• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalman

Regarding the four ports: Based on rumors, it's very clear to me two of them are Zelda and Smash. The other two, if I had to guess, could be Donkey Kong and Xenoblade. I don't think they would bother with Pikmin 3 if they have Pikmin 4 coming out. Same thinking with Mario 3D World. I also think they would rather develop brand new iterations of Mario Kart and Splatoon rather than porting them.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, guys, I spoke to Emily Rogers and she says Shikamaru Ninja's predictions are the closest so far. Zelda and Smash Bros are two of the four Wii U ports coming to NX. Shikamaru Ninja named two of the other four games.
Also, Instro's post is ������
except he got one wrong

I think it's almost certainly going to be Mario Maker. The problem with releasing a sequel is that they really covered a lot of the wanted features with the base content and the patches. There is still stuff left, but would it be enough to be seen as a sequel? I think it makes the most sense to market the game as a port where you'll already have x million courses available on Day 1 thanks to the Wii U's users. Add in some new features that couldn't justify a sequel with but will make a port enticing and voila. Super Mario Maker is already embodying the "games as a service" model, so a port makes sense to me. Now the question is whether the Wii U version continues to be supported once the NX one is out.

My other guess...I honestly don't know. XCX and DKC: TF both underperformed, so I could see both getting a port. (Interestingly, both of their predecessors also got 3DS ports) However, I also feel like Monolith Soft has probably moved on and Retro should have their next game out by the end of 2017. If I had to guess, I'd say it's DKC of those two and it's Monster Games who is porting it. I could also see Splatoon getting the port because, like SMM, it has that "game as a service" model. However, it has fewer benefits than SMM because I think it's easier to see how Splatoon would benefit from a full sequel and also benefits less from holding on to the existing game. If it's Splatoon 1.5, I could understand it (and maybe that datamined stuff will finally be officially announced).

Nanashrew

Banned
I think it's almost certainly going to be Mario Maker. The problem with releasing a sequel is that they really covered a lot of the wanted features with the base content and the patches. There is still stuff left, but would it be enough to be seen as a sequel? I think it makes the most sense to market the game as a port where you'll already have x million courses available on Day 1 thanks to the Wii U's users. Add in some new features that couldn't justify a sequel with but will make a port enticing and voila. Super Mario Maker is already embodying the "games as a service" model, so a port makes sense to me. Now the question is whether the Wii U version continues to be supported once the NX one is out.

I'd say there's certainly a lot left for a sequel!

http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_items

http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_enemies

Of course they won't go overboard with that stuff to overwhelm the players. But I can also still see more themes because they need them. Also a water block would be nice too so that we can make ponds of water in some places, and also give us a theme that allows water only on the bottom of the screen so we can have some Boss Bass trying to eat us as we're hopping from land mass to land mass.

There's still a lot of things to explore and new gimmicks to add as well, maybe specialty themes relating to other Nintendo series.

boxter432

Of the rumored ports/remakes I own them all except Splatoon. I wouldn't want to rebut them, but I would also be annoyed there is a better version out than what I own. I think I would need them to have moderate to significant upgrades to justify.
Hyrule warriors: all the DLC and characters from both current games, as well as new link(s) from the new Zelda added.
Smash: incentive is all DLC and also the user base shift for online play I guess
Xenoblade: not sure, it's not like it suffered from pop in or poor performance. NA version came with the Japanese DLC characters already.
Etc...
Definitely like the thought of smash or SMM being a pack in.

Terrell

All this talk of ports... aside from Zelda, because of the time window, everyone realizes that Nintendo doesn't even have to lean on their own development teams to make those happen, right? I just hope no one is under the misconception that we aren't getting original content because ports exist.

Apparently, the merchandising/music side of the game did really well for Avex. So they probably figured they got a bigger potential player base lined up for the sequel.

It could just as easily have emboldened Avex Group to be more present in the video game space than it has been, and are using their particular success (even if it isn't Nintendo's or Atlus' big win) as a jumping off point for hiring talent that can capitalize on this more aggressive push into the space.

I posted about this earlier today, but am still a little unclear: Why is Emily Rogers a trusted source? I thought she had been wrong multiple times regarding Nintendo rumors.

It could even be something like Tokyo Mirage Golden instead of a sequel too. Same game but with additional content.
With actual voice acting in the western release :p
I'm really not sure how it'll turn out. I'm pretty sure they said they wanted to make it into a franchise but fans of both series hated the idea and being a crossover people that weren't fans likely won't be looking into it. I'm still fairly excited to try it out

Rubixcuba

Banned
I posted about this earlier today, but am still a little unclear: Why is Emily Rogers a trusted source? I thought she had been wrong multiple times regarding Nintendo rumors.

Well Paper Mario Wii U was her rumor before which was true. Has a general strong record I believe.

I don't know about Xenoblade X. I played up til acquiring the Doll and kinda dropped it there. Could not benefit from improved draw distance etc, but the flaws in the game would need to be addressed in a re-release to get my attention. Such as the whole finding the party member each time etc.

If the rumors of Wii U ports are true, then I'm really worried about the launch lineup of the NX. I really hope it isn't full of Wii U ports and nothing else of significance, because we would just end up with the Wii U situation all over again. Plus, I'd rather not rebuy games that I already own.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So 4 Wii U titles being "up" ported to the NX?

My picks, Super Mario 3DWorlds NX, Starfox NX, Paper Mario NX and Smash Bros NX.

Yeah I'm leaning toward SMM being ported at this point. Splatoon and Pokken are likely because of the multiplayer component. Xenoblade X and DKCTF might get ports down the track, but that's a maybe.

What's happening with Lost Reavers? I know that comes out on WiiU at the end of this month, but that game is probably not going to sustain much of a user base when the WiiU's legs get cut off soon enough.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
If the rumors of Wii U ports are true, then I'm really worried about the launch lineup of the NX. I really hope it isn't full of Wii U ports and nothing else of significance, because we would just end up with the Wii U situation all over again. Plus, I'd rather not rebuy games that I already own.

If they're substantially upgraded graphics wise/content wise, I've got zero problem with
double dipping.

Somnid

MK_768

You might be talking about Liam Robertson lol.

Oh really? I thought she was the source of the Mother 3 rumor and some other one that didn't pan out. Though, I'd love for her to be right, as all this sounds great.

Well she didn't necessarily say Mother 3 was coming. She sorta beated around the bush, but then Liam and other people said it was coming. It's assumed she was first to mention it.

Also, it hasn't been confirmed or unconfirmed. I think this E3 will be the time when we can ponder whether it's fake or real.

Sandfox

Hey, guys, I spoke to Emily Rogers and she says Shikamaru Ninja's predictions are the closest so far. Zelda and Smash Bros are two of the four Wii U ports coming to NX. Shikamaru Ninja named two of the other four games.
Also, Instro's post is 👌👌👌
except he got one wrong
I'd be down for a Smash port with all the DLC.
Oh really? I thought she was the source of the Mother 3 rumor and some other one that didn't pan out. Though, I'd love for her to be right, as all this sounds great.
To be fair, she said that Mother 3 would be coming sometime this year so I wouldn't call it a miss yet.

Oddduck

Rubixcuba

Banned

I get the opposite impression. I think it demonstrates Nintendo is confident that there will be people purchasing the NX who didn't own a Wii U and will be new to the content. Porting games doesn't necessarily effect the production of new NX content. I see it as complementing the original software & 3rd party titles.

Much similar to how Sony ported Uncharted 1-3, Last of Us, Beyond + Heavy Rain.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say there's certainly a lot left for a sequel!

http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_items

http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_enemies

Of course they won't go overboard with that stuff to overwhelm the players. But I can also still see more themes because they need them. Also a water block would be nice too so that we can make ponds of water in some places, and also give us a theme that allows water only on the bottom of the screen so we can have some Boss Bass trying to eat us as we're hopping from land mass to land mass.

There's still a lot of things to explore and new gimmicks to add as well, maybe specialty themes relating to other Nintendo series.

Oh, well, yes, I certainly can't deny there are lots of individual items that could be included. There are always more themes, more items, and more enemies. However, I suppose what I'm saying is that I can't think of any substantial ways of iterating on the game. Everything that comes to mind is something that gets tucked into an existing menu. Like, I could see an NX port adding a new row of tools to build with, one or two new environments, and maybe a new game skin (Yoshi's island or Mario 2, perhaps). But all of that seems perfect for an enhanced port rather than something I'd call a sequel (kind of like a Hyrule Warriors Legends level of expansion). If something like the ability to string levels together for actual worlds or a full-fledged music creation mode were included or double the additions I mentioned above, then maybe I could see why a sequel rather than an expanded port makes sense.

In contrast, Splatoon to me could inevitably have those incremental improvements (more weapons, gear, and stages), but it could also include big changes: new multiplayer modes, much expanded local game (co-op challenges? four-player competitive?), a new single player campaign with new mechanics, etc. I guess that's why I see them differently.

If they can launch with at least 2 strong first party games, I'll be happy. Announce that they have support for Final Fantasy and other 3rd party games and I'll be even happier.

jonno394

Nothing says these are for launch anyway. I still expect at least one other "new" Nintendo title for launch, alongside Zelda and maybe one of these ports (smash)

Just as a comparison, Wii u had two Nintendo titles, wii had 3 (not including wii play)

My personal list for these 4 titles are:

Zelda
Smash
Pokken
Mario Maker (changed from HW aa I'm sure HW 2 has a chance of coming instead at some point in launch year)

Toad.T

Banned
Obviously the four ported games are:

-EuroNintendoland
-Hyper Lego City Undercover: Someone Wanted This, Statistically.
-Wario and Game
-Devil's Fourth.

If the ports are true, I hope that they're spaced out. Or at the very least, have something significantly more to them then just some AA and a higher res/fps. (The added content to WWHD/TPHD wasn't enough to justify the games, IMO.)

It's probably too much to ask, but I'd love a 1080p 60fps Zelda U. They'll probably stick to 30 like the last remasters.
Not sure what they can do with smash other than release a complete edition. It's already 1080p 60fps...Maybe new DLC characters?
I don't think they should do Mario Kart nor Splatoon. A sequel should be easy to make and wouldn't take as long as a smash release.
Bayonetta 2, XCX, and DKCTF are prime candidates for remasters, I'd think
DM 😎
Yep

NateDrake

Smash NX was heavily rumored a month or so ago. If Nintendo approaches NX with remasters of their biggest Wii U software successes, it allows for a launch window of quality Nintendo games mixed with new games and third-party support. Wii U had a botched launch window, but releases like Smash NX, Zelda NX, and such create a greater sense of value.

Smash NX was heavily rumored a month or so ago. If Nintendo approaches NX with remasters of their biggest Wii U software successes, it allows for a launch window of quality Nintendo games mixed with new games and third-party support. Wii U had a botched launch window, but releases like Smash NX, Zelda NX, and such create a greater sense of value.
Yeah. They do need new stuff, but remasters would make the first few months a bit more tolerable.
Since so few had a Wii u it'll actually be the first time a lot of people get to play these games.
Already better than most launches with the new Zelda coming out on it, thought it'll need more. I think both Zelda and Smash are rumored for this year, right?
Seems pretty packed on the Nintendo side, maybe some pack in like Nintendo land.

Instro

Also, Instro's post is ������
except he got one wrong

I'm assuming the one I got wrong was Xenoblade, SMM seems much more likely. Kind of a bummer, I would have really liked to see a remaster on XCX. I would guess the 4th game is Splatoon. Makes sense since it was a breakout hit.

jonno394

I wonder how they will do smash bros.. other than packing all the DLC characters together and throwing them on the cover what could they do?

Bring all the stages together in one package? Aren't there plenty of 3ds only stages? (I haven't played either so could be wrong).

Id envisage a couple of new characters too.

I wonder how they will do smash bros.. other than packing all the DLC characters together and throwing them on the cover what could they do?
Maybe continue the smash ballot? They have all that data and are only using it for Bayo.
I imagine they can throw in all the stages into one game as well and hopefully fix Link

Rubixcuba

Banned

Incorporate 3DS features like Smash Run. Stages etc. A new character?

If we got Smash for NX, I wouldn't be surprised if that became 'the' Smash for NX. Would could a Smash 5 do that a Smash 4 port couldn't?

NateDrake

Yeah. They do need new stuff, but remasters would make the first few months a bit more tolerable.
Since so few had a Wii u it'll actually be the first time a lot of people get to play these games.

NX will keep the Wii U software legacy alive. Wii U failed, but has some of Nintendo's best output in terms of software. Tons of people missed out on awesome games. Giving the games another chance on NX is a given. Honestly, Nintendo partnered with some great external teams to handle ports for 3DS/Wii U over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom