• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank - Review Thread

Kouriozan

Already finished it at 100% on PS2, I'm tempted to pick this up again but I don't know, it won't really feel fresh.
Trying to read reviews about what's new and stuff but so far I'm out of luck.

CHC

IGN says 15 hours for the campaign. That's great!

Length of the game isn't everything but it's at least nice to see that the bullshit "5 hour long game" rumors from the other thread were (predictably) not true.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Holy shit, I'm a big fan of the series so I was sold either way, but these reviews are far better than I was expecting.

Congratulations Insomniac!

Hedrush

Fuck waiting, I'm just buying it on US PSN.

giphy.gif

God bless America

I'm with you man.

Never really played a ratchet title.

If I liked Sunset overdrives weapons but hated the american-centric fratboy humour, would this be a decent pickup?

Yes. They are both very similar games.

@OP - pretty good scores overall. Im hoping for around of at least 86 overall by the end of it though. But it seems like im off by 5 points with every game this generation almost. Reviewers are definitely harsher this generation. Its got an 85 now though xD

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Nice scores. Found out my staff price (via my brother) is $39AU. Fucking sweeeet. Hopefully I can platinum it before Uncharted 4 drops.

Osahi

Shame I had to pass on the review. Was really stoked for finally another good platformer, and everything I saw of it looked brilliant.

Preordered it though. We puny Europeans have to wait another week though :(

Naythan

Oh no, the The Order 1886 is happening again... Some of those comments in previous thready now seems silly.

I've seen 10 hours posted elsewhere. What's mostly notable is that I haven't seen a single review yet that actually complains about the length.

Karak

He does, he talks about how when revisiting levels to get collectables they feel really empty.

Ah interesting. I talked about this in my video and didn't know if anyone else would pick up on it. I felt that way the first time through even. There is a strange feeling of "watching a movie" in the background and scars go by and such but there is a lacking component of actually interacting or even seeing those you save.

I've seen 10 hours posted elsewhere. What's mostly notable is that I haven't seen a single review yet that actually complains about the length.
Took me less than 8 and yet with unlocks and stuff its fine. It is also 40$. So I am assuming even if it is shorter thats taken into some account.

Downhome

It blows my mind that it has almost been 15 years since the first game debuted. There are kids today, maybe some in this very thread, who are just really starting to play video games in a big way and this will be their very first taste of the series. The passage of time, how does it work, haha.

To the newcomers, enjoy, really. It's an all time great series and while it does receive great marks, I still consider it terribly underrated in the grand scheme of video game history.

aravuus

Great scores. I always thought the first game was a bit boring compared to the later ones, but I think I'm gonna get this when I start to run out of games to play in May-June.

platocplx

Already finished it at 100% on PS2, I'm tempted to pick this up again but I don't know, it won't really feel fresh.

from what reviews are saying it will feel fresh at certain parts and some things have changed, especially dialogue and weapons.

MBS

Banned
I was expecting mid-high 70s to low 80s. It's currently averaging 86% on Metacritic and 87% on Opecritic. Congrats Insomniac, it's refreshing to see an old-school platformer to do that well in today's industry landscape.

DieH@rd

Banned
Looks like there is more than enough [quality!] content present:

IGN - "The 15-hour campaign follows some of the same whimsical, Star Wars-inspired storyline as the original game, but adds depth to characters while expanding the scope of the adventure."

Destructoid - "You can mop up the main missions in under 10 hours, but to collect everything and fully upgrade your weapons may take another playthrough (there's the New Game + Challenge Mode for that)."

TheSixAxis - "My first play through on the normal skill level took at least fifteen hours and I’ve already started my second game on a more challenging difficulty."

GamesRadar - "All told, the budget $40 / £28 price tag on Ratchet & Clank feels just right. It took me just over 8 hours to finish the main story, and I look forward to more hours spent chasing down weapon upgrades, collectible cards, and cheat-code-enabling Gold Bolts (with even more mileage awaiting those brave enough for the amped-up difficulty of the post-credits Challenge Mode)."

gaming trend (75/100):

It’s beautiful, funny and fun, but also, short and stale...

okay. i get how it could be the first 3, plus short. but how can it be beautiful, funny, fun and 'stale' at the same time?! :) ...

Here's my review, 8.5 / 10 from PlayStation Universe (PSU):

http://www.psu.com/review/29747/Ratchet-+-Clank-PS4-Review--Better-with-Time

It’s tempting to call Ratchet & Clank a return to form for Insomniac Games’ venerated platformer, but in truth, it never really fell out of form. It’s just been awhile since our last proper blockbuster entry. 2009’s A Crack in Time was the series’ high point for me, bridging intimate character development with an epic story, small moments with colossal sights, and tons of meaty weapons with satisfying progression. PS4’s Ratchet & Clank, a reboot to tie in with the upcoming movie, hits most of these high notes en route to earning a place among the greats. But its ties to the movie also add unnecessary fluff to a classic story, and series staples feel out of place in an otherwise modern platformer.

To be clear, Marty did do side-stuff like revisiting planets and apparently (some) grinding of weapon upgrades, so he spent more time with the game than someone who just blazed through the story.

FZW

Anybody been able to preload this? I choose download and it just downloads the theme (which I already have)

Also the Auto download check box wont stay checked

Wow. Much better than I thought! Is there a photomode? I might download it from US psn if so, if not I'll wait for UK release (gives me time to finish uncharted collection) :p

PaulloDEC

Wonderful to see such great reviews coming in. Gonna make the wait for the stupid delayed AU release a lot harder, though.

You'll recognise scenarios and locations if you're very familiar with the original, but this is a reimagining, not a remake.

IGN says 15 hours for the campaign. That's great!

Length of the game isn't everything but it's at least nice to see that the bullshit "5 hour long game" rumors from the other thread were (predictably) not true.

Sorry to disappoint, but it's definitely more like 5 hours. 15-hour campaign is ludicrous. It's probably the shortest main-line Ratchet game.

Just shows how incredibly talented Insomniac are. After the absolutely AMAZING Sunset Overdrive, yet another masterpiece comes our way. Congratulations, can't wait to dive in!!

Osahi

Anybody been able to preload this? I choose download and it just downloads the theme (which I already have)

Also the Auto download check box wont stay checked

There seem to be some preload issues according to Insomniacs Twitter. Sony should be looking into it.

FelipeMGM

funny no Gamespot or Polygon reviews are up yet, but Im not really interested on theirs anyway. Now only looking forward for Giant Bomb and Jimquistion ones

Downhome

And while I'm grateful for the cheaper price, I always am, I will say this. I hope that the lower "bargain" price doesn't sway some newbies away from checking it out with the thinking that it must be rubbish to be priced so much lower. Heck, you can get it for just over $30 at Best Buy if you have GCU.

thenexus6

Does anyone know - is the soundtrack the same just remastered? The original R&C soundtrack is one of my all time favourites.

Spring for it! It feels like a totally new game. You'll recognize some weapons and locations, but the gameplay is very different, and very updated.

Top Bottom