• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank (PS4) - First Trailer [Up: 8 minutes of gameplay, $40]

Poona

Looks good. Wish it was still coming this year, but if they want to improve it further then that's great too. Will definitely be picking up day one.

Patapwn

You saw less then 1 % of the game lol. Copy and pasted? Such terrible posts in this thread congrats on adding to them. I especially like you you ignore what insomniac has detailed what has changed, added, etc..

We've actually seen more than 1% of the game if the 10-12 hours is accurate.

Given that this is the official gamplay debut, it would make sense that insomniac thought this would best represent and hype the game. If this is the best at representing and hyping the game you can imagine my disappointment at how trite it looks.

Aren't you at all a little disappointed? Even a little bit? I mean, the full blown reimagining of R&C after half a decade is this?

hawk2025

Given that this is the official gamplay debut, it would make sense that insomniac thought this would best represent and hype the game. If this is the best at representing and hyping the game you can imagine my disappointment at how trite it looks.

Aren't you at all a little disappointed? Even a little bit? I mean, the full blown reimagining of R&C after half a decade is this?

Not even a little bit, no.

Geez I was not trying to nail exactly how much we have seen you get the point. Why would I be disappointed it looks fantastic. Not like there is a large amount of platformers or games like it these days. There are hundreds of other games to play that offer something different.

Looking at the responses most seem very happy with what they saw and you are in the minority.

Not to mention your post was flat out hyperbolic and false.

Lijik

Didn't you have little helper dudes to build bridges for you in that? In this it looks like Clank himself transforms into the bridge.

G2ehmqG.gif

(unless theres some other part im missing?)

Acrylic7

Yeah I'm somewhat disappointing. When they said re-imagined I though that's what they meant.
I was looking for a major mechanics overhaul and structure but oh well.

At least it looks good.

I feel your sentiment and shared some of it, prior to showcase as well, but the defense force is too strong.

Despite that, it seems fine for a $40 budget title. It definitely comes off as eh, could've just done a new game entirely. Their confidence in the IP seems pretty low ever since they finished CIT. I get that they don't own it and have found success with Sunset Overdrive but it does feels kind of backhanded. Hopefully the films success boosts some life into the IP.

Best wishes.

I feel your sentiment and shared some of it, prior to showcase as well, but the defense force is too strong.

Despite that, it seems fine for a $40 budget title. It definitely comes off as eh, could've just done a new game entirely. Their confidence in the IP seems pretty low ever since they finished CIT. I get that they don't own it and have found success with Sunset Overdrive but it does feels kind of backhanded. Hopefully the films success boosts some life into the IP.

Best wishes.

Because people disagree there is a defense force? Maybe he is in the minority for a reason. If you read the posts him not being impressed is not the issue, it is the Hyperbolic , and false statement like everything is just "Copy and pasted" with just new assets. total nonsense.

Patapwn

Of course they do. But I suppose you also ignored the fact that we've seen a new weapon, The Pixelatior, and a new mechanic, Clank turning into a bridge to cross gaps. I guess those don't count? Or you expect them to blow their whole load on the game all at once?

Not to mention the gameplay segments we did see are completely different than they were in the original, both the boss fight and the train section.

The pixelator seems IMO to be a renaming of any of the other shotgunesque guns throughout past installments. And the bridgebots aren't new to the series.

I agree that the gameplay sequences themselves are different overall but that's nowhere near the kind of different I was really really hoping for. I'm sure this will be a good game for those who want more of the same but I'm struggling to see any kind of creativity that would get me hyped.

I don't know what people wanted

It looks like Ratchet and Clank with updated gameplay and gorgeous visuals

And it's $40. What's the problem?

Game has to something new or each time it is Lazy, uninspired, which is silly. If that's how you judge games 99% of games out would look like crap to you. You don't need to reinvent the wheel for a game to be great., It is just an easy way to bash a game, you can level that against most games that are released.

I would bet a large portion of Ps4 gamers never even played the original to begin with.

Because people disagree there is a defense force? Maybe he is in the minority for a reason. If you read the posts him not being impressed is not the issue, it is the Hyperbolic , and false statement like everything is just "Copy and pasted" with just new assets. total nonsense.

I definitely didn't say I wasn't impressed. I do however share some of his concerns. That being said, when I do share my opinion on this IP, I do get swamped by people like yourself. Sometimes worse.

You could go through my post history to find some of my opinions on Insomniac/Sony concerning their output of this franchise if you wish and see some of the responses. I don't think what I said wasn't warranted considering the quality of the recent releases in the past 6 years. Then again, I do accept others opinions and this will definitely be a fine game, no need to be hostile .

Best wishes.

Illucio

Banned
The game is back to it's original price point of $40 (I remember buying every game on the PS2 for only $40 new.)

So this game is a re-imagining of the first game and this updated game will take the first game's place lore wise? While Gong Commando is still directly after? Or do both games exist at the same place together because some Protopets got into the time space dumpster and they somehow made an alternate timeline that connects to the 2nd game in the series because of some time space mumbo jumbo. Or if the movie/game both do well, will Insomniac remake Going Commando and give it the movie treatment as well?

I definitely didn't say I wasn't impressed. I do however share some of his concerns. That being said, when I do share my opinion on this IP, I do get swamped by people like yourself. Sometimes worse.

You could go through my post history to find some of my opinions on Insomniac/Sony concerning their output of this franchise if you wish and see some of the responses. I don't think what I said wasn't warranted considering the quality of the recent releases in the past 6 years. Then again, I do accept others opinions and this will definitely be a fine game, no need to be hostile .

Best wishes.

I like how you ignore why people jumped on him, it was not for being concerned. Flat out hyperbole and mis-information will get called out......if he just said not impressed or was not really looking forward to it like many no one would bat an eye.

Patapwn

I like how you ignore why people jumped on him, it was not for being concerned. Flat out hyperbole and mis-information will get called out......if he just said not impressed or was not really looking forward to it like many no one would bat an eye.

What misinformation?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

No? Should I feel like you?

I'm glad I'm excited. And for 40$, this shall be mine.

eerik9000

TIL Insomniac is developing this. I had assumed they had parted ways from Sony.

They went multiplat because they want to own the IP of their games (and Sony wants to own the IP of games they publish). Just like Ready at Dawn did earlier this week. Obviously still in good terms with Sony.

hawk2025

What misinformation?

Gameplay looked trite as fuck. I can't point to a single interesting addition to previous ratchet games

$40 budget title... I think I know how this is going to turn out

My exact sentiment

The last legit R&C effort was 6 years ago. I don't know what I was looking for exactly but I wanted to see something akin to time puzzles, hover boots or space travel with visitable SMG planets. I wanted to see something with some actual creativity instead of a copy and past with different art assets. The game as presented in the video looks as safe as R&C can possibly get. Graphics are improved but the city looks pretty close to being the same, the weapons are the same, the mechanics are the same... This isn't a reimagining this is a repackaging.

This series really did die with ACIT. Budget cash grab is obvious

Calling things "cash grabs" and "budget" releases is shitty. It's barely a step above "lazy devs" nonsense.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'll buy it day one. For those of you getting into Ratchet and Clank through this game, your in for a treat, these games are just delightful.

On the one hand, I would've rather they use this new tech to make a totally new R&C game set after the events of ACiT.

On the other, you calling this a "budget cash grab" and a "copy and paste" is both inaccurate and insulting to the dev. You don't have to resort to taking hyperbolic pot-shots at Insomniac to make a point.

Like some other people, I'm happy with what I've seen so far but still hoping that the 8 months or so of development time will give Insomniac enough time to add some more new stuff (weapons etc.) and game play mechanics. I have faith in Insomniac to realize that this will be necessary in order to prevent franchise fatigue for those who have been playing these games since the ps2 era.

Lemondish

Well, that last sentence is your problem. Nobody said this was supposed to be a full blown re-imagining. What does that even mean anyway?

I mean it's still a Ratchet and Clank game and they all have the same core gameplay. I don't really know why people are surprised that this isn't some huge change. If you want a different kind of R&C, play All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault.

Top Bottom