• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rabid Fanboy Post with Fake Info on Last of Us AKA a big FU to Thread Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish
Might have to follow discussions about this game on GAF in the future. I assume there's going to be this moment where it's 'Immersion vs. Gameplay' and some people may end up on a different side of the fence than they would have expected.

Still, if this is all it cracks up to be, it's a good way of handling the game.

Satchel

Banned
Ugh. I don't think I like a single thing I just read. Especially the input lag.

Game sounds like it'll be a chore to play.

Hope I'm wrong.

Moosichu

First couple of pages almost look they are from n4g.

The stuff I'm hearing sounds good, Naughty Dog definitely seem confident in the product. Still slightly skeptical in how it will play out but optimistic!

danmaku

Lot of that stuff sounds good but a game with input lag is going to put people off. Most people don't want any heft to their weapons, they want unrealistic plastic guns they can whizz around.

On the other hand, in a game your viewpoint is (usually) locked to the "heavy gun" you're talking about. I'm ok with a gun being heavy, but not with my head and my eyes being heavy when I just want to take a look around. It's painful enough to do it with an analog stick, if you add input lag on top of that it becomes terrible. Head tracking via Kinect/Move/somethingelse could solve this problem.

God, this thread. Did anybody forget about the "press" release back then? How is it that NONE of them mentioned this so-called "input" lag. (Please direct me to that particular preview if I'm mistaken). And yet so many posts here are taking the entire thing at face value KNOWING full well this could be a rough translation. I'm hearing QTE's on healing (even though it's explicitly shown with the last trailer), no QTE marks when fighting or moving objects and yet all it takes is some reference translation of a magazine to render that entire gameplay video and previews redundant. Unbelievable. It's as if you're treating E3, Gamescom AND the clicker preview segment was just another Killzone 2 CG render.

What input lag? We've had "numerous" hands on previews and not a single one mentioned input lag.

Don't start this stupid shit rumor. I don't want another Killzone 2 fiasco.

Vorg

Banned
What input lag? We've had "numerous" hands on previews and not a single one mentioned input lag.

Don't start this stupid shit rumor. I don't want another Killzone 2 fiasco.

What Killzone 2 fiasco? It's not like Killzone 2's input lag is made up.

Moosichu

Kojima approves.
Kojima definitely liked it.

andriasang.com/con1b9/last_of_us_amazing/

There was no input lag in KZ2. That's how the dev wanted you to play the game but people were so used to COD, it was labeled as input lag.

I loved Killzone 2 a lot. But there WAS input lag and it WAS detrimental to the game. Killzone 3 fixed a lot in this aspect but sadly toned down the recoil and other things. People know what they mean when they say input-lag.

On another not, the part in the OP referring to 'input-lag' hopefully isn't actually that but just a large deadzone and slower cross-hairs

Alienous

Lot of that stuff sounds good but a game with input lag is going to put people off. Most people don't want any heft to their weapons, they want unrealistic plastic guns they can whizz around.

There's a difference between input lag, and using animations to simulate the heft of a weapon.

Games are an interactive medium. The shortest amount of time between pressing a button and seeing an update is the better amount of time. Input lag, in any game, isn't a back-of-the-box feature. It is a technical hurdle that couldn't be passed.

That said, input lag in a single player experience isn't the worst thing. Also, in a 3rd person game where you are puppeteering Joel rather than being him, it isn't as distracting (as, for instance, Killzone 2's input lag became for many).

This game sounds very promising... Here's hoping I can go all stealth if I desire and avoid killing as much as possible.

Also, the input lag bit doesn't bother me personally... not if it's there for immersion.

Donos

Giv me ma quickscope controls ND !

I don't think that ND will put in input lag into the game exactly like KZ2 did (pre patch). ND doesn't live/work in a bubble and i'm sure they noticed all the buzz/hate around the KZ2 input lag.They also pretty sure learned from UC3 that controls are very important. Don't get the premature concern.

Let's wait and see.

Giv me ma quickscope controls ND !

Quickscope controls? Bahahaha.
Is that what we've resorted to now? Trying to 'slander' not shitting up a game with high input lag by trying to associate it with call of duty?

That is one incredibly SAD way to spin it.
ginger-eric-cartman.jpg

@ the some people like lots of input lag: some people like to be suspended in the air by meathooks through the skin on their back and some like to put things up their peehole.

There was no input lag in KZ2. That's how the dev wanted you to play the game but people were so used to COD, it was labeled as input lag.
Behold the awesome power of marketing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is he sure it is input lag and not just slow acceleration? I don't understand why they would introduce that intentionally.

Finding out there's no blind-fire is one thing because the way he discovered it was very circumstantial, but I can't imagine input lag for basic things like running and aiming would have been missed in the previews last month.

We'll see though.

I'm pretty sure it's not actual imput lag. Introducing that on purpose (and there would be no other reason for it's inclusion) would be silly.

It's likely virtual weight added to acceleration when aiming or something.

mr_nothin

Banned
I really hope they keep the input lag. I love weighty games. Please dont cave in Naughty Dog! If there's 1 thing I dont want this game to be...it's light.
Everything sounds great to me.

Well no else has said anything about Input lag so i wonder if it is just slow acceleration .
Demo coming out seem so i guess we going to find out .

Donos

Quickscope controls? Bahahaha.
Is that what we've resorted to now? Trying to 'slander' not shitting up a game with high input lag by trying to associate it with call of duty?

That is one incredibly SAD way to spin it.
ginger-eric-cartman.jpg

@ the some people like lots of input lag: some people like to be suspended in the air by meathooks through the skin on their back and some like to put things up their peehole.

Behold the awesome power of marketing.

Jeez, that was just a bad joke.
But nice of you ignoring what i wrote after it.
If the final game has input lag like KZ2 had then they deserve every criticism for a bad decision. All i was saying is that ND is probably aware that real input lag would be an issue and the will just try to incoporate some form of "weight" to the gameplay. In what form, we don't really know yet.

Put me on your "ps3fanboy_SDF" ignore list and everything is well. I'm back to checking my Sony stocks.

web01

U3 launched with disgusting input game that should have never passed QA. considering how bad ND have gotten it wouldn't surprise me at all if this game was exactly the same.

Draft

Helpful AI, animation focused input lag, press L3 for a hint, definitely a big FU to modern AAA game design.

Greg Miller mentioned the aiming in a preview video for TLoU, and what he described didn't really sound like input lag. He just said that infected are hard to headshot because they move around quickly and is ways that aren't predictable.

I hate input lag defense. All this bullshit about weight etc, please stop.

what is input lag ?
besides being a big FU to conventional AAA games :p

is it pressing a button and getting a slow reaction ?
is it the crosshairs that move slowly with no option to speed it up ?
does it involve every controls or movements in the game or is it just when shooting ?

i never heard of it before on GAF.
is it something that will be heavily discussed/hated on here but that wont affect anyone who hasnt read about it ?

also, are we relying only on what one person has said (which was basically: "there might be some input lag, i dont know maybe that's just me") ?

Anteater

what is input lag ?

does it involve every controls or movements in the game or is it just when shooting ?

is it something that will be heavily discussed/hated on here but that wont affect anyone who hasnt read about it ?

also, are we relying only on what one person has said (which was basically: "there might be some input lag, i dont know maybe that's just me") ?

In the case of KZ2, it affected every movement, they did patch it, so people complaining about the controls pre patch and the people complaining about it post patch might not be talking about the same issue.

Example would be that you play something like street fighter against someone from the other side of the globe with terrible connection, and every input you press has a quarter of a second delay, so when blanka does the roll thing against you and you're trying to uppercut it, you just can't time it right because your uppercut would come in half a second too late.

That's pretty much input lag, it also made the character you control feels more heavy. You don't usually see people talk about it in a single player game because it's usually not a problem with majority of the games.

It's also what people complain about with Kinect.

FACE

Banned
what is input lag ?

I think the term "input lag" is pretty self-explanatory, but here's a wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

are we sure it is 'input lag' like KZ2's weighty feeling of the guns or is it like UC3 pre-patch

KZ2 had(has?) significant amounts of input lag, and it isn't just the guns being "weighty".

FACE

Banned
We're not even sure if their's input lag at all. It's basically lots of assumptions at this point.

We are discussing the information as it was presented to us, I see nothing wrong with that. However it would be very nice if someone else could get the magazine and clear things up for us.

Mogwai

- if you get shot in the right arm (joel is right-hander) you have of course make sure to treat the wound like described above with the left arm. but after that, you can't just take out your shotgun immediately and shoot like nothing has happened before. you arm still hurts so if you aim with a heavy weapon like the shotgun or an assault rifle, your crosshair moves all over the place. you don't have 100% control over the aiming.

to shoot respectably with an injured right arm, you have to switch to a smaller gun like the pistol.

I'm questioning whether this feature actually will help the gameplay at all. Of course it's super realistic, but I'm doubting if it will make the game more fun to play.

In the case of KZ2, it affected every movement, they did patch it, so people complaining about the controls pre patch and the people complaining about it post patch might not be talking about the same issue.

Example would be that you play something like street fighter against someone from the other side of the globe with terrible connection, and every input you press has a quarter of a second delay, so when blanka does the roll thing against you and you're trying to uppercut it, you just can't time it right because your uppercut would come in half a second too late.

That's pretty much input lag, it also made the character you control feels more heavy. You don't usually see people talk about it in a single player game because it's usually not a problem with majority of the games.

It's also what people complain about with Kinect.

I think the term "input lag" is pretty self-explanatory, but here's a wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

KZ2 had(has?) significant amounts of input lag, and it isn't just the guns being "weighty".

well yeah i thought about the delay but really i dont see the point in doing that so thats why i didnt think it could be that...
thanks for replying, TLOU sounds great otherwise.

Well, lets hope they can make that fun to play, cause a lot of this stuff reads like its gonna really suck. Input lag for a 'weightier' feel was already total shit in Killzone, the hit stuff seems like there could be lots of stops between gameplay, etc.

With enough polish, I'm sure it could be done, but this sounds like a long list of things they'd have to get just right.

CrazyDude

Like to take the time to say Joel probably lost his kid/wife. One of the trailers had him yelling to someone how they are crossing a mighty fien line, or something like that while they are in a kids bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom