• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Compared to WiiU, if you liked mario kart or other games this new system should be a wet dream.

The wet dream is Nintendo releasing games for the PC. In lieu of that though, escaping the WiiU ghetto is certainly nice. Hopefully it's priced well, but as you mentioned earlier it wouldn't be shocking if it were overpriced.

I don't know if I'm happy or sad with what I'm hearing :(.

On one hand I'm planning to go PC-Nintendo in the future so great looking nintendo games has me excited. It would have made the old nintendo fanboy in me happy to see them release something beefier after two generations of tepid releases.

BuggyMike

Compared to WiiU, if you liked mario kart or other games this new system should be a wet dream.

You expanded a bit on the CPU but could you give us an idea of where the RAM is at? Is it right where the PS4 is or is it slightly better or worse?

They didn't fund Bayonetta 2 :)

I don't know if it's true or not, but I'd rather not have to find out.

And Nintendo may not fund Bayonetta 3. And I don't believe their decision to do so or not will hinge on whether they continue to produce hardware.

Who

Banned
No backwards compatibility is not a problem for me assuming the NX is what I believe it to be: an all encompassing OS that guarantees you can keep your digital purchases forever, foward-compatible with all future Nintendo devices.

LCGeek

formerly sane
You expanded a bit on the CPU but could you give us an idea of where the RAM is at? Is it right where the PS4 is or is it slightly better or worse?

No clue about ram or gpu, did I even mention ram?

The wet dream is Nintendo releasing games for the PC. In lieu of that though, escaping the WiiU ghetto is certainly nice. Hopefully it's priced well, but as you mentioned earlier it wouldn't be shocking if it were overpriced.

A wet dream is real fantasies aren't. I'd love that two and think sony/nintendo should make late released pc games not to eat in to their markets it's money money money.

Pinky

Banned
amd 8350 stock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U. All 3 of big 3 manufacturers got this issue wrong, yet I know next gen 2 of them won't cause they tend to do a decent job. Nintendo isn't impressing anyone.

Compared to WiiU, if you liked mario kart or other games this new system should be a wet dream with what nintendo can do. For other powerhouses who use a lot more, they do stuff but nothing like what high end pc stuff is starting to do now. It wlll be a very good port machine and step up for nintendo or nintendo only developers like Shin'en

hi5paagkpp7t5pncvxnw.png

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
3. The power should be there. There is no cost argument to them not having anything respectable when it comes to ram, cpu or gpu power. It is almost 3 years out from launch of X1/PS4.and the power gap between them and even mid range pc can't be anymore clear, especially with certain DX12 game showing the API and ones like it are the future in heavy intense scenes or adding more complexity.

WiiU launched 9 years after PS360 and was in some important aspect it was weaker hardware relative to it's CPU. So I don't have any confidence that the NX will be a powerhouse. Quite the opposite.

The Boat

Why was anyone expecting NX to be high end hardware? And why would it kill their chances with 3rd parties if it's in PS4 ballpark? PS4K changes very little or nothing unless we're going to see lots of 4K exclusives? This all just smells of the usual obsession over power and mistaking personal wishes for market realities.

If they're going for a low price point or some gimmick that raises the price, it's perfectly reasonable for the NX not to be a huge leap over PS4 and let's face it, games aren't really made with the highest specs available in mind.

I've stated before and since any specs were revealed this gen most would have shitty cpus this turned out to be true, so to be fair my own perspective is skewed.

amd 8350 stock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U. All 3 of big 3 manufacturers got this issue wrong, yet I know next gen 2 of them won't cause they tend to do a decent job. Nintendo isn't impressing anyone.
So it's better than X1 and PS4? That doesn't sound like a problem. If upgraded hardware like Xbox 1.1 and PS4.5 do come out and the market accepts it then Nintendo could release one when needed.

Mory Dunz

Not when Sony announces PS4K all that momentum down the drain.

To be honest, in what world was NX going to compete with PS4K or Xbox 1.5 powerwise?

Nintendo is not going to skip a generation. I just can't see it. My worry was that it'd be weaker than the Xbox 1.

There probably won't be any momentum to wash down the drain lol.

BuggyMike

A wet dream is real fantasies aren't. I'd love that two and think sony/nintendo should make late released pc games not to eat in to their markets it's money money money.

My fault I guess you didn't, I thought you did in the original post.

Who do "leakers" always use such shocking spelling and grammar? And no I'm not talking about cboat tactics (purposely misspelling words in order to help cover tracks), I'm on about flat out poor english. Is it some sort of requisite to leaking? You'd have thought people in such positions would be well educated.

Asd202

To be honest, in what world was NX going to compete with PS4K or Xbox 1.5 powerwise?

Nintendo is not going to skip a generation. I just can't see it. My worry was that it'd be weaker than the Xbox 1.

Guess it's totally dependable as to how Nintendo wanted to market the console to new audiences because the "most powerful console" will most likely not be true. I just thought that could have been the idea behind the marketing before we heard of PS4K and new Xbox.

Instro

I believe he's talking about this:

Shitty cpu is all I'm telling since that's all I tend to get the skinny on. The rest was typical hearsay that's been rolling around. I think nintendo could do better on ram and cpu the system would be golden. When it comes to the hardware I'm vouching for it.

Kuni

Well being x86 and being able to handle current games are two good moves if true. Ninty needs a decent level of third party.

ozfunghi

WiiU launched 9 years after PS360 and was in some important aspect it was weaker hardware relative to it's CPU. So I don't have any confidence that the NX will be a powerhouse. Quite the opposite.

Indeed. I don't see how LCGeek seems to think most of us are expecting i7's. Like you said. WiiU's CPU was not better than 360's and it released 7 or so years later. If NX releases 3 years later than XBO/PS4 and is in fact more powerful, that means Nintendo just jumped 1.5 generations by their standards... even if that is still not enough for what 3rd parties want, it's a lot more than what most of us were fearing.

Mory Dunz

Guess it's totally dependable as to how Nintendo wanted to market the console to new audiences because the "most powerful console" will most likely not be true.

Wat they're gonna market it this time? Whoa, new leak?

lol i'll stop taking shots at Nintendo. I'll probably be day one for NX... >_>

Banned
Noticeable but there'a huge gap between between where NX/PS4 is and midrange pcs it's clear as day with multiplatform benchmarks in some games at 1080p, it's noticeable in GTA5 which is a last gen product. I'm literally saying it after that controller thread people wanting or thinking that we're getting some mega good cpu might want to tone it down.

I mention the SDK because by no means whether it's rumor or my source am I hearing this amazing shit this thread is implying either. If it's amazing then let one company pull off what factor 5 did with the GC games in terms of high tech being done in a few months. Otherwise for all intents and purposes it's hogwash. I don't care if you can port low end indie game, that's something the X1 can do. Let see this system handle something like witcher 3, which could utterly prove my point hypothetically.
Ok, now you're coming off as some whining brat who wants Nintendo to release a midrange PC in a console form factor, which is impractical unless you want $599 US DOLLARS to make its return?

If it surpasses PS4 by a noticeable amount that should be enough for 3-4 years, it's not like the NX is going to be locked in for the next decade like PS3 and Xbox 360 were.

If the difference is enough to get games that struggle to stay at or above 30fps to maintain a constant 30 fps (like fallout, Witcher 3, dragon age, etc) then that should be great.

If Sony and Microsoft were releasing the Xbox 4 and PS5 next year than I could understand your argument about Nintendo not future proofing enough. But that's not happening and the XB1.5 and PS4k are not going to be huge leaps that surpass the NX to the point it won't be able to run ports of those games, because the vanilla PS4 and XB1 are still going to get playable versions of those games too.

And, let's not forget that CPUs, while important to gaming, are hardly used to their fullest potential (look at the difference between i5's and i7's in benchmarks) devs aren't making the most use out of multiple threads and cores yet. It's the GPGPU and RAM amount that are gonna be the grunt, so if those are much more (let's say gpu 1.5x-2x more powerful, and useable ram in NX is full 8GB instead of the 5.5 of the PS4) then the CPU being only noticeably more powerful isn't bad.

Kouriozan

Compared to WiiU, if you liked mario kart or other games this new system should be a wet dream with what nintendo can do. For other powerhouses who use a lot more, they do stuff but nothing like what high end pc stuff is starting to do now. It wlll be a very good port machine and step up for nintendo or nintendo only developers like Shin'en

Hoping for Zelda U delay to take advantage of NX hardware now when it inevitably get ported on it.
Also, thanks for the infos.

maxcriden

Disk drive confirmed, then.

This is a boring list. Where's the gimmick?

How does this confirm a disc drive?

I don't think this list precludes the existence of a gimmick, BTW. If it doesn't have one you can officially knock me over with a feather.

Asd202

Vouching for the hardware but they're not doing what devs want? I don't understand?

Well if at the same time Sony and MS are already releasing more powerful iterations of their console making devs happy while at the same time being in the similar price points compared to NX I can see why some devs would be unhappy about NX specs or it could be about the tools.

Instro

Indeed. I don't see how LCGeek seems to think most of us are expecting i7's. Like you said. WiiU's CPU was not better than 360's and it released 7 or so years later. If NX releases 3 years later than XBO/PS4 and is in fact more powerful, that means Nintendo just jumped 1.5 generations by their standards... even if that is still not enough for what 3rd parties want, it's a lot more than what most of us were fearing.

Well people have been throwing around the "industry leading chips" or whatever that quote was from a few months ago, and some other early nonsense rumors about how powerful the CPU is/was.

Being slightly more powerful than PS4 isn't enough. I was of the opinion that this thing would end up being weaker, but if they're shooting for parity, they need to go beyond that.

Either cheap out on the specs and sell it for pennies, or go hard. I feel as though they actually stand more chance with 3rd parties if they go the extra mile with the specs. More so than being 'noticeably' more powerful than the PS4.

I'm conflicted, honestly. Because my feelings as Nintendo fan, which are that I'd be happy with a PS4 spec machine that plays my Nintendo games at 1080p/60fps is enough. But that's just for me, and other Nintendo fans. Realistically, what Nintendo fans want and what Nintendo needs to do to stay relevant in the market don't exactly match up.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I believe he's talking about this:

Based on certain stats related to the cpu I assumed the system had typical a similar amount of ram to the X1/PS4. I do not know the type but it's not like the amount can be less than 6GB and not one source has it said was a boost. Nintendo has changed speeds and amount on their archtecitures too much so until they announce I won't vouch.

I want at least 12GB engines need more and the OS having breathing room is always good.

Sorry if some feel I think most in the thread were talking I was talking about the notion in various NX threads about the power of it, it's added up and wanted to bat it down in here. Indeed sorry I don't generalize often and for good reason. Unless you're one of the hype types take no offense.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Yep. That's quite a leap from that company.

Nintendo have said for a long time now that they are simply not interested in competing on a hardware level.

Either cheap out on the specs and sell it for pennies, or go hard. I feel as though they actually stand more chance with 3rd parties if they go the extra mile with the specs.

No. No they wouldn't.

10k said:
Because that tried generic console would have Nintendo exclusives on it which means I wouldn't need to spend $400+ CAD to buy a PS4 or XB1 to get third party games or build a PC.

Yes you still would. You're living in a dream land that won't happen.

10k said:
I envy them.

You should probably build a PC

Banned
Why do you want a third generic midrange $300-400 PC-like console?? Seriously, what's the point, who wants that, isn't this generation boring enough as it is?? We already have XB1 and PS4 pretending to be PCs decently enough, just do the obvious thing and buy a real PC if you're still not satisfied, imo there is zero reason to launch another console of that sort this generation, even if it has a Nintendo logo on it. It's nice if it's powerful of course but most of all I just want something NEW!
Because that tried generic console would have Nintendo exclusives on it which means I wouldn't need to spend $400+ CAD to buy a PS4 or XB1 to get third party games or build a PC. Everything I want will be on one box, like how PS and XBox gamers exclusive gamers have it. I envy them. Hasn't been that way since the SNES, when I was but a child. The GameCube came the closest for me, it was just missing some jrpgs and MGS.

Vena

Being slightly more powerful than PS4 isn't enough. I was of the opinion that this thing would end up being weaker, but if they're shooting for parity, they need to go beyond that.

He says noticeably more powerful. But weaker than a midrange PC.

All of this sounds feasible if not essential for it to compete and be viable for years to come.

Just not sure what second screen support really means. Sounds like more of a controller or supplemental piece of hardware rather than a handheld.

diaspora

Well if at the same time Sony and MS are already releasing more powerful iterations of their console making devs happy while at the same time being in the similar price points compared to NX I can see why some devs would be unhappy about NX specs or it could be about the tools.

But... they'd still have to make the games work on systems weaker than the NX, the PS4 and XB1 unless they plan to abandon 60m+ owners of 2.5 year old systems.

ozfunghi

Either cheap out on the specs and sell it for pennies, or go hard. I feel as though they actually stand more chance with 3rd parties if they go the extra mile with the specs. More so than being 'noticeably' more powerful than the PS4.

I'm conflicted, honestly. Because my feelings as Nintendo fan, which are that I'd be happy with a PS4 spec machine that plays my Nintendo games at 1080p/60fps is enough. But that's just for me, and other Nintendo fans. Realistically, what Nintendo fans want and what Nintendo needs to do to stay relevant in the market don't exactly match up.

This is ONLY about the CPU though. He doesn't know about RAM or GPU. Chances are the PS4K CPU won't be more powerful, so as far as CPU goes, this might not be a problem at all. I doubt Sony is going to release a PS5 right after the PS4K.

XenodudeX

Says who?

Instro

Based on certain stats related to the cpu I assumed the system had typical a similar amount of ram to the X1/PS4. I do not know the type but it's not like the amount can be less than 6GB and not one source has it said was a boost. Nintendo has changed speeds and amount on their archtecitures too much so until they announce I won't vouch.

I want at least 12GB engines need more and the OS having breathing room is always good.

Fair points, certainly agree on upping the RAM. Will be interesting to see what type they end up using...hopefully not just DDR3.

X86?!?!?

That's a big deal. I guess if Nintendo is going to join the unified architecture club, this is the time to do it. Intel's fab lead is still legit.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them roll with ARM for whatever comes next, though.

Vena

Noticeable but there'a huge gap between between where NX/PS4 is and midrange pcs it's clear as day with multiplatform benchmarks in some games at 1080p, it's noticeable in GTA5 which is a last gen product. I'm literally saying it after that controller thread people wanting or thinking that we're getting some mega good cpu might want to tone it down.

I mention the SDK because by no means whether it's rumor or my source am I hearing this amazing shit this thread is implying either. If it's amazing then let one company pull off what factor 5 did with the GC games in terms of high tech being done in a few months. Otherwise for all intents and purposes it's hogwash. I don't care if you can port low end indie game, that's something the X1 can do. Let see this system handle something like witcher 3, which could utterly prove my point hypothetically.

This is actually a huge scoop and jump over what any of us were expecting. If its noticeably faster than the PS4, that's a major and unexpected result even if its weaker than midrange PCs. The PS4K is going to be weaker than a midrange PC, so I have no clue why we'd expect the NX to be better or comparable to one.

The general ballpark on CPU had already been getting pegged low. The question now is where the GPU and RAM end up. This seems to line up with the IndieGamerGirl rumor but it does not seem to align with this or the other reddit rumor. SDKs and dev kits are clearly out if these numbers exist.

Übermatik;200147460 said:
Who do "leakers" always use such shocking spelling and grammar? And no I'm not talking about cboat tactics (purposely misspelling words in order to help cover tracks), I'm on about flat out poor english. Is it some sort of requisite to leaking? You'd have thought people in such positions would be well educated.

They mostly work for Ubisoft

maxcriden

For real. Agreed on all counts. Honestly, Nintendo hasn't offered a combination of most powerful console + third parties in droves in many, many years. I'd be shocked if that was a worthwhile venture for Nintendo to pursue simply because I don't know how readily they'd succeed at it.

Let's say Nintendo made NX more powerful than a PS4K and it has all the third parties and costs zillion bucks. They still have the kiddy image and stereotype. Even if they get all the big third parties, the majority of core gamers are too deep into the PS/X ecosystem now, as are their friends, to eagerly get out. And FWIW I think we're at the point where NX could be 2x as powerful as a PS4K and the layperson would barely be able to tell the difference from a PS4. Just my two cents. ☺

I should conclude something here. I guess I think Nintendo needs to offer decent parity with current gen consoles to get its core interested base and an expanded population beyond that, an opportunity to play some third party games. An eye-catching gimmick that transforms the way we play--again--would be great in licking up a larger audience. A lower price could get lapsed Nintendo fans and younger gamers on board, as well as those moderately interested in Nintendo games who have a primary other console. That's the recipe, from where I sit, to at least substantially more success than the Wii U had. Oh, and a better name, despite my love for the Wii U as a system, is crucial also.

BuggyMike

I still think they should try to have something more powerful than whatever the PS4K is, the system being slightly more powerful than the PS4/XB1 will create good word of mouth but that could be completely deflated if Sony can brag about having the most powerful console on the market once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom