• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

4qu4lung

Neo Member
It's time for some damage control as this is getting crazy. There will be no breaking NX news today on 10do.de or 10doTV. This is always the same problem when things get translated from one language to another. There are subtle notes in all of our posts indicating what we are up to and why we are doing it.

On the other hand it's another proof for what we were expecting. People and media just believe in any kind of "news" without reading carefully, investigating, questioning the sources or at least asking the authors for a statement.

Still the video today will be very funny and it will be about NX. But only in German, sorry.

It's time for some damage control as this is getting crazy. There will be no breaking NX news today on 10do.de or 10doTV. This is always the same problem when things get translated from one language to another. There are subtle notes in all of our posts indicating what we are up to and why we are doing it.

On the other hand it's another proof for what we were expecting. People and media just believe in any kind of "news" without reading carefully, investigating, questioning the sources or at least asking the authors for a statement.

Still the video today will be very funny and it will be about NX. But only in German, sorry.

LOL, so this is all about allying with SuperMetalDave et al in NX Home Console trutherism? Fuck off.

I have yet to see a mock-up that would actually work well. Since the NX will play games like Breath of the Wild that require a lot of buttons, each side of the handheld will need to have as many buttons as a Wii U GamePad or at the minimum two scroll wheels instead of four shoulder buttons, to be big and comfortable enough to replace the Wii remote, and to have stick and button placement that makes it comfortable to play in regular handheld mode. Meaning, an analog stick all the way at the bottom right corner is a giant no-no.

These things need to be comfortable, fully-featured and relatively portable. I have no idea how they can pull it off. Nobody here did.

That's a bit of a stretch, I doubt it's running on the same hardware from 30 years ago.

It doesn't even let you use your old NES cartridges.

Considering it offers Virtual Console features including restore points, I don't think you need to "doubt" that.

oti

Banned
Someone made this mock up, not sure if it has been posted

I think the detachable controllers would be rounder on all sides, but that's just me. It seems like a pretty good visualization of what it could be like, though. Hadn't thought of a "gameboy" mode, but I'm not sure that'll be comfortable (holding a 6" tablet by the bottom like that sounds really heavy)

Gameboy mode looks teeeeeerribly uncomfortable.

I don't think Pokemon news will impact things one way or the other. Going by the 3DS Direct, it seems GameFreak saves the big reveals for its own hype cycle, so there's no reason Nintendo wouldn't do the same.

I could see benefits to both Tuesday and Thursday. Tuesday, Nintendo could steal some thunder from Sony ahead of their Neo announcement, and it would be consistent with pattern of announcements for presentations on Tuesdays. On the other hand, a Tuesday announcement of the reveal has the potential to get buried the very next day by Apple and Sony (however, if this is just a save the date announcement, would Nintendo really care if it gets buried? They could always re-drum up hype closer to the event). Thursday has the obvious advantage of being after Apple/Sony, which could lead to increased attention, though I'm not currently sure of any other advantages.

I just don't think Nintendo will do it because of the Pokemon news. Even though, in the grand scheme of things announcing the NX reveal date won't impact the Pokemon news, it just seems like something Nintendo wouldn't do still. Thursday seems to make the most sense for this week.

10do says clearly we should wait for 4pm today in germany before we call their article blickbaity or even cruel. If it is all just a joke they take it a little bit to serious.
But what could such a little website really know? I think absolutly nothing. It will be a terrible hoax in the end which will kill the reputation of the site forever.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
today Nintendo and TPC are releasing new Pokemon info.
I can't see them "overshadowing" that with a NX direct announcement.

Maiar_m

today Nintendo and TPC are releasing new Pokemon info.
I can't see them "overshadowing" that with a NX direct announcement.

Unless it's with a "you'll be able to play Pokemon Sun and Moon on your Nintendo NX, but more on that next week".

Team CGI

CrisKre

Isnt it more logical for them to announce the announcement (lol) tomorrow to get some buzz before ps4 neo announcement?

Totally.
Any suggestion for the casting?

I want to be played by Sharlto Copley. I'll spiral into a frenzied state of disbelief as I watch every NX thread closed, only to be followed by 3 new ones. Finale is a murder suicide involving 10k, kagamin (no fun allowed), Dystify and NateDrake.

I don't know what's killing me more:
- The NX wait
- The NX announcement wait
- The announcement for the NX announcement wait
- The dumb, unfounded yet undying hope that we'll see a good Metroid on NX
- The even dumber, more unfounded yet still undying hope that we'll see this Metroid sooner rather than later
- Repeat the last two, but substitute Metroid with F-Zero.

kagamin

Übermatik;216006379 said:
I want to be played by Sharlto Copley. I'll spiral into a frenzied state of disbelief as I watch every NX thread closed, only to be followed by 3 new ones. Finale is a murder suicide involving 10k, kagamin (no fun allowed), Dystify and NateDrake.

Going for the dramatic ending I see, I like it.

AniHawk

the thing that still gets me about the proposed design is the controller size. i have a feeling these will be pronged like the n64 controller's sides, just because it would work better once it's in console mode. holding two four-inch rectangles doesn't sound very comfortable.

Lutherian

I don't know what's killing me more:
- The dumb, unfounded yet undying hope that we'll see a good Metroid on NX
- The even dumber, more unfounded yet still undying hope that we'll see this Metroid sooner rather than later

Oh but we will. Kensuke Tanabe hinted it and you should see the
post credit scene
of Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

imjust1n

Banned
It sucks that all of this got leaked wasn't Nintendo trying hard to not leak info? I'm hoping they show us something this month.

Oh but we will. Kensuke Tanabe hinted it and you should see the
post credit scene
of Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

I know about this, but Federation Force bombed HARD, and there's no indication that a new Prime is in development at all beyond early planning.

Peru

Re: NX news, Paper Mario: Color Splash is releasing Oct 7th 2016. Should we really expect any NX news before that date? Wouldn't they rather get all the main Wii U games out of the way first then announce anything NX?

I don't think Paper Mario stops the NX reveal. Then they could go on with Pokemon and other 3DS titles.

But I do think the Neo thing has to be done with before Nintendo says anything.

Roo

It sucks that all of this got leaked wasn't Nintendo trying hard to not leak info? I'm hoping they show us something this month.

I mean, the longer they wait, the more prone they are to info leaking
At this point I'm surprised there isn't even devkit photos so close to launch so that's quite an archievement at least.

The more I think about it, the more I think this thing will fall flat. Seems too big to be portable and too weak to be a rival for PS4. I'm struggling to see what niche it is trying to fill.

I know people carry tablets around with them, but do said people really want yet another device to carry?

Peru

The more I think about it, the more I think this thing will fall flat. Seems too big to be portable and too weak to be a rival for PS4. I'm struggling to see what niche it is trying to fill.

I know people carry tablets around with them, but do said people really want yet another device to carry?

It's not a rival for the PS4 and shouldn't be whether portable or stationary.

The niche it is trying to fill is very clear, unlike what another PSXBONE copy would be. That niche is people who are into Nintendo games and Japanese console experiences. Because it has all the Nintendo games + their portable stalwarts (JP 3rd party RPGs etc) it's a more enticing package than Nintendo consoles before. It ties together handheld and console markets. People are ensured no software draught.

Its pure power being a notch above this or a notch beneath that is irrelevant.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The niche that includes 60 million people currently.

Also, your post sounds like you don't care at all about games and you buy hardware only based on perceived power or size.

Re: NX news, Paper Mario: Color Splash is releasing Oct 7th 2016. Should we really expect any NX news before that date? Wouldn't they rather get all the main Wii U games out of the way first then announce anything NX?
It's readily apparent that Nintendo really doesn't care that much about Colour Spalsh by this point. I don't see it affecting anything as big as the NX reveal.

I mean, it's perfectly possible that the reveal will be after that date, but I don't think it'll be because of that.

It will appeal to the 3DS and Wii U userbases by virtue of being Nintendo alone.

Furthermore it might appeal to gaming enthusiasts as a tablet replacement if it has decent support outside of games (good browser or Chrome support, Youtube...)

Maiar_m

The niche it is trying to fill is very clear, unlike what another PSXBONE copy would be. That niche is people who are into Nintendo games and Japanese console experiences. Because it has all the Nintendo games + their portable stalwarts (JP 3rd party RPGs etc) it's a more enticing package than Nintendo consoles before. It ties together handheld and console markets. People are ensured no software draught.

That, plus split-screen multiplayer (if that's a niche. I'm so sad it's become a niche). If any of the leaks have truth to them, it sounds like Nintendo is trying to bring the Japanese Vita market, worldwide 3DS audience and its own first-party licenses console enthusiasts together with one package. It's a rather smart move (but I'm biased) and doesn't make them compete directly in a market where they are absolutely not needed (PSXBONE indeed).

Rodin

I know about this, but Federation Force bombed HARD, and there's no indication that a new Prime is in development at all beyond early planning.
A spin off that almost nobody wanted isn't an indication of sales a new chapter can reach, and we're still talking about Japan (which never showed particular interest in the series) and UK (where Nintendo is almost non existent these days). If anything, the reactions to FF with people asking for a new "proper" Metroid and all the successful indie titles with a metroid-like structure should be more than enough for Nintendo to see that there is an audience for Metroid in the current market. And the NX seems like the perfect platform for a new game.

Nintendo isn't going after a niche audience, they want wii numbers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo isn't going after a niche audience, they want wii numbers.

Speaking of this, it hit me last night. Wii launched with Zelda TP and Wii Sports. NX will launch with Zelda BoW and probably Mario Sports. And has motion controls. Only Red Steel is missing.

4qu4lung

Neo Member
10do says clearly we should wait for 4pm today in germany before we call their article blickbaity or even cruel. If it is all just a joke they take it a little bit to serious.
But what could such a little website really know? I think absolutly nothing. It will be a terrible hoax in the end which will kill the reputation of the site forever.

Well, it's not just a plain joke. But it is obviously not an official Direct either. C'mon guys even the original news was full of subtle indications so everyone could smell the satire. The second announcement was even more obvious.

There will be an official statement today alongside with our video. And if you like, I will translate some of it and post it here as well.

We are sorry, if you got it wrong. But it was 1) never meant to go worldwide and 2) we didn't expect that media and fans would be really that blind and naive.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And Wii was going for what was then considered a niche. Plus I don't know that they're so convinced they can strike golden luck twice in a lifetime.

I don't think they are convinced, but they have to try. It's one of the few remaining options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom