• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azoo

Neo Member
This is pretty much basically an old mock (predating the hybrid rumors) that have posted several times. It's a simple solution that works as an hybrid of a Free Degrees of Freedom motion controller and a traditional Dual Analog 2 handed one.

The solution applied to the NX would be quite elegant:
  • Basically a Dual Analog controller with a touch screen in the middle when attached.
  • A Dual Analog Wii Remote/Nunchuck combo for 1 player when detached.
  • 2 player out of the box gaming with a Remote motion controller for each user.
  • A more traditional Dual Analog controller for 1 player when the 2 halves are joined together, preferably without a coupler.
  • Sell the halves in pairs as extra controllers for multiplayer.

I'd be inclined to agree that this sounds great, but the bolded is my only concern. I'd imagine it'd need a coupler of sorts to not be a crampingly close together (and unattractive) block.

Whether that just makes this more complicated than it should, I don't know for sure, but I feel it'd be necessary.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So all signs point to the NX abandoning the TV button, which is kind of a bummer. When WiiU launched, I figured powering on the TV and switching inputs would be a stable of controllers going froward. It's just so convenient to launch a game on the controller screen and power on the television without the need for an extra remote.

BY2K

Membero Americo
GAF goes full Frieza and blows up the earth

Edit: I just remembered that there's Pokemon news tomorrow. An NX announcement date is there for unlikely, so a pre-TGS reveal if practically ruled out now.

If they could do that AFTER I play BotW that'd be nice.

So all signs point to the NX abandoning the TV button, which is kind of a bummer. When WiiU launched, I figured powering on the TV and switching inputs would be a stable of controllers going froward. It's just so convenient to launch a game on the controller screen and power on the television without the need for an extra remote.
I assume there won't be much if any 2nd screen stuff so a TV button is likely not necessary at this point

It's April and you're crying. Making insane outbursts towards Nintendo that you will never listen to them ever again, as the NX and Zelda were to be released last month.

It's been two years of constantly posting on forums. All the insane speculations, sketches, rumors and "alleged" insiders finally get to you. Enraged, you think to yourself, "how can such a great company not deliver to their most hardcore fans?".

You go online and suddenly, Nintendo has pulled down all interviews, videos and talk of the NX and BotW. Reggie is pressed for interviews. Constantly being asked what happened. He refuses to comment and praises the great software that you can only experience on the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.

You begin to scream and shout that, you don't understand. Furious, you throw your gamepad like a throwing star across the room. After the meltdown, you head out to work. But, while heading downstairs, you hear something.

You go downstairs and Kimishima, dressed in a red santa outfit. You quickly realized that it's not Christmas, and you've been so fazed by the NX that you may be hallucinating. But, no, it's true. Kimishima-claus can be seen bursting out the door.

You chase after him, screaming and panting. Sprinting and out of breath, you blink, and he is out of sight. Exhausted, you return home, thinking about posting online. How Nintendo has lost your trust and it's connection with it's fans. Starting petitions online to have Nintendo join Sony and Microsoft. The most rotten and ill Nintendo thoughts ever.

Heading home, you open the door, anticipating your posts you're about to make online. One tear sheds from your eye, realizing you and Nintendo are no more.

As you open the door, something is different. You notice a random box on the floor. You open the box carefully, sweating and that one tear is still dropping down your face. Your greasy palms cannot believe what you're looking at.

It's the Nintendo NX and a copy of Breath of the Wild. A note is attached, saying, "please understand".

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What happens if no NX reveal this month?

It'll get revealed later.

Though I do personally think missing the holiday season in terms of announcements will hurt in terms of budgeting for some.

I'm not sure how much though.

I do think it will hurt in terms of stock/investment wise if they go through the rest of the year with just lip service vs actual reveal info.

DooMAGE

the lack of oficial Nintendo news is driving ppl insane.
Cmon Ninty, it's september already!!!

Even Eurogamer said that the reveal will be this month, if there is no reveal this month, the Eurogamer rumour was all wrong.

Smellycat

I am not going to lie. The wait for an announcement of an announcement is unbearable!!

I feel like the wait for the actual unveiling will be easier after knowing the date. Right now, it is just frustrating....

ggx2ac

I doubt Nintendo will be able to ship many NX units if they wait until January/February to reveal NX.

They're not Apple, they don't have Apple stores littered around the world.

They're coming off the Wii U and I doubt stores like GameStop will stock many units and will just go off of preorder numbers.

So with this random reasoning, I'd only expect a delay of the NX if they don't reveal it late September/early October.

And then I wait for October 27th for Nintendo's financial briefing with investors.

The NX became self aware on August 29th 1997. In a panic Nintendo tried to pull the plug. The NX then launched its nuclear missiles at Sony, knowing the counterattack would wipe out Nintendo.

Also...
www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-05-metroid-prime-federation-force-flops
Read the last sentence.
IIRC, Tanabe said that it was too late to make a Metroid game for Wii U so it would have to be NX.
How trust the report if even this simple info failed?
Things like planned dates can change internally especially over a month in advance.
I believe this was before Sony's event was announced so that could give Nintendo a strong reason to move the date

Neoxon

the lack of oficial Nintendo news is driving ppl insane.
Cmon Ninty, it's september already!!!

Even Eurogamer said that the reveal will be this month, if there is no reveal this month, the Eurogamer rumour was all wrong.
Either that or Nintendo may have chose to push back the reveal to avoid competition with Sony & Apple.

Either way, I do expect a reveal in the near future.

udivision

Either that or Nintendo may have chose to push back the reveal to avoid competition with Sony & Apple.

Either way, I do expect a reveal in the near future.

Pretty crazy how we went from "Year of the NX" to "Other companies are announcing hardware so Nintendo should probably wait".

ggx2ac

On September 7th, Apple has their event at 10am PT/1pm ET, while Sony has their event at 3pm ET.

One of them will have their event drowned out by the other on the mainstream press afterwards.

kunonabi

My tv remotes are all in a closet somewhere since I use the game pad for practically everything. It will certainly be sad to that functionality go.

maxcriden

Not directly admit it. More like they made it more clear that it is meant as build up for some type of joke/parody video for tomorrow.

On wednesday everyone is looking on Sony and fridays aren't great for announcements.

Not from what I can tell. Seems like the opposite going by their FB comments and follow-up post today.

Still don't believe it, of course, for the obvious reasons.

I'm using google translate to read their posts but nothing seems to indicate that they've admitted it's a hoax or prank. The blurry photo of the person holding the controller seems to be the best evidence, but they seem to be acting like it's real. I guess maybe it's a type of satire which doesn't translate very well?

I would guess because Wednesday is the Playstation and Apple conference date, and Nintendo rarely drop big news on Fridays.

AFAIK, it hasn't actually been confirmed as a clickbait prank (one GAFfer claimed he knew one of the site's editors and that it was a prank that got out of hand, but didn't offer proof). Just seems to be the most likely guess, given the implausibility of an obscure German fansite getting an exclusive of this magnitude.

Looking at the FB comments on their most recent follow-up post, the site's editors still seem to be trying to convince people that it's not a hoax. I don't see this ending well for them.

https://www.facebook.com/10doDirekt/posts/1206946229336347

Thanks for the info, all. We shall see what happens! I'm hoping for Nintendo news this week but perhaps they'll want to wait till after the Sony hullaballoo.

TunaLover

Yeah, I have my TV sync to my receiver so I only needed the gamepad to get ready all my setup :3

udivision

On September 7th, Apple has their event at 10am PT/1pm ET, while Sony has their event at 3pm ET.

One of them will have their event drowned out by the other on the mainstream press afterwards.

Unless Sony's "We're going to aggressively target mobile" has some other implications as well...

What are the rumored dates we'll hear something?

My body has been ready, now growing old and frail.

The 6th (lol) and the 20th (hah).

The real surprise will be when the NX is revealed at the Apple conference, and we discover the system is a collaboration between Nintendo and Apple.

I'd say October 14th would be the latest I'd expect NX to be revealled. Nintendo has usually held directs in between mid-September to Mid-October unveiling their major releases in the first half of the following year.

AniHawk

If nx isn't shown this month, my prediction is that there will be at least three threads on October first complaining about how Nintendo lied.

what if it is revealed on october 1 so nintendo can announce it in collaboration with matchbox twenty's 20th year anniversary of 'yourself or someone like you'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom