• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RegionThree Released For All Non-New 3DS Models - No Game Or Flashcard Required!

Ah so this is what that was about? Sorry for spreading misinformation like that. That doesn't really answer the technical concerns I had which lead to me jumping to conclusions though.

There is a big problem with that one. You can not enter the Japanese eShop.
The US eShop has no DLC for that game* (and DLC is a massive part of the game) meaning you're stuck with playing the 4 songs on the cartridge. Source: Personal knowledge and this post

*-Software availability is handled on [eShop] country by country basis including DLC. An example of this is some of the newer PAL eShops don't have DLC for old software like FF: Theathrhythm (the do have the DLC for Curtain Call though).

my heart sunk :( thanks for the heads up. might go forward with my new3ds jp order then

It's practically the same game as Rocket Slime, just with a different setting. I'm sure you'd be able to manage.

d65e0e22e3.jpg

Man they released another Rocket Slime game? 4 years later and it's still not localized eh? I guess it's time to import it.

d65e0e22e3.jpg

Man they released another Rocket Slime game? 4 years later and it's still not localized eh? I guess it's time to import it.
They also released one on the GBA. Rocket Slime is the second entry of that series [Slime Mori].

I just started a Wiki page over on GBAtemp

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_RegionThree_Compatibility_List

It would be great if people can fill in:
This is interesting although it is sad to see reports of games not working already (two non-Japanese games on a Japanese system). I wonder what the problems are or if they can be worked around.

They also released one on the GBA. Rocket Slime is the second entry of that series [Slime Mori].

This is interesting although it is sad to see reports of games not working already (two non-Japanese games on a Japanese system). I wonder what the problems are or if they can be worked around.
More information needed.

Galdelico

Wow, just got out of my rock and read about it. This sounds great! No piracy enabled, nothing physical done to your console... The only thing that leaves me a bit dubious is accepting the idea to 'sacrifice' my only 3DS XL, which is the Zelda one. Well, I guess I can test thing thing until the next fw update, see what happens next and decide what to do (I'm still convinced to import my New 3DS XL from the US, both for cartridge and eShop gaming).

I read on another forum that apparently this doesn't work on the physical release of Sega 3D Classics since the way the games are packaged subverts the exploit. You can boot to the game menu, but it will lock up when you choose any of the individual games.

Anyone try the Japanese version of Project X Zone (need that ROCKS and World's Love), EX Troopers, SRW UX, or Gyakuten Saiban 123?
Want to know for sure before importing. Nice to see Puyo Puyo Tetris works though, will get.

I read on another forum that apparently this doesn't work on the physical release of Sega 3D Classics since the way the games are packaged subverts the exploit. You can boot to the game menu, but it will lock up when you choose any of the individual games.

Noooooo :( This was the main Japanaese title I was interested in getting!

Galdelico

Does anyone know how this trick works with patched games?
I'd like to try Senran Kagura 2, but I read it got several patches in Japan... Is it still possible to update a game using this RegionThree exploit?

I wouldn't imagine so... aren't the patches on 3DS essentially downloaded from the eshop? If that's the case the patches aren't going to be available.
Yeah, I thought the same. That's why I asked... Thanks for replying, if that's the case, I guess I'll just keep waiting for an european release.

Does anyone know how this trick works with patched games?
I'd like to try Senran Kagura 3, but I read it got several patches in Japan... Is it still possible to update a game using this RegionThree exploit?

I wouldn't imagine so... aren't the patches on 3DS essentially downloaded from the eshop? If that's the case the patches aren't going to be available.

Doczu

Shit, just thought of something. It will be totally impossible to buy SMTIV DLC using a US copy on my EU console, right? If so, i will have to cancel my order :(

SerTapTap

Yeah I haven't been able to patch sk2 in any way. Unsure what the patches do though. Don't suppose they can be sideloade d to SD card?

Galdelico

Yeah I haven't been able to patch sk2 in any way. Unsure what the patches do though. Don't suppose they can be sideloade d to SD card?
I read brief comments about gameplay's balancing and characters' nerfs, as well as random locks while playing the game on a european 3DS... I'd assume it received stability updates too? Gaffers from the 3DS import thread could be more specific for sure.

That's a shame, though. I'll put my order on stand-by, until it's all a bit clearer.

FSLink

Banned
Shit, just thought of something. It will be totally impossible to buy SMTIV DLC using a US copy on my EU console, right? If so, i will have to cancel my order :(

At least with this method it's impossible.... you'd probably have to get a Gateway, rip your US copy, load it on your European emuNAND, and get the DLC that way.
Though I'm not sure if you'd actually be able to legitimately purchase the DLC in-game, or if the only method would be ~shady filez~ (since that's Gateway's main goal after all...). :/

Doczu

At least with this method it's impossible.... you'd probably have to get a Gateway, rip your US copy, load it on your European emuNAND, and get the DLC that way.
Though I'm not sure if you'd actually be able to legitimately purchase the DLC in-game, or if the only method would be ~shady filez~ (since that's Gateway's main goal after all...). :/

Well then, so i'm back to square one with this game. Well then, at least Rune Factory and Code of Princess is still a buy :D

Invega

Neo Member
This is cool and I support it because it's not a method that facilitates piracy. It's sad that eventually people will have to decide between remaining region free or having access to the radio.

I don't understand. What does the radio have to do with it?

Sakujou

Banned
so, i ordered shin megami tensei IV from the US.

it will work on my 3ds, right?
and iam not sure which firmware i have, but i want to transfer my shit to the n3ds as soon as it arrives so will there be any problem?
something like savegames, mii-stuff. i dont have any dlc or downloaded games, but i would like to transfer all the stats.

also i wanted to ask, since the compability list is so incomplete if any of you guys have come across some problems.

and some recommendations of japanese games? something like ouendan or other quirky games?

edit: never mind.

M3d10n

This exploit shows that it wouldn't be a simple matter of Nintendo "flipping a switch" to disable region locking on the 3ds. The eShop and the way games interact with it is the main problem. As it is, disabling the region lock on the system itself would allow only partial access to some games' features. The fact different region games are actually different games could also cause some confusion in regards to things like street pass, spot pass and SD card data.

At best, Nintendo could make future games region free, but for old ones it would be complicated.

This exploit shows that it wouldn't be a simple matter of Nintendo "flipping a switch" to disable region locking on the 3ds. The eShop and the way games interact with it is the main problem. As it is, disabling the region lock on the system itself would allow only partial access to some games' features. The fact different region games are actually different games could also cause some confusion in regards to things like street pass, spot pass and SD card data.

At best, Nintendo could make future games region free, but for old ones it would be complicated.
It would be:

• disabling region lock in system software
  • pushing an update to eShop allowing region selection for purchasing
  • (Miiverse already has region selection)
...unless I'm missing some specifics?

I wouldn't expect much support on out of region purchases.

donny2112

But no matter how much they emphasized that, if they made it officially available, there would be people calling asking for refunds because they can't read the game that's now available on their system from the eShop. They'd probably have to limit it to physical only (i.e. the buyer knew it wasn't a game from their region) with no eShop access, which is essentially this trick, anyways. :)

M3d10n

It would be:

• disabling region lock in system software
  • pushing an update to eShop allowing region selection for purchasing
  • (Miiverse already has region selection)
...unless I'm missing some specifics?

That's "basically" it, but it's still a ton of work since they'd need to come up with how the user experience would be when playing software from a different region. It would never be a seamless experience like it was with the DS.

The eShop also makes everything more complicated. How exactly would be the UX for downloading patches for an out-of-region game? Currently, linking a NNID doesn't even allows you to switch countries, how would you go about switching from a NA-bound eShop to the JP-bound one?

Also, I suspect Nintendo's publishing and distribution contracts don't foresee such a situation. The eShop is managed by Nintendo and allowing an EU unit to access the NA eShop could be interpreted as "distributing" eShop games overseas. Would Nintendo need to get ESRB ratings for Japanese-only games if they add an option to access the Japanese eShop?

Sony's system, for example, was designed with this in mind: the PSN store you see is the one corresponding to your account's region. You cannot change your account's region and they make it reasonably hard to create accounts from regions other than your own. Also, their patching system is not tied to accounts, so they can be pushed to any user regardless of where they are (and their contracts probably foresee this).

Actually, it'd be much easier for Nintendo to make the Wii U region free than the 3DS. Their patching system does not depend on eShop access: the Wii U will still download updates for your games even if your NNID is set to a country where the Wii U eShop isn't available.

Jomjom

Banned
So there's no way Nintendo can patch this or something right? I mean assuming I never update the firmware again of course.

I really want to import the Shin Megami Tensei LE 3DS.

European XL, booted up fine Gyakuten Saiban 5 (JP) and SMT IV (US).

Just get rid of region locking already, Nintendo.

Hopefully you respond, but I need to know and there's probably a slim chance but does Gyakuten Saiban 5 by any chance have English text when you boot it on your eu console? Smash 4 JP apparently boots with English, so I'm a bit curious about other games. Obviously JP only games wouldn't be English but Gyakuten Saiban 5 was localized.

Bakkus

Is it safe to use the same SD card as the one primarily slotted in your console, or could that potentially damage your downloaded games, save files, or other stuff already existing on that SD card? Need someone to answer this before I try this with my NTSC SMTIV copy.

Is it safe to use the same SD card as the one primarily slotted in your console, or could that potentially damage your downloaded games, save files, or other stuff already existing on that SD card? Need someone to answer this before I try this with my NTSC SMTIV copy.

Shouldn't be any danger... The exploit doesn't write anything to the SD card, only reads a bit of data and executes it before launching the game.

Sakujou

Banned
hi,
smt4 just arrived, booted it up, i got a bit nervous so i didnt wait the full time.

the 3ds takes a lot of time to shut down and i cant access the home menu after booting up the game.
therefore i also cant access the instruction manual.

is this normal?

linid0t

hi,
smt4 just arrived, booted it up, i got a bit nervous so i didnt wait the full time.

the 3ds takes a lot of time to shut down and i cant access the home menu after booting up the game.
therefore i also cant access the instruction manual.

is this normal?

Yeah you can't use the home menu using this hack, it just crashes.

Sakujou

Banned
Yeah you can't use the home menu using this hack, it just crashes.

so there is also no soft shut down? you have to press down the on-button until the system shuts down?
sucks, because this feels like it hurts the 3dsOS.... or does it even matter?

XDDX

so there is also no soft shut down? you have to press down the on-button until the system shuts down?
sucks, because this feels like it hurts the 3dsOS.... or does it even matter?
Just press the power button once for like 1 second and it should come up with a software closed screen and you can press home from there and go to the main menu.

BloodR0se

Sorry if this has already been answered but will this work on a Japanese 3DS LL with the latest firmware?

I'm pretty sure that the XL and LL are identical apart from the name but I just wanted to check.

Top Bottom