• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, several vague statements.

Whatever, man. Not giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt when it comes to online offerings is understandable but I still feel the board is choking on hyperbole right now. As annoying as that is, I blame Nintendo for their shit messaging.

Unfortunately sustained screeching is just about the only way for a company to actually listen to their consumers these days.

People everywhere were running up and down shouting " hyperbole!" when everyone was having a fit over the original X Box One reveal, and nobody would say that was unwarranted today.

So a headset being bulky and unwieldly is Reggies concern? Yet having to juggle multiple expensive devices and split my attention between multiple screens to get into a game isn't an issue?

What'swrongeithyou.gif

Moneal

Okay, just in case anyone was still wondering, Nintendo's very own website confirms that you can add and manage your friends list on the Switch console itself:

You'll notice that the two apps get their own little row, so this isn't something you'll need the app for. So:

A) This means there will be some sort of messaging system on the console

B) This means there is no reason individual games (like MK8) can't let you play with friends in the exact same was as was done on the Wii U
Why does that mean it has a messaging system? It says registering and managing friends. As in adding and removing.

Okay, just in case anyone was still wondering, Nintendo's very own website confirms that you can add and manage your friends list on the Switch console itself:

q4raZec.png

You'll notice that the two apps get their own little row, so this isn't something you'll need the app for. So:

B) This means there is no reason individual games (like MK8) can't let you play with friends in the exact same was as was done on the Wii U
Interesting and good find.

What really sucks is I use my phone for a mobile hotspot for my online gaming and to get the best signal I have to put it in the window across my room so i can get like 3 bars and not lag to bad. Sooo i cant see me using this app because if i move the phone to where i play my ping for online games will jump into the 200ms which blows lol.

TS-08

OK buddy, if you say so. Sorry it upsets you so much that I'd rather wait to see a product before outright condemning it.

Yeah. That's why I said I blame Nintendo. The Switch reveal has not been all negatives like people are saying but this type of shit is poison for enthusiasts.

No one is asking you to condemn it, pal. Just don't lie about it, friend.

Crayon

So a headset being bulky and unwieldly is Reggies concern? Yet having to juggle multiple expensive devices and split my attention between multiple screens to get into a game isn't an issue?

What'swrongeithyou.gif

Forced to learn to juggle.

$2800 for clown school. Hidden cost.

guek

Banned
Unfortunately sustained screeching is just about the only way for a company to actually listen to their consumers these days.

People everywhere were running up and down shouting " hyperbole!" when everyone was having a fit over the original X Box One reveal, and nobody would say that was unwarranted today.

Perhaps you're right. Maybe the ends justify the means. The problem here is twofold though since part of the issue is that they're talking about this app like it's the crux of their entire online experience but are refusing to actually show the damn thing or how it works.

Also, I can still be annoyed by the hyperbole and screeching even if it's the only real option to get Nintendo's attention >_<

Why does that mean it has a messaging system? It says registering and managing friends. As in adding and removing.

Managing inherently requires a friends list. I don't honestly see what the point of even having a list is if you don't have the ability to message friends on the list... do you?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

http://i.imgur.com/q4raZec.png

Both A & B are just guesses. Just because you can manage and add friends doesn't mean you can message them from the Switch itself. And seriously "no reason?" Have you met Nintendo, just because they have done it in the past, doesn't mean they are going to do it now.

nOoblet16

This shows that you can spin anything to look like it's doing something good and solving a problem that no one had. The bukly gamer headset argument doesn't make sense when you could use the same small headphones on switch, then again switch probably doesn't have a 3.5mm jack.

But why do matchmaking via phone and not through console itself, what's the argument against that?

notaskwid

q4raZec.png

Nowhere here is saying that this is done through the console, according to Regi it's done through the app.

XandBosch

Yeah I wasn't exactly expecting nintendo to catch up point for point with online stuff. I wasn't expecting a fee either buts that's another matter.

I mean the app specifically. I don't see general buyers being so horrified at the idea. If the app sucks then yeah. But the idea itself may just be met with minor grumbling at worst. The reaction her is obviously exaggerated but by how much? Maybe this could really put the average user off. Maybe maybe not.

Agreed.

Managing inherently requires a friends list. I don't honestly see what the point of even having a list is if you don't have the ability to message friends on the list... do you?
I don't see the point in a console made after 2006 not having integrated party chat and yet here we are.

It's entirely possible these free features still require the app.

Was there ever a good time for windows phone users?
It definitely used to be better. I think there was a slight momentum in 2013/2014 that was completely fumbled by MS and Nokia. I was a WP user from then until mid 2016 when I came back to Android...was sad to leave WP behind because it had a lot of potential, but I couldn't keep waiting for new phones and apps that were clearly never coming. It's much worse now than it was previously.

Anyway, this is off topic.

Both A & B are just guesses. Just because you can manage and add friends doesn't mean you can message them from the Switch itself. And seriously "no reason?" Have you met Nintendo, just because they have done it in the past, doesn't mean they are going to do it now.

Nothing Reggie has said has suggested that you can't play online with friends without this app. He specifically says the app is for party chat, lobbies, and private matchmaking. Those are all typically OS level functions. Nothing he has said suggests that game level functions like those in MK8 will be unavailable.

Nowhere here is saying that this is done through the console, according to Regi it's done through the app.

I don't see the point in a console made after 2006 not having integrated party chat and yet here we are.

It's entirely possible these free features still require the app.

Read the rest of the page. Other bullets on the page list "Online Lobby and Voice chat app" and "Access to Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app". The friends bullet would not make sense being separated from those two if it required the above app.

notaskwid

Reggie Fils-Aime said:
The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby.

I choose to believe him.

D i Z

q4raZec.png

No, that means you can add and remove friends. Maybe if lucky create a list (unlikely).
You'd have to have this feature on the console to add randoms that you meet that you would like to add since you won't have any other way to do it.
This in no way shape or form indicates any method of communication other than managing requests.

q4raZec.png

Where does it say any of that is done through the console? It just says that you don't need to pay to register and manage friends.

So does this mean joining an online match in Splatoon 2 will require the phone? Or do we know too little to answer that?

As far as I know we're just going off the Reggie quote so far. We know matchmaking and lobbies are part of the app, we just don't know if they'll be on the console too. Which seems to be an important point that should be clarified but thats nintendo for you.

samn

what, so i'll have to hold the phone to my ear to chat?

Or is it like a speakerphone? If so, then why not do voice chat through the Switch handset itself, if you're 'on the go'?

hiim_haz

Banned
what, so i'll have to hold the phone to my ear to chat?

Or is it like a speakerphone? If so, then why not do voice chat through the Switch handset itself, if you're 'on the go'?

You could use any headset, wired or wireless or your phones internal speaker. I don't think they're expecting anyone to use their phone to their ear while playing.

They should really just come out and say more about their online component. It's unclear, unlike the rest of the messaging with the Switch. I'm still wait and see and won't jump to conclusions about it until we have all the details in front of us.

No, that means you can add and remove friends. Maybe if lucky create a list (unlikely).
You'd have to have this feature on the console to add randoms that you meet that you would like to add since you won't have any other way to do it.
This in no way shape or form indicates any method of communication other than managing requests.

How can you add or remove friends if you don't have a list? I'll admit messaging is a bit of an inference on my part but I don't quite understand the purpose of a list if messaging isn't included...

Where does it say any of that is done through the console? It just says that you don't need to pay to register and manage friends.

The fact that it's not part of the app should indicate it's done through the console... Why would there be a line for "online lobbies and voice chat app" and a separate line for "registering and managing friends" if the latter was part of the former?

Also, the app is only part of the paid program, yet friends management is not. It's kinda hard to argue that you'd need the app from the paid program to add friends while not on the paid program...

Trike

Without the ability to use a headset on the controllers I don't see how you can do voice chat without another device

I mean technically any headset could come with a USB Type-C adapter if they supported it. But you're right, it's less likely that voice chat would be supported through there.

azyless

I mean technically any headset could come with a USB Type-C adapter if they supported it. But you're right, it's less likely that voice chat would be supported through there.
He means on the controllers (joycons, pro), there's no USB port there either, so voice chat in docked mode is unlikely unless Nintendo decided to only support Bluetooth headsets.

How can you add or remove friends if you don't have a list? I'll admit messaging is a bit of an inference on my part but I don't quite understand the purpose of a list if messaging isn't included...

The fact that it's not part of the app should indicate it's done through the console... Why would there be a line for "online lobbies and voice chat app" and a separate line for "registering and managing friends" if the latter was part of the former?

Also, the app is only part of the paid program, yet friends management is not. It's kinda hard to argue that you'd need the app from the paid program to add friends while not on the paid program...

Skittz, you're fighting the good fight and I love it. Pretty ashamed that I didn't notice this myself! I fully agree with you here, this seems to point to adding/managing friends via the console itself. Either that or you can't have a friends list until the app launches this summer...

Skittz, you're fighting the good fight and I love it. Pretty ashamed that I didn't notice this myself! I fully agree with you here, this seems to point to adding/managing friends via the console itself. Either that or you can't have a friends list until the app launches this summer...
Not being able to have a friend list to summer would be horrible :(

boxter432

so it seems:

you can probably add friends and have a list on the console
share to social media, so it has some sort of browser feature, at least a post to fbook/twitter quick option
the app seems to be just for parties and voice chat. dumb.
you can play online without accessing the app, but wouldn't be able to join a friends lobby or chat with them

XandBosch

so it seems:

share to social media, so it has some sort of browser feature, at least a post to fbook/twitter quick option
you can play online without accessing the app, but wouldn't be able to join a friends lobby or chat with them

Haha.

Yes.

TS-08

so it seems:

I think this is pretty accurate, including the part about it being dumb.

Mahonay

Banned
so it seems:

That pretty much covers it.

so it seems:

And that for my friends and I is a big deal. I want to be able to just start a party chat on the console OS itself and invite friends to my party chat, not go through an app for this.

Common Nintendo, this is 2017. Not having a dedicated party chat app on the actual system is beyond dumb.

D i Z

My bad. I should have been clearer that I meant create more lists for grouping etc.

Also i don't think that it's beyond the reasonable line of thinking that you can have a friends list but that the communication, ALL communication is behind the paywall. If it is piecemeal, then why gate any of it at all? Defeats the purpose entirely of trying to root around in peoples wallets.

To address something someone else said elsewhere in the thread, there is no browser. Posting to FB or other social media has never required one. And it doesn't require viewing of the posted end result. You select the photo (let's be real, no videos with these memory limits) you caption it, it gets that Nintendo water maker and sent as a post to your page with their links attached.

Oregano

Not sure if it's worth its own thread but I have started a petition to get these features included in the Switch OS/Hardware.

The Petition

It'd be great if we could all make ourselves heard in whichever way possible.

notaskwid

Not sure if it's worth its own thread but I have started a petition to get these features included in the Switch OS/Hardware.

The Petition

I've signed it. I really don't want to see Nintendo's knuckleheaded decisions bring down the console. I realize it's pointless at this point of the game, but whatever.v

so it seems:

This is a great summary. You also may be able to play with friends without the app through in-game matchmaking, but that is unknown right now.

If you look at this Switch UI shot, the far left icon is blatantly some sort of messaging:

55880_4_nintendo-switch-ui-revealed-lets-take-closer-look.png

I believe the JP translation for that icon (from the presentation) is "Game News"

And that for my friends and I is a big deal. I want to be able to just start a party chat on the console OS itself and invite friends to my party chat, not go through an app for this.

Common Nintendo, this is 2017. Not having a dedicated party chat app on the actual system is beyond dumb.

Maybe you dont need go through the phone, only maybe you need a smartphone with the app installed near to you and the headset connected to your phone. This thread is just about speculation, we dont know how it will works.

The Petition

Nintendo doesn't have the best track record with listening to consumers, but signed anyway. I really think a hashtag needs to start to hopefully get the message to them

Huh.

Funny how new pieces of info can potentially change things. And there were people here last night adamant that we already learned ALL we needed to learn yesterday to make a final judgement call here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom