• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank - Review Thread

RK128

Yeah, I think Sly and Crash have a high probability of coming back. Especially Sly.

Very interested in how they are going to do Crash. I mean, the likely answer is an HD take on the PS1 games but I wonder if they are going to what Ratchet and Clank PS4 does and take the original game(s) and remix parts of them/completely changed them up.

Like in Crash 1 with the bolder chasing you, maybe you can fall down into a pit with the bolder and it becomes a 2D chase section in a hidden cave. Or maybe have the water bike levels from Crash 3 become full-on races with other ski-riders. Maybe you can even change the order of unlock powers when you clear bosses (super spin first unlock, super belly flop second power up, ect).

Very interested in how they are going to do Crash. I mean, the likely answer is an HD take on the PS1 games but I wonder if they are going to what Ratchet and Clank PS4 does and take the original game(s) and remix parts of them/completely changed them up.

Like in Crash 1 with the bolder chasing you, maybe you can fall down into a pit with the bolder and it becomes a 2D chase section in a hidden cave. Or maybe have the water bike levels from Crash 3 become full-on races with other ski-riders. Maybe you can even change the order of unlock powers when you clear bosses (super spin first unlock, super belly flop second power up, ect).

Personally I hope not. I don't play Crash Bandicoot to get into races on jet-skis. I'd rather they focus on the meat and potatoes.

RK128

Personally I hope not. I don't play Crash Bandicoot to get into races on jet-skis. I'd rather they focus on the meat and potatoes.

Was just making an example, as that was a mechanic in the original version of Crash 3.

But I agree with you; if they go the remake-but completely different at points route, I hope they focus on the core of the games (fun platforming) instead of the fluff the latter 3D games (Crash 3, Crash Wrath of Cortex) added.

won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow, but I can't wait. This has been one of my favorite franchises, and it's one I grew up with. I'll support it as much as possible. Glad to hear it's been getting great reviews.

I just wonder if Sony is willing to let them go that route.

Will they demand something more mature for sales or to target a larger demographic?

Or maybe they can make Jak/Crash that desirable... I want it for sure, particularly a new Jak... and get Sucker Punch to do another Sly game... oh man. I wish.

If PS4 could somehow get remakes of Jak/Ratchet/Sly, probably the greatest platform icon trifecta of all of Sony's consoles, all on the same platform that would be incredible :)

Heck I wouldn't mind if Insomniac went back and explored Spyro again but I know that is Activision property.

Naughty Dog already said they have no interest in making cartoon games so you might as well forget about it.

I feel like Sucker Punch wants to do something much bigger than Sly or Crash.
I feel like this is definitely the case. The only way I see them doing one of those franchises is as a smaller, budget title while working on something bigger, like what Insomniac does now basically.

Just started this game and its AWESOME. Played the whole series and I'm just digging this entry. I'm already planning on platinuming it :)

gamerMan

I forgot how good the original Ratchet and Clank was. These reviews confirm that the gameplay stands up even today. If this was an entirely new game, I would be getting it. While the statement that it looks like Pixar game in motion are completely exaggerated, it looks like one of the best remakes I have seen. It doesn't even look like the old game. Since Naughty Dog is done with cartoony platformers, I hope that Insomniac remakes Jak and Daxster because I never played that game before.

sn00zer

I forgot how good the original Ratchet and Clank was. These reviews confirm that the gameplay stands up even today. If this was an entirely new game, I would be getting it. While the statement that it looks like Pixar game in motion are completely exaggerated, it looks like one of the best remakes I have seen. It doesn't even look like the old game. Since Naughty Dog is done with cartoony platformers, I hope that Insomniac remakes Jak and Daxster because I never played that game before.

This is not an exaggeration. I can absolutely see why someone would say this

BONKERS

Liking it so far but god damn the game really feels "off" running at 30fps.

Yeah, it's a shame they cut the framerate in half over the original so they could focus more on prettier shading and graphics than delivering the highest performance so input as responsive as it should be.

Weren't all the PS3 ones 60FPS too? Edit ,No only the first one.

http://kotaku.com/5393106/insomniac-dev-ratchet--clank-probably-our-last-60fps-game

Uguu

Crying shame that is. This just reminds me why I love Nintendo.

phant0m

Picked up mine today at BB. Girl at the counter said it was a good thing I preordered, they only had 2 other copies and were sold out.

Fire up the presses Sony!

RK128

Yeah, it's a shame they cut the framerate in half over the original so they could focus more on prettier shading and graphics than delivering the highest performance so input as responsive as it should be.

Weren't all the PS3 ones 60FPS too? Edit ,No only the first one.

http://kotaku.com/5393106/insomniac-dev-ratchet--clank-probably-our-last-60fps-game

Uguu

Crying shame that is. This just reminds me why I love Nintendo.

As long as the game is locked at 30 and plays well, what is the issue with no 60FPS? I played through the original trilogy, 60FPS games, on my Vita via that version of the Ratchet Collection. They ran at 30FPS on Vita and it was more then playable to me.

