• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to keep Splatoon on home console only to sell home consoles in my opinion. They desperately need to make more franchises for their home consoles because they cannot keep moving everything over to their handheld and letting their system die.

This has become a real problem for Nintendo. Luigi's Mansion was a home console game and its sequel is a handheld game. The more they do this, the more there is no point at all for them to make home systems.

Making more expensive games that will typically sell less just to put them on a home console is foolish. The wii u was going to die either way.

Luigi's mansion 2 being on Wii U would only have succeeded in making sure the game sold a fraction of the copies. It got over 4.75m sales on 3DS, and unless you're implying that you think putting it on home consoles would have made it outsell Smash Wii U and Super Mario 3d world, then no, putting it on the handheld was the right decision this time.

Now, an actual argument for keeping splatoon on consoles, I could get behind. For instance, it really, really benefited a lot from gyro controls, which are always going to be ass when you're moving the screen you're looking at. But saying they let it die is just confusing. It seems like taking the path that lets most people buy and enjoy your game is often the best one.

The two games I believe that won't be ported to NX are Splatoon and Mario Kart. And the reason is the same:

At this point a sequel would make more sense.

Mario Kart is a 2014 game. Considering that there have been 2-3 years between each release since 2001, we are very likely to get Mario Kart 9 in 2017.

Splatoon does not need much development time. Even if they port the first one to NX, it would make more sense to just use that version as base for the sequel by adding stuff and retooling the single player.

I agree with Mario Kart.

I don't think a port of Splatoon excludes a sequel though. I think the idea because a new system without Splatoon would damage the pre-existing community pretty badly. Whereas a port would allow them to seamlessly transition over and also bring in some new players, to build up a stronger userbase and keep them happy while they work on the actual main attraction of a fully-fledged sequel.

It's either that or no Splatoon at all until late 2017 or so, which means the community would be forced to hang onto their Wii U instead of the shiny new system for over a year. In the long-term I think it's better to keep the train going instead of suddenly stopping it to resume later. It's all about keeping the brand constant considering that service games and long-term multiplayer communities are a major trend right now, and Splatoon is the closest thing Nintendo has to that. Having it at launch in some form should be a priority.

Nanashrew

Banned
While true, it would make so much money in japan that it's kind of crazy. Would admittedly be a shame to lose the one console game Japan really went crazy for, though

Exactly my point. It was a crazy hit. For the first time ever Japan is interested in a shooter and it's already got a very strong tournament scene going. Having a sequel on the home system could get more to buy it because sequels typically do better than their first game. Handhelds definitely have more reach, but they need to do something to recover their home system. With handhelds reaching new lows and mobile growing, they have to do something. Their handhelds won't save them at some point like in the past, and a home console is looked upon more favorably in the west. NA used to even be Nintendo's biggest market before they abandoned it.

NFLO

Neo Member
If COD comes to NX, they better keep the auto aim crap off like they did with Black Ops 2. The Wii U version was my favorite due to the fact that when I was aiming or just moving around an enemy or zombie, I wouldn't be locked into aiming at them with the camera or whatever which gave me 100% control.

Nanashrew

Banned
Making more expensive games that will typically sell less just to put them on a home console is foolish. The wii u was going to die either way.

Luigi's mansion 2 being on Wii U would only have succeeded in making sure the game sold a fraction of the copies. It got over 4.75m sales on 3DS, and unless you're implying that you think putting it on home consoles would have made it outsell Smash Wii U and Super Mario 3d world, then no, putting it on the handheld was the right decision this time.

Now, an actual argument for keeping splatoon on consoles, I could get behind. For instance, it really, really benefited a lot from gyro controls, which are always going to be ass when you're moving the screen you're looking at

My point is, the more they relegate to handheld the less important their home console becomes in terms of value because their content is barely there.

They need to keep Splatoon on home console only to sell home consoles in my opinion. They desperately need to make more franchises for their home consoles because they cannot keep moving everything over to their handheld and letting their system die.

This has become a real problem for Nintendo. Luigi's Mansion was a home console game and its sequel is a handheld game. The more they do this, the more there is no point at all for them to make home systems.
You can't fight your consumer's taste.
The whole point of a shared library is give customers more flexibility where to consume their software.

They can have a console Splatoon 2 topping out below 2 million or a handheld + console release that has a shot at 4+ million in Japan.

My point is, the more they relegate to handheld the less important their home console becomes in terms of value because their content is barely there.
The shared library speculation would mean that sales of the home console would likely matter less than before and the home console would get a lot more games...though it could make casual Nintendo fans just pick up the base system (the handheld) instead depending on how they handled it. Home console exclusives should happen, but I'm thinking something more like Zelda or Xenoblade 3

Ragnamith

Spoken like someone who never played much of the extraordinarily content-packed love letter to Nintendo that is Nintendo Land. I would absolutely love a sequel, though I don't know if it will reach wide success so I'm not sure if it should be a launch title.

Although I really liked Nintendoland, it really felt like a sort of Wii-U demo kind of game. A very good and extended one, but it felt like it was kinda there to fill up the lack of games Wii U had at the time. I would consider it a bad thing if we get Nintendoland NX, that is if it's similar to Nintendoland on Wii-U of course.

Nanashrew

Banned
You can't fight your consumer's taste.
The whole point of a shared library is give customers more flexibility where to consume their software.

They can have a console Splatoon 2 topping out below 2 million or a handheld + console release that has a shot at 4+ million in Japan.

I don't believe they'll go full shared library. They'll still have console exclusives to take full advantage of the system while many others are shared. Biggest ones simply for power reasons being Xenoblade and Zelda home console. They would do everything the max out the home console and use all of its properties.

Others can be used to gain interest in their home systems. I still see a shared library but just not with everything.

Mario Maker is probably something that doesn't need a sequel but a port would be good. Maybe add SMB2, while you're at it.

MM might have a good case for not deviating too much, they could keep it cross compatible then, maybe force some little features like character sprites that you can only create in the NX version but can play in both.
Sequel should add slopes, SMB2 and Yoshi's Island!

I don't know what you mean by relegate to handheld. Most of Nintendo's franchises have entries on both the handheld and consoles. As the handhelds got the ability to run console like games, of course they started appearing more like them.

This won't be a LM2 situation. That was a full 3DS exclusive with no way to play it on Wii U.

If the "shared" NX software works as we assume it does, then it'll be on both. You just have to choose which form factor you prefer.

ffdgh

MM might have a good case for not deviating too much, they could keep it cross compatible then, maybe force some little features like character sprites that you can only create in the NX version but can play in both.
Sequel should add slopes, SMB2 and Yoshi's Island!

Snow, desert, forest, beach, and volcano astetics would be great...but likely asking for too much barring the NSMB, Mario world, and SMB3 themes.

I don't believe they'll go full shared library. They'll still have console exclusives to take full advantage of the system while many others are shared. Biggest ones simply for power reasons being Xenoblade and Zelda home console. They would do everything the max out the home console and use all of its properties.

Others can be used to gain interest in their home systems. I still see a shared library but just not with everything.
I agree, the extent of the shared library remains to be seen. I just think that Splatoon is one of those games that makes sense to be on both systems, like all the other once per generation games (Mario Kart).

A local Monster Hunter-like multiplayer mode would work so well and be a natural fit to make S2 even more popular in Japan.

javac

I'm just baffled by the lack of 3DS to Wii U ports and I'm left thinking that it has to do with some technical reason because it was such a missed opportunity and maybe's that what spurred this initiative to create a more unified architecture. The fact that we never got say a Kid Icarus Uprising or Luigi's Mansion 2 port in HD to fill in the gaps is baffling.

Ah ha. So we reached the same conclusion. I'm glad to see that, my Italian twin, lol. Did James ever clarify if we interpreted his post correctly?
Sorry, had an online test to take last night and i probably missed it. What interpretation?
I'm just baffled by the lack of 3DS to Wii U ports and I'm left thinking that it has to do with some technical reason because it was such a missed opportunity and maybe's that what spurred this initiative to create a more unified architecture. The fact that we never got say a Kid Icarus Uprising or Luigi's Mansion 2 port in HD to fill in the gaps is baffling.
A lot of people want Wii U ports, but I think a KiU HD needs to happen.
It's big enough for a console release and a different control scheme like Splatoon's would likely make people accept it more.
Maybe a sequel?

Nanashrew

Banned
I want you all to look at the Wii U right this instant and show me the variety of games on that system then compare that to Nintendo's output on the 3DS.

Sales show there's more value in owning the 3DS than the Wii U. Yeah, whatever, bad marketing and all that, but Nintendo didn't improve that much and made so many platformers and not enough variety in genres for the Wii U to turn anything around, or do better in their marketing approach.

Do you know why? Because the variety has moved to the handheld and has made Wii U look weak in comparison. It will be forgotten and the best games will be ported to the NX. It won't be a Dreamcast in memory. That is Wii U's legacy. More people will remember the Gamecube more than the Wii U because it had variety of content from Nintendo themselves and more new IP's.

A full shared library is a no go if they want both platforms to sell. 60%-70% of their games can be shared, but they need exclusives that make use of the individual hardware to their potential to give some a reason to own both.

javac

It's big enough for a console release and a different control scheme like Splatoon's would likely make people accept it more.
Maybe a sequel?
Agreed 100%, such a great game and like you mention the scope and scale of that game is huge and it wouldn't feel out of place on a home console at all. Such an ambitious game and I'd love to see it in HD or a sequel.

Maybe a sequel?

I've been wanting this to happen ever since E3 2012. Don't even do this to me.

I've been wanting this to happen ever since E3 2012. Don't even do this to me.
I think the poor reception to the controls turned them off from doing so, but that's kind of the perfect excuse to remaster it.
Agreed 100%, such a great game and like you mention the scope and scale of that game is huge and it wouldn't feel out of place on a home console at all. Such an ambitious game and I'd love to see it in HD or a sequel.
Yeah, I'd take a sequel as well. Sakurai is working on something new and I'm pretty sure it's not the smash 4 port

I want you all to look at the Wii U right this instant and show me the variety of games on that system then compare that to Nintendo's output on the 3DS.

Sales show there's more value in owning the 3DS than the Wii U. Yeah, whatever, bad marketing and all that, but Nintendo didn't improve that much and made so many platformers and not enough variety in genres for the Wii U to turn anything around, or do better in their marketing approach.

Do you know why? Because the variety has moved to the handheld and has made Wii U look weak in comparison. It will be forgotten and the best games will be ported to the NX. It won't be a Dreamcast in memory. That is Wii U's legacy. More people will remember the Gamecube more than the Wii U because it had variety of content from Nintendo themselves and more new IP's.

A full shared library is a no go if they want both platforms to sell. 60%-70% of their games can be shared, but they need exclusives that make use of the individual hardware to their potential to give some a reason to own both.

The wii u's library is shit in terms of variety because the writing was on the wall from very early on : This thing won't sell. Hence, projects didn't get greenlighted, or they were moved to the 3DS. There's no point in releasing games that wouldn't turn a profit, or could have been largely the same on 3ds with much larger profit.

You don't have to like it, but that's the market right now, and releasing more titles like luigis mansion 2 on the wii u wouldn't have done anything other than make nintendo lose more money than they already were.

Of course the 3DS has more variety: It's sold five times as many consoles and had two 1.5 extra years on the market. You'd have to be the worst business planner in the world to have it any other way.

Nanashrew

Banned
The wii u's library is shit in terms of variety because the writing was on the wall from very early on : This thing won't sell. Hence, projects didn't get greenlighted, or they were moved to the 3DS. There's no point in releasing games that wouldn't turn a profit, or could have been largely the same on 3ds with much larger profit.

You don't have to like it, but that's the market right now, and releasing more titles like luigis mansion 2 on the wii u wouldn't have done anything other than make nintendo lose more money than they already were.

So what are you saying then? Should all current and new IPs and franchises just be on handheld because of it makes them enough money and further bolsters their handhelds and continues to weaken their home console? That removes the home console as a secondary choice and makes their handheld the secondary choice because there's no legitimate reason for anyone outside the small dedicated hardcore like myself to purchase their home systems. I do love the Wii U, but even with the writing on the wall, they could have done more to get more variety on the system. Luigi's Mansion was only an example I used, but it's far more than just Luigi's Mansion, far, far more as even seen on display here and elsewhere demanding all their home console games to be on handheld just because it makes them more money and further shows how little anyone wants to own their home console systems.

I don't care about the current market and their love of handhelds. Actually, their love is more to mobile and barely the dedicated handheld because it has cratered.

Many friends I know who are Nintendo fans have no interest in the Wii U because it lacks so much that owning a 3DS is all they need. That is their secondary system to their PS4s.

EDIT: also the Gamecube had more variety ffs and that was one of their lowest selling systems. they at least tried to salvage it and tried to give more people reason in owning.

EDIT 2: Handhelds also will not save them any longer with the rise of mobile. they need to bolster both their systems.

EDIT: also the Gamecube had more variety ffs and that was one of their lowest selling systems. they at least tried to salvage it and tried to give more people reason in owning.

They did try to save the wiiu and GBA couldn't have taken the GC entries even if they wanted to. Once it was obvious there was nothing they could do, they stopped trying, yes.

You might not like it, but that doesn't matter: They were losing money for years already largely because the wii u was such a black hole of resources.

"handhelds won't save them".

Horseshit, they have a monopoly on the dedicated handheld market vs two much stronger competitors in the home videogame console market. If they can't compete in handhelds, they can't compete anywhere and will be forced out of the hardware production part of the industry soon, if that really is the case.

ReyVGM

But he specifically pointed to the iOS App Story and the Android Marketplace as being examples of what he's talking about, and those are platforms have shared libraries accross different hardware. I think there is a very real possibility of having a shared library between both systems.

Yes, but he was talking about operating system and similar architecture. That doesn't mean the library will be shared. A dev still has to put in work to make a console version 'downgrade' to the portable one. If the portable is strong enough, you'll see games like Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors 2, Smash 5 being cross-play. But don't expect Zelda NX, Assasins Creed Yearly Edition, Destiny or whatever, to be playable on the portable.
But I do believe eshop games will be playable on both, at least the simpler games, indie stuff, puzzles and such.

Also, not all mobile games work on both phone and tablet.

Nanashrew

Banned
They did try to save the wiiu and GBA couldn't have taken the GC entries even if they wanted to. Once it was obvious there was nothing they could do, they stopped trying, yes.

You might not like it, but that doesn't matter: They were losing money for years already largely because the wii u was such a black hole of resources.

"handhelds won't save them".

Horseshit, they have a monopoly on the dedicated handheld market vs two much stronger competitors in the home videogame console market. If they can't compete in handhelds, they can't compete anywhere and will be forced out of the hardware production part of the industry soon, if that really is the case.

Smash 4 3DS severely outsold the Wii U version when it could have brought more people in for the Wii U because a lot of people love Smash and would have bought a Wii U for it. The 3DS version effectively killed some of that momentum to try to salvage things.

If their big hitters come to handheld like that and more frequently, then their home consoles are effectively and immediately, dead.

Smash 4 3DS severely outsold the Wii U version when it could have brought more people in for the Wii U because a lot of people love Smash and would have bought a Wii U for it. The 3DS version effectively killed some of that momentum to try to salvage things.

If their big hitters come to handheld like that and more frequently, then their home consoles are effectively and immediately, dead.

And what do you suggest they do?

Even if literally every single wii u owner who doesn't own smash, by nintendo sales site, bought a copy, it still would only barely match the 3DS sales of the game. There wasn't some big hidden market waiting to buy a wii u for smash, that then decided they wouldn't because of the 3DS game.

They just wouldn't have bought smash.

They're a business who was losing money for the first time in a very long time, if not the companies entire history, and your plans are that they should have continued doing so instead of releasing games on the only piece of hardware they have that wasn't a unsalvageable mess.

Basically, don't quit your dayjob to go in to business. They wouldn't be making these decisions if they weren't already forced to.

ozfunghi

As you can see, both of them mentioned Super Mario Maker. Since Shikamaru got both of the other four titles, while Instro just one of them, it's an obvious conclusion that SMM is one of them. What we can also conclude is that Xenoblade X is NOT among the four Wii U-to-NX she's aware of, since she also said there are more incoming.
So, the fourth one Emily is aware of must be one between Splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

However likely your conclusion is, it doesn't have to mean it is the case.

It is also possible (statistically), that Super Mario Maker is NOT among the games, and Xenoblade X is. That would mean that XCX is the game Instro got right, and the games that Ninja got right are among Splatoon/MK8/Smash.

Obviously, this is less likely, but just as possible.

Nanashrew

Banned
And what do you suggest they do?

Even if literally every single wii u owner who doesn't own smash, by nintendo sales site, bought a copy, it still would only barely match the 3DS sales of the game. There wasn't some big hidden market waiting to buy a wii u for smash, that then decided they wouldn't because of the 3DS game.

They just wouldn't have bought smash.

It's unknown how the events would have played out.

I just want the systems to at least have some distinction and interest. If they're both identical and their heavy hitters come out on both system there won't be a point in owning both for a large majority of people. They can still have a shared library though, that would certainly help a lot for droughts on both systems. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle for either because the goal is to streamline their development process being in a single development environment that works for both systems. That makes porting and asset sharing easy which is a problem they've had for ages. That could also lead to more unique games for one or the other or both systems due to the simplifying their development process.

Like I said earlier, maybe 60%-70% of games could be shareable between platforms. The remaining 40%-30% could be exclusive to their specific hardware that makes full use of them and their heaviest hitters to keep interest up and at least make some people think "maybe I should get a NX home" or "maybe I should get a NX handheld."

It's just something I'm thinking heavily about on how they'll approach this. Splatoon did something amazing for them and garnered huge interest. It also grabbed a market in Japan that no one thought about to go after. Jim Sterling and his pasta sauce commentary. But something like that is good for mindshare, and in my belief should stay on their home systems. That kind of thing is important and brings variety to a much needed system.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't think you are getting all the DLC for free. Especially if there is a back-end deal with some of the third-party characters like Cloud. I think an enhanced Wii U version with the 3DS perks, and maybe a Wolf or Ice Climbers or the Nintendo DLC characters added works. Mostly though, I don't see the need for a Smash Bros. 5. Not from Nintendo, not from Sakurai, and from the market if they do a decent job of establishing Smash WiiU/3DS + on the NX.

Yeah, I actually thought same thing about DLC itself for few reasons;

1. I'm pretty sure that Sakurai already planned to working on Smash NX during DLC development and already worked on the licenses and deals with other companies. The License/Deals mightn't allowed it to happens.
  2. Most of the fans already purchased the characters for Smash for 3DS and Wii U so they "could make the purchase transferable to next system"
  3. If they are going to bundle everyone in a game then they have to work out and split the money with 6 different companies which sound ludicrous to me.

I think there is a moderate chance that we are going to get Smash Bros 4.5 with new characters, stages and modes. I think Sakurai is willing to work on Smash 4.5 for NX because it would benefit him in many ways.

1. He always enjoy to working on newcomers and design their movesets
  2. To avoid the characters cut. He already expressed his dislikes toward to characters getting cut out of the roster. If he are going to do 4.5 then he don't have to worry about cutting anyone out of the roster.
  3. He don't have to start all over from scratch with Smash Bros which would minimize his schedule with current project so he can move on to brand new projects. Also it would minimize Nintendo's budget, and Namco's development schedule.
  4. Sakurai really enjoy to bring something new to Smash Bros franchise every generation (console-wise). I'm pretty sure that Sakurai probably want to develop new modes that would demonstrate the capabilities of new console.
  5. Smash Ballot. I don't really think they are going to do Smash Ballot for just one or two characters. I think they were planning to use Smash Ballot for Smash NX as well. Hopefully I'm right on that.
  6. Amiibo If Sakurai is going to include more characters then it could benefit them on long run by making more Amiibo for Smash lineup.

I totally agreed with you that we doesn't really NEED Smash 5 for Nintendo NX for several reasons. Anyway, did Reggie said that we only get ONE Smash per console? If he actually mention that then it would completely throw Smash 5 for NX out of the window.

GamerJM

Banned
The lack of variety of releases is also partially due to the costs of game development going up. The Gamecube had a lot of experimental lower budget stuff because it wasn't difficult to produce.

Though a lot of that is relegated to the eShop now (in addition to the 3DS).

Box

What if Splatoon 2 is Splatoon?

In other words, what if Splatoon's sequel on NX is named Splatoon and the initial round of content is comprised mostly of weapons and stages from the original game on Wii U?

I do think at some point they might benefit from a clean break but I'm wondering if this might be the plan.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Let me put this into perspective. They just released Smash Bros. for the 3DS and Wii U in 2014. Worked through the DLC until December 2015. Now we are expecting an enhanced edition for the NX Console (and NX Hand held?) in 2016. It's 2017, you think Sakurai is signing up for a Smash Bros. 5? Likely he will want to work on a new project after burning on this project.

So in 2019 if Sakurai feels like signing on to make Smash Bros. 5, Nintendo has to secure another 300 people or so at that moment to develop the game. When is this releasing?

Exactly, I had to quote you on that.

That depends on if Sakurai is even involved with the port. If not, I could see him signing on for Smash 5 in maybe a year or two. There's also the very real possibility of Nintendo moving forward with Smash 5 without Sakurai.

If Sakurai really want to move away from Smash Bros franchise for few years so I think it would make a sense to do a quick port with some new contents.

I think it would be kind of dumb to port Splatoon. Might stall the franchise's progression, really think it needs a sequel instead of a port

I'm not sure but I'm advocator for brand new Splatoon. I could foresee many good things that could come out of Splatoon, despite that I didn't really play much as I would like to. If they are planing to do a huge expansion for Splatoon port then I'm all for it.

Box

It's unknown how the events would have played out.

I just want the systems to at least have some distinction and interest. If they're both identical and their heavy hitters come out on both system there won't be a point in owning both for a large majority of people. They can still have a shared library though, that would certainly help a lot for droughts on both systems. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle for either because the goal is to streamline their development process being in a single development environment that works for both systems. That makes porting and asset sharing easy which is a problem they've had for ages. That could also lead to more unique games for one or the other or both systems due to the simplifying their development process.

Like I said earlier, maybe 60%-70% of games could be shareable between platforms. The remaining 40%-30% could be exclusive to their specific hardware that makes full use of them and their heaviest hitters to keep interest up and at least make some people think "maybe I should get a NX home" or "maybe I should get a NX handheld."

It's just something I'm thinking heavily about on how they'll approach this. Splatoon did something amazing for them and garnered huge interest. It also grabbed a market in Japan that no one thought about to go after. Jim Sterling and his pasta sauce commentary. But something like that is good for mindshare, and in my belief should stay on their home systems. That kind of thing is important and brings variety to a much needed system.

This is the worst, dude. I don't want arbitrary reasons to have to buy another piece of hardware. Who even benefits from this? Nintendo fans who bought both and don't want to feel like suckers for doing so? When you have a shared library there's no concept of "supporting the console" or "supporting the handheld". It's just supporting the platform.

This is like people who want version-exclusive features in Pokemon games. It's the worst because it just screws anyone who doesn't buy both versions. I'll take all of the content in one game, thanks.

ugoo18

I do agree with the idea that Nintendo needs to think on what should be a handheld game and what shouldn't be. Their home consoles as of late (Notably the WiiU) almost have become second class citizens when compared to their handhelds.

For example a game like KI:U really has no business being on the 3DS rather than the WiiU, if anything being on the 3DS hurt the game. If you're bundling a stand with your game for "comfort" your game is on the wrong system. Barring the 3D the 3DS brought nothing to the table that made KI:U better instead it hampered it control wise vs a WiiU version that would have kept not only the stylus controls intact but added far more viable options for people who wanted more comfortable options.

Then there's the me too versions of games that have been appearing on the 3DS as of late such as DK3D, Hyrule Warriors and XC3D for example. Not a single one of those games benefited in anyway from being on the 3DS, if anything they all suffered from the move to the 3DS in regards to framerate and technical short comings. Sure there was added content for some of them but that effort for the extra content could also have gone into other things. Then there are the games that come out on both namely Smash Bros, yes the 3DS version sold better than the WiiU version but it also resulted in the loss of things from both versions like Ice Climbers and that's what we know of. There are probably other things that were cut from the game because of the 3DS' technical limitations. Regularly porting to the handheld or creating numerous me too versions slowly erode the need to even pick up the home console when there's a decent chance that new game will find its way to the handheld anyway at some point.

I understand that supporting two different systems is incredibly difficult (Especially when you're going it alone on one system) but i'm still of the belief that part of the reason the WiiU faltered as badly as it did and basically died was because the 3DS cannibalized part of the few (Compared to the 3DS anyway) games it had in addition to Nintendo creating an expectation among some that if it comes to the WiiU it might come to the 3DS so i'll stick with 1 system. Basically Nintendo didn't give people enough of a reason to own the WiiU in addition to the 3DS. Hopefully with the shared library the home console can get a more steady stream of games rather than droughts and seeing the handheld get most of the attention.

Nanashrew

Banned
I do agree with the idea that Nintendo needs to think on what should be a handheld game and what shouldn't be. Their home consoles as of late (Notably the WiiU) almost have become second class citizens when compared to their handhelds.

For example a game like KI:U really has no business being on the 3DS rather than the WiiU, if anything being on the 3DS hurt the game. If you're bundling a stand with your game for "comfort" your game is on the wrong system. Barring the 3D the 3DS brought nothing to the table that made KI:U better instead it hampered it control wise vs a WiiU version that would have kept not only the stylus controls intact but added far more viable options for people who wanted more comfortable options.

Then there's the me too versions of games that have been appearing on the 3DS as of late such as DK3D, Hyrule Warriors and XC3D for example. Not a single one of those games benefited in anyway from being on the 3DS, if anything they all suffered from the move to the 3DS in regards to framerate and technical short comings. Sure there was added content for some of them but that effort for the extra content could also have gone into other things. Then there are the games that come out on both namely Smash Bros, yes the 3DS version sold better than the WiiU version but it also resulted in the loss of things from both versions like Ice Climbers and that's what we know of. There are probably other things that were cut from the game because of the 3DS' technical limitations. Regularly porting to the handheld or creating numerous me too versions slowly erode the need to even pick up the home console when there's a decent chance that new game will find its way to the handheld anyway at some point.

I understand that supporting two different systems is incredibly difficult (Especially when you're going it alone on one system) but i'm still of the belief that part of the reason the WiiU faltered as badly as it did and basically died was because the 3DS cannibalized part of the few (Compared to the 3DS anyway) games it had in addition to Nintendo creating an expectation among some that if it comes to the WiiU it might come to the 3DS so i'll stick with 1 system. Basically Nintendo didn't give people enough of a reason to own the WiiU in addition to the 3DS. Hopefully with the shared library the home console can get a more steady stream of games rather than droughts and seeing the handheld get most of the attention.

Thinking about this, it probably meant losing Chorus Kids too.

Sometimes it is just not within the best interest to aim for 2 targets like in this case. It means a fair amount will get cut to achieve parity.

If COD comes to NX, they better keep the auto aim crap off like they did with Black Ops 2. The Wii U version was my favorite due to the fact that when I was aiming or just moving around an enemy or zombie, I wouldn't be locked into aiming at them with the camera or whatever which gave me 100% control.
I just mostly hope it has wiimotion IR support in someway. I can't go back to dual analog..

Eolz

I just mostly hope it has wiimotion IR support in someway. I can't go back to dual analog..

I really hope for Nintendo that they drop the wiimotes. Would just add some confusion again for consumers, and adding controllers for developers is not exactly a good idea.
They'd likely be supported for eventual VC/BC, but doubt it'd be for anything else.

GamerJM

Banned
IMO best solution for Wiimotes is that if there's some kind of game that would benefit a lot from pointer controls, they should package it with a Wii Remote adapter, like they did for Smash 4 and the Gamecube controller adapter.

Banned
NX needs IR aiming support. No I don't want to use gyro scoping for that. Its way toosluggish for a fps experience.

IMO best solution for Wiimotes is that if there's some kind of game that would benefit a lot from pointer controls, they should package it with a Wii Remote adapter, like they did for Smash 4 and the Gamecube controller adapter.

Same here. No way I'm going back to dual analog, so I hope they keep IR functionality.
Prepare to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom