• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Lump

Banned
Übermatik;200147460 said:
Who do "leakers" always use such shocking spelling and grammar? And no I'm not talking about cboat tactics (purposely misspelling words in order to help cover tracks), I'm on about flat out poor english. Is it some sort of requisite to leaking? You'd have thought people in such positions would be well educated.

....not every studio is based in UK/US?

Nanashrew

Banned
Indeed. I don't see how LCGeek seems to think most of us are expecting i7's. Like you said. WiiU's CPU was not better than 360's and it released 7 or so years later. If NX releases 3 years later than XBO/PS4 and is in fact more powerful, that means Nintendo just jumped 1.5 generations by their standards... even if that is still not enough for what 3rd parties want, it's a lot more than what most of us were fearing.

Yeah, and it's odd too. No game company will use i7's or the ones made for for home computers. It's all mobile chips in consoles and handhelds. Even the PS4 and Xbox One are using mobile jaguar CPUs and they were outdated the moment they came on the scene especially compared to the current mobile ARM CPU which is more efficient.

He says noticeably more powerful. But weaker than a midrange PC.

Aye, and I don't feel that weaker than a midrange PC is good enough.

This is ONLY about the CPU though. He doesn't know about RAM or GPU. Chances are the PS4K CPU won't be more powerful, so as far as CPU goes, this might not be a problem at all. I doubt Sony is going to release a PS5 right after the PS4K.

But CPU is the the primary bottleneck of the current crop of consoles. I feel Nintendo's only shot at receiving a shred of decent western third party support is to succeed where the other two failed (specs wise). That'd be the CPU. This isn't very promising.

Says who?

Me. Tell me then, why would it be enough? Outside of satisfying us Nintendo fans who want to play Zelda at 1080p60fps?

Ad0ve

Banned
I still think they should try to have something more powerful than whatever the PS4K is, the system being slightly more powerful than the PS4/XB1 will create good word of mouth but that could be completely deflated if Sony can brag about having the most powerful console on the market once again.
No one is going to buy 599$ Nintendo console

Vena

Aye, and I don't feel that weaker than a midrange PC is good enough.

So... none of the current gen consoles or their mid-gen refreshes are "good enough"?

But CPU is the the primary bottleneck of the current crop of consoles. I feel Nintendo's only shot at receiving a shred of decent western third party support is to succeed where the other two failed (specs wise). That'd be the CPU. This isn't very promising.

Clockspeeds are already clearly considerably larger than the X1 and moreso over the PS4, the next question which we cannot parse at the moment is their efficiency on cycle. The NX may not be on the cat family, giving it potentially considerably larger performance gains.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Ok, now you're coming off as some whining brat who wants Nintendo to release a midrange PC in a console form factor, which is impractical unless you want $599 US DOLLARS to make its return?

If it surpasses PS4 by a noticeable amount that should be enough for 3-4 years, it's not like the NX is going to be locked in for the next decade like PS3 and Xbox 360 were.

If the difference is enough to get games that struggle to stay at or above 30fps to maintain a constant 30 fps (like fallout, Witcher 3, dragon age, etc) then that should be great.

If Sony and Microsoft were releasing the Xbox 4 and PS5 next year than I could understand your argument about Nintendo not future proofing enough. But that's not happening and the XB1.5 and PS4k are not going to be huge leaps that surpass the NX to the point it won't be able to run ports of those games, because the vanilla PS4 and XB1 are still going to get playable versions of those games too.

And, let's not forget that CPUs, while important to gaming, are hardly used to their fullest potential (look at the difference between i5's and i7's in benchmarks) devs aren't making the most use out of multiple threads and cores yet. It's the GPGPU and RAM amount that are gonna be the grunt, so if those are much more (let's say gpu 1.5x-2x more powerful, and useable ram in NX is full 8GB instead of the 5.5 of the PS4) then the CPU being only noticeably more powerful isn't bad.

Not at all I'm saying the cpu is shit and they could up it, there will be no discussion of this in a few months. How much they up it is another matter . Again the point of the post it's not as great as people are claiming it might be in no measure and it's just barely above X1 cpu while still having a huge gap. I have a point it's 2 years after these systems intel/amd really shits on them and nintendo wants to do a meager upgraded at inflated console price. I have every right to fucking call them on this.

I'm speaking for experience. If a PS4k is barely going to produce better results and I think the CPU in that is going to be better based on rumors nintendo is slacking. If good mid range cpus that can be had cheap and be stuck in to NX still shit on the NX cpu nintendo fucked up nonetheless especially since a good I3 can crush either of the cpus we are talking about.

Again matter of perspective for some they will be happy for others who want more including devs this isn't changing nintendo position all that much.

Sheroking

WiiU launched 9 years after PS360 and was in some important aspect it was weaker hardware relative to it's CPU. So I don't have any confidence that the NX will be a powerhouse. Quite the opposite.

Wii U launched 7 years after the Xbox 360 and 6 years after the PS3. Not 9 years.

It certainly was not built with an intention to be a power-house or eclipse any rival software. The hope is that with NX, Nintendo understands that an initial PR win in this category is important.

A major factor here is that Xbox and PS4 do not have next-gen hardware in the short-term - just roided out revisions that are meant to improve performance. Portability and comparability are major - Wii U had it for only a brief moment.

diaspora

Not at all I'm saying the cpu is shit and they could up it, there will be no discussion of this in a few months. How much they up it is another matter . Again the point of the post it's not as great as people are claiming it might be in no measure and it's just barely above X1 cpu while still having a huge gap. I have a point it's 2 years after these systems intel/amd really shits on them and nintendo wants to do a meager upgraded at inflated console price. I have every right to fucking call them on this.

You're telling people it's as good or better than what people are expecting. People were mostly expecting parity- if not weaker.

Vena

I'm speaking for experience. If a PS4k is barely going to produce better results and I think the CPU in that is going to be better based on rumors nintendo is slacking. If good mid range cpus that can be had cheap and be stuck in to NX still shit on the NX cpu nintendo fucked up nonetheless especially since a good I3 can crush either of the cpus we are talking about.

Again matter of perspective for some they will be happy for others who want more including devs this isn't changing nintendo position all that much.

Do you know if the NX is a cat family CPU?

Also I think most people were expecting parity or worse, you're actually delivering good news.

BuggyMike

No one is going to buy 599$ Nintendo console

Bruh how beastly do you think the PS4K is going to be? I guess I'm not expecting a huge jump from PS4 to PS4K which is why I think NX could possibly top it, my reasoning is that things could get too messy if there's too much of a jump and I'm sure Sony knows that. I could be wrong though, but you're speaking as if PS4K is gonna be some monster and I'm not expecting that much of a jump personally.

EDIT: And my ass would be there day one for a 599$ console from Nintendo if it delivered some crazy specs :)

thefro

I'm actually pretty positive if that's true.

Nobody honestly was expecting something a half-gen up from PS4/XB1. That would make no logical sense since Nintendo isn't going to be pushing the system hard and 3rd parties aren't going to make exclusives on the NX to push it without Nintendo moneyhats. It'd also be too expensive.

Many people were predicting something worse than XB1, so the CPU being >> than PS4 & XB1 is a good outcome and points to something that can get ports from the other systems.

diaspora

Bruh how beastly do you think the PS4K is going to be? I guess I'm not expecting a huge jump from PS4 to PS4K which is why I think NX could possibly top it, my reasoning is that things could get too messy if there's too much of a jump and I'm sure Sony knows that. I could be wrong though, but you're speaking as if PS4K is gonna be some monster and I'm not expecting that much of a jump personally.

Uh, by the rumoured specs, not at all.

tesla246

Honestly, the xone and PS4 having mildly disappointing cpu power makes it possible to stay competitive with their NX platform. If what you say is true, and NX cpu power is indeed slightly above xone, what mobile cpu tech may apply? Maybe one of the pro's (Fourth Storm, blu, thraktor etc.) can chime in again, although they have discussed it previously.

If "industry-leading" chips ( which was a rumour) refers to the mobile cpu tech, and Nintendo has indeed the same cpu tech in their handheld and console, they have an advantage. In turn, Nintendo might probably come back on their statement of not having a shared library; I fully expect them to. It is the way forward, if Nintendo still wants to design it's own hardware in the future, aside from their mobile division.

If I were Nintendo I would launch the handheld first, somewhere in 2017. Why? Because of the following;
-Easy porting of their mobile offerings (why not?!?) on NX handheld as well.
-Easier to attract (Japanese) third parties as they have proven in the past.
-Lower risk and cheaper software to develop (handheld titles like advance wars, monster hunter, Pokemon, etc. Basically huge names/system sellers).
-Their handhelds have historically outsold their consoles, thus creating a safer ecosystem (online platform, e-shop content, username, branding etc.).
- NX console launches subsequently in 2018 ; with the existing library it already has the software/userbase in place, but with the added resolution, those games become somewhat more enticing to play. Also, it might launch with a few heavy hitters, which where previously only on consoles; like Pikmin 4, zelda and Metroid. By launching these expensive ( which take longer and are more expensive to develop)games with a console in an already established ecosystem (because NX handheld will play them in lower resolution and is already 1+ year on the market 21) of say 10 million users, you greatly reduce the risk of a struggling console with expensive games.
- Avoiding psvr buzz launch, while expecting Sony/ms to "really" upgrade sometime in 2021.
- Setting up account system, infrastructure etc. takes time, NX console needs to launch in perfect conditions in order to avoid "bad press" and handheld usually can get away for a time without stuff not yet being finished.

