• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy now expanded into two teams; two new games in development; has new partner

Caronte

Well they did visit Naughty Dog's studios and Sam Lake and Neil Druckmann have been buddy buddy of late. This was all before QB's launch too. I feel like Sony will get themselves a big win and get another thing MS had.

I feel like they would sell better on Playstation. Cinematic games do well there.

ps3ud0

How happy are Sony releasing on PC? I cant see Remedy not having something like that as a stipulation. I guess Helldivers is probably an example to follow...

And what about someone like CD Projekt as a publisher?

ps3ud0 8)

iNvid02

tumblr_n3ot8nqa3c1sk38nfo1_500.gif

"New partner." How should I read that. Safe to assume they're working with Microsoft on one game and with a different publisher on another? If they've parted ways with Microsoft entirely then that's huge news in itself.

Shame that there's no Alan Wake stuff in the works.

The first game is in active development with a brand new partner, not long-time publisher Microsoft, and Paloheimo said it is a new IP, a AAA game, but declined to say much more than that.

"We have to respect our partner and it’s up to them to decide when they want to talk about the game," he said.

The other game is also AAA and is in the concept stage with no solid plans yet for how to publish it, Paloheimo said.

Moertel

Just to summarize since the info is scattered between Remedy's blog post and the Polygon interview:

Remedy is working on two new games
Both are AAA
At least one is a new IP with a new partner
Especially one game aims at "new audiences", possibly new genre
"not abandoning story" but open to incorporating new things (multiplayer?)
No VR
No Alan Wake 2
Looking at other mediums (TV, comics etc.) for Alan Wake

I guess they also dissolved their mobile unit?

dugdug

Banned
Well they did visit Naughty Dog's studios and Sam Lake and Neil Druckmann have been buddy buddy of late. This was all before QB's launch too. I feel like Sony will get themselves a big win and get another thing MS had.

Huh, yeah I forgot about all that. Would be interesting to see some kinda collaboration between the studios if that's even a possibility.

We’re working on something else, but at the same time we’re exploring opportunities in other mediums to tell more Alan Wake stories.

Yeah, I don't want that. I'm not interested in Alan Wake comics or novels or live action or motion comics or whatever bullshit. I don't want to see Remedy moving further away from video games. They can get as crazy as they want within their video games; give me all the Dick Justice, Captain Baseball Bat Boy, Mr Scratch nonsense you can cram in there. But if they just start making entirely non-video-game related stuff I think I'm out. I enjoyed watching short episodes of Night Springs when I found them in Alan Wake, but when Quantum Break wanted me to sit there twiddling my thumbs for 20+ minutes watching TV episodes as part of the main story I found it really hard to take.

Would certainly be an interesting pairing, but I don't see it happening - even though I agree that it would be a pretty smart move on Sony's part.

Theorry

All i'm sayin that QB bombed. Maybe i didn't understand your previous post.

Maybe, But it has nothing to do with the new games because they started before QB was even released. So saying. "i guess QB bombed hard" with this news doesnt add up. :)

Isnt Gamestop publishing for smaller games though?

And I would be willing to bet that it will be a multiplat game. Something they should have been doing for a long time now to help sell more games.

oh right. hmm, i dunno. this could always be Gamestop trying to expand into larger games.

do we know if both games are AAA? they could be making a big and a small. who knows. *shrug*

ps3ud0

Does CDPR publish games?
They self publish AFAIK, I expect after the success of Witcher 3 they might expand that area (its not like they havent already got reach with things like GOG)

Remedy and CD Projekt would be a tantalising fit...

EDIT: Complete guess btw, just like how it sounds

ps3ud0 8)

le.phat

QB bombing the way it did, i was expecting Remedy's future to change way more severe.
Sound like they got a breath of fresh air that was desperately needed.

Bluth54

How happy are Sony releasing on PC? I cant see Remedy not having something like that as a stipulation. I guess Helldivers is probably an example to follow...
Well Street Fighter 5 is on PS4 and PC so they seem to be okay with doing it in some cases.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
If no game is going to be Alan Wake, why fucking bother?

"We KNOW fans really want more Alan Wake, and we're making TWO games at once now, but neither one is Alan Wake. Why? Because fuck you, that's why."

Entitled much?

EBreda

It's probably either Koch/Deep Silver or GameStop.

Would be amazing if it was Sony or Minty though...

OH yeah, amazing. Let's jump out of one shitty exclusivity deal and dive right into another one.

Can't understand why people don't root for a broader reach instead of exclusivity.

iNvid02

Yeah, I don't want that. I'm not interested in Alan Wake comics or novels or live action or motion comics or whatever bullshit. I don't want to see Remedy moving further away from video games. They can get as crazy as they want within their video games; give me all the Dick Justice, Captain Baseball Bat Boy, Mr Scratch nonsense you can cram in there. But if they just start making entirely non-video-game related stuff I think I'm out. I enjoyed watching short episodes of Night Springs when I found them in Alan Wake, but when Quantum Break wanted me to sit there twiddling my thumbs for 20+ minutes watching TV episodes as part of the main story I found it really hard to take.

completely agree, ok its disappointing hearing them say alan wake is not one of those 2 games in development, but to say they want to continue it in other mediums is what irks me most.

hopefully whatever they come up with is just a stop gap, it would be tragic if alan wake were to end relegated to another medium

Hesemonni

Banned
This is such awesome news! I was honestly soooo worried that Quantum Break's disastrous sales may have killed the studio. But they are EXPANDING into two studios? And they have TWO games in development?
While Quantum Break didn't exactly light the sales charts ablaze the financials aren't too bad (considering their slow pace of releases).

Btkm2cv.png

During the 2015 fiscal year they made 13.7M € of revenue and turned in 0,7 M € of profit. They also employed 126 people in 2015.

OH yeah, amazing. Let's jump out of one shitty exclusivity deal and dive right into another one.

Can't understand why people don't root for a broader reach instead of exclusivity.

Focus of resources, bigger scope for game, additional development help, better post release support with potential for DLC.

There's lots of resolve to argue for exclusivity. Might not be acceptable for one console owners but you can't expect every single game on your platform or choice just because.

Top Bottom