• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World - Hunt prey, evade predators, survive as a Slugcat (March 28th, PS4/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

The indie gods have graced us with a grappling hook in Rain World

WIP of course

byNCJ.gif

Woah, game changer.

MasculineFlickeringAndeancat.gif
PinkSpotlessButterfly.gif

And it's not just an organic grappling hook:
It can be used to restrain creatures. In two player mode with my cousin we've had a lot of fun trying to tie down a vulture with a bunch of these, as well as creating horrible tangled messes with for example a vulture, a lizard, three worms and the other player in a katamari ball of despair.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Ha, that is so gross and awesome. Good idea having the grappling hook actually be a creature. Is that in the playable alpha now?

Ha, that is so gross and awesome. Good idea having the grappling hook actually be a creature. Is that in the playable alpha now?
Actually they haven't sent out any new builds lately because they want to keep the end sections of the game and some of the species relatively secret. Last build I played was the E3 one.

Crispy75

The meat tubes look like so much fun.

I don't have much time to play games these days, but I'm going to make time for Rain World. It's like nothing else.

Raticus79

Dang, being able to grapple onto the floating alligator and have that chain work is really nice.

Reminds me of some physics sandbox applications.

PC Gamer interview: http://youtu.be/qw7t04Aqbic
- Game has a sort of dynamic difficulty system. If you're aggressive and kill a lot, you create a vacuum in the ecosystem that makes other creatures more aggressive (I assume due to less food)
- There's also an altruistic component. Example given was feeding a hurt lizard would make that lizard behave more positively towards you. Could even end up with a lizard helping you
- Release is still unclear, but probably next year

---

And...a new GIF of ctlhulu-spider
The tentacles are sort of autonomous and just gives the main AI some hints on how to make their activities easier. This autonomy should also bring with it the ability to hunt two or more different prey with different tentacles at the same time

Mandelbo

And now....

Oh man, that looks terrifying. I'm looking forward to moments like that where I'm just exploring an area, nothing out of the ordinary, when all of a sudden some horrible tentacles emerge from the bottom of the screen. I probably wouldn't stick around long enough to get a good look at what it was!

Elixist

thx badass for always puttin up gifs, makes this thread fun to look at. game looks cool as always. this game will be a good pickup just to fuck around in.

This creature is the coolest yet.

It makes me wonder about that creature from the subterranean level they're keeping secret.

Is the alpha supposed to have no sound to speak of?
That alpha doesn't have sound unfortunately.

The current game has music and sound effects though
http://coub.com/rain.world

Me too. Sucks I can't get another chance at messing with the alpha/beta.

I have good money here! Fresh money! D=
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/product/rainworld_earlyaccess_soundtrack/FpSDLkj8s
Should say that available alpha is pretty outdated. The devs want to keep the end-game regions and narrative a secret, because a lot of the experience is exploration and discovery.

Oh god, it has eye...sensor...things now....

So according to the devs: "the idea for this creature is that it's sort of both spider and spider's web. Its idle behavior is sitting in some open place with the tentacles spread out, hoping for something to run into them."

Raticus79

Creepy! It's like watching a weird alien world's nature channel. I wonder if they're planning to include an option for blood at some point... might be a bit much I suppose.

To continue the Rain World nature documentary series:

MedicalUnsightlyGrasshopper.gif

The yellow lizard was a subspecies in the lingo build that is now making its return.

They hunt in packs, using their antennae to telegraph your position between each other. This basically means that if one of them can see you, all of them can.

They also use their numbers to their advantage by trying to surround you. In the gif you can see how they use two separate paths to get to me.

XaosWolf

Need to ask those who played the alpha:

1) How do you dive or flip? Got roll figured out, but no idea about the others it mentions.

2) My eyes can only see Slugcat's nose as a mouth. Please help.

Need to ask those who played the alpha:

1) How do you dive or flip? Got roll figured out, but no idea about the others it mentions.

2) My eyes can only see Slugcat's nose as a mouth. Please help.
First, you need to skid
if you run a while in one direction and then change direction the slugcat slides a little

Then jump while skidding
O5Qwu.gif

Ugh not liking those odds against a pack of yellows, and then there's still the reds to come.

P.S. They look god damn beautiful though.

Here's a little taste of the gameplay, from one of the devs:
One of my favorite emergent encounters yet happened in this region. Of course I had planned plenty of "set-piece" style encounters in this region, hives of yellows, death-defying platform swinging around daddies, etc., and all that went off really well, but the one ive been having the most fun is of course the one that happened completely by accident:

In the first few Underhang rooms are a sub-region called "the legs", where you climb the interior of a large support column. The platforming is pretty tricky, its where you first encounter the tube worm grappling mechanic, so i kept is fairly free of predators, but since its a decent stretch of the map, just for fun a threw in 2 white lizards to spice it up a little. The geometry here is ideal for them, but i didnt realize how good it was going to be. It basically turns into a 10 screen climbing duel with the whites, fighting to climb from platform to platform and swinging around their tongues, knocking them off platforms with rocks, only to have them scramble back up after you. Then all the noise attracts a daddy of course, and it turns into complete mayhem just as the rains start to fall...

I have very little understanding of what this game actually will be when it's done, but god am I so incredibly excited for it. That description sounded really cool.
Devs have been describing it as an open world stealth platformer. Need to hunt for food between the rainfall, but food is finite in each region so you're subtly driven to explore new areas. As you get better and master the moveset, you'll be able to reach new regions.

All that is set amidst a dynamic ecosystem, a narrative and set-pieces, co-op and competitive multiplayer modes, and secret stuff

Cool description of the level design in later region
For this region, he's taken it to the next level by building the rooms to be dual purpose. Each is essentially a level for rain world and a level for whatever game it becomes when you pick up a grappling hook - with the ability to switch between the two at any point. And most of them have multiple routes even within those

To sort of give you an idea, there's this room that has daddy long legs crawling about, a bunch of tube worms, and a pretty big pack of yellow lizards. Daddies like large open spaces, the yellow lizards like maze like structures where they can do a lot of flanking and surrounding their prey. Standard slugcat likes platforms and poles, slugcat with grappling hook likes smaller floating pieces of terrain to grapple and swing from.

The room is 10 screens large, with all of these environments flowing in and out of each other, here and there with overlaps that force the creatures to encounters. Throughout the entire thing are multiple grappling hook routes and routes for when you're without the hook, some of them sharing certain passages and then diverging again. All of them however come together at a bottleneck in the middle of the room, forcing you to move through all the different little sub-environments and be subjected to their critters.

This means that you're sort of forced to go through most of the room, but you can still shape your experience depending on your resources and preferences. Amazing level design!

Those legs...that thing isn't fully organic...

The most memorizing part of that GIF is that little hop it does to reorient itself as it drops from the ledge. So fluid

WGMBY

Oh god, it has eye...sensor...things now....

So according to the devs: "the idea for this creature is that it's sort of both spider and spider's web. Its idle behavior is sitting in some open place with the tentacles spread out, hoping for something to run into them."

Holy shit that's terrifying.

woopWOOP

Yeah the spider is giving my arachnophobia a hard time. Seems to be pretty difficult to notice when it's hanging so still too. Gonna be tense.

That new bird is giving me some major scrab vibes. Awesome!

paulogy

These... beasts (?)... are terrifying in much the same way that most of the videos out of Boston Dynamics are. There's something about lanky limbs and human-like-but-not-quite motion that seems to trigger some sort of fear response.

Raticus79

Cool, the leg sparks really sell it.

They might have to tone down the intensity of that full-screen flash (or add an option for it) to avoid epilepsy trouble. Not sure if that's quite intense enough to be a problem though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom