• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank - Review Thread

gamerMan

Are you sure that bottom image is from Monsters Inc and not Monsters University? The lighting looks way better than I remember Monsters Inc being.

You are right it is from Monsters University, but it doesn't matter because Pixar's stuff is clearly above Ratchet and Clank especially in the lighting and shadowing department. Anyway, here is the comparison to Monster's Inc.

bb67RHa.jpg

Ashhong

hmmm just cancelled my pre-order the other day because I don't think I even have time to play it. Maybe I should rethink that.

Movies and Games are basically incomparable when it comes to visual design. Games have to look good at as many angles as possible, which is basically impossible unless you use a fixed camera like Resident Evil HD and even then the backgrounds do not age well. Movies only have to look good (or appropriate) at one angle or a small set of angles per shot.

The Pixar Aesthetic is conveyed quite well in Ratchet and Clank even if the technical ability isn't quite there. At the Very least two generations later, I think it's safe to say Insomniac made something close to Sony's promise close to the Toy Story level visuals here however.

my problem with this game being a big success is that i want more colorful 3d platformers like ratchet but i dont want any more ratchet and clank after playing 6 of them last 2 gens.

so i feel like i need to support a game i didnt want in hopes of getting more 3d platformers that i do want.

thats a hell of a first world problem i have right now.

KORNdoggy

You are right it is from Monsters University, but it doesn't matter because Pixar's stuff is clearly above Ratchet and Clank especially in the lighting and shadowing department. Anyway, here is the comparison to Monster's Inc.

gotta say, i actually think ratchet looks better here. early pixar stuff hasn't held up very well at all.

oggob

Is the ratchet trilogy good on PS Vita?

In my opinion no. The first game is quite buggy and I found the controls pretty frustrating. Never played 2 or 3 on vita though.

Counter-point... they are serviceable and completely playable. (I have all 3 Platinums)

The first one has aged the worst because it was the first in the series and it was also a time when alot of 3D platform games didn't have strafing options, so yes, the controls can be annoying in the original, but it's not unplayable.

The sequels control better because you do have the strafe option, which is mapped to the back touch pad, but you will find that you will have your fingers on the pad anyway so it's fine.

When the action ramps up, it can drop some frames, but they still play great.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I dont get this? How is a realistic shooter more prestigious than a unique and creative platformer. Are Nintendo Tokyo EAD trash for still making mario games and not realistic shooters?

They have moved on from that "type" of game now.

As someone with a nephew who watches Monsters Inc every time he visits, I'd hope that Ratchet looks better than it.

Personally think a lot of games comfortably look better than early Pixar at this point.

Fair review. The enjoyed it, but were disappointed in the lack of new additions, particularly new creative weaponry which the series is known for.

Having not played the first game, this is not quite the same issue for me, although after playing the PS3 games, I would like the next game to expand on the formula, to become something like a space zelda game, with more focus on exploration and narrative to compliment the rock solid mechanics.

nib95

Banned

To be fair, the game is a re-imagining, essentially a souped up Remaster, and has been priced accordingly. Even then it still has new weapons, updated mechanics etc. I think in this instance scolding it for not having enough original content or new stuff is somewhat missing the point.

eerik9000

Fair review. The enjoyed it, but were disappointed in the lack of new additions, particularly new creative weaponry which the series is known for.

I don't think that is a fair criticism at all. It is a remake of the first game that already has a lot of weapons/stages/mechanics that were not in the original game.

MrMette

To be fair, the game is a re-imagining, essentially a souped up Remaster, and has been priced accordingly. Even then it still has new weapons, updated mechanics etc. I think in this instance scolding it for not having enough original content or new stuff is somewhat missing the point.

They still think it is recommended, so it isn't a bad score perse. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Our ratings: 5 Stars - Masterful, 4 Stars - Excellent, 3 Stars - Recommended, 2 Stars - Lacking, 1 Star - Poor

I have pre-ordered the game (as it is not out yet in Europe) and am looking forward to it. Their review did not stop me from buying it at all.

Fady K

Yes. They did their most anticipated list for 2016 on GT before it was shutdown and U4 was at #3 behind P5 and FFXV.

That's pretty high up. Hopefully all of us Uncharted fans will be happy with 4. If it's personally close to being as good as two, I'll be very satisfied.

As for Ratchet and Clank, 58 reviews, all positive. Incredible for Insomniac.

Servbot24

Banned
Don't agree with EZA - remakes should not automatically have points reduced because they're a remake. That said 3.5 is a good score and based on the first couple hours (having never played Ratchet) seems pretty close so far.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

That shot of ratchet is CGI from the movie. Anyways this debate always comes up with gamed of this style. The fact is its still not Pixar levels,its just not. That being said the visuals are absolutely insane and its another step closer to CGI quality.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I think the weapon arsenal is tricky, and while I understand from a reviewer's perspective, I disagree.

Going with greatest hits from the series was a creative choice. It certainly saved us some production time in that we didn't have to dream up new models, but we still rebuilt them all for scratch on the PS4.

That said, we were tying into the film, and the film was going to use lots of weapons fans have seen before to make it feel right (vs introducing a whole new arsenal). Lots of players who saw the film will want the game weapons to match up

So we wanted some of that film arsenal to show up here correctly and tie it in. I think the new weapons in this game are the only two that DON'T show up the film.

lcap

I think the weapon arsenal is tricky, and while I understand from a reviewer's perspective, I disagree.

Going with greatest hits from the series was a creative choice. It certainly saved us some production time in that we didn't have to dream up new models, but we still rebuilt them all for scratch on the PS4.

That said, we were tying into the film, and the film was going to use lots of weapons fans have seen before to make it feel right (vs introducing a whole new arsenal). Lots of players who saw the film will want the game weapons to match up

So we wanted some of that film arsenal to show up here correctly and tie it in. I think the new weapons in this game are the only two that DON'T show up the film.

200.gif

Vinc

This game is a pure delight so far. I'm so, so happy with it. Best insomniac game since ACIT from the looks of it, and it seems apparent from the beginning. 40 bucks seems like such a steal. Hot damn.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Have we had a game this gen or the last one with a unanimous (so far 63) reviews being in the 'positive' bar on Metacritic?

pixelation

Where's my blaster?... T_T

I just got this today! First new game since SFV (and I'm still waiting for that game to be finished).

It's sold out everywhere but I got a 'buy online and pick up' at Best Buy. Gonna play after going to the gym and writing for a bit.

I never owned a PS2, so I never played a Rachet & Clank game ever!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was thinking Bloodborne but it had 99 positive and 1 mixed.

You are correct.

(Still has yet to play Bloodborne... I know I know).

It is holding unanimously strong. Good shit Insomniac. Well deserved.

I just got this today! First new game since SFV (and I'm still waiting for that game to be finished).

It's sold out everywhere but I got a 'buy online and pick up' at Best Buy. Gonna play after going to the gym and writing for a bit.

I never owned a PS2, so I never played a Rachet & Clank game ever!

You are in for a real treat. Going to give you all the nostalgic feels of the 3D platfromer boom.

(Never played the PS2 one's myself either.)

Hopefully you guys focus on the fun levels and extras and not the weapons like the sequels did more and more of. Best feeling was near the start of this game getting the sling shot, still some of the best levels in the entire series are early on in the first game.

I feel like I'm approaching the end of the game now and the universal acclaim is absolutely worth it. Now all I hope is that is sells well enough to get more ratchet games down the line.

sn00zer

I feel like I'm approaching the end of the game now and the universal acclaim is absolutely worth it. Now all I hope is that is sells well enough to get more ratchet games down the line.

Im actually happier if his is the last Ratchet and this is instead used as a spring board for bringing back other franchises.

Im actually happier if his is the last Ratchet and this is instead used as a spring board for bringing back other franchises.

As good as this R&C is, and being a culmination of the many cool things the series has done over the years, it still doesn't feel like a good cap-off game.

Ideally I would want one more R&C game that's a sequel to this, but takes place post-Future storyline that's a meaty finale story arc to cap off R&C for good.

Expiring Clank : One last time?
Old Ratchet : One last time. (until the next reboot)

Tuck

As good as this R&C is, and being a culmination of the many cool things the series has done over the years, it still doesn't feel like a good cap-off game.

Ideally I would want one more R&C game that's a sequel to this, but takes place post-Future storyline that's a meaty finale story arc to cap off R&C for good.

Expiring Clank : One last time?
Old Ratchet : One last time. (until the next reboot)

Even after 4 games, the Future series feels unfinished. I definitely want a sequel to Into the Nexus.

I'm not sure what Insomniac's original intent for the Future series was, but the Big game > Small game > Big game > Small game was weird and really messed with the pacing of the overall narrative. Not to mention the whole Lombax thing went absolutely nowhere.

The point of CiT and ItN was for Ratchet to accept that "there's more for him here than over there" and that he doesn't need to find the Lombaxes to be fulfilled, right? I don't think they need to find the Lombaxes. The arc felt complete to me.
well it's still up in the air since Clank took the broken Dimensionator with him at the end >.>
I hope they at least hold the whole "find the Lombaxes" thing off for a bit if they do end up making more games set in the old continuity.

Tuck

The point of CiT and ItN was for Ratchet to accept that "there's more for him here than over there" and that he doesn't need to find the Lombaxes to be fulfilled, right? I don't think they need to find the Lombaxes. The arc felt complete to me.
well it's still up in the air since Clank took the broken Dimensionator with him at the end >.>
I hope they at least hold the whole "find the Lombaxes" thing off for a bit if they do end up making more games set in the old continuity.

I'd agree, if they had stuck to that. But Clank finding the dimensionator was a weird cliff hanger that sort of went against the entire point of the story, and left it open ended and lacking conclusion.

There were other parts of the Future series story that bugged me, tbh. Like the fact that talwyn disappears for an entire game for seemingly no reason, or the fact that the entire thing is one giant retcon of both Ratchet and Clank's backstory. But those are more minor things.

Even after 4 games, the Future series feels unfinished. I definitely want a sequel to Into the Nexus.

I'm not sure what Insomniac's original intent for the Future series was, but the Big game > Small game > Big game > Small game was weird and really messed with the pacing of the overall narrative. Not to mention the whole Lombax thing went absolutely nowhere.

I think a big thing for them was using the R&C IP for experimental gameplay or game design stuff, be it different length of experiences (Quest for Booty, Into The Nexus) or type of experiences (All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault). I think their intentions were good to keep the franchise going despite the first few PS3 R&Cs (I'd assume) underperforming, but I think it sort of damaged the image of the brand a bit. I for one liked Into The Nexus, for what it's worth, and this new R&C seems like a more fleshed out and polished version of that. So I'm really happy.

I kinda doubt they'll do a complete remake of Going Commando, or at least won't set it in an entirely different galaxy. Just seems like something that'd be unnecessary to do.when the rest of the series has gotten a lot of mileage out of Solana.

Top Bottom