• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recore announced (Spring 2016, Armature and Inafune, Xbox One exclusive)

The head of the studio is Mark Pacini, who was the lead game designer on all three games. He also brought some senior staff with him, but it wasn't some big Infinity Ward-style exodus.

FWIW, though, Retro is said to have an excellent corporate culture that fills in holes quite well. Bluepoint was founded by the lead engine designer for the first two games, and they still managed to pull of some rather remarkable stuff since his departure.

Actually, it WAS a pretty big exodus. The engineering division in particular was hit hard. Just not that many of them went to Armature. I think there are more at Bluepoint actually than there are at Armature. Plenty of people from the early days of Retro are still there though.

massoluk

Banned
Armature have had a long ass time to prove themselves though and they haven't. The rep from having made Metroid Prime can only carry them so far. May be Inafune's guiding hands can make it happen.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Because we ALL KNOW how great a former Nintendo Dev team has worked out great under Microsoft instead of Nintendo. I mean look at all of those great game Rare has brought us since the Microsoft buy out in 2002!.....wait...

Ridley327

Actually, it WAS a pretty big exodus. The engineering division in particular was hit hard. Just not that many of them went to Armature. I think there are more at Bluepoint actually than there are at Armature. Plenty of people from the early days of Retro are still there though.

Well, it's not like they have to travel far. I think they're literally down the same hall from each other in the office building they occupy in Austin.

But like I said, you really wouldn't know if they ever got big staffing hits. Nintendo's managerial magic after the early culling really stuck with them.

Metalmarc

G3yb.png

Looks like lara croft here

Well, it's not like they have to travel far. I think they're literally down the same hall from each other in the office building they occupy in Austin.

But like I said, you really wouldn't know if they ever got big staffing hits. Nintendo's managerial magic after the early culling really stuck with them.

True... But Retro games have a feel to them that aren't present in other Nintendo games. They've created a studio culture there through the folks that have stuck around through the years, and have done a great job maintaining that feel even through the staff changes and genre shifts.

Edit:

Website: http://www.recoregame.com/2015/06/15/welcome-to-the-official-recore-community/

RK128

This is awesome :'); Armature making their first original IP since their work on the Metroid series.

While Blackgate wasn't a great game, this has the potential to be amazing, as not only is this coming to a next-generation console but it has a strong creative lead (Inafune) helming the production of the tittle. Remember how Myamotto was instrumental in helping Retro establish elements of the Prime 1 and lead that team on the right path? I'm thinking Inafune will do the same here, so I have a lot of hope for this to be fantastic :D.

I like how the orb works from the trailer; insert the device into machines and they come to life. I could see that working in some very creative ways, I am really excited to see more of this game :D.

Percy

Banned
After last year, no gameplay shown leads me to believe this is gonna be a ways off.

I'm calling delay... unless it's a small digital title or something?

Fuck yeah, Armature. Gameplay please!

Original staff left and created Armature.

wasn't it like... 2 or 3 creative leads that left? Like the Creative Director and the Art Director? I don't recall it being the "original staff" I feel like the comment discounts the current Retro Studios team.

Verger

Banned
wasn't it like... 2 or 3 creative leads that left? Like the Creative Director and the Art Director? I don't recall it being the "original staff"
Yep, there's still a huge chunk of the Prime team still at Retro. GAF's own Lathentar included :)

And Michael Kelbaugh is still leading the studio

SkyOdin

The concept seems potentially interesting, but until we see at least some gameplay it is impossible to tell for sure. Is it a first-person game, third-person game, or a 2D game? We don't know anything about what it is yet.

If you're going to make a CGI trailer, at least make it so you can tell what the game actually is and what you do.

I have no hype for this because I have no idea what it actually is. I don't even know what genre it is.

Feichaw

It has an intriguing concept at least, but we haven't seen much of it to make a judgement. I'll wait for gameplays and previews.

pswii60

If you're going to make a CGI trailer, at least make it so you can tell what the game actually is and what you do.

I have no hype for this because I have no idea what it actually is. I don't even know what genre it is.
This. I really hate cgi trailers and I want to be hyped for this game given the talent behind it. Seems strange debuting a cg trailer for a game coming out in spring next year too.

Vena

This is the second time microsoft acknowledge Metroid while anouncing another game.

I agree it's too weird.

Its one of the few and rare generation/genre defining games, so why not tie your project to its lineage even if only tangentially?

RiggyRob

Cheeky fuckers saying it's from the makers of Metroid Prime. While true, it's a sneaky way of mentioning a game completely unrelated to Xbox in anyway instead of the other, less critically acclaimed games from Armature.

Cool concept and talented team. Count me interested. Sounded like theyre planning it to be a franchise, not a singular entry as well

Armature is an unproven quantity so far. The only original game they've released was mediocre at best.

MS was a bit misleading with naming them.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Concept looks decent enough, curious what kind of game it'll turn out to be

Shiggy

Armature Studio has:

Marc Pacini (Game Director on MP series)
Todd Keller (Lead Art on MP series)
Jack Matthew (Tech Director on MP series)
Steve McCrea (Engineering on MP series)
Tom Ivey (Senior Design on MP3)
Elizabeth Foster (Senior Art on MP series)
Bobby Pavlock (Design on MP3)
Kip Carbone (Art on MP3)
Rob Brown (Special Thanks on MP1)

The more senior MP staff actually is at Armature Studio.

Top Bottom