• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank (PS4) - First Trailer [Up: 8 minutes of gameplay, $40]

Shin

Banned
while most of the hardcore fans know this, James Arnold Taylor wasn't Ratchet in the first game, he started in Going Commando and has been Ratchet ever since.

So this is the first time you'll get the origin story with the voice who has been behind Ratchet for 12 years now.

You sold me on the game, whatever your roll might be at Insomniac (that and along with fellow GAFfers).
Looks like you guys stayed true to the original, all while being on a more grand scale.
At least this is something my 5 year old can play or watch me play when he's awake haha.

The game looks amazing and a lot of fun, so great job guys.

spliced

They've done it again, it looks amazing.

The dialog/graphics/gameplay combo this series brings is unmatched, I'm so glad it's still going strong.

I like how each shot from a weapon seems to be effecting enemies now.

In the past R+C games the bigger enemies would just flash red when they took damage and would only show a reaction too getting hit when they died.

bombshell

Never played Ratchet and Clank before, but thanks to those videos it got my full attention now!

It's not only the graphics, which do look great, but I totally dig the gameplay, setting and pretty much everything!

I just ordered the R&C trilogy for ps3.

The native PS3 games Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time would be a better place to start because they simply have more up to date gameplay.

The PS2 remastered games are certainly great, but a little outdated.

whoszed

Ew, keep your Borderlands out of R&C.

Gotta get that hard data on which weapon is the most efficient. Well, on a serious note it might not be such a good idea. But it does suck buying a new weapon not having any sort of idea of its actual value. So while there is certain appeal to just buying the guns and trying them out, I'd like if there was some way to at least get some information on the weapons before you spend those bolts on them. Eventually you end up with most of the stuff anyways but it'd be nice to see which weapons to get first

Shredderi

looks like CG

IQ is crisp and they have 9 months or so to polish this up

Or 9 months to downg- just kidding this looks fucking awesome. It really does have that CG kind of quality to it. This art style can look really good because it's not simulating real life realistic graphics. A lot easier to spot "errors" from realistic looking games.

KiraXD

Remember the demo level that looks like the city from this gameplay reveal? Post those and then post screens from this video to compare. Im interested

okay...

Demo opening
nrmKKZl.jpg

PS4
oG1uXdR.jpg

yGtQ0n5.jpg

$40? The game will really only cost $40? It's in the thread title but OP explains nothing about it.

My only R&C games I've played is the Future trilogy and I loved it to bits so I'm stoked for this one. It looks fan-fucking-tastic!

occelinho

The native PS3 games Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time would be a better place to start because they simply have more up to date gameplay.

The PS2 remastered games are certainly great, but a little outdated.

I see, thanks for the advice!

Is it also okay to start with these games storywise?

Day 1 purchase.

I hope it sells well enough that we get a new game down the line as well, though I am sceptical. The movie will bomb and the game will not sell well as a consequence of that (since Sony's marketing for games is abysmal).

Bloodborne?

I think The Order 1886 had strong marketing as well. Overall this generation I think the marketing has been better for the hardware and games.

Solid graphical upgrade compared to Tools of Destruction

Framerate feels almost too cinematic, though.

While everything is clearly upgraded, the lighting upgrade is what stands out most. That seems to be consistently the most noticeable upgrade when looking at current-gen games in comparison to last-gen games.

Patapwn

Gameplay looked trite as fuck. I can't point to a single interesting addition to previous ratchet games

$40 budget title... I think I know how this is going to turn out

hesido

lmao

Yeah, the massive upgrade to lighting, effects, shaders, resolution, post processing, reflections, textures, and geometry detail amounts to "not much different than the first game."

Sometimes I wonder if people who make comments like this have even seen screenshots of the game they're comparing to in the last three or four years. Ratchet and Clank was good looking on PS3, that's what you remember. But the reality is its quite dated looking compared to this new game.

The game looks rad, no two ways about it. It would be news if it looked the same as the PS3 version. However, Ratchet looked rad on the PS3, and at a higher frame rate :\

farisr

So if they priced it 60 you would feel better.

Basically what most of these posts are amounting to. The game is a reimagining of the first title, which was a full game, and the videos clearly show it has great graphics and seems to be running competently even (at least) 9 months away from release.

But nope, because it's $40, that means it's going to be low quality. Funny thing is, if this was just a graphical overhaul/remaster, we'd have "why is it $40, why not $20" posts instead. No win situation for something like this.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Looks fucking fantastic. Only got into this series on PS3 and bought all of them (except all 4 one which was with PS Plus and kinda sucked).

Absolutely adored them all. Will get this one super quick.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Basically what most of these posts are amounting to. The game is a reimagining of the first title, which was a full game, and the videos clearly show it has great graphics and seems to be running competently even (at least) 9 months away from release.

But nope, because it's $40, that means it's going to be low quality. Funny thing is, if this was just a graphical overhaul/remaster, people would be up in arms saying "why is it $40, why not $20"

Well the original game was only $40!

Putty

to be fair im not doing Tools of Destruction any favors having to go off of a kind of blurry youtube video so i used press shots from both as the final comparison
BwbwmWA.png

XoVkCOn.jpg

jRYC882.png

8FATP36.jpg

lF1ojhj.png

m14laWE.jpg

I'd say that's pretty substantial, Moreso when factoring in the screen rez of both games.

Sydle

Not quite the reimagining I was hoping for. Feels like they played it safe, but I say this as someone who has played all of the console Ratchet games and can't get excited by the same familiar formula any more.

Top Bottom