• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

I also seriously cannot keep up. The quality of the convo the last couple days has been excellent so I want to partake but just not enough time in the day to do so. Have I missed any new leaks or especially noteworthily excellent posts since this morning? Thanks all.

Pop out the NX screen and strap it to your head ala mobile VR or use it as a handheld/console.
I actually had a bit of a theory on this.
The iOS like set up Iwata was teasing could refer to multiple devices.
Maybe a console, a handheld, and a more tablet like device.
The tablet could be the high end mobile unit with maybe some snap on peripherals like a more ergonomic grip with extended battery life and buttons or a VR shell like the Samsung one or the Google cardboard.
Higher resolution and higher price but serves multiple functions like a secondary screen/controller for the system, a VR headset, a simple tablet, or a handheld.
Multiple devices for different markets (high end vs low end) probably makes a lot of sense though it's probably very difficult to market if you aren't apple
i think the tablet thing could be a good idea, but it's probably the most baseless speculation I've put forth

Snakeyes

They need to keep Splatoon on home console only to sell home consoles in my opinion. They desperately need to make more franchises for their home consoles because they cannot keep moving everything over to their handheld and letting their system die.

This has become a real problem for Nintendo. Luigi's Mansion was a home console game and its sequel is a handheld game. The more they do this, the more there is no point at all for them to make home systems.

I think smartphones are enough of a threat in Japan that Nintendo can't afford to keep that series exclusive to the console. They need the NX handheld to come out strong out of the gate so that it can quickly establish itself as a viable platform, and the best way to do that is with system sellers like Splatoon.

This is the worst, dude. I don't want arbitrary reasons to have to buy another piece of hardware. Who even benefits from this? Nintendo fans who bought both and don't want to feel like suckers for doing so? When you have a shared library there's no concept of "supporting the console" or "supporting the handheld". It's just supporting the platform.

This is like people who want version-exclusive features in Pokemon games. It's the worst because it just screws anyone who doesn't buy both versions. I'll take all of the content in one game, thanks.

Also this.

Rubixcuba

Banned
I also seriously cannot keep up. The quality of the convo the last couple days has been excellent so I want to partake but just not enough time in the day to do so. Have I missed any new leaks or especially noteworthily excellent posts since this morning? Thanks all.

I think its quieted down re leaks, its the weekend and all that. Will also echo how awesome the posts have been in thread, especially on what 4 Wii U ports would be suitable.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think smartphones are enough of a threat in Japan that Nintendo can't afford to keep that series exclusive to the console. They need the NX handheld to come out strong out of the gate so that it can quickly establish itself as a viable platform, and the best way to do that is with system sellers like Splatoon.

Their handheld have plenty of titles and genre variety that were on consoles moved to handhelds already. The home system needs more or there's no point in multiple devices for home and handheld, just all handheld variations. Why make them brother and sister again? Why go through the trouble of wanting the same architecture across home and handheld? Why anything?!

Ugoo18 had an excellent point in that targetting 2 systems does not always equal a benefit at all. Ice climbers being cut for parity. Everything parity and nothing taking advantage of anything seems to be what people want I guess.

Why are even even talking about these home console rumors when it will have nothing then. I see no point in buying it, I see no point in them even releasing it here.

Sign me me up for IR pointer support as well. We have no idea where Nintendo is going with the new controller but it may be a wiimote successor. People were clearly so ready to believe Nintendo would double down on screen controllers for whatever reason. It's hardly outlandish to expect Nintendo might revisit a controller that actually did well for them.

Your loss. There's some legitimate fun fps games out there like Halo, Destiny, Wolfenstein and Titanfall.

Dual analog only means any potential for fun turning into nothing but frustration. I would hope we would all prefer Nintendo does't cut features for those who get a lot out of them.

Banned
Sign me me up for IR pointer support as well. We have no idea where Nintendo is going with the new controller but it may be a wiimote successor. People were clearly so ready to believe Nintendo would double down on screen controllers for whatever reason. It's hardly outlandish to expect Nintendo might revisit a controller that actually did well for them.

Dual analog only means any potential for fun turning into nothing but frustration. I would hope we would all prefer Nintendo does't cut features for those who get a lot out of them.
Hey I love it to, especially for Pikmin. But all signs are pointing to the halting off Wii remote production since only third party ones are usually in stock now and Nintendo wants to distance themselves completely from the Wii branding.

They might make a more 1:1 remote like the PS Move that will some day down the line work for their VR (this could be a decade from now, just saying).

I don't see Nintendo making a successor to the Wii remote. I for one would love that considering other companies are doing it, but all console gamers want is for Nintendo to "make a traditional controller" and I feel Nintendo will do that, for now.

Schnozberry

I don't see Nintendo making a successor to the Wii remote. I for one would love that considering other companies are doing it, but all console gamers want is for Nintendo to "make a traditional controller" and I feel Nintendo will do that, for now.

I think Dual Analog plus gyro isn't a half bad compromise for those that like IR Pointer levels of precision. It all depends on what tech they decided to cram into the controller this time.

I think Dual Analog plus gyro isn't a half bad compromise for those that like IR Pointer levels of precision. It all depends on what tech they decided to cram into the controller this time.

No god its bad Its sluggish on splatoon, though its migatated by the fact it isn't nearly fast/twitchy as a CoD game. At least its step above from first person aiming in both HD Zelda games. But I can't see myself using gyro to make turns on a traditional FPSer game on NX.

Nanashrew

Banned
Okay, I was talking about things with Jimmy.

Say there's 20 games a year. It's entirely possible because Nintendo publishes that many or more a year from their own first and second parties to exclusive 3rd party titles across both handheld and home console.

Let's split it a bit, say there's 5 exclusives. 3 for handheld, 2 for home console, 15 shared between systems. Handheld gets 18 titles total, home console gets 17 total all in a single year.

That's not a bad scenario, and that's a lot of games a year. Sure during off years, they could have 20 total shareable. Nintendo has a lot of IPs and a lot of IPs used on lower budgets that could make that work. Higher budget and heavy hitter titles could make use of one or the other system.

This is still a gaming market, and there are still expectations from this market that the system should get utilized to its fullest. Having a NX home with possibly the power of a PS4 or slightly greater but having to match parity with handheld with every game would make some want it even less. Expecting 3rd parties to fill in that gap won't happen if that system ain't selling. Nintendo has to do many things with 3rd parties for sure, but they also have to make sure that thing sells too.

Schnozberry

No god its bad Its sluggish on splatoon, though its migatated by the fact it isn't nearly fast/twitchy as a CoD game. At least its step above from first person aiming in both HD Zelda games. But I can't see myself using gyro to make turns on a traditional FPSer game on NX.

You can modify the sensitivity for other titles. Developers are already using all kinds of hitbox trickery and aim assist to make dual analogs anywhere near playable on consoles. I wouldn't see it happening for twitchy FPS games but for third person shooters I think it could work well.

Banned
Take this with a giant pound of salt, but one of the Reddit posters (no, not the UE4 dev guy) PM'd me and said the Wii U Remasters coming to NX that he can confirm are Zelda, Smash (expected) and Mario Maker. Apparently Splatoon isn't one of the games. No idea about the fourth. I'm hoping for Xenoblade :p

Say there's 20 games a year. It's entirely possible because Nintendo publishes that many or more a year from their own first and second parties to exclusive 3rd party titles across both handheld and home console.

Let's split it a bit, say there's 5 exclusives. 3 for handheld, 2 for home console, 15 shared between systems. Handheld gets 18 titles total, home console gets 17 total all in a single year.

That's not a bad scenario, and that's a lot of games a year. Sure during off years, they could have 20 total shareable. Nintendo has a lot of IPs and a lot of IPs used on lower budgets that could make that work. Higher budget and heavy hitter titles could make use of one or the other system.

This is still a gaming market, and there are still expectations from this market that the system should get utilized to its fullest. Having a NX home with possibly the power of a PS4 or slightly greater but having to match parity with handheld would make some want it even less. Expecting 3rd parties to fill in that gap won't happen if that system ain't selling. Nintendo has to do many things with 3rd parties for sure, but they also have to make sure that thing sells too.
Yeah, despite not knowing much, this is definitely the most interesting concept that's been thrown about and probably the one most worth getting excited about.
A lot of Wii U games didn't fully utilize the capabilities of the system, games like:
Yarn Yoshi, DKCTF, NSMBU, etc would likely work very well on a potential next gen handheld but they can release it on both.
This has the potential of pleasing consumers considerably more than the Wii U and the 3DS did since you'd get a lot more bang for your buck. Making people feel more confident about their purchases with fewer droughts and more guaranteed support (even if the console does poorly nintendo and others can release software for it without investing too much). Could also help Nintendo become self sufficient if they don't have traditional 3rd party support.
Some issues need to be worked out like making both appealing to consumers price and feature wise, how exclusives would be handheld, etc.
In terms of visuals, they'd need to go for a more stylized approach like how Wind Waker looks amazing on GameCube and on Wii U and would upscale properly. I can see some taking issue with this, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how it's handled
To add to the post, I think Japan would adore the idea with the Vita probably not sticking around much longer so it could theoretically get a ton more games than the average exclusive amount the 3DS used to get.
I think Sony has been trying to convince them on to Steam+PS4, or that's what some have been going for like Danganronpa, but if the handheld is successful they might jump back in.

Take this with a giant pound of salt, but one of the Reddit posters (no, not the UE4 dev guy) PM'd me and said the Wii U Remasters coming to NX that he can confirm are Zelda, Smash (expected) and Mario Maker. Apparently Splatoon isn't one of the games. No idea about the fourth. I'm hoping for Xenoblade :p
Is there anything to say he's more credible than any other poster?

Banned
Is there anything to say he's more credible than any other poster?
I'm looking into that. He claims to be a dev in the know, and is shitting on the Ue4 guy for lying. But I haven't gotten any verification from him nor he from the mods so it could be crap. He doesn't seem to be an attention seeker though because instead of making a thread about it he just PM'd me about it.

It's interesting to say the least. It may confirm a screen controller is coming for NX, whether it's the default controller or not remains to be seen though.

Edit: He's a freelance writer. He has heard rumblings of Splatoon being ported to NX but can't confirm it like the other three

Box

Their handheld have plenty of titles and genre variety that were on consoles moved to handhelds already. The home system needs more or there's no point in multiple devices for home and handheld, just all handheld variations. Why make them brother and sister again? Why go through the trouble of wanting the same architecture across home and handheld? Why anything?!

Ugoo18 had an excellent point in that targetting 2 systems does not always equal a benefit at all. Ice climbers being cut for parity. Everything parity and nothing taking advantage of anything seems to be what people want I guess.

Why are even even talking about these home console rumors when it will have nothing then. I see no point in buying it, I see no point in them even releasing it here.

The point is that with a shared library, the console can afford to sell only 5-10 million without being a liability and without losing software support. The onus isn't on any one device alone to build the platform's userbase. It also just means more games in general for the console.

To go back to one of your examples, it means that Luigi's Mansion 2 can be a console game by default even if the console alone wouldn't merit receiving the game.

This is still a gaming market, and there are still expectations from this market that the system should get utilized to its fullest. Having a NX home with possibly the power of a PS4 or slightly greater but having to match parity with handheld with every game would make some want it even less. Expecting 3rd parties to fill in that gap won't happen if that system ain't selling. Nintendo has to do many things with 3rd parties for sure, but they also have to make sure that thing sells too.

It's a fucking terrible scenario because of those 3 handheld exclusive games is the annual Pokemon game that is being withheld from the console for absolutely no reason.

I understand that there may be a time and place to take advantage of a more powerful system. With the NX platform, over time games will gradually become incompatible with the older, less powerful devices. So over time, there would eventually be console exclusives at least until the next handheld iteration could play those games as well. But it's not worth breaking compatibility with the NX platform as a whole in order to get that last 5% of power out of any one device. If it was that important, then they could have made that device more powerful.

Sterok

Obviously the NX will have dual screen capabilities. Nintendo has a large backlog that relies on dual screens, and they're very invested in them in general. For better or worse it's their biggest defining feature hardware wise right now. Not every game uses them well, but they'd see it as a step backward to not have it available for all their games if need be.

Whether or not it's a good idea to keep dual screens is a separate matter. I say it mostly depends on the cost, and if they can get that down then it won't hurt them at all. What was it specifically that drove the gamepad's price up? The screen, the lag-free off-screen play, or something else?

Splatoon needs a full on sequel.

I'm fine with the games that seem to be the "ports" though.

Nanashrew

Banned
The point is that with a shared library, the console can afford to sell only 5-10 million without being a liability and without losing software support. The onus isn't on any one device alone to build the platform's userbase. It also just means more games in general for the console.

To go back to one of your examples, it means that Luigi's Mansion 2 can be a console game by default even if the console alone wouldn't merit receiving the game

Luigi's Mansion 3 could easily be shareable because it's a low budget title. They can have all their lower budget titles shareable, but the bigger budgets on home console and handheld could be exclusive and take full advantage of the system.

And it wouldn't take away from much at all since Nintendo publishes roughly 20+ games a year. Having majority shareable, but few non-shareable to take advantage of the system is fine.

EDIT: Also Jimmy's post above too about possibly becoming self sufficient. The focus is on their software and having more systems to sell more software is good. They just need people to buy in, and even a couple of exclusives if that helps in the long term.

It's a fucking terrible scenario because of those 3 handheld exclusive games is the annual Pokemon game that is being withheld from the console for absolutely no reason.

I understand that there may be a time and place to take advantage of a more powerful system. With the NX platform, over time games will gradually become incompatible with the weaker, less powerful devices. So over time, there would eventually be console exclusives at least until the next handheld iteration could play those games as well. But it's not worth breaking compatibility with the NX platform as a whole in order to get that last 5% of power out of any one device. If it was that important, then they could have made that device more powerful.

Then you also forget the home NX will get an iteration too and outperform the handheld when it comes out.

This is the console future. iteration, iteration, iteration, iteration.

Ogodei

I suppose Splatoon could work on the handheld if it were dual screen, but i think Nintendo could find some way to make the franchise appealing on consoles in Japan too.

If Splatoon was ported from the wii to the NX handheld and a sequel was made for the console I guess that could work?
Would be pretty weird, though

I understand that there may be a time and place to take advantage of a more powerful system. With the NX platform, over time games will gradually become incompatible with the older, less powerful devices. So over time, there would eventually be console exclusives at least until the next handheld iteration could play those games as well. But it's not worth breaking compatibility with the NX platform as a whole in order to get that last 5% of power out of any one device. If it was that important, then they could have made that device more powerful.
Yeah, withholding games from the console to make the handheld seem better makes little sense, I'd think.
I guess to make the product more desirable but it's already the cheapest making it desirable for those that just want a little bit of Nintendo in their life and there's probably no good reason to keep it away from the console gameplay/tech wise
Luigi's Mansion 3 could easily be shareable because it's a low budget title. They can have all their lower budget titles shareable, but the bigger budgets on home console and handheld could be exclusive and take full advantage of the system.

And it wouldn't take away from much at all since Nintendo publishes roughly 20+ games a year. Having majority shareable, but few non-shareable to take advantage of the system is fine.

EDIT: Also Jimmy's post above too about possibly becoming self sufficient. The focus is on their software and having more systems to sell more software is good. They just need people to buy in, and even a couple of exclusives if that helps in the long term.

Then you also forget the home NX will get an iteration too and outperform the handheld when it comes out.

Another cool thing about the shared library aspect is that developers could feel better about investing more into their portable games unlike a lot of Vita releases. With the more powerful tech comes higher expectations from the consumer for the games to output better visuals, and if a dev thinks that "hey, this game will cost less than a AAA console titles but it'll be available on a bigger installbase I can invest more into it" bringing back mid tier games on console at full force...if it works out.
If a game doesn't work on the handheld they can just leave it on the home console like the next mainline Zelda or Xenoblade 3 and maybe port it to new iteration of the handheld later down the line.
They can increase or decrease the amount of exclusive software they're making depending on the sales forecast for each system as well which is just better for them overall.

Nanashrew

Banned
I suppose Splatoon could work on the handheld if it were dual screen, but i think Nintendo could find some way to make the franchise appealing on consoles in Japan too.

Splatoon is greatly loved in Japan. They found a long ignored market for people who like shooters but not a fan of american war story shooters. As Jim Sterling put it, there is no such thing as the perfect pasta sauce.

there's actually a TON of Splatoon merchandising in Japan. And boy do I mean it. It's like squid paradise in Japan.

EDIT: We also we shouldn't forget backwards and forwards compatibility going forward with these systems.

EDIT 2: Also how would Splatoon work on a handheld. The interface would look cluttered on a 540p screen. Not to mention how well would all the visual information be handled?

Also Pikmin won't be on a handheld either because small screens don't benefit Pikmin because they'd be too small to see on a small screen.

Box

What does budget even have to do with it? Let's take Fire Emblem 15. Why shouldn't that game be playable on the console?

Nanashrew

Banned
What does budget even have to do with it? Let's take Fire Emblem 15. Why shouldn't that game be playable on the console?

I'm not even sure what their budget is. Last I heard, they would need to sell at the very least 700k to break even if they made an exclusive home console FE. But I see little issue as it doesn't really take advantage of either system.

AniHawk

It doesn't make much sense to port Splatoon and even less sense to port mario maker.

they have two popular recent games that have been receiving download content through 2016. splatoon in particular is huge in japan. if they want to make sure their next system sells well, they need to put their biggest guns on it. splatoon is actually one of them.

super mario maker is a 'proof of concept' sort of thing. i can actually imagine a 'super mario maker dx' as a digital pack-in title for all systems.

Agreed. I love Splatoon, but a port would be disappointing. Keep things fresh and bring a sequel out within the first 18 months of NX release.
This so much. Splatoon is amazing as is, but it's one of those games that has an amazing amount of potential for a sequel.

Super Mario Maker, on the other hand, seems like a perfect porting opportunity. Throw in some more backdrops and music and I'll happily get that.

Nanashrew

Banned
How would the Splatoon interface stuff work on a 540p handheld screen? How would we get all the visual information needed on a small screen?

In a competitive shooter

With a ton going on

That also requires twitch reflexes

And high accuracy

EDIT: read things wrong. Still, my point still stands on handheld port stuff.

KingBroly

Banned
they have two popular recent games that have been receiving download content through 2016. splatoon in particular is huge in japan. if they want to make sure their next system sells well, they need to put their biggest guns on it. splatoon is actually one of them.

super mario maker is a 'proof of concept' sort of thing. i can actually imagine a 'super mario maker dx' as a digital pack-in title for all systems.

They'd port Splatoon to get Japan

Super Mario Maker is like a once in a lifetime game. I cannot see them trying to make another one. With LBP, it just kept degrading over time, although I think SMM has more levels than that series. There are definitely things to add to SMM, but I can't see them doing it.

KingBroly

Banned
It will be interesting to see how they message this. Announcing four ports at the same time seems pretty nuts.

They announce that "NX will launch with Zelda and 3 Amazing Game Services: Splatoon, Super Mario Mario and The Complete Edition of Super Smash Bros, each with more content to come after release."

Or:
Smash Bros: "The Ice Climbers Return"
Super Mario Maker: "Slopes"
Splatoon: "SQUID SISTER AMIIBO!"

Speaking of amiibo, still 0 word on when Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta amiibo are releasing. A bit...too...you know what I'm saying?

Banned
It will be interesting to see how they message this. Announcing four ports at the same time seems pretty nuts.
They'll be staggered. It'll either be:

A) they announce all at once as part of a "Wii U classics" series with release dates TBA
B) they only announce them one at a time, a few weeks before the release date in directs

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
They announce that "NX will launch with Zelda and 3 Amazing Game Services: Splatoon, Super Mario Mario and The Complete Edition of Super Smash Bros, each with more content to come after release."

Or:

Speaking of amiibo, still 0 word on when Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta amiibo are releasing. A bit...too...you know what I'm saying?

It should be in the next Direct or potentially at E3. Right now, I think we only know about the Kirby amiibo series coming in June. If they don't have any new amiibo announced by the end of June, then something is off (or sales are really down). But really, I figure the next general Direct we get that has Wii U and 3DS info will probably give a date for those final figures.

Edit: For amiibo this year, I'm also sort of expecting either the announcement of an amiibo game (for NX) or continued expansion of the Skylanders partnership, and I would think both of those would happen at E3.

Zalman

Or:

I'm hoping they're not just simple ports in the traditional sense. If Smash is coming over, hopefully there's new content. If Splatoon is coming over, then hopefully it's more like "Splatoon 1.5" rather than just the same thing.

Side note: Personally I think Smash Bros. should come with every console as it pretty much markets every other Nintendo franchise for you.

NateDrake

I imagine the ports will be part of the launch year to fill in gaps.

My thoughts exactly. Launch in Nov with new software & Zelda, then Smash in Dec - similar to GCN and Melee release window, Splatoon in early spring, and Mario Maker as a summer filler. Though Mario Maker as a pre-installed game on NX would work well.

My thoughts exactly. Launch in Nov with new software & Zelda, then Smash in Dec - similar to GCN and Melee release window, Splatoon in early spring, and Mario Maker as a summer filler. Though Mario Maker as a pre-installed game on NX would work well.
If they're ports shouldnt they be there at launch?

Futaba

Hey I love it to, especially for Pikmin. But all signs are pointing to the halting off Wii remote production since only third party ones are usually in stock now and Nintendo wants to distance themselves completely from the Wii branding.

They might make a more 1:1 remote like the PS Move that will some day down the line work for their VR (this could be a decade from now, just saying).
Make it easier on yourself, repeat after me, all the reddit leakers are fakes.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

All at once would likely be too much saturation and hurt their cumulative sales. It would also likely mean Nintendo would be releasing 6+ games on launch day, which I bet third party partners would not be happy about. Staggering them should help NX avoid software droubts and give Nintendo teams more time to finish their NX projects.

The only way I see them all arriving at launch is if they're only on Nintendo's digital store and they're launching that or Nintendo doesn't have any dedicated NX launch games ready.

NateDrake

No reason to release them all on Day 1, nor do we know if they are straight ports or "remasters" of sorts. I expect them to be schedule filler and to add variety to the release calendar. They can cushion release and help to achieve a good flow of software for the platform to keep people interested for the long term.

Nanashrew

Banned

Mario Maker would be a nice pack-in. Though I feel Zelda will be the likeliest pack-in.

Zalman

No reason to release them all on Day 1, nor do we know if they are straight ports or "remasters" of sorts. I except them to be schedule filler and to add variety to the release calendar. They can cushion release and help to achieve a good flow of software for the platform to keep people interested for the long term.
Agreed. They need to avoid that 8-month drought the Wii U suffered from in its first year. Ports are a good way to do that. I also stand by the fact that the launch should have new games. Yes, I know how small the Wii U install base is, but I think it's also important to have something new for those people. If they lose them too, they're done.

I can imagine Zelda and Smash being there for the launch along with a couple of new games.

Somnid

Mario Maker would be a nice pack-in. Though I feel Zelda will be the likeliest pack-in.

Why would that be a pack-in especially if people will buy it anyways? It seems more likely they'll have a game full of tech demos that shows off whatever the concept is that will be bundled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom