• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's not enough info in the chart to say either way. All we can definitively tell from the chart is what you get and don't get from being a service subscriber. There's no info or asterisk to tell us what's tied to the app or not.

When the app itself is one of the lines, isn't that pretty clear that every other line is outside of the app?

Note, I'm not trying to claim anything about voice chat or matchmaking, just the ability to have friends management through the console itself. Which a lot of people assumed would not be included.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
A predictable lowish userbase and this and the paywall means online for most games is going to be a wasteland. Good job and giving your games no chance of being a success before they're even released.

Yep. Online for Switch is basically DOA at this point.

I'm starting to think that Nintendo is rushing this out the door due to the utter failure of WiiU. I can't see this fairing much better.

When the app itself is one of the lines, isn't that pretty clear that every other line is outside of the app?

Note, I'm not trying to claim anything about voice chat or matchmaking, just the ability to have friends management through the console itself. Which a lot of people assumed would not be included.

Not when we know the app still has limited functionality outside the subscription beyond "Online Lobby & Voice Chat". To be honest, you may be right. But (as someone who occasionally has to design stuff like this at work), the chart isn't totally clear about the delineation of what's relegated to what.

Not when we know the app still has limited functionality outside the subscription beyond "Online Lobby & Voice Chat". To be honest, you may be right. But (as someone who occasionally has to design stuff like this at work), the chart isn't totally clear about the delineation of what's relegated to what.

The app has limited functionality when the subscription is still free in the Summer, is how I read that... Once it's paid in the Fall, you'll start getting your free game for a month and discounts and whatnot. I don't think the "limited functionality" is something that the app offers without the paid subscription.

But this is mostly my reading of this thing and it's certainly not all that clear. The chart seems super clear to me but apparently not to others.

Seik

Banned
Analysis of thread so far.

N-enthusiasts: We should wait before jumping to conclusions.

Opponent: Yeah but Reggie said him himself.

N-Enthusiasts: Maybe he worded that wrong, let's wait for more information.

Opponent: Look at these pathetic fools lying to themselves, it's sad to see these apologists trying a mental gymnastic to find a way to defend this ass-backward shit company, etc. etc. *Pursue name-callings*

*opponents quoting opponents, circle-jerking themselves*

I understand both sides, but let's try and keep shit respectful guys?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Haters: Yeah but Reggie said him himself.

Haters: Look at these pathetic fools lying to themselves, it's sad to see these apologists trying a mental gymnastic to find a way to defend this ass-backward shit company, etc. etc. *Pursue name-callings*

*Haters quote haters, circle-jerking themselves*

Doesn't seem to be a very objective view from this post

Emitan

Haters: Look at these pathetic fools lying to themselves, it's sad to see these apologists trying a mental gymnastic to find a way to defend this ass-backward shit company, etc. etc. *Pursue name-callings*

How is one a hater for listening to the words of a company executive?

D i Z

That's not the crux of the matter. Why would you even focus on that?

My point is that even if this particular piece isn't technically new info, (though enough people apparently highlighted it now and sparked a discussion), further details can potentially change the overall picture.

Some posters here are hell bent that nothing new can be shown now that can matter. Even though we don't have a proper breakdown on what this service really is and how it works.

You're the one talking about it as "New information" when it is not. We all read that shit on day one. Apparently you didn't bother to research a single thing before you got comfortable with the attention that saying dumb shit will ultimately attract. You attempt to spin. You fail. Then you retreat into more spin, and still fail. If you've got nothing to actually add, you should take a break.

I am going to go ahead and say that by this post you clearly belong to one of these 2 groups yourself

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

*Asks for respect and uses Haters in the same post.

tumblr_mlx7j1nym01rvnnvyo2_500.gif

*calls people haters and circlejerkers, then wants to keep it respectful*

Sure guy.

Steroyd

Wait why would I be a "Hater" if I'm only going by what Nintendo have said so far and judge the believability of that current information based on their past?

Trust me I would LOVE to be proven wrong on Nintendo's online, but it's on them because they've completely lost my benefit of the doubt.

Seik

Banned
Doesn't seem to be a very objective view from this post

I'm as much as against a party-chat app locked behind a smartphone wall as most people here, I voiced that it was unacceptable and cannot be an actual thing in this era. One cannot defend this, however, it's reasonable to think the info has been badly transmitted.

I won't start dogpiling people that suggests so though.

And yeah, HATER was a very poor choice of word on my part, my apologies, I changed it to opponent.

Seik: How can I look as objective as possible? I know! I'll label the "bad guys" as haters!

I sense an ever slight bias in your post.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm as much as against a party-chat app locked behind a smartphone wall as most people here, I voiced that it was unacceptable and cannot be an actual thing in this era. One cannot defend this, however, it's reasonable to think the info has been badly transmitted.

I won't start dogpiling people that suggests so though.

What a HATER you are.

edit: Dammit you edited this in after: "And yeah, HATER was a very poorly choice of word on my part, my apologies."

My sick ass burn is moot now.

I'm assuming it's going to be similar to the Wii u. You can register friends, SE what they are playing, maybe join their game.

Where it'll be different is if you want to chat or preplan an in game meetup. You'll have to use the app. It's pretty dumb even if it doesn't really effect me personally because I really don't plan out games in advance and I don't like voice chatting. For everyone else though? Totally stupid.

Kenstar

The Nintendo DS had 4MB of RAM and had voice chat in some games.
The Wii had voice chat
3ds had voice chat
Wii U had voice chat
But the switch can't manage it? This was a tactical choice, dont want to hear about how offloading it saves power when the ds could pull it off without a hitch

Why is this thread so angry? We know next to nothing so far - no confirmation on whether you can do voice without the app, what the app looks like, the cost - basically nothing. And yet people are so mad, swearing, insulting, and arguing.

Perspective: it's a 299.99 video game console.

You're the one talking about it as "New information" when it is not. We all read that shit on day one. Apparently you didn't bother to research a single thing before you got comfortable with the attention that saying dumb shit will ultimately attract.

There was a thread made highlighting the lack of "app" wording regarding friendlists. That info may have been up on day 1 (which is apparently all you wanna be fixated on), but the thread was made, what, less than 24 hours ago? Forget for a second when the info was put up. It was of enough interest for people to look at and discuss now. I brought it up because it goes to show how generally new information (or if it'll please your seemingly arbitrarily focused sensibilities) old information viewed under a different light can change things. How everything now is nothing more than an assumption.

Why are you muddying the conversation with pointless semantics?

Opponent: Look at these pathetic fools lying to themselves, it's sad to see these apologists trying a mental gymnastic to find a way to defend this ass-backward shit company, etc. etc. *Pursue name-callings*

I love how people are calling this biased. As if people who were were told they were jumping to conclusions in previous posts didn't take any sort of a tone when they came back with their outraged responses.

Why is this thread so angry? We know next to nothing so far - no confirmation on whether you can do voice without the app, what the app looks like, the cost - basically nothing. And yet people are so mad, swearing, insulting, and arguing.

You're on a video game forum, friend.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

That's what happens when you have people who care about these things going insane because the company in question refuses to give straight answers only a few weeks from launch

Nerazar

Seik: How can I look as objective as possible? I know! I'll label the "bad guys" as haters!

Why is "hater" such a bad word? Is it that offending? It's a strong one, yes, but let's say some 'critics' have been voicing their opinion quite ... hm ... creatively? I mean: "Nintendo is shitting into the mouth of their fans?" Really? Is that how we want to discuss (I don't mean you specifically, but I saw that one in one of those threads)?

However, his analysis is quite correct. We have one side waiting for more information on this issue and another interpreting the info that we have as complete and continuing there. It would be nice to be at least able to discuss it whether side A or B is correct on this issue or not.

Oregano

Honestly if they had base level online support(ala Wii U) for free and then the Smartphone App for a small fee it would be much more acceptable but then again that wouldn't work because of the nature of online connectivity!:/

They just need to realise how stupid it is and implement it as much as they can into the system's UI. Even if the App is more convenient the option should still be there natively.

HeeHo

Honestly if they had base level online support(ala Wii U) for free and then the Smartphone App for a small fee it would be much more acceptable but then again that wouldn't work because of the nature of online connectivity!:/

They just need to realise how stupid it is and implement it as much as they can into the system's UI. Even if the App is more convenient the option should still be there natively.

Man, hopefully they do a 180 on making it the only way to matchmake and voice chat. I don't have a smartphone and I don't want one.

Kimawolf

Just look at his avatar, lmfao.
lol and what should we take from your avatar?
I wonder what word I should choose though, 'debater'?

English ain't my native language, it doesn't show that much usually but today was a bad day. :lol
nah hater is a fine word. one group is wary but waits for more info, another group is more "har har idiots the lot of em". as if this is the only information we will ever get on this subject. so yeah they get into a bit of self quoting opinions close to theirs about how horrible Nintendo is while they pay for the laughably unsecure PSN or the overpriced XBL. i think paying for online on any console is silly, and even of you had to, only MS has shown anything close to being worth it.

as i have said, i am willing to see what Nintendo offers but it better something amazing

Oregano

Man, hopefully they do a 180 on making it the only way to matchmake and voice chat. I don't have a smartphone and I don't want one.

I have a Smartphone and would use this if absolutely forced to but right now I'm thinking I'm basically going to pay for a month's worth of online at a time, play Mario Kart/Splatoon/Smash etc and then move on.

Online populations are going to be ridiculously low though. A paygate is a massive barrier to a lot of Nintendo's base.

Nerazar

You're making it worse!

Why would pricing change the perception? :D I mean, it's clear: either you like the offer by Nintendo or not. I don't like various offers from console manufacturers so far, but I don't really expect a huge set of features from a PS4 or XBO. I expect good games which interest me and as long as this is delivered, I am happy.

It doesn't matter if the console is $10, $100 or $1000 in that case. I would love to have a MS or Sony device without their whole Entertainment Division shoving their stuff into my eyes, ears and brains on the side. The moment the "Play Game" button becomes the smallest icon on the screen, I lose. But that's why I'm not really supporting that route.

D i Z

There was a thread made highlighting the lack of "app" wording regarding friendlists. That info may have been up on day 1 (which is apparently all you wanna be fixated on), but the thread was made, what, less than 24 hours ago? Forget for a second when the info was put up. It was of enough interest for people to look at and discuss now. I brought it up because it goes to show how generally new information (or if it'll please your seemingly arbitrarily focused sensibilities) old information viewed up under a different light can change things. How everything now is nothing more than an assumption.

Why are you muddying the conversation with pointless semantics?

I love how people are calling this biased. As if people who were were told they were jumping to conclusions in previous posts didn't take any sort of a tone when they came back with their outraged responses.

And that same screen grab was addressed in this very thread to its logical conclusion. Then here you come once again with the only thing you've ever had to say during this entire discussion, and its not even about the product, it's about your critique of other people using a logical process. You still have nothing of value to say. And this will probably the last nibble you get.

Not sure if it's worth its own thread but I have started a petition to get these features included in the Switch OS/Hardware.

The Petition

It'd be great if we could all make ourselves heard in whichever way possible.

I will always try and help whenever I see initiatives that are pro consumer so you have my vote even if I'm not getting a Switch atm. I would like to down the road though if a lot of these issues get ironed out.

Apathy

hahah, maybe he worded it wrong. yeah, not like people have been asking him and him giving the same answer over and over. holy shit

And That same screen grab was addressed in this very thread to its logical conclusion. Then here you come once again with the only thing you've ever had to say during this entire discussion, and its not even about the product, it's about your critique of other people using a logical process. You still have nothing of value to say.

Yeah, I can see how if you've already decided "I don't need full facts. I wanna be angry now", hearing "that's conjecture" would sound like "nothing of value."

89 pages of this to be exact.

Oregano

I will always try and help whenever I see initiatives that are pro consumer so you have my vote even if I'm not getting a Switch atm. I would like to down the road though if a lot of these issues get ironed out.

Cheers, I don't think it will get anywhere unfortunately. It's really hard to get the word out and I definitely don't want to spam the link in threads all the time.

I'm gonna tweet about it every day but I never use twitter and only have my Miitomo followers.

At least I can say I tried.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I wonder what word I should choose though, 'debater'?

English ain't my native language, it doesn't show that much usually but today was a bad day. :lol

GAF Half Full v. GAF Half Empty

I do agree with ElectricBlanketFire, if you are going to say the "opponents" are the only ones in a circle-jerk, you need to look around the room a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom