• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

azyless

wow, they're going all "on the go" with that thing. I take it there will be an automatically connect switch with internet over phone option as well in that app. Could be nice. Could finally make Network Companies make the switch to "no more roaming".
Smart imo.
I'm not in a country that does this really, but if carriers usually charge you for data tethering from your phone, I can't see how Nintendo could get away with it. Last I heard Apple didn't even allow tethering apps on the app store.

I still don't get why this functionality isn't duplicated on switch itself since having app like this in addition to normal way would be quite interesting.

Cynar

Right, but I'm saying it is far more underpowered than the PS4 and Xbox One and they want to get multi platform games and have to scrounge for every cycle hey can.

The Vita was never trying to get console multi platform ports like the Switch will be.
Okay, let's go back a gen to ps3, 360. They had voice chat on console. How about the ps2? Oh you only want to choose portables? The DS had voice chat in diamond and Pearl. Please just stop denying it.

ryanofcall

I'm not in a country that does this really, but if carriers usually charge you for data tethering from your phone, I can't see how Nintendo could get away with it. Last I heard Apple didn't even allow tethering apps on the app store.

no I mean roaming, not tethering. Swiss network companies are discussing sollutions with other countries' companies to make internet free abroad as well :) It's surely aiming high. but could work out great for nintendo on the long shot! Because if that happens, they're one step ahead of the others.
but yeah it's just a thought. really just trying to understand the idea behind it

again, the games probably will have voice chat native and reggie is talking about a party feature

That... seems entirely possible. I could see Nintendo keeping party chat away from being an OS-level feature to ensure more RAM is available for games. Hopefully they can clarify that fairly soon.

ronin_cse

Neo Member
Right, but I'm saying it is far more underpowered than the PS4 and Xbox One and they want to get multi platform games and have to scrounge for every cycle hey can.

The Vita was never trying to get console multi platform ports like the Switch will be.

There is absolutely no way what so ever that the system couldn't run a voice/chat app in the background. We're talking almost no cpu use and absolutely minuscule amounts of RAM needed. There is simply no excuse as far as performance goes.

This was the straw for me. I canceled my preorder. I just don't understand what is going on with this console. I'm going to wait and see how things have settled by holiday. Dang, Nintendo...you had my money. I was in the door. What the hell is going on?

azyless

no I mean roaming, not tethering. Swiss network companies are discussing sollutions with other countries' companies to make internet free abroad as well :) It's surely aiming high. but could work out great for nintendo on the long shot! Because if that happens, they're one step ahead of the others.
but yeah it's just a thought. really just trying to understand the idea behind it
You said this :
I take it there will be an automatically connect switch with internet over phone option as well in that app
That's tethering. I'm not sure what else you could mean.

That... seems entirely possible. I could see Nintendo keeping party chat away from being an OS-level feature to ensure more RAM is available for games. Hopefully they can clarify that fairly soon.

This is really the only possible conclusion we can draw given the info that's out there. There will be online games on the Switch before the smartphone app launches. So... how would those games work if you need the app for any sort of online multplayer functionality?

It makes far, far more sense that this is solely regarding OS-level online multiplayer functions. Which is not to say it's a good idea, but it's not what most people are thinking.

so you voice chat with pubs on the console and with friends on your phone? that's even dumber than just having all the voice chat on the phone

You will likely have all the same voice chat functionality the Wii U had for games like MK8, but not at the OS level without this app.

TS-08

again, the games probably will have voice chat native and reggie is talking about a party feature

Every shred of evidence available suggests that chat will be available only through the app. It's always possible that Nintendo will find a way to reverse on this, but there's no reason right now to assume the app is only used for party chat rather than simply being the voice chat mechanism for the system.

Every shred of evidence available suggests that chat will be available only through the app. It's always possible that Nintendo will find a way to reverse on this, but there's no reason right now to assume the app is only used for party chat rather than simply being the voice chat mechanism for the system.

You may be right about chat I suppose.

No headphone jack on the controllers though.

Bluetooth? There's a headphone jack on the Switch with microphone capabilities.

I've explained this literally a dozen times in this thread so I'll save the full spiel, but RAM is literally a non-issue here.

guek

Banned

"Every shred of evidence" being a single vague statement from Reggie

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
All of this is freaking insane. A partner app would be great, but throwing out all multiplayer related UI and base level mechanics to a phone app is absolutely crazy.

I really hope this is some weird misunderstanding, but yeah, it might as well be Nintendo in full crazy mode.

TunaLover

Even if the app is available nothing stop developers to create its own lobby system with voice chat included + headset (?), per game.

Could be but I'm not holding my breath. And MK8 voice chat was hardly something to write home about lol.

I won't argue with that, but the fact of the matter is this is all that was possible on the Wii U. It's very unlikely that they have actually removed functionality like this from games such as MK8. Rather, it seems they have tried to add this OS-level functionality but done so via a smartphone app instead of on the system itself.

Which is stupid. Very stupid. But not as bad as what some people seem to be thinking.

My question is for those who disagree with this (I'm in the "I don't care cause I never use this stuff anyway crowd), why are you getting so angry at those who like this or are ok with using this app? Jeeze, calling them dumb, stupid, flinging fuck around. Why does that make you so mad? Honestly curious.

It's a weird divide in this hobby where everyone has to like the thing that you like otherwise it's shit and you are fucking stupid for liking it.

Kaiken

Banned
What would the twitter hashtag campaign be?

#DoNotSwitch
#NintendoCompanionAppOnly
#SwitchVoiceChat
#NoJoyConInMobileApp
#LeaveBulkyHeadsetsAlone

lenovox1

I still can't tell if the public is really going to hate this.

I would like to reserve my hate until the app actually launches.

Nintendo doesn't have a good track record with online services, but all of this (including the separate app) is likely due to their partnership with DeNA. We'll see what comes of it.

Sean

Banned

Let's be honest though, Switch isn't gonna be getting any graphically intensive multi-platform games from PS4/Xbone where developers are trying to squeeze out every CPU cycle or whatever. For the most part it will get PS3/360 ports, if Nintendo is lucky enough to even get those. The Switch is releasing in a time frame when developers have already started phasing out PS3/360 versions for the most part (Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Call of Duty all stopped making last-gen versions for example.)

Dreamcast did voice chat with 16mb total system RAM.
PS2 had voice chat with 32mb of total system RAM.
Original Xbox had 64mb of total system RAM and did voice chat perfectly fine.
Xbox 360 did voice chat and parties with 32mb RAM for their entire OS.
PSP supported voice chat with 32mb of total system RAM.
etc etc

This stuff takes up very minimal resources.

LoveCake

I just feel bad for Nintendo now. All the details coming out for the Switch just sound so horrible.

I am now feeling the same in regards to how I feel about Nintendo, if this app is the only way then I just don't know what to say, have they just decided that the usual way for matchmaking and other social aspects of consoles or do they really not know, I cannot believe the latter, I did read at the time,
At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them?

Nintendo have been so very poor in providing information about the Switch.

XandBosch

I still can't tell if the public is really going to hate this.

The online thing or the console itself? The form function of the console to me is still enough to sell itself. It's already WAY better than the Wii U, easier to explain, etc. Has a big Zelda at launch, etc. People will buy it for that and the prospect of playing games on the go, it's the new handheld (despite what some may think). I'm talking strictly like "casual gamers" here.

The online thing isn't going to be something that's on the box, you know? Or in the commercial. It'll be something they figure out after and just won't bother with.

That's what I think anyway.

I wonder what would be a good hashtag to bring this to nintendos attention? I remember the barrage on ms after the xbone reveal was absolutely savage

Edit:beaten like Nintendo in the console wars

guek

Banned
Could be but I'm not holding my breath. And MK8 voice chat was hardly something to write home about lol.

Several actually.

Ok, several vague statements.

Whatever, man. Not giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt when it comes to online offerings is understandable but I still feel the board is choking on hyperbole right now. As annoying as that is, I blame Nintendo for their shit messaging.

This wasn't a misguided attempt at parental controls. They already have a parental controls app and the easiest way to keep kids from not using a paid online service with voice chat is... not paying for the service.

This is a seriously misguided attempt at intentionally being different for the sake of it, compounded by Nintendo refusing to research the opposition once again.

My question is for those who disagree with this (I'm in the "I don't care cause I never use this stuff anyway crowd), why are you getting so angry at those who like this or are ok with using this app? Jeeze, calling them dumb, stupid, flinging fuck around. Why does that make you so mad? Honestly curious.

No one should be calling anyone else dumb or stupid, but the anger stems from a perceived lack of empathy. Let's be clear. I don't think anyone is angry at anyone who merely doesn't have a problem with this. They are "angry" (I think angry might even be too strong a word) with people who have no problem with this and can't imagine why anyone else would. It is a general lack of understanding for situations different from their own and a general "Who cares. Works for me" attitude that puts people off. This is specifically because even if someone else preferred the phone option, they would still have that option if others were served with the basic standard we've come accustomed, and arguably most "elegant" option, which is to also be able to handle this on the actual system itself.

koss424

I still don't get why this functionality isn't duplicated on switch itself since having app like this in addition to normal way would be quite interesting.

What's confuses me is that Reggie and the website is clear that chat/lobby is going to be a 3rdparty app service and doesn't mention anything about in-system service.

But why are Switch specific gaming headsets available now as accessories? They can't be made and marketed for no reason can they?

TS-08

Whatever, man. Not giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt when it comes to online offerings is understandable but I still feel the board is choking on hyperbole right now. As annoying as that is, I blame Nintendo for their shit messaging.

How much clearer could Reggie's answer to ProJared be? How much clearer could the Splatoon web page be?

Okay, just in case anyone was still wondering, Nintendo's very own website confirms that you can add and manage your friends list on the Switch console itself:

q4raZec.png

You'll notice that the two apps get their own little row, so this isn't something you'll need the app for. So:

A) This means there will be some sort of messaging system on the console

B) This means there is no reason individual games (like MK8) can't let you play with friends in the exact same was as was done on the Wii U

Moneal

What's confuses me is that Reggie and the website is clear that chat/lobby is going to be a 3rdparty app service and doesn't mention anything about in-system service.

But why are Switch specific gaming headsets available now as accessories? They can't be made and marketed for no reason can they?
They are all third party right? Maybe they didn't get the message that its through your phone .

guek

Banned
How much clearer could Reggie's answer to ProJared be? How much clearer could the Splatoon web page be?

A lot more clear since we haven't actually seen this app, how it works independently, or how it works in conjunction with the console

TS-08

A lot more clear since we haven't actually seen this app, how it works independently, or how it works in conjunction with the console

This is just you requiring an unreasonably high standard of proof. The statements are clear.

If thats the case then people need to be loud and assume the worst about this until they clarify. Launch isn't that far away and people are being expected to preorder.

Sponge

Banned
Okay, just in case anyone was still wondering, Nintendo's very own website confirms that you can add and manage your friends list on the Switch console itself:

q4raZec.png

You'll notice that the two apps get their own little row, so this isn't something you'll need the app for. So:

A) This means there will be some sort of messaging system on the console

B) This means there is no reason individual games (like MK8) can't let you play with friends in the exact same was as was done on the Wii U

This is great news to me.

Crayon

I would like to reserve my hate until the app actually launches.

Nintendo doesn't have a good track record with online services, but all of this (including the separate app) is likely due to their partnership with DeNA. We'll see what comes of it.

Yeah I wasn't exactly expecting nintendo to catch up point for point with online stuff. I wasn't expecting a fee either buts that's another matter.

The online thing or the console itself? The form function of the console to me is still enough to sell itself. It's already WAY better than the Wii U, easier to explain, etc. Has a big Zelda at launch, etc. People will buy it for that and the prospect of playing games on the go, it's the new handheld (despite what some may think). I'm talking strictly like "casual gamers" here.

The online thing isn't going to be something that's on the box, you know? Or in the commercial. It'll be something they figure out after and just won't bother with.

That's what I think anyway.

I mean the app specifically. I don't see general buyers being so horrified at the idea. If the app sucks then yeah. But the idea itself may just be met with minor grumbling at worst. The reaction her is obviously exaggerated but by how much? Maybe this could really put the average user off. Maybe maybe not.

guek

Banned
This is just you requiring an unreasonably high standard of proof. The statements are clear.

OK buddy, if you say so. Sorry it upsets you so much that I'd rather wait to see a product before outright condemning it.

If thats the case then people need to be loud and assume the worst about this until they clarify. Launch isn't that far away and people are being expected to preorder.

Yeah. That's why I said I blame Nintendo. The Switch reveal has not been all negatives like people are saying but this type of shit is poison for enthusiasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom