• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

All the PS4 Pro and Scorpio talk makes me sad.

We wont see Zelda or Mario in 4K until 2026 :(

Here:

3081350-wiiu_thelegendofzeldabreathofthewild_e32016_background_096.jpg

And it is only 2016.
You're welcome :D

What happened at the Wii remote reveal? Looked like the main things were the video and select sites getting hands on reports ready beforehand? I think something like that is very possible, just without a tgs keynote speech this time.
Don't think they need a big stage show to reveal it, but they could do something further in the new year.

oti

Banned
All the PS4 Pro and Scorpio talk makes me sad.

We wont see Zelda or Mario in 4K until 2026 :(

In all honesty, is 4K that important for Nintendo games? I don't think it is. HDR maybe since Nintendo is a genius when is comes to colour composition but more pixels wouldn't be that essential for a Mario game. Breath of the Wild is another story, but Full HD will be totally fine here as well.

Meh, the impressions of people seeing it on 4k HDR tvs tell a different story.

I take it you're zeroing in on my "unremarkable" comment. That's obviously in my own opinion and I obviously haven't seen the cutting-edge demos in person. But the fact is it's all tied into the pursuit of photorealism which is a root cause of the money problems plaguing the industry that has killed off numerous small developers over the past dozen years.

Neither 4k nor HDR would make Nintendo's historical game designs any more immersive or functional unless they pursued the same sort of money-sucking graphics development. (Although I know I certainly would personally appreciate better color depth.)

Edit: Ha, I guess Pikmin might indeed benefit in the eye candy department. But I don't think it would add as much functionally as it would just to increase visual appeal.

MDave

Does anyone know how price sensitive the Japanese market was towards the 3DS on launch and afterwards? Guessing it was the same as the rest of the world until the price cut.

If Nintendo are continuing to support the 3DS as if there is no successor or replacement for it well into 2017 and 2018, perhaps the NX will be the premium alternative, with better build materials and such. $250 would be an easier pill to swallow in that case.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So no official date for news? Isn't it releasing in 6 months?
The closest we have gotten to an official date for NX news is October 26/27 due to Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release and Corporate Management Policy Briefing*/FY 2016 Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing, with potential news conference on October 26.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

I know I may be sounding like a broken record here, but this is really the only direct word from Nintendo we have on upcoming events.

ggx2ac

The rumour from Eurogamer about the detachable controllers acting as standalone controllers for multiplayer annoys me when looking at the other rumours. They put that rumour out before the other rumour appeared about the detachable controllers acting as Wii Remotes.

So most people thought that the detachable controllers acted as sideways controllers but, I've already gone over why I think that's unlikely.

nkvUJew.jpg

Looking at this again, we had a conflict occur where one source claimed the right side of the face buttons were above the circle pad, the other said below.

Due to the lack of information about the dev kits, (what model they are) we don't know what the latest dev kit is. I have to look at this in different ways.

I already talked about standalone sideways controllers, now I'm going to talk about standalone Wii Remotes for the detachable controllers.

Emily states that there are at least 2 shoulder buttons, problem is from every mock-up seen from Emily and LPVG have no shoulder buttons sighted.

Some people stated that it probably wasn't important because there wasn't anything special. So the annoyance of subjectivity and conjecture comes into play.

Either there are shoulder buttons but they weren't anything special that they didn't need to be drawn, or maybe they were incorrectly labeled and should have been mentioned as trigger buttons.

The problem is that trigger buttons have also been on shoulders of controllers as seen in the Xbox 360 and PS3, however you'd know from the Wii Remote and the N64 controller that a trigger button is placed behind a controller, not on the shoulder.

So I think that the shoulder buttons mentioned by Emily are actually trigger buttons placed behind the detachable controllers.

Now, about the detachable controllers. I'm starting to think that they are supposed to be symmetric when attached to the NX. That means they should appear as the NX displayed on the right of the image above.

Why? For the sake of symmetry with standalone detachable controllers in multiplayer acting as Wii Remotes. I can imagine that compared to the old Wii Remote, the D-pad is replaced by the circle pad and, the 1,2 buttons are replaced by A,B,X,Y or split D-pad face buttons. The trigger button would be placed behind the controller near the top.

In a sense, I am pointing out how it is similar to the old Wii Remote so that BC using these controllers would be possible. (Via the Virtual Console mind you.)

This is why I couldn't see this working with the asymmetric controllers on Emily's mock-up of the NX. You'd have to flip one of the controller around and whether there's a shoulder button or trigger button on there, it would be flipped to the other side towards your chest. So you can't even have symmetric Wii Remotes, I doubt Nintendo are planning some kind of Asymmetric Wii Remote function that wouldn't apparently cause confusion for consumers.

So I'm thinking that, if the Eurogamer rumour is true about detachable controllers acting as standalone for multiplayer. Then for it to work in Wii Remote style, that means the NX should be the device on the right for the image above which has symmetric detachable controllers.

If the rumour is fake/wrong. Then the detachable controllers don't act as standalone multiplayer controllers and hence the NX device should look like the one on the left that has asymmetric detachable controllers.

(I already gave my reasons on the pages before about why I don't expect standalone detachable sideways controllers for multiplayer, I don't really want to bother with that again.)

cacildo

Meh, the impressions of people seeing it on 4k HDR tvs tell a different story.

I own a 4k tv and the only 4k content that i see ever being offered are the netflix shows
Do they look better than regular shows? No one can tell the difference
Is 4k in games something really that different?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I believe checkerboard is patented by Sony. They could probably do something similar though.
A certain implementation - perhaps. Interlaced imaging + reprojection existed in the friggin '80s.

Peru

We're now at a point where Sony and MS seem quite desperate to have their hardware compete with PCs. That's an expensive race. I'm very glad Nintendo is not taking part in it.

Sheroking

I own a 4k tv and the only 4k content that i see ever being offered are the netflix shows
Do they look better than regular shows? No one can tell the difference
Is 4k in games something really that different?

You're either looking at a 25 inch monitor or blind.

There's a pretty big difference between 1080p and 2160p (4K). Four times the pixels makes
a significant difference in image clarity and detail on a big screen.

cacildo

You're either looking at a 25 inch monitor or blind.

There's a pretty big difference between 1080p and 2160p (4K). Four times the pixels makes
a significant difference in image clarity and detail on a big screen.

Its a 55 inch tv
Ive had several friends in my house and ive showed the "4k fireplace" from netflix to all of em. We all laughed at how stupid it was, but no one said anything about picture quality. Also netflix has some nature shows that are just 4k showcases. Ive showed em to several friends and family. No one was inpressed

Not even me.

Maybe it just dosent work with stremed content
Or maybe 4k aint something that special

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Its a 55 inch tv
Ive had several friends in my house and ive showed the "4k fireplace" from netflix to all of em. We all laughed at how stupid it was, but no one said anything about picture quality. Also netflix has some nature shows that are just 4k showcases. Ive showed em to several friends and family. No one was inpressed

Not even me.

Maybe it just dosent work with stremed content
Or maybe 4k aint something that special
Or just maybe you're sitting naturally at a sufficiently far distance from your tv that normal human vision cannot pick the difference. Try sticking your face in the screen next time ;p

Ck1

Banned
Why are people acting like they don't know Nintendo stance which has never changed. It's all about gameplay and experience with them. 4k is something worth doing if it improves a gameplay or experience of a game... not just wow look at them graphics.

Which is also why Nintendo will push the NX hardware to do more than just pretty up textures!
There's not one exclusive game on the PS3, 360, XbOne or PS4 that has a more impressive physics engine than BoTW and that was done on outdated hardware...

Which is also why Nintendo will push the NX hardware to do more than just pretty up textures!
There's not one exclusive game on the PS3, 360, XbOne or PS4 that has a more impressive physics engine than BoTW and that was done on outdated hardware...

Hm, the physics are nothing we never saw before. What is different from other games is the fact that they use a lot of different physics in an open world game.
But it is clearly not the most impressive thing...look at Days Gone. Absolutly amazing.

Leizt

Neo Member
According to Twitter, Amazon posted this this morning for a split scond and someone from France managed to to print-screen it : ) Now if it is true or fake can't say.

According to Twitter, Amazon posted this this morning for a split scond and someone from France managed to to print-screen it : ) Now if it is true or fake can't say.
So Twitter said it was posted on Amazon? Wow please be true!

Tbh this is reminding me of the KHIII that "popped" up for NX a few weeks ago and was fake lol c

Just look at their history. When was the last time they gave launch details more than 3 months in advance, let alone 6?

I can't remember

Just look up the body of text and you'll find no matching results for it.

Well...time to move on lol...another day another fake

No way that this is real. Don't get yourself fooled so fast, Gaf.

On the other hand did Amazon leak the Zelda Artwork and a lot of other things. Well...no, it's a fake.

jeffers

had a quick search and no one on twitter is talking about it, except asking if its true linking to the same thing. you think there'd be some orphaned replies saying 'omgz', though depends how long it was up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom