• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Race Your PC Thread2 of Voiding Warranties

I just ran 3DMark 11 and it ended up not using my gtx 580? It posted a score with my intel HD Graphics 3000 from my i5?

I'm not sure why this is occurring.

Anyone else run into this?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I just ran 3DMark 11 and it ended up not using my gtx 580? It posted a score with my intel HD Graphics 3000 from my i5?

What was the score?
Sometimes 3d mark lists the HD3000 as graphics card while still actually using the GTX for the test.
Just put the real GPU in your listing.

scogoth

Well with -16C ambient, 1.46v and 214MHz blck my 930 just doesn't want to push 4.5GHz. Temps were fine at 70c but no matter how much more voltage I put in it would not last a 3dmark run. My score from before still stands.

ScRYeD

Load up 3dmark, go to the help tab and change the Graphics adapter from auto and select your video card.

You will have to do this everytime you restart the actual program if you have the trial version.

mkenyon

Banned
Updated.

Two rigs in the top 25. *flex*

After I get my 7970 RMA back, and put it under water, can't wait to see what it is capable of.

prophecy0

Try 880 mhz @ 1.088v and 2100 memory. Should be stable and give you a big boost.

That unfortunately wasn't stable. I was getting artifacts and driver crashes. The best I could do is below. I'm sure if I left the voltage at 1.088 and played around a bit more I could get the clocks little higher, but I feel safe running my card at these settings on a regular basis. I was also able to get my 920 to just under 4Ghz with some slight tweaking.

P6493 - 1xGTX570 - 860MHz/2055MHz/1.050V - i7 920 @ 3.980GHz - 6GB @ 758MHz - EVGA X58 - prophecy0 - Air (Prolimatech Megahalem) - Link

Shaneus

2500K at 4.3 is weak...take it to 4.5, if you got a good batch take it to 4.8, if you got a golden chip 5.0+
You may be able to help me out... I'm hitting 4.9 on mine @ 1.4v (could probably go lower, haven't tweaked it fully), but even after bumping it to 1.46v or so, the very second I bump the multiplier to 50x (using the Windows AsRock util) the computer completely locks up. Any ideas?

scogoth

Updated.

Two rigs in the top 25. *flex*

After I get my 7970 RMA back, and put it under water, can't wait to see what it is capable of.

Need mine updated.
P10373 - 2xEVGA GTX470 - 836/2001/1.087 - i7930 @ 4.385GHz - RAM @ 1670MHz - ASUS P6x58D Premium - scogoth - NH-D14 Air - link

You still have 2 in the top 25 but second one is sitting on the edge.

Terproerg

well here is my pc maxed out. Cant get the cpu any higher when anymore voltage. sucks too cause its only at 1.4v's and wont clock higher.

Score 5018 - asus GTX560TI 0 985/2300/1.15 - phenom 2 x4 955 @ 3.7ghz -ram @1333mhz - Asrock 880gm-le - Terproerg - Corsair h60 Link

Have the balcony door open too. Cpu is hittin 35c underload lol. <3 canadian weather.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You may be able to help me out... I'm hitting 4.9 on mine @ 1.4v (could probably go lower, haven't tweaked it fully), but even after bumping it to 1.46v or so, the very second I bump the multiplier to 50x (using the Windows AsRock util) the computer completely locks up. Any ideas?

Dont use the Asrock Utility.
Use the UEFI, bump up the voltage to 1.44 - 1.46(higher if youve got the balls but not higher than 1.55)
Use Fixed voltage till you find your stable voltage then you can use offset.
Any funny power saving options off.
PLL overcharge ON at 1.8(Or as low as possible)
LLC this will depend on your system, try every level until it is stable.

*Not for everyone*
Lower you BCLK to 99.7/8 this will give you slightly more leeway to push the multiplier to the 50, 51 and even 52

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Any tips OC GAF? i5 2500K. I've tried 4.5Ghz+, but unless I'm doing it wrong the volts required are absurdly high and stability is shot to shit.

1olry0.jpg

2d3rvf.jpg

364pc3.jpg

49rqf4.jpg

Gaogaogao

I don't have high hopes for my 4870, but I just overclocked my 1st gen i5 750 to 3.7ghz, so I might give it a shot

well nevermind then, requires dx 11

Shaneus

Thanks for the tips, Stride. I've only ever played with offset voltage so I'll tinker more with fixed first and go through the rest of your tips. Though I have to say I'm pretty happy with how it's running now so I'd like to see it get even higher. Shit, under load it's still only heating up to about 64C at 1.37v or so (I think). Gotta be plenty more juice left.

Just quickly, EatChildren, you should feel safe with bumping the CPU voltage up to around 1.32-1.33v. Other than that, the other guys around here are far more knowledgeable than I, but that's the one that sticks out for me.

snakeater

My scores, pretty much maxed on the cards and CPU, as they wont go higher (CPU goes to 4.0 without HT enabled though):

P9207 - GTX470 SLI @750/1850 - i7 940 @ 3.9ghz (HT On) - 6GB DDR3 @1368 - GIGABYTE UD5 Link

Hey Eat Children.

Try this:

Turbo Ratio (By All Cores): 45
CPU Ratio (Page 3): 45

Phase Control: Optimised
Duty Control: T. Probe
CPU Current Capability 110%
CPU Voltage: 1.33
DRAM: 1.60000
VCCSA: 0.91000
VCCIO: 1.00000
CPUPLL: 1.9000
PCH: 1.050
Turbo Mode: Auto

What are the options for 'Internal PLL overvoltage?"

It can also help to try loosening your RAM timings for the time being so change your RAM to:
9-9-9-25-2

What kind of CPU cooler have you got?

It seems to me like you've missed something from the screens that you've taken pictures of... I'm not 100% familiar with that BIOS but have you updated to the latest BIOS? Go to ASUS.com and find out if you've got the latest BIOS version, they add new versions all the time which increase overclock potential and stability, and also give you more voltage features.

scogoth

My scores, pretty much maxed on the cards and CPU, as they wont go higher (CPU goes to 4.0 without HT enabled though):

P9207 - GTX470 SLI @750/1850 - i7 940 @ 3.9ghz (HT On) - 6GB DDR3 @1368 - GIGABYTE UD5 Link

Turn HT off, 3dmark doesn't need 8 virtual cores. The higher oc will give you a better score. You may also want to loosen your ram timings and see if you can push your blck higher to boost your CPU. Also if you have load line calibration or something similar make sure to turn it on.

Which 470s do you have?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any tips OC GAF? i5 2500K. I've tried 4.5Ghz+, but unless I'm doing it wrong the volts required are absurdly high and stability is shot to shit.

1olry0.jpg
My 2500K doesn't really like going over 4.5Ghz. I have to use 1.31V load. Not surprising.
Set RAM to 1.50V or 1.65V (whatever it is).
Loosen RAM timings to 9-9-9-27 and see if that helps.

Gav47

Are you using MSI afterburner to oc them? What's your power supply?

I have a very similar setup and am getting my 470s to oc very well.

Yeah I'm using Afterburner, I have a 850W supply. It might be a power supply issue because I can get up to a 750mhz core on a single card but can't get over 660mhz with SLi. I can't see any problems with the cards themselves, I know they're not from the better known OEMs but the PCB is stock and the cooler is supposedly better than the stock version. C'est la vie.
Congrats on breaking 10k.

snakeater

Turn HT off, 3dmark doesn't need 8 virtual cores. The higher oc will give you a better score. You may also want to loosen your ram timings and see if you can push your blck higher to boost your CPU. Also if you have load line calibration or something similar make sure to turn it on.

Which 470s do you have?

Well, actually benchmarked before @4.0 HT Off and was getting scores of about P8800 so I guess 3DMark 11 uses them all (probably CPU and combined tests, Vantage also gave me better CPU scores with HT on)

I have tried a lot of things to get a better OC out of the CPU (more voltage -as I have a high 1.38V Vcore right now-, lowering RAM timings, lowering RAM multiplier, etc), but it wont be stable past the 4Ghz mark, although it boots up to 4.2 Ghz. Probably I should mention I got this processor right after they launched in Nov 2008 so they are C0 stepping (D0 stepping Nehalem came in 2009 and they DO overclock better). And yes, LLC is always enabled

As for the GPUs, they are Galaxy 470 GC, which have a custom cooler and PCB design and have like a 10Mhz factory overclock. Same as with the processor, they become unstable past the 765Mhz and the overvoltage (1.087V) is as high as I can go to keep acceptable load temperatures.

As far as benchmarks goes, I've found my system to be about as fast as a stock 480/570 SLI system, and I'm really thinking into changing the SLI cards for a single 7970 (heavily overclocked), besides the simplification of going to 1GPU and power savings I think the raw power will be about the same

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah I'm using Afterburner, I have a 850W supply. It might be a power supply issue because I can get up to a 750mhz core on a single card but can't get over 660mhz with SLi. I can't see any problems with the cards themselves, I know they're not from the better known OEMs but the PCB is stock and the cooler is supposedly better than the stock version. C'est la vie.
Congrats on breaking 10k.
Doubt it's PSU. One of your cards might just be a much poorer clocker. Although maybe your are getting not so great voltage under a heavier load, you do have enough watts.

Chairhome

Thats normal. The newer intel chips raise and lower their clock speed depending on usage, power and heat of the CPU. When you overclock that feature should (and is in your case) be disabled. Otherwise it might try to push the CPU even faster than your overclock and cause instability. Its called turbo boost or speedstep depending on what generation CPU you have.

Thanks. I'm actually using a Phenom II x4 right now, but I'm assuming what you said is true for this one, too. I appreciate it.

Glix

Hey guys, just got a new rig first time oc'ing

gpu - MSI Frozr iii 6950 1536 shaders unlocked 2GB/975/1450 cpu - i5 2500k 4.5ghz Heatsink+fan is from coolermaster. I forget the name, but it was highly recommended in the PC thread.

link P6253

Highest single card 6950 setup on the ladder, I think. Woot! I still think I may OC the i5 more, but the 6950 is maxed out I think.

I'm super psyched about all of this, I've never had a real gaming rig before.

ScRYeD

My new and last score until Winter hits Australia, shit be running hot. Why don't i have air conditioning :(

P12019 - 2x Gigabyte GTX580 S0 - 920/1840/1115 - 2500k @ 4.5Ghz - 8GB @ 1600 - Asrock Z68 Ext3 - ScRYeD - Air - Link

Shaneus

My new and last score until Winter hits Australia, shit be running hot. Why don't i have air conditioning :(

P12019 - 2x Gigabyte GTX580 S0 - 920/1840/1115 - 2500k @ 4.5Ghz - 8GB @ 1600 - Asrock Z68 Ext3 - ScRYeD - Air - Link
Nice board! Depending on your CPU cooling (I have the Thermalright Macho) you should be able to get that sucker up to 4.9MHz.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hey Eat Children.

Try this:

Turbo Ratio (By All Cores): 45
CPU Ratio (Page 3): 45

Phase Control: Optimised
Duty Control: T. Probe
CPU Current Capability 110%
CPU Voltage: 1.33
DRAM: 1.60000
VCCSA: 0.91000
VCCIO: 1.00000
CPUPLL: 1.9000
PCH: 1.050
Turbo Mode: Auto

What are the options for 'Internal PLL overvoltage?"

It can also help to try loosening your RAM timings for the time being so change your RAM to:
9-9-9-25-2

What kind of CPU cooler have you got?

It seems to me like you've missed something from the screens that you've taken pictures of... I'm not 100% familiar with that BIOS but have you updated to the latest BIOS? Go to ASUS.com and find out if you've got the latest BIOS version, they add new versions all the time which increase overclock potential and stability, and also give you more voltage features.

BIOS is fully updated. PPL Overvoltage is advised as disabled. Maybe I should loosen up my RAM. Timings are normally 8-8-8-24-2.

More volts is the only way you can go higher. What kind of cooler are you running?

CM Hyper 212+. Tempted to take the damn thing off and re-apply the thermal. Under load at (currently) 4.5Ghz @ 1.32v I'm averaging temps of 70.

My 2500K doesn't really like going over 4.5Ghz. I have to use 1.31V load. Not surprising.
Set RAM to 1.50V or 1.65V (whatever it is).
Loosen RAM timings to 9-9-9-27 and see if that helps.

That's why I asked. I'm pretty sure I got a dud i5, as system stability goes to shit when I go over 4.3. I was just trying 4.5ghz @ 1.3v and I blue screened within an hour of Prime testing.

I'm not reeeaaally sure if I should try tweaking further and see if the RAM is being fickle, and if loosening up the timings will increase stability, or if I should just cut my losses and accept the dud.

ss_lemonade

I always wondered if it was ok to set your gpu control panel settings to performance, 0 AF etc etc for better scores, or if it's forbidden. I never set it to performance especially when posting scores online, but I remember doing test bench runs with my old setup and performance usually adds a few more points to your overall score

EatChildren

Tried 4.5GHz @ 1.34v. RAM as is. Blue screen about 50 minutes into Prime testing.

I doubt loosening the timings will fix that. Back to 4.3Ghz forever :(.

Tried 4.5GHz @ 1.34v. RAM as is. Blue screen about 50 minutes into Prime testing.

I doubt loosening the timings will fix that. Back to 4.3Ghz forever :(.

200 Mhz doesn't seem worth the hassle, anyway. I remember banging my head against the wall trying to hit 4.0 Ghz with my i7 930. It was 100% stable at 3.9 Ghz at just above stock voltage but it required a huge voltage bump to hit 4.0Ghz. Someone finally opened my eyes to how insignificant the performance difference would be, especially when considering the additional wear and tear on the CPU. I was wasting my time just so I could hit a nice round number.

scogoth

200 Mhz doesn't seem worth the hassle, anyway. I remember banging my head against the wall trying to hit 4.0 Ghz with my i7 930. It was 100% stable at 3.9 Ghz at just above stock voltage but it required a huge voltage bump to hit 4.0Ghz. Someone finally opened my eyes to how insignificant the performance difference would be, especially when considering the additional wear and tear on the CPU. I was wasting my time just so I could hit a nice round number.

It's not for 24/7, this thread is all about getting that 3d mark score. I ran my CPU at 1.45v for my run and now it's back down to 1.25v. That 200mhz will bump your score by at least a hundred.

ScRYeD

Nice board! Depending on your CPU cooling (I have the Thermalright Macho) you should be able to get that sucker up to 4.9MHz.

I've got a Noctua NH-D14, i could up my OC to the high 4ghz range but not in summer when my ambient temp in my room is around 35c (95f) so it's just too damn hot to have my cpu any higher :(

mkenyon

Banned
But what about the e-peen man!?

Really though, as Scogoth said, it's about a quick bench and learning how to OC your system, not necessarily a 24/7 setting. Hell, I tried putting 1.54V on my 2500K. Thought I fried my proc there for awhile. Learning how to test the limits as well as your own mobo/proc is a pretty cool thing.

Shaneus

But what about the e-peen man!?

Really though, as Scogoth said, it's about a quick bench and learning how to OC your system, not necessarily a 24/7 setting. Hell, I tried putting 1.54V on my 2500K. Thought I fried my proc there for awhile. Learning how to test the limits as well as your own mobo/proc is a pretty cool thing.
You're a goddamn madman! I do love the crazies who come in here, though. I'm one of them :D

P3620 ASUS GTX560 DCU 1GB (850/1050/1.025) - AMD PII 940@3.0GHz - 4GB@667Mhz - ASUS CROSSHAIR 1.0 - Cuban Legend - (Air) Zalman CNPS9500 - Link

I've had the same mobo/PSU/Case since ~ late 2006 (original rig was ~$2000 USD at time of purchase)

Upgrades since then have totaled $200 USD and are detailed below (first ones are the original parts):
  • CPU: AMDAthlon x2-4200 2.4GH -> AMD PII 940 $120
  • GPU: ASUS 7950 GX2(quad-sli) -> PNY 9800GT 1GB $80 -> ASUS 560 Direct-CU Free Gift
  • RAM: Corsair 2x1GB DDR2-800 -> Kingston 2x2GB DDR2-667 Free Gift

*Note:The MOBO doesn't officially support the Phenom-2 CPUs (as an AM2+ MOBO, official support maxes at the 9500 Phenom-1). But, TDP of the Phenom-2 940 is as high as the MOBO can support unofficially, i'm using a stable community-BIOS to enable this for the CROSSHAIR labeled: rev-1304. Downside: BIOS only allows for 2 of 4 RAM slots to be in use at a time.

Bug mkenyon.

And boobphysics, go 680. Nvidia =)

We'll see. It depends on how it compares to the 7950, how high it OC's, how much VRAM it has, and if I have a connect to score a really good deal on it. I don't have the hook-up on AMD GPU's unfortunately, but may have something on Nvidia if the GPU gods smile on me.

Also, thinking about overvolting from 1.1v to 1.11v or 1.125v so I can hit 1 Ghz core clock on my GTX 570. It's stable at 960 but it wants more voltage to go any higher.

It's a reference board though so chances of frying it increase once you get closer to 1.15v-1.2v.

But damn it'd be gangster to hit 1 Ghz core on it. Maybe I should try it and just see if I can eke out a 5 Ghz 2500k run with 1 Ghz GTX 570. :O

scogoth

We'll see. It depends on how it compares to the 7950, how high it OC's, how much VRAM it has, and if I have a connect to score a really good deal on it. I don't have the hook-up on AMD GPU's unfortunately, but may have something on Nvidia if the GPU gods smile on me.

Also, thinking about overvolting from 1.1v to 1.11v or 1.125v so I can hit 1 Ghz core clock on my GTX 570. It's stable at 960 but it wants more voltage to go any higher.

It's a reference board though so chances of frying it increase once you get closer to 1.15v-1.2v.

But damn it'd be gangster to hit 1 Ghz core on it. Maybe I should try it and just see if I can eke out a 5 Ghz 2500k run with 1 Ghz GTX 570. :O

Do it! Are you somewhere cold? Just leave a door open until the room is subzero. Or come visit canada currently -12C

larvi

P4281 - HD5850 775/1123/stock - 2600K @ 4.8Ghz - RAM @ 1600MHz - Asrock P67 performance - Larvi - air - link

Just upgraded my mobo/processor and used the auto 4.8ghz Oc function in the bios. Haven't tried pushing either the CPU or GPU to see what the limits are yet.

Do it! Are you somewhere cold? Just leave a door open until the room is subzero. Or come visit canada currently -12C

I'm in Southern California, and I just crack a window and it gets cold as fuck. For reference, my 2500k idles at somewhere around 20-22c and my GPU idles at around 35c (at night).

mkenyon

Banned
Quick update for everyone:

I've been without power since Wednesday, and it probably won't be up until next week. At the office now, and I can't spend the time updating when I'm about 4 days behind on work because of the weather (Olympia, WA). In addition to that, if I do get power, I need to spend every minute shaking the rust off to get back into Tribes Ascend, as we have a few important matches coming up. It's insane how quickly you can get left behind in the early months of a competitive game.

If someone wants to edit (just quote it to pull it up) and PM/email me the text to include updates, I'd be more than willing to pop in and finish it.

Shaneus

I've been without power since Wednesday, and it probably won't be up until next week. At the office now, and I can't spend the time updating when I'm about 4 days behind on work because of the weather (Olympia, WA). In addition to that, if I do get power, I need to spend every minute shaking the rust off to get back into Tribes Ascend, as we have a few important matches coming up. It's insane how quickly you can get left behind in the early months of a competitive game.
That's what happens when you pipe too much voltage in. BAM. Blow out the city grid ;)

mkenyon

Banned
That's what happens when you pipe too much voltage in. BAM. Blow out the city grid ;)
The voltage on my 7970 + 2500K recent benchmark was so intense, that mother nature sent in a storm of epic proportions to destroy our electrical grid to prevent further insanity.

Also, looking like I'm not going to have power till Thursday. I'm scared to call comcast to find out when internet will be restored. Ugh. Fortunately I do have business class at home, so they are generally more responsive to my inquiries.

P9203 - HD7970 - 1200/1575/stock - i7 920 @ 3.8GHz - 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1448MHz - ASUS P6TD Deluxe - IcyBlueStrawberry - Corsair H70 - Link

My motherboard is horrible. I've yet to see somebody with a P6TD Deluxe and a stable OC over 4 GHz. Easily the biggest waste of money in my current system and it's definitely holding me back.

Smokey

If someone wants to edit (just quote it to pull it up) and PM/email me the text to include updates, I'd be more than willing to pop in and finish it.

Do you record your Tribe matches?

Top Bottom