Yes, I am of the believe NX will not launch in 2016, but sometime in 2017, maybe late summer/ July. Then NX halfway 2018 or maybe October 2017.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Backwards compatibility?

Remember this is Nintendo we are talking about. They might allow you to rebuy those games via the eshop. No way are they going to allow you just to put your normal WiiU disks into the NX and play them for free.

Compared to WiiU, if you liked mario kart or other games this new system should be a wet dream with what nintendo can do. For other powerhouses who use a lot more, they do stuff but nothing like what high end pc stuff is starting to do now. It wlll be a very good port machine and step up for nintendo or nintendo only developers like Shin'en

I'm loving this. XD

You first come and for the most part say "doom and gloom" (figure of speech :p) and I highly understand the criticisms, and from how most would read your first post would be that the system is Wii U 2.0 and just a "failure".

Then your clarifications, shockingly, paint things in a GOOD light. Most are just dandy with a PS4+ basically. And as you say here, this would be INCREDIBLE for Nintendo and their main supporters. I mean in my opinion games focusing on colorful and cartoony visuals don't need utter photo-realism-powered hardware. I mean Wind Waker on GC has aged gorgeously, and again I'm not talking about the Wii U version.

Not to mention a lot of Japanese devs to me still barely push more than PS3 (well, kinda doesn't help they still make PS3 games lol), and I'm not sure they'll be in a huge rush to push the boundaries of PS4/PS4K. SE, sure, but I mean a large chunk of them, like Namco Bandai, Gust, Nippon Ichi, maybe Tecmo Koei, Sega, etc.

Hell, the thought of a NX-exclusive Sonic game on that supposed "PS4+" NX hardware... *drools*

So... thanks! XD :)

So... none of the current gen consoles or their mid-gen refreshes are "good enough"?

Not really, no. But they're already established systems. They're struggling already with certain games, but they released three years ago.

Nintendo isn't going to be winning third parties over with the same bottleneck the other competitors rocked up with. Even if it does provide 'noticeable' increased performance over PS4.

The_Lump

Banned

(my bold) I'm not doubting what ur saying, but you can't really make this assumption yet, can you?

ozfunghi

I guess it comes down to expectations. A CPU more powerful than PS4 means they will stay relevant for at least the next 3 to 4 years after release, since the PS4K just kept the PS4 relevant for the next 3 to 4 years (unless Sony will treat the PS4K as a PS5).

Sheroking

Remember this is Nintendo we are talking about. They might allow you to rebuy those games via the eshop. No way are they going to allow you just to put your normal WiiU disks into the NX and play them for free.

"This is Nintendo we're talking about" - yeah, the only company that has actually allowed you to universally play last-gen software on it's next gen system in the last two generations.

Vena

Not really, no. But they're already established systems. They're struggling already with certain games, but they released three years ago.

Nintendo isn't going to be winning third parties over with the same bottleneck the other competitors rocked up with. Even if it does provide 'noticeable' increased performance over PS4.

Well bottleneck similarities or not, we'd need to know more on the CPU aside from some potential benchmark results. If this thing isn't a cat family crapper, you may see some major efficiency gains over similar point for point clock cycles. Moreover, without knowing the instruction set it'd be hard to actually gauge the things true performance from a benchmark aside from relative estimates.

Also, again, this set of rumors or info from Geek completely contradicts the reddit rumors. Hardware for this thing is clearly out there.

diaspora

I don't think it makes much sense to reference the Wii U for the potential NX price- not when the cost of the gamepad whose wireless latency was ridiculously good inflated the price by what? 50% or something?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
After Wii and Wii U the expectation should be PS4-level at best for NX.

It's like you people prefer being massively disappointed to being pleasantly surprised.

As everyone on this board knows. I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy and always believe they will finally deliver the powerhouse we all deserve.

It's happening.gif

Nanashrew

Banned
I guess it comes down to expectations. A CPU more powerful than PS4 means they will stay relevant for at least the next 3 to 4 years after release, since the PS4K just kept the PS4 relevant for the next 3 to 4 years (unless Sony will treat the PS4K as a PS5).

I can see that. And in 3 years time, the current CPUs coming out now should be cheaper then too.

Console evolution and iteration is how this market is going to stay relevant and sell more hardware so they can make more software.

If NX has better CPU than the current gen (also overall), also saying it's the wet dream for Nintendo fans... it's just what we wanted; in fact it would be better than we ever expected.

Why compare PCs and consoles? PCs are in constant development, the guy who buys a PC with all the latest expensive component will be outdated at the same speed as everyone else's PCs...
Consoles are meant to be fixed and because of that it allows people to understand it better to optimize as much as possible as time goes... and honestly if console gamers aren't fine with that, why are you playing on consoles then?

muu

For real. Agreed on all counts. Honestly, Nintendo hasn't offered a combination of most powerful console + third parties in droves in many, many years. I'd be shocked if that was a worthwhile venture for Nintendo to pursue simply because I don't know how readily they'd succeed at it.

Let's say Nintendo made NX more powerful than a PS4K and it has all the third parties and costs zillion bucks. They still have the kiddy image and stereotype. Even if they get all the big third parties, the majority of core gamers are too deep into the PS/X ecosystem now, as are their friends, to eagerly get out. And FWIW I think we're at the point where NX could be 2x as powerful as a PS4K and the layperson would barely be able to tell the difference from a PS4. Just my two cents. ☺

I should conclude something here. I guess I think Nintendo needs to offer decent parity with current gen consoles to get its core interested base and an expanded population beyond that, an opportunity to play some third party games. An eye-catching gimmick that transforms the way we play--again--would be great in licking up a larger audience. A lower price could get lapsed Nintendo fans and younger gamers on board, as well as those moderately interested in Nintendo games who have a primary other console. That's the recipe, from where I sit, to at least substantially more success than the Wii U had. Oh, and a better name, despite my love for the Wii U as a system, is crucial also.

With the Wii and WiiU I believe third party devs have proven they're unwilling to risk developing on "gimmick" ideas. Wii's initial motion control was certainly weak, but the dearth of compelling content by third parties compared to ridiculous hardware sales was telling.

phanphare

Banned

wat? remember this is Nintendo we are talking about. the company that allowed you to put your GCN discs into your Wii and play them for free. the company that allowed you to put your Wii discs into your Wii U and play them for free. the company that allowed you to put your Game Boy cartridges into your...you get the picture

Anarky

Banned
Because that tried generic console would have Nintendo exclusives on it which means I wouldn't need to spend $400+ CAD to buy a PS4 or XB1 to get third party games or build a PC. Everything I want will be on one box, like how PS and XBox gamers exclusive gamers have it. I envy them. Hasn't been that way since the SNES, when I was but a child. The GameCube came the closest for me, it was just missing some jrpgs and MGS.

latest

Eh? What's that based on? I'm fairly certain they've made more BC compatible consoles than not.

Not BC:

1. Snes
  2. N64
  3. GameCube

BC:
  1. GameBoy Colour
  2. GameBoy Advance
  3. Nintendo DS
  4. Nintendo 3DS
  5. Wii
  6. Wii U

Unless I'm missing something...

Davey Cakes

We haven't seen a Nintendo console with PS4-level power. It'll be glorious.

Wii U showed what Nintendo alone can do with HD, and they were new at it and experiencing growing pains.

If NX is on PS4's level, is "easy to develop for" and allows easy porting, and includes some other unique Nintendo gimmick that's actually marketable, then it'll be as much as anyone can ask for from Nintendo.

People need to lay off the hype a bit and keep their expectations reasonable.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm loving this. XD

You first come and for the most part say "doom and gloom" (figure of speech :p) and I highly understand the criticisms, and from how most would read your first post would be that the system is Wii U 2.0 and just a "failure".

Then your clarifications, shockingly, paint things in a GOOD light. Most are just dandy with a PS4+ basically. And as you say here, this would be INCREDIBLE for Nintendo and their main supporters. I mean in my opinion games focusing on colorful and cartoony visuals don't need utter photo-realism-powered hardware. I mean Wind Waker on GC has aged gorgeously, and again I'm not talking about the Wii U version.

Not to mention a lot of Japanese devs to me still barely push more than PS3 (well, kinda doesn't help they still make PS3 games lol), and I'm not sure they'll be in a huge rush to push the boundaries of PS4/PS4K. SE, sure, but I mean a large chunk of them, like Namco Bandai, Gust, Nippon Ichi, maybe Tecmo Koei, Sega, etc.

Hell, the thought of a NX-exclusive Sonic game on that supposed "PS4+" NX hardware... *drools*

So... thanks! XD :)

They were overall critcisms which they still are. Whatever NX is I can safely say it's not WiiU, thank fucking god. My main point they could easily turn things up a notch or two and still keep profit and plenty of bank. SDK is no joke and while certain good things are good to here it's not an amazing jump which is what the thread or this rumor has been irking me since i've seen it for a few days. Great for nintendo and nintendo supporters, yet in the larger industry scope it going to bring in a massive influx of powerhouse developers unlikely unless SDK has some god technology and they get a respectable 400$ machine.

I'm the last person to go after for realism graphics the two biggest games I play right now are league of legends and hell divers with a few friends.

ozfunghi

I still think they should try to have something more powerful than whatever the PS4K is, the system being slightly more powerful than the PS4/XB1 will create good word of mouth but that could be completely deflated if Sony can brag about having the most powerful console on the market once again.

I think if it turns out to be somewhere between the PS4 and PS4K, they'll be fine, as i don't see Sony releasing a PS5 within 2 years of the PS4K.

Übermatik;200147460 said:
Who do "leakers" always use such shocking spelling and grammar? And no I'm not talking about cboat tactics (purposely misspelling words in order to help cover tracks), I'm on about flat out poor english. Is it some sort of requisite to leaking? You'd have thought people in such positions would be well educated.

As a perspective from the other side of leaks, nearly every leak from every studio I've worked at has come from our overseas partners/offices. There were like ... 2 in 8 years that came from our in-house employees (one dev, one QA). And the other like 40+, including every major leak, came from non-English speaking partners.

No exactly sure why that is, but I assume it is probably due to a higher fear of legal action being taken against you (in the US/UK) than in other countries that have more lax litigation laws and the lower chance of a US company seeking legal action against a foreign individual than a domestic one.

cyberheater

wat? remember this is Nintendo we are talking about. the company that allowed you to put your GCN discs into your Wii and play them for free. the company that allowed you to put your Wii discs into your Wii U and play them for free. the company that allowed you to put your Game Boy cartridges into your...you get the picture

You have a point. I take it back.

Sheroking

The idea that NX needs to avoid PS4/XB1 bottlenecks or exceed those consoles in some way to gain western support seems absurd to me.

Limiting the difficulty and expense of ports seems far more imporant. No publisher is going to choose to lead with NX on their 8-9 figure third party game - what they may do is cheaply port the game over to help expand their market base.

Being better than their competition at this point may mean little software actually utilizing it's power for a significantly higher BOM.

Vena

They were overall critcisms which they still are. Whatever NX is I can safely say it's not WiiU, thank fucking god. My main point they could easily turn things up a notch or two and still keep profit and plenty of bank. SDK is no joke and while certain good things are good to here it's not an amazing jump which is what the thread or this rumor has been irking me since i've seen it for a few days. Great for nintendo and nintendo supporters, yet in the larger industry scope it going to bring in a massive influx of powerhouse developers unlikely unless SDK has some god technology and they get a respectable 400$ machine.

I'm the last person to go after for realism graphics the two biggest games I play right now are league of legends and hell divers with a few friends.

Now you have my attention!

tebunker

Banned
Honestly none of this conjecture and back and forth means a hill of beans if Nintendo can't get people to buy 3rd party games on their systems.

Flat out. Nothing will get ported, no cross platform nada zippo zilch until the base that buys Nintendo platforms buys 3rd party totles on thise platforms. Hell if Wiiu owners bought more of the 3 rd party games like Blackflag( an actual honest to god really well doen port of a popular title) then other games would have come.

That is the truth. Some people are okay with a Nintendo only box but eventually they will not be able to sustain business very long without a wide variety of support.

And all I remember about Nintendo wiiu owners is absolute bitching about every perceived slight or lazy developer or aby other of a litany of bullshit excuses to not buy 3rd party games. Even when WiiU got good ports like Deus Ex, NFS, SC and Black Flag. No one bought them. Not like on PS4 where most games just sell with little effort.

That's it folks. If Nintendo can't get the consumer to buy in not just Nintendo games but also 3rd party games, we're talking comparatively to Ps4 and Xb1 then this will be the Wiiu or worse.

diaspora

I do also remember Miyamoto talking about CPU power/speed becoming more of a bottleneck in recent talks.

"Wii U's definitely good enough in terms of hardware performance, it is more the workload of the team. If you look at Star Fox Zero, the TV and GamePad are both rendered in 60 frames, so in total that's 120 frames. It's really just a matter of the CPU speed at this point."

Source

The_Lump

Banned
Guys, idea: the "Supplementary" processing units from the patent will actually come next gen, as an upgrade to keep NX parity with PS5/XB2

:p

Malus

This LCGeek stuff is one step closer to vindicating the IndieGamerChick rumor.

None shall question the name IndieGamerChick again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom