• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tebunker

Banned
I've stated before and since any specs were revealed this gen most would have shitty cpus this turned out to be true, so to be fair my own perspective is skewed.

amd 8350 stock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U. All 3 of big 3 manufacturers got this issue wrong, yet I know next gen 2 of them won't cause they tend to do a decent job. Nintendo isn't impressing anyone.

And how would you feel if it released at $250?

Honestly I don't think Nintendo is going after Sony and MS as mucch as maybe they are pivoting to the apple tv market and creating a set top box that shares a software platform with their handheld before eventually merging the two.

$250 or $300 would be a competitive pice at that power level and it would far surpass anything in their target demo.

Not saying it is right or the right direction but Nintendo is definitely not trying to beat Sony and Ms on power.

ReyVGM

Nintendo really needs to address this whole "shared architecture" thing, because a lot of people are taking it as cross-play between systems and they are going to be the first ones denouncing Nintendo when they find out it's not like that. You won't be able to play ZeldaU/NX on the handheld, or if Final Fantasy 15 gets announced, that will be for console only.

What you're going to get is what the PS4/Vita did or what the WiiU/3DS has done. Certain games will be on both devices, or certain games will use assets from another one to create a new game.

But expecting every game to run on both devices? You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

MK_768

Done it before and don't do it often. I stated exactly why I entered the thread FUD and way too much hype.

Saying I'm shitting on on nintendo when history speaks otherwise says more about you actually knowing my own history on the subject of leaks here/b3d or how I tend to post in regards to nintendo. I'm speaking on one clear issue while saying the rest is a mess and there are no clear answer, I think most consumers would prefer nintendo to have a clue even MS had clue with X1 despite it being misguided.

First of all, I never said that you, specifically, were shitting on Nintendo. You can make that assumption all you want but I never mentioned you. In fact I was more talking about the people that take what you say as fact and then go with it. My criticism was toward those that come here to essentially say that Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

But no, I don't know much about you history on leaks and frankly I don't care. I prefer to take facts more seriously than anything.

I want them to remain 1st party if only so that they continue funding Xenoblade and Platinum games for the sake of library diversity.

Also I still want my gimmicks.

I've seen this argument made before and it doesn't seem based on anything. Sega still published diverse games long after after the hardware business such as Binary Domain, Valkyrie Chronicles, Bayonetta, etc. Nintendo like any other publisher will fund games that will return a profit.

Instro

Sooo the NX may be a little stronger than the ps4? Am I reading it correctly?

Without knowing where the GPU falls, we won't really know.

As far as talking CPU alone, I would hope that with the next roll around (as in PS5, NX2, etc.), we see some bigger gains in CPU performance. That was pretty stagnant from last gen to current gen in terms of raw power.

Pokemaniac

Nintendo really needs to address this whole "shared architecture" thing, because a lot of people are taking it as cross-play between systems and they are going to be the first ones denouncing Nintendo when they find out it's not like that. You won't be able to play ZeldaU/NX on the handheld, or if Final Fantasy 15 gets announced, that will be for console only.

What you're going to get is what the PS4/Vita did or what the WiiU/3DS has done. Certain games will be on both devices, or certain games will use assets from another one to create a new game.

But expecting every game to run on both devices? You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

No one with reasonable expectations is expecting a fully shared library.

But one where like 60-70% of the games are shared? That could really be something.

ozfunghi

So NX should be a little more powerful than PS4? Kinda weak as it's 3 year older, PS4K will declass it very fast.

What is PS4K? Is it a PS4 that will output 4k? In which case, does the CPU of the PS4K need to be much more powerful, or only the GPU? Or are they making a whole new console, that will run games the PS4 won't be able to run (making it more of a PS5 than a PS4) while alienating the tens of millions that bought a PS4?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Sooo the NX may be a little stronger than the ps4? Am I reading it correctly?

Noticeable but there'a huge gap between between where NX/PS4 is and midrange pcs it's clear as day with multiplatform benchmarks in some games at 1080p, it's noticeable in GTA5 which is a last gen product. I'm literally saying it after that controller thread people wanting or thinking that we're getting some mega good cpu might want to tone it down.

I mention the SDK because by no means whether it's rumor or my source am I hearing this amazing shit this thread is implying either. If it's amazing then let one company pull off what factor 5 did with the GC games in terms of high tech being done in a few months. Otherwise for all intents and purposes it's hogwash. I don't care if you can port low end indie game, that's something the X1 can do. Let see this system handle something like witcher 3, which could utterly prove my point hypothetically.

Nanashrew

Banned
Honestly, there's no reason to worry about PS4K unless they decide to mess with the market and make some exclusive games for it.

diaspora

Nobody said they were expecting a mega CPU though mang, only that it'd be ballpark PS4 which is what you're telling us.

-Horizon-

I feel like they'll launch it for $299. They already saw what happened with the Wii U and its lol $350 price tag (though we can blame the gamepad for inflating that price) and the 3DS being improperly priced as well. Would be embarrassing if they think they can get away with a "deluxe" pricing mindset in this market when they have so much to prove that they still have a market.

Asd202

What is PS4K? Is it a PS4 that will output 4k? In which case, does the CPU of the PS4K need to be much more powerful, or only the GPU? Or are they making a whole new console, that will run games the PS4 won't be able to run (making it more of a PS5 than a PS4) while alienating the tens of millions that bought a PS4?

Rumors say it's an more powerful PS4 full backwards compatiable, more powerful GPU, maybe more powerful CPU.

Ad0ve

Banned
If the handheld and console dont have a full shared library, they might as well give up already. Nobody got time for software droughts

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's not fun to talk and I leaked details on the cpu twice, cube/wii.

Yeah? I want to see it. I'm tired of everyone and their mother claiming they have contacts or are insiders.

Yes, I want the damn receipts.

Who

Banned
Hyperbole aside, do you guys think there will be a single western third party game at the launch of the NX?

Sandfox

I've stated before and since any specs were revealed this gen most would have shitty cpus this turned out to be true, so to be fair my own perspective is skewed.

amd 8350 stock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U. All 3 of big 3 manufacturers got this issue wrong, yet I know next gen 2 of them won't cause they tend to do a decent job. Nintendo isn't impressing anyone.

Noticeable but there'a huge gap between between where NX/PS4 is and midrange pcs it's clear as day with multiplatform benchmarks in some games at 1080p, it's noticeable in GTA5 which is a last gen product. I'm literally saying it after that controller thread people wanting or thinking that we're getting some mega good cpu might want to tone it down.

I mention the SDK because by no means whether it's rumor or my source am I hearing this amazing shit this thread is implying either. If it's amazing then let one company pull off what factor 5 did with the GC games in terms of high tech being done in a few months. Otherwise for all intents and purposes it's hogwash. I don't care if you can port low end indie game, that's something the X1 can do. Let see this system handle something like witcher 3, which could utterly prove my point hypothetically.
That honestly sounds decent enough to me and probably better than what quite a few people have been expecting on the internet.
Hyperbole aside, do you guys think there will be a single western third party game at the launch of the NX?
Obviously.

Fredrik

I'm a Nintendo fan and can sometimes be on apologist or dreamer but I have to agree with you if true. It's time for Nintendo to shit or get off the pot. Put out a system that supports all the modern engines while outclassing the three year old consoles in every single way. There is no excuse. No gimmicks. They can't play this game where they think they're not in the same industry as Sony and Microsoft and aren't competing for the same audience. If they fuck up the NX just tucking go third party, since I buy their hardware for their games only. I wouldn't shed a tear if I never had a Nintendo console again as long as their games were available on other platforms like PC, PS, XB, etc.
Why do you want a third generic midrange $300-400 PC-like console?? Seriously, what's the point, who wants that, isn't this generation boring enough as it is?? We already have XB1 and PS4 pretending to be PCs decently enough, just do the obvious thing and buy a real PC if you're still not satisfied, imo there is zero reason to launch another console of that sort this generation, even if it has a Nintendo logo on it. It's nice if it's powerful of course but most of all I just want something NEW!

Instro

But will they take an L on GPU though? Dont think so

Depends. Besting the CPU in the PS4/XBO is not a particularly difficult task. It could be done very cheaply, and simply by going with any recent CPU. Depending on what they want to do with console costs it's possible that the GPU+RAM is not pushing past the PS4.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

PS4K rumors so far:

• 4K capable HDMI Out.
  • "Double" the GPU power.
  • Smaller chips, cooler.
  • $400.
  • Debating about updating the CPU. If yes then is $500 for the final console.

maxcriden

That's just CPU, not the whole system

Right. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd be very surprised if the NX console was more powerful than PS4, let alone as powerful as it. We heard those rumors (or did Nintendo actually say at some point, or hint strongly at least?) that Nintendo would seek a lower price point for their next system.

With PS4 and XB1 offering a nextgen experience with the third party MP games many are playing on their systems, as well as significant mainly SP third party games in Sony's case*, it's harder to imagine Nintendo being successful with a high-priced machine, unless it grabs the industry by storm based on what it offers, like with the Wii.**

*Does Microsoft have any big SP franchises?

**Which wasn't even expensive, FWIW. I'm struggling to think when Nintendo sold a system at a high price with considerable success.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Yeah? I want to see it. I'm tired of everyone and their mother claiming they have contacts or are insiders.

Yes, I want the damn receipts.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/broadway-specs.31802/

That's my other name plenty of soul calibur and tekken competive types will vouch that's my name as well.

Everyone and their mother isn't me, so yeah,,,,,,I shat on nintendo for going this route 14 years ago, the irony of having to argue it now is making this wine pop even more.

Malus

It's negative on the platform cause nintendo isn't doing what 3rd parties want, which is where everything is really going to come to head with this system. I also know based on past experience enthusiasts will tear it up with unrealistic expectations. I'm checking them cause my cpu stats are modest compared to people literally wanting OC i7 like performance which no console maker is doing soon.

I understand why you think it's negative but from a personal perspective I already got a PS4 for 3rd parties and might upgrade to PS4K eventually. I just want my Nintendo games to look nice and shiny.

ozfunghi

Rumors say it's an more powerful PS4 full backwards compatiable, more powerful GPU, maybe more powerful CPU.

So chances are, the PS4K CPU won't necessarily be all that much more powerful. If it were, it would probably be more of a PS5 than a PS4K. Which was what i was getting at. Anyhow, unless Sony wants to fuck over their current userbase, they will need to keep PS4 games (downports) flowing, which is basically enough for NX to get into the game. And PS4K just lengthened the period for it to stay relevant, how i look at it.

PS4K rumors so far:

• 4K capable HDMI Out.
  • "Double" the GPU power.
  • Smaller chips, cooler.
  • $400.
  • Debating about updating the CPU. If yes then is $500 for the final console.

Thanks. That's what i meant. The CPU doesn't have to be much more powerful in order to output PS4 in 4K. And i doubt Sony will release a PS5 within two years of PS4K. If they do upgrade the CPU as well, in order for devs to take advantage of to create games not possible on PS4 (aside from graphics), it would likely piss off a bunch of PS4 owners. At least when this becomes the norm. When it doesn't become the norm, that means NX can get a foot in the door.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I understand why you think it's negative but from a personal perspective I already got a PS4 for 3rd parties and might upgrade to PS4K eventually. I just want my Nintendo games to look nice and shiny.

Compared to WiiU, if you liked mario kart or other games this new system should be a wet dream with what nintendo can do. For other powerhouses who use a lot more, they do stuff but nothing like what high end pc stuff is starting to do now. It wlll be a very good port machine and step up for nintendo or nintendo only developers like Shin'en

Oh I guess you aren't really saying anything different than the other rumors saying the NX is noticeably more powerful than the PS4. You just think they can do more with cpu/ram/sdk. Well could there be a reason for the underwhelming cpu? Have you heard if it's x86 or ARM? Scalability with the handheld? Does the devkit have more ram that could be released later?

What tangible benefits has x86 brought the end user in PS4 and X1? There were so many "it is going to be so much easier to x now!" around when they came out, and I'm not sure anything came of it. Easier ports?

Easier PC to console port and vice versa, and it's the most commonly used architecture aside from ARM.

MK_768

So chances are, the PS4K CPU won't necessarily be all that much more powerful. If it were, it would probably be more of a PS5 than a PS4K. Which was what i was getting at. Anyhow, unless Sony wants to fuck over their current userbase, they will need to keep PS4 games (downports) flowing, which is basically enough for NX to get into the game. And PS4K just lengthened the period for it to stay relevant, how i look at it.

People are drastically overstating how meaningful the PS4K will be. It's like the 2nd coming of Jesus for some lol.

Malus

I've seen this argument made before and it doesn't seem based on anything. Sega still published diverse games long after after the hardware business such as Binary Domain, Valkyrie Chronicles, Bayonetta, etc. Nintendo like any other publisher will fund games that will return a profit.

They didn't fund Bayonetta 2 :)

I don't know if it's true or not, but I'd rather not have to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom