• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall finally gets performance mode on Xbox Series X/S

Redfall is still a mess because of the poor design initially, but post patch, the thing actually controls well. Best console controls for an Arkane game by far now. It's not just the doubled framerate that helps. They finally figured out how to make a movement and aiming system that feels good. All that said, I hope the teams just gets the 2 new characters out there quickly and moves on to a new game. I don't think Redfall can be salvaged. The issues are buried too deeply into the initial design of the game.
That was the biggest problem the god awful controls absolutely ruined it. If as you say they've fixed it I'll re-download and give it another chance.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
That was the biggest problem the god awful controls absolutely ruined it. If as you say they've fixed it I'll re-download and give it another chance.
I would say it's fixed in that department. It's also just a really pretty game now. Car windows still don't break from shooting them, though, and that's weird. Like you shoot the window and the car blows up instead.

Last edited:
Redfall is still a mess because of the poor design initially, but post patch, the thing actually controls well. Best console controls for an Arkane game by far now. It's not just the doubled framerate that helps. They finally figured out how to make a movement and aiming system that feels good. All that said, I hope the teams just gets the 2 new characters out there quickly and moves on to a new game. I don't think Redfall can be salvaged. The issues are buried too deeply into the initial design of the game.

Before I start I don't mean to offend anyone that enjoys Days Gone.

Now I tried Days Gone with the 60FPS update. The performance is great on my PS5. However I had some issues with the games design that made me not want to complete it. I understand your point on Redfall. Even if they perfect the performance the game still has other issues with stop it from being good to many people.

Right now I'm playing through Morrowind using OpenMW. I'm sure my PC is handling that game much better than the original Xbox did. But the base game was already great (to me) so this huge upgrade makes a great game even better. I'm not really messing with mods because I enjoy the base game as is with the additional improvements that OpenMW offers.

Elder Legend Elder Legend

Last edited:
I would say it's fixed in that department. It's also just a really pretty game now. Car windows still don't break from shooting them, though, and that's weird. Like you shoot the window and the car blows up instead.
These are details the top tier studios get right like Naughty Dog, Rockstar, CDPR etc I'll give it another look especially since Halloween is coming.

King Dazzar

Still not a locked 60 from what I've seen. Lots of frame dips, with some down to mid 40's. So needs VRR enabled. For me its not worth my time to revisit. Its not worth the wear and tear on my expansion card reinstalling this garbage. Time to stop flogging a dead horse.

skit_data

What I'm most surprised about is that the game didn't have stealth takedowns before this update? I had no idea, I just assumed it had based on Arkanes previous games relying more on stealth in general

Roberts

Played it for a few hours again last night...

I don't know, maybe it's because of my super low expectations after the game has been a laughing stock since its release or maybe the fixes they did (other than 60fps) have substantially improved the gameplay but I really like the game. I basically see it as a smaller scale Farcry with vampires. I know that the map will open up soon but so far I like the compact nature of everything. It took me an hour to fully memorise the town and it is cool that I can get anywhere in mere minutes. There is no bloat, each mission so far has been different, including a few safe house quests I did. After fiddling around with control settings, I got it to a point where combat feels awesome despite AI being occasionally shitty. I play as Layla and I use her special skills all the time - I can live without them but they make the gameplay more fun. I also like that the game doesn't take itself very seriously, it is definitely very self-aware when it comes to characteristics and corny humour. Finally, the game is not exactly a photorealistic looker, but the whole Halloween atmosphere is very well done - nice lighting and fog effects. 7.5/10 and could go up or down, depending on how it manages to keep me interested later on.

Topher

Gold Member

I don't know, maybe it's because of my super low expectations after the game has been a laughing stock since its release or maybe the fixes they did (other than 60fps) have substantially improved the gameplay but I really like the game. I basically see it as a smaller scale Farcry with vampires. I know that the map will open up soon but so far I like the compact nature of everything. It took me an hour to fully memorise the town and it is cool that I can get anywhere in mere minutes. There is no bloat, each mission so far has been different, including a few safe house quests I did. After fiddling around with control settings, I got it to a point where combat feels awesome despite AI being occasionally shitty. I play as Layla and I use her special skills all the time - I can live without them but they make the gameplay more fun. I also like that the game doesn't take itself very seriously, it is definitely very self-aware when it comes to characteristics and corny humour. Finally, the game is not exactly a photorealistic looker, but the whole Halloween atmosphere is very well done - nice lighting and fog effects. 7.5/10 and could go up or down, depending on how it manages to keep me interested later on.

I said before I thought there was a decent game there if they had given it more time. I’m going to give it another go at some point. Glad you are enjoying it.

Roberts

I said before I thought there was a decent game there if they had given it more time. I’m going to give it another go at some point. Glad you are enjoying it.
The first thing that popped into my head as I started playing it yesterday was: "Holy shit, why didn't you release it in October?" The summer is over, it has been shitty weather here and somehow all the fog in the game gave me a irrational cozy feeling. Maybe that is why it hits differently.

King Dazzar

Well, as Far Cry has now been mentioned twice on this thread and you're both being very open minded with this. I'm going to take my hat off and be prepared to eat it. Downloading now!

calistan

Well, as Far Cry has now been mentioned twice on this thread and you're both being very open minded with this. I'm going to take my hat off and be prepared to eat it. Downloading now!
Not sure about the Far Cry comparison, but it's definitely not a bad game. Hope they fixed stuff like this, though.

OBU6EzI.jpg

Godot25

Banned
Well. Tried it after patch and I was surprised. 60FPS is obviously superior, but changes to the control scheme made the game way more satisfying to play. Also enemy density is way better.

It did not "save" the game, but if this was the state game came out with it would review slightly better.
But on the other hand, plenty of core game aspects are still broken and I don't expect them to be fixed.

King Dazzar

So played about an hour, which was enough for me. Not a terrible time, but definitely felt like I was playing a B-movie game equivalent.

Positives:
  • Aiming feels surprisingly very good and tight
  • Some of the art concept is different and was interesting initially
  • Performance mode isnt as bad as expected, but has minor traversal stutter and occasional hitches
  • Performance modes resolution is good - appeared to be around 1800p at a wild guess
Negatives:
  • Gunplay feels very shallow and empty, despite the tight aiming controls
  • Killed a vampire and during the battle the vampire literally disappeared, due to a visual glitch and then glitched back again - buggy fight
  • AI is generally awful
  • A lot of the initial interesting aesthetic starts to look blander the more you play - it all adds to the feeling of a lack of heart and soul feel
  • Navigating the settings menu is very clunky
So not as terrible as I expected. But I'd say a 6 out of 10 at most based on my time with it would seem about right. Make no mistake, this is an awful first party title. But taken on its own, its maybe a mediocre time filler if you literally had nothing else to play. But why would you play this instead of all the other great games you could be playing....

DaGwaphics

@lh032 looks like the 24hr peak for it is 56x your estimate.

Kind of makes me regret playing it early on, it's not a game I can see myself running though again but these improvements should make the experience better for sure. That classic situation of do I play it early and take part in the discussion about the game when it is current or wait and play the better version. Pros and cons. The game actually has a decent story to it and likely could have been a really intriguing game if it hadn't started life as a F2P style GaaS. For those that haven't given it a shot, now seems like as good a time as any. It won't be a GoTY contender for you, but is fun for a quick play-through.

@ King Dazzar King Dazzar some of the vampires can teleport around to avoid being killed. Is that what you are talking about there or just a visual glitch?

Last edited:

Roberts

Not sure about the Far Cry comparison, but it's definitely not a bad game.
Perhaps a bit simplistic comparison as there are shit-ton of things you can't do in RF (like driving, flying, no animals and so on), but that is the first thing that popped into my head. Both open world shooters with somewhat comparable shooting mechanics, both have AI factions fighting against each other in the background, both have zones that you have to liberate by taking over outposts/nests. I mean, it is clearly using Farcry as an inspiration. Thing that works for me in RF is that the world is more compact and it (so far) feels like it is nicely handcrafted with unique settings and building so you get a better sense of geography.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yeah, I'm definitely getting back to it after Mirage.

And as others have said, kinda glad I didn't sully my experience when the game first came out.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
So I put another 4 hours into this again last night and my opinions really haven't changed much. The gamepad controls are the most massively improved thing in the game.

I'm generally having fun co-oping this with my wife since the shooting and gameplay loop is mindless, and I'd say the game is at least worth a download.

Stupid details like car windows not breaking and unskippable in-game "cut-scenes" are annoying, but the game looks really nice and I haven't encountered and major FPS issues on Series X.

I hate that some achievements don't unlock if you are playing in someone else's world. I really don't plan on playing this a second time solo to do that stuff.

Rockman33

I started this after the newest patch. I am about 10 hours in so far and think it’s a solid 7.5/10. Not great but way more fun to play than expected after all the mass negativity.

King Dazzar

@ King Dazzar King Dazzar some of the vampires can teleport around to avoid being killed. Is that what you are talking about there or just a visual glitch?
No I dont believe so mate, visual glitch. He zoomed about a bit and then teleported and then when I got him right in front of me. I stabbed him and he glitched through the floor and my aim was briefly forced downwards by itself. Then it glitched back and I stabbed it again and it seemed to kind of blow up. To which I just thought, what the fuck just happened there. And then I thought why the hell am I still playing this, 2 minutes later it was uninstalled. It certainly left me with a unique memory!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
DF Direct's segment on this, a full video is coming soon.

TL-DR

- The game's renderer has changed to use reconstruction to reach 4K now (previously it was DRS w/ native pixels).
- 60 FPS seems to be a locked 60 FPS on Series X at least, minus the occasional traversal stutter.
- Traversal stutters are also on PC still.
- However even on PC the performance on same specs has improved up to 50% percent as per Alex.
- A lot of work has been done on the renderer and back-end of the game with this update.
- The launch issue where it could take up to 18 seconds to load textures has been fixed. Shadow loading has also been fixed.
- John "Looks like they've gone back and fixed basically every complaint I had"
- "Massive amount of resources must have gone on this" but DF thinks they should have just delayed the game and shipped it like it is right now.

Last edited:
Will wait for content overhaul.

Don't wanna be done in 10 hrs and get a bare bones experience.

I like their level design and atmosphere. 50 hrs is minimum I expect for a game of this type.

Riky

$MSFT
They've fixed basically everything, it's in a really good state now.
However without online matchmaking it's still going to struggle to gain any traction.
They need to add that.

Roberts

Completed it a couple days ago. It's not a great game and it still has tons of flaws, but something about it kept me want to go back and finish it. Not going to lie, I enjoyed it and if you like stuff like Farcry or play games like Division as a single player game then there is a pretty good chance you will enjoy it. That said, it seems like this is not going to be the last update and they are still working on improving the game...so maybe there is a reason to wait a bit longer.

A few notes on what I think could improve the game:

1) Make sure your actions make a difference. Let's say you clear a neighbourhood by killing the local underboss. Your map says that the area is clear but it doesn't really show in any way. Enemy activity is the same, Vampire nests keep popping up etc.
2) Speaking of Vampire nests. I though they were fun at first but then I realised they just randomly pop up on the map all the time and I basically stopped doing them.
3) Add more weapons. Stuff like crossbows.
4) Redo cutscenes.
5) Record more VA. It's so stupid that there are around 20 historical markers in the game and every time you discover one, Leyla kept on saying the same line. Why even do that if you know people will be annoyed hearing the same shit over and over again.
6) Give more personality to each character. Including NPCs: it's super lazy when most of them just say:"hmm" when you talk to them.
7) Make sure that Burial Ground is not simply a 50% bigger repeat of Redfall Commons content-wise. Make me do shit I haven't already done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom