• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regular 3DS removed from NOA's site

The_Afroman

hzuNQYS.gif

Don't know what is happening.. but it's happening.

Nintendo man.. you never know what the F they are going to do..

I really hope they do a revision which is the size of the original but with the form factor of the XL. That would be pretty cool. I'm sure they'd add some other smaller upgrades as well.

jwluther

True, but look at the retailers.
Doesn't Nintendo like to do yearly revisions on their handheld?

It's time for a new model come August/October.

Nah that's Apple. :)

3DS came out in February 2011, 3DS XL came out in July 2012. Nothing in 2013.

Edit: forgot about 2DS. Doh.

kirby_fox

Banned
Gonna go with "it's a marketing tactic" rather than a phase out. XL is more expensive. Leads to more profit.

You can see them doing this on other pages too- the XL is always in prime location for visualization. So if a kid gets on the site and sees the XL, it becomes more appealing than the 2DS. Words like "Full 3D experience" and putting it on the left side of the screen (since we read left-->right) are pushing out the XL more.

So yeah, marketing. If I was Nintendo, I'd want the XL to sell more.

-Horizon-

True, but look at the retailers.

There is only one left for the regular 3DS.

Doesn't Nintendo like to do yearly revisions on their handheld?

It's time for a new model come August/October.

I haven't checked, I'm not sure if it's a yearly thing or it's a "whenever they feel like it" kind of thing.

Josh7289

I think it's more likely that there's a price drop coming for the XL (and maybe also the 2DS) that doesn't leave much room for the regular 3DS.

Clefargle

Nintendo:

Do a brushed aluminum 3DS lite with the form factor of a MacBook Air and the same screen size as the xl but better pixel density.

Jonboy

Please be more ergonomic! That's my one hope for any 3ds redesign. I physically can't play the og or xl for long periods. 2ds is better but there's still so much room for improvement.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Doesn't surprise me. Nintendo adverts in magazines here in the UK haven't mentioned the 3DS OG in months. Paraphrased: "Choose 3DS XL for larger screens or the 2DS for value."

As long as they have an OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire bundle I will be happy. I just hope that any bundle includes a physical copy of the game or I see no reason to get it short of a potentially unique paintscheme for a 3DS.

Jimrpg

Nintendo give us a 3DS XL lite and do a Nintendo club thing along the lines of ps plus and u have my money!

bobawesome

I'd consider a 3DS Lite if it had a better form factor and a slightly larger screen. As it is, the original is an embarrassment to own.

AGITΩ

I'm not surprised, I recently noticed that all Original 3DS SKUs were listed as "Deleted" SKU on our Internal Systems (Best Buy)

Parablank

3DSi incoming with more ram and a 3ds form factor with xl look

I'm honestly getting really tired of my OG 3DS which is absolutely terrible to hold, if they actually come out with something like that I would pick it up day 1

Koppai

Since I bought like several 3DS (I think like 6 at this point?) I don't see myself buying another 3DS at this time.

Cosmo Black 3DS (sold at this point)
Fire Red 3DS (Japanese)
Fire Red 3DS (for my bro)
Cobalt Blue 3DS XL (Gave away)
Pikachu XL
Xerneas/Yvetal Red Edition

Now I'm jobless, yay!
;_;

iavi

I own too many 3DSes as is, but would still consider a 3DS lite if it's the same jump in build the OG DS to Lite was.

Lebon14

Still have my ambassador 3DS. ;_;
my hands feel so cramped.

I still do too and I feel the same. Especially when you need to use the L & R buttons :\

For a 3DS Lite... I dunno. I feel that they would have released a Lite before the XL if they had plans for it.

Matteoj8

The Nintendo rep at my store said they were going to stop producing regular 3DSs months ago, so I believe this is a good sign.

Top Bottom