Sorry the frame rate is that much of an issue for you though :(. And the PS3 games that were target at 60FPS are the following:
-Tools of Destruction (Dipped to 40-50FPS at times)
-Quest for Booty (almost a locked 60FPS for me)
-A Crack in Time (frequently drops to 40-50FPS)

Mikey Jr.

Well lets hope this and Yooka-Laylee are hits, and it does mean a comeback for platforming games, as it's a genre that really needs to come back.

I guess we can dream that after Naughty Dog are done with Uncharted 4, they will do a new next gen Jak & Daxter or get back the rights to Crash Bandicoot, which would be awesome with visuals like this new Ratchet & Clank, and knowing ND they would have it looking even better.

You don't waste nd talents on crash bandicoot. Thats like asking a master chef to go start flipping burgers again.

Nd are so above that as a studio that it's not even funny.

RK128

You don't waste nd talents on crash bandicoot. Thats like asking a master chef to go start flipping burgers again.

What is wrong with making platformers? I'm serious with that comment; they are a great genre and I would run toward a Naughty Dog platformer before Uncharted if I had the option honestly :l.

ND aren't above anything; they can make whatever game they want and people will love it :).

I dont get this? How is a realistic shooter more prestigious than a unique and creative platformer. Are Nintendo Tokyo EAD trash for still making mario games and not realistic shooters?

Chase17

Regarding the talk of rebooting Jak.....I'm not expecting that. If anything, I expect Jak and Daxter to be forgotten and replaced with Crash Bandicoot, assuming rumors are right and we get a new Crash game this fall.

If not, I can see Insomniac making the Jak game or BigRedButton (with HEAVY supervision from Naughty Dog and Sony) making it.

Sly Cooper I have more hope for, considering Sucker Punch finished up work on Second Son & First Light (DL Game) in 2014 so they can develop the title. Sanzaru also likely finished up work on Sonic Boom 3DS Fire & Ice (with SEGA just sitting on the completed game until the second season airs), so the can be free for the Sly game too.

Sly has a movie in the works and once Rainmaker is done with Ratchet, they can move on to full production of the Sly movie for 2017 or 2018 (giving either Sucker Punch or Sanzaru plenty of time to develop a new Sly game).

Naughty Dog moved on from the platformer with Last of Us and Uncharted, so I highly, highly doubt they will go back to making platformers in the future.
Big Red Button could reboot the Jak franchise with Jak boom. For whatever reason I though Big red button was done after sonic boom.

Also everyone should make platformers. They're the best.

RK128

Big Red Button could reboot the Jak franchise with Jak boom. For whatever reason I though Big red button was done after sonic boom.

Also everyone should make platformers. They're the best.

They're not done, just heavily down-sized after Boom's release. They were even part of a interview with members of SEGA Japan and Sonic Team.......that shocked me honestly, considering I would of imagined Sonic Team wanting to kick them out after Boom U's poor launch.

gamerMan

This is not an exaggeration. I can absolutely see why someone would say this

It's great that you feel that way. To me, the shadows, shaders, and lighting are not even close. In Ratchet and Clank, you can't see the lighting go through the fur. Even in the original Monster Inc that came out in 2001, you can see the lighting go through the fur and make out each strand. On a technical level, the lighting and shadowing techniques are not even close though it is one of the best looking games. Just not Pixar quality, which is a great exaggeration. We are still years away from Pixar like graphics on home consoles. Still, it's beautiful remake.

D0Ah8EG.jpg

Chase17

They're not done, just heavily down-sized after Boom's release. They were even part of a interview with members of SEGA Japan and Sonic Team.......that shocked me honestly, considering I would of imagined Sonic Team wanting to kick them out after Boom U's poor launch.
Sonic Boom 2 (4?): Return of the Rise of Lyric
NX launch title.

Well lets hope this and Yooka-Laylee are hits, and it does mean a comeback for platforming games, as it's a genre that really needs to come back.

I guess we can dream that after Naughty Dog are done with Uncharted 4, they will do a new next gen Jak & Daxter or get back the rights to Crash Bandicoot, which would be awesome with visuals like this new Ratchet & Clank, and knowing ND they would have it looking even better.

I don't think ND has any interest in going back to Jak game or go back to Crash.

After Uncharted and TLoU, why would they ever look back?

Kyzon

Yep. Assuming they make more Ratchet games in the future, this is their rebooted universe first game.

I started at Future on PS3. Loved it. Bought Quest for Booty (PSN), Crack in Time (amazing) and Nexus (too short, too late in the PS3 lifetime but still great) and I'm a fan.

Can't wait for this.

If you have a PS3, try Future and than Crack in Time. they are must play.

Awesome. Reboot should help out a ton then.

Illucio

Banned
Sly is getting a movie next after Ratchet & Clank movie. (Unless the movie flops.) So it's reasonable to expect Jak could make a possible remake as well.

Jak is also the game that needs a remake the most out of the trio. His first game is completely different from the rest of his games where his popularity booms in. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch in wanting to redo the story and gameplay almost entirely. I feel like they could almost skip Jak 1 all together or at least just make it a short tutorial, then quickly jump to Jak 2 and have the time skip and darker/mature Jak coming out of it in the games first 30 minutes.

I know there is a handful of people who like the original Jak, but I feel like cutting to the chase to Jak 2 is more beneficial in terms of a remake to the series. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think ND has any interest in going back to Jak game or go back to Crash.

You know the people behind The Last of Us said a similar comment. It was probably the most cocky and stupid comment I ever heard. They completely dismissed "cartoony" games and said "mature games" is their future. Jak WAS very successful. But the game had A LOT going against it. Not from the content itself, but from the creators side. Bad level designs, very challenging game that is almost unfair in some moments, bad pacing, and missing their mark on who they were marketing the game too which gave them hiccups. Yet besides all of that, the last 2 games are considered the some of the greatest PS2 games ever. But because Uncharted has more success because they actually bothered doing everything I mentioned and then some then The Last of Us taking a ride on everyone's love for a realistic/human zombie story (Walking Dead and so on.) They feel cocky enough to claim their success now is because people like more mature games and not the obvious fact they simply just matured as game creators that can now make better games and hit their market properly.

Jak has the potential to be much more popular now then it has ever been. But that's all on Naughty Dog actually giving it the love and support it needs rather then brushing it off to some amateurs that will experience similar problems they had when they first started making Jak games.

RK128

Sly is getting a movie next after Ratchet & Clank movie. (Unless the movie flops.) So it's reasonable to expect Jak could make a possible remake as well.

Jak is also the game that needs a remake the most out of the trio. His first game is completely different from the rest of his games where his popularity booms in. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch in wanting to redo the story and gameplay almost entirely. I feel like they could almost skip Jak 1 all together or at least just make it a short tutorial, then quickly jump to Jak 2 and have the time skip and darker/mature Jak coming out of it in the games first 30 minutes.

I know there is a handful of people who like the original Jak, but I feel like cutting to the chase to Jak 2 is more beneficial in terms of a remake to the series. But that's just my opinion.

I would agree with you jumping to Jak 2, but they really need to completely re-do the setting and the world at that point.

I think something like this would be good:
jak-and-daxter-the-lost-frontier-20091009015510760_640w.jpg

Something in-between the harsh world of the original Jak 2 but also having the color that Jak 1 had.

I personally enjoy Jak 2 on a core story and gameplay level but they really, REALLY need to fix a lot about the game. Harsh difficulty and horrid cop AI mainly.

But.....I would personally want them to give Jak 1 the remake treatment, as I feel its the best one in the series (with Daxter being second and Jak 3 being third).

VeeP

This new Naughtydog probably can't even make a great Jak game.

Their focus now is on linear, cinematic style games.

Jak games were always very open world, a huge amount of freedom, and some great platforming.

This new Naughtydog probably can't even make a great Jak game.

Their focus now is on linear, cinematic style games.

Jak games were always very open world, a huge amount of freedom, and some great platforming.
I wouldn't go that far. I think they just don't want to.

xHiryu

I am so excited that this game is reviewing well. I haven't played a Ratchet and Clank game since Deadlocked on the PS2, missed out on the entire Future series since I didn't own a PS3.

Will get this and Uncharted 4 on the same day!

VanWinkle

It's great that you feel that way. To me, the shadows, shaders, and lighting are not even close. In Ratchet and Clank, you can't see the lighting go through the fur. Even in the original Monster Inc that came out in 2001, you can see the lighting go through the fur and make out each strand. On a technical level, the lighting and shadowing techniques are not even close though it is one of the best looking games. Just not Pixar quality, which is a great exaggeration. We are still years away from Pixar like graphics on home consoles. Still, it's beautiful remake.

D0Ah8EG.jpg

Are you sure that bottom image is from Monsters Inc and not Monsters University? The lighting looks way better than I remember Monsters Inc being.

DigSCCP

I'm thinking if Jak comes back it will definitely not be a Naughty Dog game.

Im completely fine with a Sucker Punch Jak.
They got the know how to do a plataform game.
They nail at gameplay.
Theirs engine is gorgeous and perfect for OW.
Honestly I would rather see them making a new Jak instead of ND, wich I think should follow the route they went on PS3.

Damn great scores!

Can't wait to play this. I was going to wait till after I cleared some backlog including DS3 but I think I should buy now when it is hot

timmyp53

Are you sure that bottom image is from Monsters Inc and not Monsters University? The lighting looks way better than I remember Monsters Inc being.

That's Monsters University (2013) but I think Insomniac always is pushing the boundaries. Looks amazing for sure I can see Pixar comparisons but Pixar will always be king though.

Hexa

D0Ah8EG.jpg

That's Monsters University. When it comes to Monsters Inc, I think that Ratchet actually beats it in some areas, though Monsters Inc is still somewhat better overall. But it's not "not even close" like it is with Monsters University.

NBtoaster

D0Ah8EG.jpg

Isn't that shot from the Ratchet movie, not the game?

Top Bottom