZ2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom