• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regular 3DS removed from NOA's site

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
YES! The screen scratching Hinged Devil is dead! Long live the 2DS.....Now replace the XL with a 2DS XL and all my monies belong to tendo!

Possibly Nintendo is doubling down on the handheld market, Or maybe new hardware could be revealed at E3. Who knows, Nintendo is always up to something. Should be great regardless

Hopefully this revision has more RAM than previous versions. Trying to navigate the Miiverse is a pain because it's so damn slow.

TomShoe

Banned
Lame. I preferred the OG 3DS over the XL for the portability factor. Needed something you could slip in your pocket and play discreetly. I hope the new 3DS Lite is a good redesign.

Bodacious

Banned
What if they are going to do 3DS revision that actually suit for Smash 3DS?

I've thought about that ... could definitely use a more griptastic slidepad for that game. After playing for awhile my thumb starts slipping around on that thing like trying to grab hold of a greased pig.

If you're one of the few who prefer the little guy for the more compact form factor, better speakers, and technically superior display .... well you're clearly in the minority cuz nobody's buying it anymore.

I'm exactly one of those people and find the XL rather gross. (Yes, I've owned both)

MarkusRJR

They've discontinued the original 3DS in Canada since last holidays. All that's left is leftover stock basically.

I'm betting they either announce a 3DS lite (probably without 3D, due to losing that patent issue in court and paying royalties for 3D devices) or go straight 2DS and 3DS XL only.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Isn't the XL a bigger screen but same resolution?

It looks good, but I don't have a problem holding the 2DS close enough to see everything.

MarkusRJR

Like how the game is played? Such as you can view images in 3d? Or they don't believe in the 3ds?
I'm pretty sure he means in the idea of a 3D gimmick on a handheld. Plus, I'm pretty sure they lost that patent lawsuit over their 3D screens. By making their 3DS lite with 3D they'd be paying royalties. Considering Nintendo avoids royalties to the point of making their products worse (no MP3 support on Wii, no DVD or blu ray support) I think we won't be seeing 3D on future handhelds unless there is a major game that drastically takes advantage of 3D.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
2DS and 3DS Lite aren't the same market. At all. For starters, the 2DS isn't portable/pocketable.

Portable and pocketable are two very different things. I don't put a laptop in my pocket, but that doesn't mean I don't take it places.

On one hand, good, because that thing is awful in terms of hand cramps. On the other hand, if this really means a 3DS lite, that's a huge disappointment. There are more than enough 3DS skus to satisfy the market. Nintendo doesn't need more hardware revisions right now.

New business pushes (like vastly expanded digital libraries), new software, or new hardware altogether is what they need to be thinking about.

Russell

I don't want an XL, because of the shitty image quality compared to the original 3DS. And I don't want a 2DS, because I want to experience my games in 3D. I hope the redesigned 3DS comes out very soon.

Shun

Bold prediction

It's literally just going to be an OG 3DS with a smaller 3DS XL shell.

No more gloss, peeling D-Pad, or scratched screens. Maybe keep the extendable stylus.

The cheapest way to revise the OG 3DS.

If you're one of the few who prefer the little guy for the more compact form factor, better speakers, and technically superior display .... well you're clearly in the minority cuz nobody's buying it anymore..

Higher Pixel Density isn't the only redeeming factor of a screen. The XL is a little brighter, has a better viewing angle, and is bigger.

'sides you can still see each of the 96,000 pixels on the original 3DS top screen. It ain't great.

Bodacious

Banned
Higher Pixel Density isn't the only redeeming factor of a screen. The XL is a little brighter, has a better viewing angle, and is bigger.

'sides you can still see each of the 96,000 pixels on the original 3DS top screen. It ain't great.

Yeah I know. That's why I used the qualifier, "technically" superior. For most people, the XL's screen is certainly aesthetically superior.

impact

Banned
Isn't the XL a bigger screen but same resolution?

It looks good, but I don't have a problem holding the 2DS close enough to see everything.

Games look like shit on both of them so I don't see the benefit to the small 3DS. XL is superior in every way.

I'm pretty sure he means in the idea of a 3D gimmick on a handheld. Plus, I'm pretty sure they lost that patent lawsuit over their 3D screens. By making their 3DS lite with 3D they'd be paying royalties. Considering Nintendo avoids royalties to the point of making their products worse (no MP3 support on Wii, no DVD or blu ray support) I think we won't be seeing 3D on future handhelds unless there is a major game that drastically takes advantage of 3D.

It wasn't the 3D screens. It was the 3D cameras. All nintendo has to do is omit the cameras or have a 2d outer camera. Maybe then they can make it HD or at least 540p idk

linko9

I don't feel like it's reading too much into things to say this means a new revision is coming. At this point Nintendo has set the precedent that they do more than one revision on a handheld, and they need to inject some excitement into their only successful product right now. This is about the time in the life cycle GBM and DSi were announced, right?

Atlas157

Yeah I know. That's why I used the qualifier, "technically" superior. For most people, the XL's screen is certainly aesthetically superior.

I enjoy the larger size of the XL screen, but mine has an ugly warm tint and it bothers me. I hope the next 3DS has a better screen.

The XL's was brighter? I seem to remember it being a little dimmer when I was comparing them side by side back when I had both, but I could be wrong about that.

I remembered debating whether I wanted to keep both of them, so I played Ocarina of Time for a bit on both of them.
What I remember is that overall the OG's speakers were louder, pixel density was better, the 2D screen color was better, and the 3D "sweet spot" was easier to keep in focus. But negatives were that it was more uncomfortable to use, the 3D effect was weaker than the XL, and I hated how the buttons and d-pad felt (hard to explain, they were too stiff to press or something that made me dislike them).

XL had weaker speakers, playing games in 2D seems to have a slightly yellowish tint to them (that disappears when in 3D strangely enough), the pixel density was very chunky, and the 3D sweet spot is harder to keep in focus. But it was WAY more comfortable, the buttons and d-pad felt so much better (playing 2D games like VVVVVV got so much better), and I liked the stronger (deeper) 3D effect it had even if it is harder to keep in focus.

Not sure I'd be down for a new, smaller 3DS, but I always love seeing new handheld model revisions. I'd love if Nintendo was able to put in an improved 3D tech in the screen to make the "sweet spot" a wider range and make the depth even more impressive, but I'm one of the few that still likes that aspect of the system.

I absolutely despise the ergonomics of the 3ds and the XL. I really want a 2ds, but I have a feeling Nintendo is going to bring out another redesign any day now so I might as well just wait. 2ds XL would be so rad

cereal.jpg

RM8

It's completely subjective. To me the XL feels huge and somehow cheaper, I miss the metallic stylus and overall like the look of the original version much better. Not to mention it comes in better colors.

Zalman

I definitely think they will replace the standard model this year. Maybe not at E3, but later in the summer like what happened with the XL.

Oh boy do i think you nail it on the head with this one. I have never seen a gimmick fail as hard as this one. Excluding the 3ds though, is there even any more push around 3d anything?

Thank you for expanding on that post though. Learned something new.

It's completely subjective. To me the XL feels huge and somehow cheaper, I miss the metallic stylus and overall like the look of the original version much better. Not to mention it comes in better colors.

As far as I can tell the entire back plate of the XL is held on with 1 screw in the dead center. The edges are always peeling up on when I use it and it makes it feel less solid than a Tiger handheld.

OmahaG8

I found my original white DS Lite yesterday - haven't turned it on in at least 4 years, and popped right on. The fit and build of it is amazing, I remember buying it midnight the day it came out - after begrudgingly playing the original.

The 3DS to me has a horrible feel compared to the Lite. And the XL feels bad in a new way - but at least has a better battery life is debatably more comfortable to hold.

Nintendo - give me an awesome 3DS.

Hatchtag

Banned
One of two scenarios I'm guessing :
-New revision announced in late June for release in August/September with Smash
-New revision announced in August/September for release in October/November with Pokemon ORAS

Top Bottom