• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selling the better Wii U games to a larger NX install base would be nice for Nintendo. But where is this fabled larger NX install base coming from?
People who thought the Wii U's library wasn't good enough to fork over the cash for a new console are probably not going to rush out and grab an NX for the same games.

Nintendo is going to need some NX system sellers first before these ports mean anything.

It's not just games though. The Wii U had more problems with casuals not even knowing what it was. There's no marketing for the Wii U. The NX is a fresh start. It's new hardware and new marketing.

Zalman

Selling the better Wii U games to a larger NX install base would be nice for Nintendo. But where is this fabled larger NX install base coming from?
People who thought the Wii U's library wasn't good enough to fork over the cash for a new console are probably not going to rush out and grab an NX for the same games.

Nintendo is going to need some NX system sellers first before these ports mean anything.
Agreed. Ports mean nothing if they don't have brand new software to show as well. I mean, they obviously do, but do they have enough?

Having great games non Wii u owners never got a chance to play only adds to the value equation of an NX. It can only help, and like I've been trumpeting in this thread, allows them to have more consistant releases through the 6 month launch window. Momentum is huge when it comes to mindshare.

Schnozberry

I hope they port Super Mario 3D World one way or another eventually to NX. Would like to play it one day.

It's a fantatic game to play with friends, or children if you have them. The challenge in the bonus stages a blast too. The main game can be challenging at points but not as much as the Galaxy series.

Malus

It's a fantatic game to play with friends, or children if you have them. The challenge in the bonus stages a blast too. The main game can be challenging at points but not as much as the Galaxy series.

I've only played it in single player (and loved it), but from what I've seen the camera gets pretty terrible in multiplayer. The game would be better served in split screen, though that would likely mean a performance hit.

edit: Also gyro controls are awesome :) Would still like my IR aiming back though...

Neoxon

Wii U to NX enhanced editions that are ostensibly coming. Super Mario Maker is the one we have nothing to go by, but it just seems SO obvious.

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U+ For NX
3. Super Mario Maker DX

Then is the question of what might be the fourth title (or maybe even 5th).

4. Xenoblade Chronicles X
5. Splatoon
6. Mario Kart 8
7. Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze.

I kind of listed them in order that makes sense. But we shall see. But again, Splatoon is the best selling Wii U game in Japan! It makes sense for a souped up port, with a HUGE sequel that isn't rushed following later.
You left out Pokkén Tournament, which (as stated numerous times earlier) makes sense for The Pokémon Company's eSports plans for the game.

And while I'm not 110% sold in the idea of a Splatoon port, I do hope that the NX Console's controller has gyro in some form & that they work around the lack of a second screen (if Nintendo's ditching the second screen) in a way that's till intuitive. I still think the franchise would be better off with just waiting for a sequel in 2017. But if Nintendo's not able to get a sequel out in time, then I'd be okay with a port of the first game.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding these Wii U port rumors: unless Nintendo makes significant additions or improvements to all of these games, I hope they are all $40-$50 at most. However, I get the feeling they'll be full priced with enough new content for some to say it's worth it and a lot of others to get upset.

Fake edit: Seems like NPC was maybe $30 at launch. So perhaps we could expect these Wii U ports to be $40. Then again, Smash Wii U is still readily available and has an MSRP of $60. Same for Splatoon and SMM. Unless they become Nintendo Selects this fall, it would make no sense to launch enhanced ports of them for less money.

Pokemaniac

They probably will do Smash 5 (mostly) from scratch, but not this soon after finishing 4's DLC.

I'm not convinced. Smash has gotten to the point where it's becoming impractical to throw away that much of the work between entries. Smash 5 will likely be heavly based on Smash 4.

I'm not questioning it being a family of devices, but I am questioning why people think it will necessarily be initially 2, rather than 3 or one. I guess I'm also questioning if 1080p Wii U games will really bring in the crowd that 720p Wii U games failed to.

The wording since the NX announcement has never hinted at systems plural, as far as I could tell, but to be fair they could just be being coy about that.
Proposal: late 2016: NX big-ass portable tablet ish thing, streams to tv and feels like a Wii U when used at home.

late 2017: congraturation, affordable 14nm is ready for a ti-NY handheld, maybe clamshell DS style.

late 2018 new home NZ console, plays a whole new spec range of games along with the old.

late 2019: newbigass tablet.. plays all previous. and so on

Before NX got a name, Iwata specifically talked of a new handheld and a new console. Also, the way the quote you're referring to was phrased, it was more of a looking to the future kind of thing. The way he was saying it suggested that he was saying that, while they're starting out with the two traditional platforms, that number could grow or shrink in the future based on market demand.

It's not just games though. The Wii U had more problems with casuals not even knowing what it was. There's no marketing for the Wii U. The NX is a fresh start. It's new hardware and new marketing.

It wasn't the customer's fault for being ignorant about the Wii U's greatness. A lot of folks knew what the Wii U was and still didn't care.

Having great games non Wii u owners never got a chance to play only adds to the value equation of an NX. It can only help, and like I've been trumpeting in this thread, allows them to have more consistant releases through the 6 month launch window. Momentum is huge when it comes to mindshare.

Sure, as a small supplement to NX's real system sellers ports would be nice.

NateDrake

Regarding these Wii U port rumors: unless Nintendo makes significant additions or improvements to all of these games, I hope they are all $40-$50 at most. However, I get the feeling they'll be full priced with enough new content for some to say it's worth it and a lot of others to get upset.

Fake edit: Seems like NPC was maybe $30 at launch. So perhaps we could expect these Wii U ports to be $40. Then again, Smash Wii U is still readily available and has an MSRP of $60. Same for Splatoon and SMM. Unless they become Nintendo Selects this fall, it would make no sense to launch enhanced ports of them for less money.

Smash would be a full price release on NX. If the games has all the DLC characters and stages, plus visual enhancements, offering it at a discount would be silly. The 3DS/Wii U versions would likely see a price reduction just before the NX edition releases.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Smash would be a full price release on NX. If the games has all the DLC characters and stages, plus visual enhancements, offering it at a discount would be silly. The 3DS/Wii U versions would likely see a price reduction just before the NX edition releases.

Oh, duh. I forgot Smash would likely include all of the paid DLC, which pushes its value to reasonably be full priced. I guess it's Splatoon and SMM that are more of an uncertainty, since all of their content has been free (minus the Splatoon amiibo support).

There was some discussion about Smash visual changes for an NX version since it's already 1080p60fps. If the NX rumors are true, a new lighting engine is a universal change that could make a big difference. I don't think they'd bother redoing any models or geometry except for anything ported from 3DS. Also, besides Ice Climbers, better specs could also mean that every stage becomes available in 8-Player Smash.

Instro

Can't go back to sticks. Gyro is so so fluid...kinda like kid icarus uprising.

It was too jumpy for me, particularly with such a bulky controller, thus not being very comfortable to use for any extended length. Really lacks the consistency of mouse or analogs, and it doesn't help that the positioning needs to be reset fairly regularly. IR aiming it is not.

I absolutely hated gyro in Splatoon every time I played with them, then after accidentally leaving them on before a single player session, I got so used to them that once I started back on multi, gyro felt totally natural (you almost never have to recalibrate except maybe at spawn once you start) and sticks felt slow and unwieldy when I tried to switch back. Haven't gone back to sticks since.

It really is just a learning curve.

I absolutely hated gyro in Splatoon every time I played with them, then after accidentally leaving them on before a single player session, I got so used to them that once I started back on multi, gyro felt totally natural (you almost never have to recalibrate except maybe at spawn once you start) and sticks felt slow and unwieldy when I tried to switch back. Haven't gone back to sticks since.

It really is just a learning curve.

I'm not much of a PC gamer but would you say it's similar to how many PC players claim that the mouse is so much quicker and the most intuitive way to play?

The gyro controls are just so effortless compared to anything else that they work so naturally. I'm assuming, if it does get ported, the new system would have to have gyro in its controller (which would make sense anyway, for a modern system).

Hey Blu do you think you could build me a no compromise Wii U spec game capable mega tablet? Doesn't have to
be thin, can include handwarmers powered by the thermal design if you like.
edit: forgot you have a design budget of $500MM and a retail window of $200ishhh. You will be payed in peanuts.

I'm not much of a PC gamer but would you say it's similar to how many PC players claim that the mouse is so much quicker and the most intuitive way to play?

The gyro controls are just so effortless compared to anything else that they work so naturally. I'm assuming, if it does get ported, the new system would have to have gyro in its controller (which would make sense anyway, for a modern system).

The goddam 2ds has a gyro, granted I'm not sure it's as precise. They've made good use of it so I'd think one of the first things to keep.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oh yeah, a second screen. That brings up another point. I feel they would need that for VC purposes and cross-buy to play DS/DSi and 3DS down the road. It wouldn't be as intuitive without a second screen.

ozfunghi

I'm gonna try again, see if Thraktor or Blu can answer this. My previous post did not get noticed:

I'd also err on the side of assuming that they'll use a lower GPU clock speed than Sony or MS, particularly if we're talking about a 28nm sub-XBO performance low power consumption device. Something like an XBO config at 700MHz may be plausible.

What do you think Nintendo should/could target realistically and how would it perform compared to XBO/PS4?

The NX will have gyro controls, i'd be shocked if they didn't but then again I've always been pretty surprised Nintendo cheaped out and didn't include gyro in the pro controller

Banned
i don't see why it wouldn't be. this is exactly what ps4 and ps4k is doing, except in console and handheld form factors.
Which isn't the same. That means the handheld will have to be very beefy to get some kind of competent port of the console version or (my worst nightmare) the handheld is the base version and the console games are essentially uprezzed handheld games.

NX controller better have gyros. And off-screen play goes without saying.
I think gyros and accelerometers are pretty standard in controllers now for Sony and Nintendo.

Honestly, I'm hoping the NX controller is essentially a bit wider Wii U Pro with better rumble, analog triggers, face buttons closer to the edge (hard for me to reach the Y button) and motion controls. Keep that same battery though, that thing is a tank.

Have the screen controller be optional.

Taker666

If the NX controller doesn't have a screen..it'll be interesting to see how they handle jumping to other players/ aiming the inkstrike/the map etc in Splatoon.

Hopefully the NX will have the option to use the gamepad for certain games/off tv. It would be nice to get some more use from it going forward.

I think it would be kind of dumb to port Splatoon. Might stall the franchise's progression, really think it needs a sequel instead of a port

I don't see the point in a Splatoon port. Just go the whole way and have a Splat2n ready for sometime in 2017. It's a wide enough gap and considering how well the first game did, it should sell a few systems.

NateDrake

I think it would be kind of dumb to port Splatoon. Might stall the franchise's progression, really think it needs a sequel instead of a port

That's my line of thinking. A port, even with all the download content and minor improvements, seems like wasted effort. A sequel is the smarter move.

ffdgh

Hopefully the NX will have the option to use the gamepad for certain games/off tv. It would be nice to get some more use from it going forward.

Yes please. using the gamepad for the internet browser is so dang convenient. Hope the NX version is even better.

Banned
Yeah that's why I didn't guess it. Same with Mario Kart 8. MK comes out every three years and has been since pretty much the N64. It's on pace to release May 2017.

Usually with these Remasters the best way to guess is to look for games that had high expectations and sold poorly (Xenoblade and DKCTF) or cost a lot to make and won't be getting a sequel for awhile on a dead platform (Smash) or cost a lot to make and is releasing on a dead platform at the end of its life span (Zelda).

Of course, this is Nintendo. They could remaster some game nobody asked for or wouldn't expect like NSMBU or Mario Party 10 lol.

That's my line of thinking. A port, even with all the download content and minor improvements, seems like wasted effort. A sequel is the smarter move.
Yeah, they can rework all the maps and into the sequel and reuse a lot of assets, but a sequel sounds like a better idea.
Smash works since most fighting games don't change up too much and Smash is an expensive venture that takes a long time to make.
I believe that Mario Kart 8, despite being a fantastic effort by Nintendo, should also stay on Wii U with a sequel likely being a better idea.

Nightbird

The two games I believe that won't be ported to NX are Splatoon and Mario Kart. And the reason is the same:

At this point a sequel would make more sense.

Mario Kart is a 2014 game. Considering that there have been 2-3 years between each release since 2001, we are very likely to get Mario Kart 9 in 2017.

Splatoon does not need much development time. Even if they port the first one to NX, it would make more sense to just use that version as base for the sequel by adding stuff and retooling the single player.

Porting a series entry to new hardware before launching a native sequel is a tried and tested practice.
IDK, it kind of sounds like porting an old CoD game to a new gen system.
By the time the NX comes out Splatoon will most likely be over a year and a half to two years old.
I'd be disappointed if Splatwon doesn't happen before the end of 2017 and we'd get Splatoon NX instead.

I used to think it wouldn't be worth it but Japan would go crazy for portable Splatoon. I think all of these older games would be served best by adding features rather than a straight port. Nothing crazy like slopes in Mario Maker though.

Nanashrew

Banned
They need to keep Splatoon on home console only to sell home consoles in my opinion. They desperately need to make more franchises for their home consoles because they cannot keep moving everything over to their handheld and letting their system die.

This has become a real problem for Nintendo. Luigi's Mansion was a home console game and its sequel is a handheld game. The more they do this, the more there is no point at all for them to make home systems.

They need to keep Splatoon on home console only to sell home consoles in my opinion. They desperately need to make more franchises for their home consoles because they cannot keep moving everything over to their handheld and letting their system die.

This has become a real problem for Nintendo. Luigi's Mansion was a home console game and its sequel is a handheld game. The more they do this, the more there is no point at all for them to make home systems.
While true, it would make so much money in japan that it's kind of crazy. Would admittedly be a shame to lose the one console game Japan really went crazy for, though
I used to think it wouldn't be worth it but Japan would go crazy for portable Splatoon. I think all of these older games would be served best by adding features rather than a straight port. Nothing crazy like slopes in Mario Maker though.
Mario Maker is probably something that doesn't need a sequel but a port would be good. Maybe add SMB2, while you're at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom