• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime WSJ Interview: Amiibos & Skylanders, Wii U Sales, future plans

Turning around and treating Mario Maker as a AAA manor release.

I think people are underestimating Mario Maker. I could see it becoming a sales phenomenon
if the Wii U userbase wasn't so small.

But yeah it's the most excited I've been about a Mario game since Galaxy.

I think people are underestimating Mario Maker. I could see it becoming a sales phenomenon
if the Wii U userbase wasn't so small.

But yeah it's the most excited I've been about a Mario game since Galaxy.

Oh I'm buying it day 1, but I'm getting massive "Animal Crossing: City Folk IS our big game for the hardcore!!!" vibes from this year's E3. Smaller projects inflated to the stratosphere by Nintnedo because they don't seem to have anything else to hype.

Glass Joe

"It's actually doing better" is a pretty clear and wrong statement. It's actually doing worse than the Playstation 4 and Vita and even the lifetime performance is behind the two other hardware plattforms.

| WIU | 16.413 | 21.169 | 12.249 | 249.592 | 265.451 | 2.393.172
| PSV # | 11.363 | 11.439 | 14.735 | 464.513 | 608.197 | 3.988.440
| PS4 | 10.822 | 11.763 | 8.395 | 552.804 | 605.551 | 1.523.471

Bolded are lifetime sales in Japan for the Wii U and PS4. I wouldn't use the term "actually doing better," but I would say that the Wii U has sold more than PS4, since it has.

KingBroly

Banned
Oh I'm buying it day 1, but I'm getting massive "Animal Crossing: City Folk IS our big game for the hardcore!!!" vibes from this year's E3. Smaller projects inflated to the stratosphere by Nintnedo because they don't seem to have anything else to hype.

At least we have Star Fox and Xenoblade Chronicles X coming before Christmas too. 2008's core game being City Folk was demoralizing.

Pandy

He doesn't say that NX is the home console. But we do know he's making another one.
This.
They've previously confirmed that they are working on another handheld AND another home console.

They haven't confirmed whether NX qualifies as either one.

Dranakin

I'm very confused by this disagreement on whether the Wii U has sold more than the PS4 in Japan at this point in time. Either it has, or it hasn't. How are some claiming that the PS4 has outsold the Wii U 2:1 in Japan while others are posting completely different lifetime sales figures? Which is it?

Glass Joe

This.
They've previously confirmed that they are working on another handheld AND another home console.

They haven't confirmed whether NX qualifies as either one.

Well, *we* need to call it something and it appears pretty clear to me that NX is their next "platform" that consists of a handheld and console (with other form factors under consideration). It is different than QoL and Nintendo's not gonna be doing yet another thing on top of that, so it's pretty safe to call this NX, I'd think.

I'm very confused by this disagreement on whether the Wii U has sold more than the PS4 in Japan at this point in time. Either it has, or it hasn't. How are some claiming that the PS4 has outsold the Wii U 2:1 in Japan while others are posting completely different lifetime sales figures? Which is it?

It's utterly silly. PS4 is selling better Year To Date and certainly has more momentum (despite the Wii U outselling it the past few weeks). However, the Wii U has sold more life-to-date, largely in part to a significant head start. One "doing better" than the other is a matter of perspective and timeframe.

FZZ

Banned

One is year to date, the other is life to date.

Currently this year PS4 & Vita have outsold the Wii U. When looking at lifetime sales; however, Wii U is ahead of PS4 and behind Vita.

Also one poster was confused and said Wii U has been selling better than PS4 & Vita forever, even though it only has for the past 3 weeks specifically after the release of Splatoon.

| WIU | 16.413 | 21.169 | 12.249 | 249.592 | 265.451 | 2.393.172
| PSV # | 11.363 | 11.439 | 14.735 | 464.513 | 608.197 | 3.988.440
| PS4 | 10.822 | 11.763 | 8.395 | 552.804 | 605.551 | 1.523.471

Bolded are lifetime sales in Japan for the Wii U and PS4. I wouldn't use the term "actually doing better," but I would say that the Wii U has sold more than PS4, since it has.

"The only reason why the WiiU is still ahead of the PS4 is because its headstart" would destroy the quoted statement that the WiiU is actually selling better than PS4 (and Vita!) and Reggie's point in OP.

"The time frame that these systems are sold is quite long, and right now we’re still at the very early stages of the current generation"

This is true of the XB1 and PS4... Wii U not so much.

I interpret this as him saying that NX can come out next year and be replaced at the same time as XB1 and PS4 down the line. Because those boxes have such long life spans.

That should appease the vocal "Nintendo should compete directly with MS/Sony" crowd here on GAF.

Pandy

Well, *we* need to call it something and it appears pretty clear to me that NX is their next "platform" that consists of a handheld and console (with other form factors under consideration). It is different than QoL and Nintendo's not gonna be doing yet another thing on top of that, so it's pretty safe to call this NX, I'd think.

You might think that, but the OP is calling the quote confirmation, which is nothing but bullshit.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It's doing better than the PS4 still, but not the Vita.

...You didn't go the MC threads for just this week and see it in 2nd and make that statement right???

lol that reminds me of when the Vita was ahead of the 3DS for a week or two last year, and we saw "Well the Vita is outselling the 3DS in Japan" repeatedly.

don't do that pls.

You're probably the only one who caught what I was doing there ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Glass Joe

"The only reason why the WiiU is still ahead of the PS4 is because its headstart" would destroy the quoted statement that the WiiU is actually selling better than PS4 (and Vita!) and Reggie's point in OP.

No, it wouldn't. It's just semantics. See my previous post because I'm not getting sucked into this any further.

Dranakin

One is year to date, the other is life to date.

Currently this year PS4 & Vita have outsold the Wii U. When looking at lifetime sales; however, Wii U is ahead of PS4 and behind Vita.

Also one poster was confused and said Wii U has been selling better than PS4 & Vita forever, even though it only has for the past 3 weeks specifically after the release of Splatoon.

Why would anyone base their argument on year-to-date sales without that qualifier? Yes, the Wii U was out first, but given that it's in the same console generation, until the PS4 beats its lifetime sales figures, you can only claim that the Wii U has outsold the PS4 in Japan (unless you specifically say "in 2015..."). There are physically more Wii U consoles in households than PS4s. Am I missing something?

iBlue

I dont think Nintendo has a strong presence in Europe(france and germany imo) Europe is Sony territory. Reggie DONT FUCK the NX please

Mononoke

Banned
I feel torn. I was kind of hoping it would be a handheld, that also acted as a home console. That was probably an unrealistic dream. How do you have a handheld that is that powerful, and keeps the cost down. But I still hoped they would have some kind of hook, to solve their two platform problem.

Now we have to hope their overhaul of the E-shop as well as unifying everything, will possibly solve those issues. And when they do put out the successor to 3DS, they make it so content between both the NX and the new thing, work across each other (like iPhone to iPad).

If this is just another system with good specs, I'm not sure I will be buying.

I interpret this as him saying that NX can come out next year and be replaced at the same time as XB1 and PS4 down the line. Because those boxes have such long life spans.

I did read that quote that way too.

I feel torn. I was kind of hoping it would be a handheld, that also acted as a home console. That was probably an unrealistic dream. How do you have a handheld that is that powerful, and keeps the cost down.
It would also eat battery like candies

I'm with you... i've grown to despise that guy, he lives in la-la-land.

Guys, he is an executive of the fucking company. Press ask him questions, he spins neutral answers. It's his fucking job.

He isn't forcing you people to swallow what he says, but he is being forced to answer these questions. Stop reading into every word he says

No, it wouldn't. It's just semantics. See my previous post because I'm not getting sucked into this any further.

Playstation 4 outsold the WiiU in 2014 and the first half of 2015.

"Acutally selling better" is plain wrong. There is inded not much to talk about it.

I dont think Nintendo has a strong presence in Europe(france and germany imo) Europe is Sony territory. Reggie DONT FUCK the NX please

NoE is a hollow wasteland. Has absolute no say and no autonomy to handle the European market and Iwata, who NoE needs to report directly and to whatever he says, just give the middle finger to this continent, which is stupid.

Number_6

People seem to be strangely invested in the NX not being a home console, to the point where they come up with some convoluted logic to prove it to themselves. I can't figure out why.

Reggie didn't actually confirm what OP claims. He doesn't even mention NX in the cited article. Another cited quote also mentions a new home console without naming NX.

Just because people point out that the OP isn't exactly true does not 'prove' that NX isn't a home console. It just shows that OP's statement isn't true on its face. Reggie didn't mention NX in the cited article. So he did not "confirm" that NX is a home console. Period.

The thread title and OP is a worse spin than Reggie's Wii U vs PS4 numbers.

Glass Joe

I feel torn. I was kind of hoping it would be a handheld, that also acted as a home console. That was probably an unrealistic dream. How do you have a handheld that is that powerful, and keeps the cost down. But I still hoped they would have some kind of hook, to solve their two platform problem.

Now we have to hope their overhaul of the E-shop as well as unifying everything, will possibly solve those issues. And when they do put out the successor to 3DS, they make it so content between both the NX and the new thing, work across each other (like iPhone to iPad).

If this is just another system with good specs, I'm not sure I will be buying.

Well, a smaller screen wouldn't necessarily have to be HD. In fact, with Nintendo, it likely wouldn't, to keep costs down. It also wouldn't have to be dual-screen this time, since that set-up could be used for the console/home pairing. More demanding games could remain console exclusive, but most software could be compatible with both...

If I think about the 3DS library and games like Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus Uprising, this time around they could just make the game for portables like normal, but with HD assets the console could take advantage of.

"Acutally selling better" is plain wrong. There is inded not much to talk about it.

Funny that I didn't say "actually selling better," and specifically noted that I would have personally avoided using that phrase. But you continue to argue about it like I'm tryin' to say it. "It has sold more," however.

Mononoke

Banned
I did read that quote that way too.

It would also eat battery like candies

Yeah, battery would be awful. In my mind, I thought the screen would be lower quality like 3DS, and the same would be scaled down. Then when you use it as a home console, it could be scaled up to HD.

But I don't know how tech like that works, or if that is even possible. It was always a dream I had, but because I'm ignorant on the subject, I just assumed that it wasn't possible anyways, and I was being silly. I guess what I'm saying is, I just hope this isn't a new console with good specs, and they REALLY try and show they have a solution for their current two party platform woes. I know their talk about unification, and cross play between their home console and handheld, seems to be the direction they are going.

But I assume that would also require us to wait for the successor of the 3DS to come out (for cross play to work between the two). So it would still be a tough sell at launch for some, I think.

Zoolader

My guess is that NX stands for nexus and it might be a service that will allow cross play with their new console and handheld.

Crom

Who cares what came out 1st? Even if it matters so much to you then look at how many weeks the PS4 has been out in Japan and align it starting with the Wii U's launch for the same amount of weeks. You will see that the Wii U sold better in that timeframe than the PS4 in Japan. It also has a higher cumulative amount.

Big deal. The Wii U is currently ahead of the PS4 somewhere in lifetime sales. You'll live.

"WHAT ABOUT THE HARLEM HANGOVER?!!"
Wii U
"WHAT ABOUT THE HEATSEEKER?!!"
3DS
"WHAT ABOUT THE TOWER OF INFERNO?!"
NX

I DONT HEAR EM TALKIN BOUT THAT!!!

Funny that I didn't say "actually selling better," and specifically noted that I would have personally avoided using that phrase. But you continue to argue about it like I'm tryin' to say it. "It has sold more," however.

But the post I quoted. If the post talked about total sales then one could have add that the gap is shrinking but it would have lead to a different bunch of replies.

Who cares what came out 1st? Even if it matters so much to you then look at how many weeks the PS4 has been out in Japan and align it starting with the Wii U's launch for the same amount of weeks. You will see that the Wii U sold better in that timeframe than the PS4 in Japan. It also has a higher cumulative amount.

Big deal. The Wii U is currently ahead of the PS4 somewhere in lifetime sales. You'll live.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168973684&postcount=53

RM8

This is awesome news because it means the 3DS will stay for longer :] It'll end up being one of the longest living Nintendo systems. To think GB lived for 9 years (or 12 if you don't count GBC, since GB kept getting major releases) and GBA only 3 years. They can keep 3DS going since no one else is in a hurry to release a next gen handheld, lol.

jholmes

It's utterly silly. PS4 is selling better Year To Date and certainly has more momentum (despite the Wii U outselling it the past few weeks). However, the Wii U has sold more life-to-date, largely in part to a significant head start. One "doing better" than the other is a matter of perspective and timeframe.

I've been reluctant to wade into the debate but PS4 software is not doing hot. Pre-Splatoon when the PS4 was outselling the Wii U, there were weeks where no PS4 games had made the top 40. That's an issue neither the Wii U nor Vita have had as far as I'm aware.

Reggie is doing the best he can. He has to be the corporate mouthpiece to handle alot of criticism while still trying to sell units for the holidays coming up. He knows perfectly well the Wii U sales numbers but as a company they can't outright say they are abandoning it.

I wonder how much influence Nintendo USA has over the decisions of Nintendo Japan? Probably not that much. The reason for the lackluster Nintendo Direct for E3 and the Metroid 3DS game most likely settles on Japan and not the US division which Reggie is in charge of.

If the poster would have said 'well, LTD/launches aligned it's tracking ahead', that would have been appropriate.

Saying 'Its actually doing better than ...' is a statement that implies it's currently outselling the competition. It isn't.

M°°nblade;168986603 said:
If the poster would have said 'well, LTD/launches aligned it's tracking ahead', that would have been appropriate.

Saying 'Its actually doing better than ...' is a statement that implies it's currently outselling the competition. It isn't.

Technically, currently (the last three weeks) it is.

Really? I just thought he goes around making BS PR comments. That's surely the job of NoA President, no, because NCL is calling all the shots?
It is the job or else he wouldnt have one. NCL do make all the shots. Reggie answer so spinfully because he dont care who is asking it. Not really worth his time as if you would get a real answer anyway. For that ask Iwata CEO of Nintendo.

daTRUballin

I'm confused about something. So if Iwata is the CEO of NoA and he calls the shots, what's the point of having Reggie as president of NoA? Isn't the position of a CEO or president pretty much the same thing? Why are these positions separate in NoA?

Feels like their strategy is to put bare minimum on the Wii U to try and occupy players until NX.

But, man, no online for Star Fox and announcing the Animal Crossing Party game...

I bet there won't be online for Mario Tennis unless there was a confirmation.

nightever

The first post is bullshit anyway. WiiU is way less than Vita in Japan, no matter LTD or YTD. Also why should we discuss sales when 3rd party support for WiiU in Japan is deader than vita in the west. Unlike what Reggie hinted, Japan is never the strong point for WiiU.

tbd

Logical. Even if their system sells as bad as the Wii U, eventually they still make some money (attach rate). Unlike some people I don't really see them trying a "hybrid" too soon.

Top Bottom