• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World - Hunt prey, evade predators, survive as a Slugcat (March 28th, PS4/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woopWOOP

If anything Rain World reminds me of Abe's Escape for PS1, etc.

In fact, I remember thinking back then that an 'open world' survival type game in that kind of 2D style would be all kinds of amazing.
This game is more or less a forgotten child fantasy come true, lol.

Amen brother

Even tho this game in particular isnt relying solely on that
Heh, why quote a post from well over a year and a half ago.

It's plain to see that Rain World has developed in leaps and bounds since they moved to Unity, to the point that no game looks or animates anything like Rain World then or now.

The movement is so so good

NegativeMediumFluke.gif

The only problem with following this game's development is missing out on seeing these creatures for the first time as you progress through the game not knowing what to expect.

The only problem with following this game's development is missing out on seeing these creatures for the first time as you progress through the game not knowing what to expect.
Joar said he has been keeping some things secret so even the devlog regulars are surprised when playing.

But yeah, I know what you mean. However, knowing what the creatures look like or even seeing GIFs is nothing like actually seeing them in-game. The vultures look cool, but man, the first time one swoops down or you see them fighting over a lizard is amazing

Mandelbo

This is shaping up to be utterly fantastic - really liking the general aesthetic as well as the horrifying creature designs. Making it so you have to venture out into that world and face your fears in order to live sounds great! I have a few questions, though.

-Is this still targeted for a 2015 release? I watched the PAX East 2015 video and the devs said they should have it ready in about 6 months, but is this still the case?
-Are the PSVita/PS4 versions going to release at the same time as the PC version is? At the moment I'm assuming no, but it would be great if they did!
-How much of a metroidvania game is this? I remember reading it being described as one, and that gif of the rain-powered doors reminds me of the transition hallways in SotN, but do we know how much freedom you get in regards to exploring areas?

That's all I have for now :)

Crispy75

Unknown
Unknown
Unknown
It's an open world split into regions, but the only "gating" is down to player skill. No powerups and no keys for locked doors.

Mandelbo

Unknown
Unknown
Unknown
It's an open world split into regions, but the only "gating" is down to player skill. No powerups and no keys for locked doors.

Thanks for the answers. I like that skill is the only barrier to trickier areas of the game. It seems like the route you take to completing the game (assuming there is an endgame, as such) is really freeform and non-linear, which sounds incredibly interesting!

This is shaping up to be utterly fantastic - really liking the general aesthetic as well as the horrifying creature designs. Making it so you have to venture out into that world and face your fears in order to live sounds great! I have a few questions, though.

-Is this still targeted for a 2015 release? I watched the PAX East 2015 video and the devs said they should have it ready in about 6 months, but is this still the case?
-Are the PSVita/PS4 versions going to release at the same time as the PC version is? At the moment I'm assuming no, but it would be great if they did!
-How much of a metroidvania game is this? I remember reading it being described as one, and that gif of the rain-powered doors reminds me of the transition hallways in SotN, but do we know how much freedom you get in regards to exploring areas?

That's all I have for now :)
1) Given that they're down to the final 3 regions, are working on an updated logo, and did most of the backer creatures, I'd say 2015 is likely. The Steam page even has "2015" as the release date

2) PS Vita is 100% confirmed. PS4 is still unknown, but likely. So far, they've only said "PSN, PS Vita, and beyond", but they have said there will be console news in the future.

3) The game has a Metroidvania-style structure of a large world with interconnected rooms and regions, but like Crispy said, there aren't keys or unlockable abilities. It all comes down to you skills, and as you get better, you can reach new places you couldn't before.

I've played the alpha a lot, and I think that's really accurate. I used to suck at chaining wall jumps, but I got better and now I can take routes I couldn't before and outmaneuver predators more effectively.

They also said the final game would have somewhere between 700 to 1000 rooms, putting it up there with Shadow Complex and Knytt Underground as one of the biggest Metroidvania worlds

There are going to be some amazing speedruns of this game, I have no doubt :)
Don't forget, this is also going to have co-op and multiplayer.

2) PS Vita is 100% confirmed. PS4 is still unknown, but likely. So far, they've only said "PSN, PS Vita, and beyond", but they have said there will be console news in the future.
As the project has gone on more and more shader effects has been used on top of more advanced AI used for the predators, I'm getting rather jittery over possible Vita performance issues.

Is your avatar now an accurate representation of you IRL?
True story, I chose this avatar after the first set of Vita sales figures came out and stuck with it ever since.

It's just I wouldn't want another Galak-Z style cancellation, but also don't want the guys to have to cut back on their vision to squeeze their game onto the Vita.

Hence feeling anxious.

UrbanRats

Was about to say something regarding the eye myself.
The concept of using it to cross those carnivore algae it's great though.

Crispy75

I think it would look better with one huge circular eye that nearly fills the "head" with a big pupil that darts here and there.

I also prefer that thing without an eye. The eye makes it cuddly (unless that's the goal?)

Without an eye, it looks like a common housefly body with creepy legs. I instantly thought "apocalypse fly" on first viewing.

Not sure about the antlers. The eye and antlers take it into cuddly jackelope territory.

$T2eC16JHJG!E9nm3pm,SBQcJyGuu6w~~60_35.JPG

If the aim is nightmare creature, the giant housefly on stilts version is my favorite. Maybe different styles of eye and head-ware can keep the creep.

The animation and mood of everything is a win. Look forward to all the monsters to come.

le.phat

Cuphead seems to be the fan-favourite when it comes to gorgeous 2D games, but this is definitely mine. Some of the stuff that's being achieved here is nothing short of spectacular. Much kudos to the devs, and good luck in those final sprints! Can't wait to throw mah money on you guys :)))

Love the updates on this. I'm definitely there day one when it launches on Vita. Agree with le.phat that this may not be making as many headlines as some gorgeous indie games, but stylistically and in terms of tech it's easily one of the most impressive.

Love the updates on this. I'm definitely there day one when it launches on Vita. Agree with le.phat that this may not be making as many headlines as some gorgeous indie games, but stylistically and in terms of tech it's easily one of the most impressive.
Yeah, but those other indie games weren't praised by Fumito Ueda, so Rain World has that advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom