• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World - Hunt prey, evade predators, survive as a Slugcat (March 28th, PS4/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispy75

(quoted for new page)
Joar showing off decals and more detailed backgrounds

2ZjSU.png

15yvyti.png

Getting a bit *too* detailed for my liking. It's getting hard to figure out what's foreground and background.

http://youtu.be/s9HUo71PQlk
Joar has mentioned the palette fades a few times, so i figured its time to show a bit of whats going on with that. this is a first pass at the transition into the shadow urban region

this example could still use some work to the blends, the sunlit rooms could use to be toned down a bit (there is a whole little subregion devoted to that look), but it seems like the palette toolset is going to have a big impact! in polish phase i plan on going back and adding subtle touches of this through all the regions to indicate things like depth/height, inside/outside, and blend the palette transitions between the regions a little. im really looking forward to it!

edit: ehhhh, youtube image compression is totally borking the fades and introducing weird colors / artifacts. they are WAYYYY more subtle than that in game. but you get the idea.

woopWOOP

I want to explore that world so bad.

Those rain effects from the other page are really great looking too. Scurrying towards safezones when type-C is coming up is going to be a thrill.

Quick update from the devlog
A flare ... fruit? thing that you might get your hands on in the dark regions.

These have the benefit of allowing you to get a split second of vision on a frustrating dark room, and can also be used offensively. Deep dwellers that are shy of light are obviously not going to be big fans, and also I think it could be fun if ordinary creatures such as lizards could be rendered blind temporarily or permanently.
AptRemarkableBoa.gif

New video!
http://youtu.be/ernPmYEg0k0
We've been hard at work putting together a new build for E3 and getting prepared to transition into beta. Thats big news right?? Check out some of the fruits of out labor
If you happen to be going to E3, the newest Rain World build will be available to demo at the Adult Swim Games booth and at the IndieMIX event as well. Joar and myself are both way too wrapped up in development to go (booo!), but press, friends and fans please stop by the booth and let us know what you think! Were pretty proud of this recent progress! And if you want any more info about E3 or IndieMIX, feel free to contact me here.

Gamestop did a playthrough of the E3 build

And a look at a new region
44ddAli.gif
7AZntoO.jpg

This region is going to be ocean-inspired (maybe it's the actual ocean, maybe it's just a very large cistern or flooded area, depending on if you want to imagine this industrial complex as something city-sized that ends at the shoreline, or something larger o_O).

Contrary to Drainage System where the water elements were coupled with some claustrophobia in narrow underground pipes, this is going to be about large spaces where you can swim freely, which I think will be a lot of fun. Part of the gameplay will happen up in the structures sticking out above the surface, part of it down in the actual water, and obviously you will be safe in neither place.
James has been trying out some architecture and layouts, and I've been messing a bit with a palette and some settings that are going to be needed, such as wave amplitude settings for the water.

The waves don't look very amazing at this point, a bit too regular and machine-like. I think that some light randomization might help a lot.

Very nice.

Know if a vita version is still on the cards? I can see it being really awesome in your hands.
It's definitely still coming to Vita. Earlier this year, devs finally made the game compatible with 16:9 widescreen so it'll look good on Vita.

I love that awkward lizard paddle.

You know how port is a dirty word lately, performance is my one worry about the Vita version. Hopefully it'll run faultlessly because that's where I plan to play with Slugcat and co.

Theecliff

Banned
been following this thread for a while, wish I could have backed this at the time. looks absolutely incredible, loving the progress it's making!

g19Es.gif
gxNyh.gif

Worm grass is not very dangerous though a bit creepy. It's mainly sticky and slows you down

Basically, the higher speed you keep the less dangerous it will be. If you jump and roll, or even just run at a good pace, it won't get you, but if you slow down it can get a grip, and then you get slower, and more worms latch on, etc...

However, if you really get stuck in it, it can actually eat you...
SeriousAmazingCheetah.gif

Been following Rain World (via this thread) with interest. I was hooked on the concept from the very start; also it seems every time I click on the thread I know there's going to be something new and awesome to see. I love their open approach where they're happy talking about WIP stuff, it's kinds of engrossing on it's own, and in graphics, animation, world-building etc. the game has progressed way beyond the initial impression it made.

I really hope the game delivers in spades on all its concepts. I can't wait to play it, but at the same time this is one case where I don't want them to rush with it at all.

Rain World looks amazing

Anyone know if the developers are going to offer a cross-buy option?
Probably too early to say. Devs still have quite a bit of game to work on, between the remaining regions, creatures, narrative, multiplayer, etc

Been following Rain World (via this thread) with interest. I was hooked on the concept from the very start; also it seems every time I click on the thread I know there's going to be something new and awesome to see. I love their open approach where they're happy talking about WIP stuff, it's kinds of engrossing on it's own, and in graphics, animation, world-building etc. the game has progressed way beyond the initial impression it made.

I really hope the game delivers in spades on all its concepts. I can't wait to play it, but at the same time this is one case where I don't want them to rush with it at all.
I know the feeling. I follow their main devlog and get email notifications for new comments, and anytime I see there's a new post from the devs, I get excited to see what new and awesome thing they're working on

What do you guys think?

jrE5s.png

From the devlog, new WIP title banner
We have a candidate now that both James and I agree is good and which has been getting generally positive responses

We are really stoked about the direction of this one - it's clean and stylish, legible contrary to the old one, and the slugcat hits that sweet spot between cute and creepy!
As a result of showing the game at conventions we know from public feedback that to many people the game is "the slugcat game", meaning that the slugcat being the main character of the logo would make a lot of sense for public recognition. For this reason we also decided to go with a rather toned down version of the typography - the slugcat should draw the eye, the letters are there to discover next. You might also notice that the letters aren't quite as bright as the highlights on the illustration. Still the character is lit as if it was the typography giving off the light, bringing the two elements together and placing them in the same imagined space.

Current:
22MFuut.jpg

woopWOOP

Slugcat's redesigned title appearance is cute, prefer the new title title font aswell. Nice job :)

Also: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH that sea monster
Never getting into water in this game

Is this game ever getting released? Or are they just going to make amazing new creatures and environments forever?

If it's the latter, I'm kind of okay with that. Looks fantastic.

Everybody recovered from the creepy sea beast? Good. Here's a creepy spindly legged blob thing.

VerifiableBaggyAsiansmallclawedotter.gif

Oh god.
Mad Max crossover? :p
Reminds me of the stilt walkers from Fury Road
Agab8od.jpg

I've been following this game for years and the ecosystem still amazes me. What other game has such a complex ecosystem? So many different species, each individual creature is unique due to procedural physical elements, and they all interact dynamically

Is this game ever getting released? Or are they just going to make amazing new creatures and environments forever?

If it's the latter, I'm kind of okay with that. Looks fantastic.
This year

It's almost there, don't worry. 4 regions left, then they're working on the narrative and multiplayer. The fact that they're also working on stuff like an updated logo is a good sign

This is shaping up to be one of the biggest Metroidvania-style maps. Between 700 and 1000 rooms, up there with Shadow Complex and Knytt Underground

This year

It's almost there, don't worry. 4 regions left, then they're working on the narrative and multiplayer. The fact that they're also working on stuff like an updated logo is a good scene

This is shaping up to be one of the biggest Metroidvania-style maps. Between 700 and 1000 rooms, up there with Shadow Complex and Knytt Underground

Oh wow, I would have guessed next year. Very cool. Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom