• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime WSJ Interview: Amiibos & Skylanders, Wii U Sales, future plans

MarkusRJR

wow, worse than the Vita. PS4 is dead.
Handhelds sell more than home consoles in Japan, and Vita actually has games coming out in Japan.

Don't get wrong, all game hardware is selling like shit in Japan right now, but the Vita selling more than PS4 makes sense when you consider the location.

Awful spin and damage control over sales. I know he can't come out and say it's dead but this is reaching a lot. Sure they are a global brand unlike MS not "some companies" but they are still hella weak with the WiiU globally and outside of Japan the 3DS mainly flounders.

Holy shit. Bombs dropped. Zelda NX confirmed. Aaaand go home everybody

Wasn't it confirmed the moment they started getting dodgy about the release date? We all know what's happening here.

I'm not even necessarily unhappy about it. A part of me has been skeptical about the Wii U's ability to run a stable Skyrim type world to the quality Nintendo wants it. It might well be worth upgrading for.

Wasn't it confirmed the moment they started getting dodgy about the release date? We all know what's happening here.

I'm not even necessarily unhappy about it. A part of me has been skeptical about the Wii U's ability to run a stable Skyrim type world to the quality Nintendo wants it. It might well be worth upgrading for.

I still can't see them totally skipping the Wii U after all the promises at this point. If the Wii U's successor comes next year and Zelda is on it I think it will be crossgen.

Arguing over JP sales...Really? lol There all horrible numbers just U is the least horrible (for now). Wii U is horrible every where the fact he even brought up Euro is hilarious. Didn't UK give back their stock?

Mokubba

From a Nintendo perspective, we clearly have strength here in the Americas, we have strength in Europe and we have strength in Japan. That isn’t necessarily true of some of our more direct competitors.

LOL Jeeez

Clefargle

NX is the only platform they've announced, so one can infer that, based on this quote, it at least has a home console component of some kind. Whether or not it turns out to be a "hybrid" like many people have speculated remains to be seen.

No, based on this quote we only know that NX is a console. Not a platform.

Thread title is conjecture. I don't think the OP understands what "confirms" means. Or rather, is more interested in promoting a narrative than being accurate. :p

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
He didn't say anything about NX. He said they are working on their next home console, which they always are. He didn't say it was the NX.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I would recommend you visit the thread before he does because three weeks are not indicative of what has happened in the year so far.

TBF Launch aligned, PS4 is doing worse, so there's no other way you can spin it other than the PS4 is doing worse than Wii U in Japan currently. The facts are the facts.

It's obviously an irrelevant deflection, but there's no point sugar coating PS4's abysmal sales in Japan.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This is awesome news because it means the 3DS will stay for longer :] It'll end up being one of the longest living Nintendo systems. To think GB lived for 9 years (or 12 if you don't count GBC, since GB kept getting major releases) and GBA only 3 years. They can keep 3DS going since no one else is in a hurry to release a next gen handheld, lol.

No one else might be in a hurry to release a next gen handheld, but Nintendo might be in a hurry to release one in order to ensure the market does not completely collapse. They need to have a strong handheld, not one that is the market leader just because there is no other one.

Jessmo111

Banned
Nintendo had an "upward tick" the past couple of years. More constant and frequent high quality first party titles, some price drops, etc. meant that they were turning it around.

Then this E3 came and I don't know what the fuck happened to Nintendo. It's like we're back to looking at their 2010 selves, just doing jack shit and not giving a fuck about covering anything that might be intriguing. Spin offs out the ass. The first real look at star fox was underwhelming. Metroid fans get slapped in the face. Turning around and treating Mario Maker as a AAA manor release. And just the general slap in the face that Nintendo has, in fact, abandoned the console after 2.5 years.

It came out of nowhere. It's like Splatoon came out and they COMPLETELY ran out of steam. Many of us are getting whiplash.

Can you imagine, how 1 simple Metroid prime trailer, or a Bayo 3 trailer, or even zelda would have went over. They could have won e3 easy. Man give platnum zero suit samus, and let them make a sexy 3rd person Metroid spin off. ANY thing!

Lol at being proud of doing better than Microsoft in Japan.

image.php

Isn't Xenoblade Chronicles X all the proof we need that Wii u can run a large open world game just fine? And skyrim itself ran on ps360 with less than half the Wii U's RAM.

120v

it's a pretty laughable quote ... but what is he supposed to say? "yeah... my bad. but hey you'll get starfox and amiibos to ride things out and hopefully we'll get it right next time"

once wii U is officially out of the picture they'll be more open with "what went wrong", as they did with n64 and gcn

Calamari41

41 > 38
What an absolutely worthless post.

Ok man, I'm not sure why you're being so antagonistic in this thread, but I'll go ahead and do the Google search for you.

Satoru Iwata said:
Currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor.

The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Satoru Iwata said:
I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.

The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

A common architecture and a common operating system allowing for ease of development across platforms, in the same way ios and Android work today. Specifically, in that last underlined section, they want to move away from the necessity to develop games for different platforms individually.

You asked why "this unified nonsense" was being talked about on the internet. Well, it's because of these quotes from Iwata.

All company leadership say stuff like this. It's their job to paint a positive image of the company, even in the face of a poor situation.

Iwata's much more humble in comparison. I don't think I remember ever seeing Reggie apologize for anything.

LAA

And of course amiibos arent compatible with the skylanders and you would need to buy "Special" bowser/DK figures for us in skylanders.
Just pretty sad, what amiibo was seeming to be is just not the case now. Amiibos arent having value across several games, just a new figure is released which has use in newer games. I think after the few amiibo I'm interested in left for SSB are done, I'm done too.

Tobor

Because it came straight out of Iwata's mouth at two different investor meetings.

I'm not going to pull up the quotes for the 50th time, for the 50th different poster who tried to deny what he said to his investors. I suggest you look them up if you're actually interested in what he said.

If you want to make an argument that NX isn't a hybrid, there are plenty of good ways to go about it.
"Because Iwata said so" isn't one of them.

Iwata says all kinds of bullshit, including to investors. Remember when he vowed that Nintendo would never make mobile software? Exactly.

Calamari41

41 > 38
If you want to make an argument that NX isn't a hybrid, there are plenty of good ways to go about it.
"Because Iwata said so" isn't one of them.

Iwata says all kinds of bullshit, including to investors. Remember when he vowed that Nintendo would never make mobile software? Exactly.

Seriously? Look up three posts.

Obviously he could end up not pulling the trigger on the idea, just like he ended up pulling the trigger in the end on mobile development. My response was to someone who was acting like people were pulling the very idea out of their asses.

Vena

Nintendo had an "upward tick" the past couple of years. More constant and frequent high quality first party titles, some price drops, etc. meant that they were turning it around.

Then this E3 came and I don't know what the fuck happened to Nintendo. It's like we're back to looking at their 2010 selves, just doing jack shit and not giving a fuck about covering anything that might be intriguing. Spin offs out the ass. The first real look at star fox was underwhelming. Metroid fans get slapped in the face. Turning around and treating Mario Maker as a AAA manor release. And just the general slap in the face that Nintendo has, in fact, abandoned the console after 2.5 years.

It came out of nowhere. It's like Splatoon came out and they COMPLETELY ran out of steam. Many of us are getting whiplash.

Upward tick is still there thanks to Treehouse and NWC.

Its a wonder how E3 isn't actually just a 45 min showing... who'd have thought it. You're only getting whiplash because you were looking for it and chose to ignore everything that went perfectly right with E3 (NWC, Treehouse).

Tobor

Seriously? Look up three posts.

Obviously he could end up not pulling the trigger on the idea, just like he ended up pulling the trigger in the end on mobile development. My response was to someone who was acting like people were pulling the very idea out of their asses.

I've read that. He covers his butt right here:

Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

Hardly definitive.

Look, I think we're headed for a handheld and console that run the same software as well, but my point still stands. Using an Iwata quote to prove your point is a bad idea.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I've read that. He covers his butt right here:

Hardly definitive.

Look, I think we're headed for a handheld and console that run the same software as well, but my point still stands. Using an Iwata quote to prove your point is a bad idea.

My point isn't that we are guaranteed a bunch of different devices running on this common OS/architecture setup.

My point is that, yes, Iwata mentioned the setup at all.

Again, I was responding to someone who flat out said that Iwata did not say these things to his investors, which I quoted above. That is what I am arguing. I'm not making wall of shame predictions as to what Nintendo will do.

Edit: This is the conversation that caused me to quote Iwata:

I think by "unified platform" he just means that there will be both a console and a handheld version. In theory the console NX could fail while the portable NX sells gangbusters, meaning they'd still have a 3DS-like device to fall back on.

An unified concept would hold down the portable and console version.

Not sure why that nonsesne is a thing around the internet.

Because it came straight out of Iwata's mouth at two different investor meetings.

No, he didn't. He even talk about porting between different plattforms.

Nowhere did I guarantee that what he said will come to pass. I, in fact, always make sure when predicting things based on it to preface my comments with "if the common OS/architecture strategy is implemented."

Top Bottom