• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
We already know that the PlayStation 4 has taken a strong lead in the early goings of the latest console generation, but where are those millions of customers coming from? According to DealNews, one of the key factors to Sony’s success has been converting the “swing gamers” — Xbox owners who have decided to ditch the Microsoft brand for PlayStation this generation.

A survey of 1,727 readers revealed that 35% of gamers who owned both the Xbox 360 and PS3 have opted to purchase a PlayStation 4 while only 23% bought an Xbox One. Brand loyalty was a major selling point for gamers who only owned one last-gen console, but “dual owners” are skewed in Sony’s direction, primarily because of the enhanced specifications. Whether or not the ongoing 1080p controversy will stick around as headline news for much longer remains to be seen, but it’s certainly turned some heads post-launch.

http://games.yahoo.com/news/xbox-owners-deserting-microsoft-consoles-playstation-4-174504783.html

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If the Xbox One was as powerful as the PS4 and launched at the same price without Kinect then the mass exodus would not be happening.

Why? Why doesn't everybody just enjoy every console exclusive games? People are wasting a lot of good experiences due to fanboyism. I wont "switch" im keeping them all.

Amir0x

Banned
Describes me. Primary 360 and PC gamer, 90% of all my online time on the 360, most of all my gaming purchases there.

Now I am primary PS4 and PC gamer, and like how I waited until Uncharted 2 came out before jumping on PS3, I don't intend to jump to XBO until it's $299.99. I simply go where the environment for gaming is best, companies don't concern me

Ploid 3.0

That first impression really screwed them. Stepped all over xbox core gamers for tv and sports. Xbox One name was another of the many what the heck moments.

PJV3

Why? Why doesn't everybody just enjoy every console exclusive games? People are wasting a lot of good experiences due to fanboyism. I wont "switch" im keeping them all.

Some people aren't that devoted to the hobby or have other things requiring funds.

geordiemp

I Guess our house is one of them, mainly 360 x 2 (did not use Ps3 much except odd exclusive)....now 2 x Ps4.

Bad performance in multiplat games really bugs me to the point I loose enjoyment, cant stand screen tearing, poor FPS, Vaseline smudged screens.

Was not happy with either of the next gen consoles, I expected more GPU and CPU grunt for a £ 400 console where I am subsidising the hardware in software pricing for the next 7 years...

Ps4 was the lesser of the evils, and unless MS unleash some serious extra grunt / drivers / performance...

Was really interested in Titanfall being a COD player, but it looks like something I could forgive 5 years ago....

netBuff

That first impression really screwed them. Stepped all over xbox core gamers for tv and sports.

Xbone is also a significantly worse machine than PS4 at a higher price point.

Because MS has had a terrible line-up of exclusives for years now, so that might Xbone not make worth the purchase of $500 for just a handful of games.

BigDug13

Online. People don't want to pay for two online ecosystems per year so they'll only choose one now that both major systems (sorry Nintendo) charge for online.

Plus, buying a system just for the exclusives and ignoring the rest of the library on that system isn't a win for that company.

Man

Time and money is the most common reason.
I have bought every console on launch day since the 90's but I'm only going PS4 this generation due to Microsoft and Nintendo shitting the bed.

DocSeuss

I don't doubt it, but is a poll on Yahoo really a "report?"

From a site that considers Thief a "stellar addition" to the games coming out right now?

Because MS has had a terrible line-up of exclusives for years now, so that might Xbone not make worth the purchase of $500 for just a handful of games.

Right now, Microsoft is beating the crap out of Sony in the exclusives department, with a stronger launch line up, a stronger selection of developers (nobody at Sony can touch Remedy or Insomniac--nobody), and more announced games, with more to come.

Sony, weirdly, is completely failing to deliver.

And heck, it's actually performing better on a few multiplatform games (wtf).

C4Lukins

That seems obvious just by the sales alone. But at least what you quoted, this pertains to people who owned both PS3 and 360. I would not call it abandonment when these people were already invested in both MS and Sony, I also doubt that they bought both of these consoles day one. So the actual headline should be "Those that owned 360 and PS3 are buying PS4 at a higher percentage then Xbox One." You know that would be the accurate thing to say. Not as sexy, but accurate to the story. Not so sexy, but who needs context?

Title doesn't accurately reflect the OP.

OP said:
A survey of 1,727 readers revealed that 35% of gamers who owned both the Xbox 360 and PS3 have opted to purchase a PlayStation 4 while only 23% bought an Xbox One.

This is really about where people who owned the PS3 and 360 are going.

theWB27

PS360 owner all last gen. Definitely favor Xbox, but my conscience keeps telling me PS4 first while everything else is Xbox..........X1 first. I did try the DS4 at a Gamestop and whoa does that controller feel nice.

Amir0x

Banned
Wonder what it will take to get them back, MS can't afford to screw up this year.

They've already took the first step with lots of 180s. The second step was ensuring plenty of quality game content in the future, which they seemingly have (I've got a bunch of XBO games I want already of what has been announced). The third step is getting the system down to a price that is acceptable for the level of tech inside. A bonus would be if they remove Kinect, but as long as it's $299.99, I'll just toss the thing myself since that's my entry point either way.

Theman2k

Yeah, if you can manage to buy one, second month in a row without a single unit in stores.

People with pre orders from December still waiting to get one.

Crazy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Report: some last generation multi console owners are choosing PS4 over Xbox one as their first new console.

There are endless reasons. It's enough to drop so much money on just the console and games but then two different online services as well? Now more than ever gamers have every reason in the world to just pick one or the other.

xkramz

We already know that the PlayStation 4 has taken a strong lead in the early goings of the latest console generation, but where are those millions of customers coming from? According to DealNews, one of the key factors to Sony’s success has been converting the “swing gamers” — Xbox owners who have decided to ditch the Microsoft brand for PlayStation this generation.

A survey of 1,727 readers revealed that 35% of gamers who owned both the Xbox 360 and PS3 have opted to purchase a PlayStation 4 while only 23% bought an Xbox One. Brand loyalty was a major selling point for gamers who only owned one last-gen console, but “dual owners” are skewed in Sony’s direction, primarily because of the enhanced specifications. Whether or not the ongoing 1080p controversy will stick around as headline news for much longer remains to be seen, but it’s certainly turned some heads post-launch.

only 1.7k i understand that bold claim if it was a survey of over 1mil. or something

but with that said. the ps4 is selling like hot cakes. the price per performance is above the xbox one

Ryne

I had a 360 first last gen, but the heavy shooter focus of the 360 has made me change my mind for this gen.

BigDug13

Indeed, and all the more crazy because they had an awesome games lineup, there was no need to dilute the gaming side of it so much in that initial reveal.

They honestly thought 360 gamers weren't going anywhere and used the XBO reveal to try to generate hype with non gamers. They must have really thought Sony was just twiddling their thumbs this whole time.

Ovek

7Member7
Well yeah, thing is I really wanted a xbone (well before the announcements anyway) and the biggest hold back is the fucking ridiculous design of the box itself... Everything about it is so piss poorly done it untrue, from making it horizontal only (fuckng dumb) to the stupid external PSU everything about it makes me scratch my head in dumbfounded amazement that someone though this box was the one to go with.

geordiemp

I mainly play COD, and my excitement for upcoming games is destiny / Borderlands / Mass effect.

Multiplat for me, last gen hardly touched my Ps3 for 360, this gen Ps4 seemed the easy choice seeing X1 could not run COD at settings I would consider acceptable for next gen

That could change, I have no loyalty, but X1 is going to have to step up in performance seriously...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"We deliberately didn't target high end graphics".

Yeah. How is that working out for you MS.

only 1.7k i understand that bold claim if it was a survey of over 1mil. or something

1k is what Gallup does for their polling

The typical survey includes at least 1,000 individuals. In some countries, Gallup collects oversamples in major cities or areas of special interest. Additionally, in some large countries, such as China and Russia, sample sizes of at least 2,000 are collected. Although rare, in some instances the sample size is between 500 and 1,000.

http://www.gallup.com/strategicconsulting/156923/worldwide-research-methodology.aspx

Im not talking about the people who cant afford it. Im talking about the people who can yet they dont. And im not talking about multiplats games, im obviously talking about exclusives. I mean, sticking yourself with xbox wont let you experience a beautiful game like TLOU. Sticking yourself with playstation wont let you experience a beautiful game like Halo. Not to forget Nintendo's amazing platform games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom