• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

Im not talking about the people who cant afford it. Im talking about the people who can yet they dont. And im not talking about multiplats games, im obviously talking about exclusives. I mean, sticking yourself with xbox wont let you experience a beautiful game like TLOU. Sticking yourself with playstation wont let you experience a beautiful game like Halo. Not to forget Nintendo's amazing platform games.

A vast majority of people who own a game console aren't in the hobby at your level though. Most people only want to experience a set number of game franchises and aren't in it to try to experience everything possible in gaming. Yeah they'll miss out on the latest Smash Bros by avoiding the Wii-U, but a vast majority of consumers couldn't care less.

derfybzh

I'm not I got both and I play most of the time on my XBOX One, PVZ and Titanfall are taking most of my time. I wait to see if Second son can power my PS4 who is a Pinball Arcade machine for the moment .
I can understand that Xone is overpriced for a lot of people.

Sweep14

I don't doubt it, but is a poll on Yahoo really a "report?"

From a site that considers Thief a "stellar addition" to the games coming out right now?

Right now, Microsoft is beating the crap out of Sony in the exclusives department, with a stronger launch line up, a stronger selection of developers (nobody at Sony can touch Remedy or Insomniac--nobody), and more announced games, with more to come.

Sony, weirdly, is completely failing to deliver.

And heck, it's actually performing better on a few multiplatform games (wtf).

Well ND, SSM, SP & Media Molecule beg to differ about your strong MS devs...

And Sony's lineup is on par with what MS has got.

Capella

From a site that considers Thief a "stellar addition" to the games coming out right now?

Right now, Microsoft is beating the crap out of Sony in the exclusives department, with a stronger launch line up, a stronger selection of developers (nobody at Sony can touch Remedy or Insomniac--nobody), and more announced games, with more to come.

lol what? Maybe in some alternative universe where ND and SSM don't exist. I get that we all have our own opinions and preferences but really?

Don't really understand blind loyalist attitude though.
Yeah. I know a few myself. They just want MS because that's what they've been playing since the first XBOX.

But a couple of them are sharing their disappointments with the specs and resolution thing. I can see it in them. They're getting close to jumping out! I think if it wasn't for Titanfall, they might have.

David___

Banned
Ahhahaha, oh god. This is something else right here.
Microsoft with the superior selection of developers? Someone wake this guy up.

Is this perhaps just very poorly done sarcasm? Or a joke poster?

He said Insomniac was on of those superior developers. That should tell you everything.

HUELEN10

I don't think I fall in with the people in this article. I only own one current-gen console, the successor to my primary 7th-gen console, but in the 7th gen, the Xbox 360 was my number 2. I don't see myself getting a PS4 before I get the One. All it needs is more games that I am into to be out and maybe a price drop, and I'm in.

Like, as a whole, and again this is coming from someone who has their favorites, but is all about the game regardless of platform, the Xbox experience is a lot more worth it to me than the Playstation one, specially as far as paid services are concerned. For me, PlayStation plus really is off-putting (not saying it's bad, it's just not my cup of tea), and I don't really care much for the DualShock 4. to those who fall into the article, did you adjust well to the DS4 after using a 360 pad for so long, or are you still adjusting? To me, the PS4 seems like another PS2, which just isn't my thing. Not saying it's bad or anything, it's just not for me. The One feels like enough of a 360-2 so to speak, and that's appealing to me. Like the article said, a lot of prior "dual-owners" want to go with the better hardware, but hardware is only part of the puzzle to me.

Now, as I said prior, I'm no fanboy; it's all about the games. To me, one of the reasons to get one console over another is exclusives. Now, if all consoles have series exclusives, which may have been the reason of buying a particular seventh gen in the first place, it really strikes me as odd that so many would go to a platform where they might not have those games. It just strikes me as odd. Then again, a lot of things now are multiplat, but I've never been that into those to be honest, so I couldn't say.

Seanspeed

Banned
I do tend to enjoy Microsoft's first party stuff more than Sony's, despite the ridiculous hype that Sony's titles get around here, but I still would have bought a PS4. Its just better value and when I mainly play multiplatform stuff, the PS4 is obviously the better option.

I'm sure a lot of these 'dual owners' will buy the other console at some point down the line. Just not at the current price points.

geordiemp

The crazy thing is that MS could've taken this generation easily if they:

1) More or equal specs as PS4.

2) Kinect not required

Amen, would of bought X1 in a heartbeat if it had a 7870 and a decent CPU and no Kinect...Could of left controller as it was...

Would of saved them billions in R&D...god knows what they were thinking

A vast majority of people who own a game console aren't in the hobby at your level though. Most people only want to experience a set number of game franchises and aren't in it to try to experience everything possible in gaming. Yeah they'll miss out on the latest Smash Bros by avoiding the Wii-U, but a vast majority of consumers couldn't care less.

My level? I consider it gaming at best level.

DBT85

I'm sure many that have both of last gen st this point will also get both of this gen eventually. But at the start the majority have to choose one. In most peoples case, they didn't choose One.

And it was Microsoft themselves who have caused the exodus, not Sony doing anything special per se.

Sony will be loving all the extra revenue from multiplat sales on their console too.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
$399, 50 % faster, cheaper online service that provides more value. The outcome is obvious from the onset.

I expect things to change when MS reacts by dropping the price, with the PS4 still maintaining the lead.

iMax

It seems MS wants consumers to not be informed in their purchases. I'm not anti-Xbox or anything like that, but the value of the XB1 just cannot compare to the PS4. I cannot understand the reasoning behind the people buying the XB1. No offense to those that did, but in my eyes that was a bad decision. But I guess opinions.

This gif doesn't work here.

Kinda does, dude. Standard hyperbole.

David___

Banned
I'm sure many that have both of last gen st this point will also get both of this gen eventually. But at the start the majority have to choose one. In most peoples case, they didn't choose One.

Sony will be loving all the extra revenue from multiplat sales on their console too.

Don't forget the yearly PS+ fees.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It seems MS wants consumers to not be informed in their purchases. I'm not anti-Xbox or anything like that, but the value of the XB1 just cannot compare to the PS4. I cannot understand the reasoning behind the people buying the XB1. No offense to those that did, but in my eyes that was a bad decision.

No offense. LOL. My son does that. Says the most outrageous things to you and then adds "no offence".

Getting back to your point. Maybe they want to play games like Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 and Ryse and are looking forward to playing Halo on it at some point this year.

It's not hard to understand why folks would chose the Xbox One. I do agree with you about the value proposition but the recent prices cuts are helping in that regard.

PJV3

Well ND, SSM, SP & Media Molecule beg to differ about your strong MS devs...

And Sony's lineup is on par with what MS has got.

And Sony have still been fannying around with the PS3, MS should have flattened them software wise.

saunderez

I'm one of those who is going to switch camps. Right now I'm PC only but once the PS4 has some exclusives to make it worth it I'll be picking one up. Microsoft lost me as soon as they announced their DRM bullshit, the PS4 being superior hardware is just icing on the cake.

The crazy thing is that MS could've taken this generation easily if they:

1) More or equal specs as PS4.

2) Kinect not required

3) Lower price as PS4

4) Had backwards compatibility.

Would've won or at least taken a sizable lead. Now it's almost in the same doom category as the Wii U.
The Wii U has three of those four. :)

breakfuss

Pretty sensational. This is about price more than anything. It's no longer as affordable to own all consoles at once, especially when considering the subscription costs. I'm sure I'll get an xbox eventually, but, it just doesn't make sense right now.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah. I know a few myself. They just want MS because that's what they've been playing since the first XBOX.

But a couple of them are sharing their disappointments with the specs and resolution thing. I can see it in them. They're getting close to jumping out! I think if it wasn't for Titanfall, they might have.
And there's no such thing as Playstation loyals?

Marvel

could never
to those who fall into the article, did you adjust well to the DS4 after using a 360 pad for so long, or are you still adjusting?

Good question. For FPS games I'm still adjusting, never been a fan of symmetrical thumb sticks for shooters. Wish we had an official option for purchase.

BigDug13

My level? I consider it gaming at best level.

Haha fair enough. I wasn't knocking it. Just saying as far as console-sales-based discussion, most consumers aren't heavy gamers as far as experiencing a wide variety of games. Most gamers just play specific things and that's about it.

I got the U-One-4. U was dead for awhile now its alive with TF & 3D world. PS4 was dead after launch to me, not its alive with MGSV & Second Son. One was never dead to me since I bought it a month after launch.

sony havent show really anything of what they have on their sleeve..this is gonna be a long long generation for you

geordiemp

To me, one of the reasons to get one console over another is exclusives. Now, if all consoles have series exclusives, which may have been the reason of buying a particular seventh gen in the first place, it really strikes me as odd that so many would go to a platform where they might not have those games. It just strikes me as odd. Then again, a lot of things now are multiplat, but I've never been that into those to be honest, so I couldn't say.

Hang on, you trying to convince us that you not really into multiplat games and prefer exclusives...

You telling me you don't care for COD / Mass effect / Borderlands / Skyrim

and only play Halo / gears and Fable...

I have a VERY hard time taking you seriously...but fair play, everyone to their own...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I think last gen showed there's room for two consoles. Towards the end of the gen both seemed to be doing quite well, it looked like ps3 might go Saturn route but it held up ok, and if anything I think demand is increasing as gaming becomes a bigger part of people's social lives as well as just a playful past time.

Both consoles have had a healthy start. Xbox's performance issues worry me, but it has the roster of games that interest me over ps4.

derFeef

Report: some last generation multi console owners are choosing PS4 over Xbox one as their first new console.

But with that (correct) title it won't get clicks, and maybe not a thread here.
But sounds about right for those looking to get a "first next gen system" - get the cheaper one.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I chose to stay with Xbox mainly because I thought it would be better online but I also preferred their IP. I made the right choice for me.

In a few months I'll still be able to play Titanfall, that's more important to me than slight graphical improvements.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I don't think I fall in with the people in this article. I only own one current-gen console, the successor to my primary 7th-gen console, but in the 7th gen, the Xbox 360 was my number 2. I don't see myself getting a PS4 before I get the One. All it needs is more games that I am into to be out and maybe a price drop, and I'm in.

Like, as a whole, and again this is coming from someone who has their favorites, but is all about the game regardless of platform, the Xbox experience is a lot more worth it to me than the Playstation one, specially as far as paid services are concerned. For me, PlayStation plus really is off-putting (not saying it's bad, it's just not my cup of tea), and I don't really care much for the DualShock 4. to those who fall into the article, did you adjust well to the DS4 after using a 360 pad for so long, or are you still adjusting? To me, the PS4 seems like another PS2, which just isn't my thing. Not saying it's bad or anything, it's just not for me. The One feels like enough of a 360-2 so to speak, and that's appealing to me. Like the article said, a lot of prior "dual-owners" want to go with the better hardware, but hardware is only part of the puzzle to me.

Now, as I said prior, I'm no fanboy; it's all about the games. To me, one of the reasons to get one console over another is exclusives. Now, if all consoles have series exclusives, which may have been the reason of buying a particular seventh gen in the first place, it really strikes me as odd that so many would go to a platform where they might not have those games. It just strikes me as odd. Then again, a lot of things now are multiplat, but I've never been that into those to be honest, so I couldn't say.

1. How is getting free games with your online sub really off-putting? What the hell does that mean?

2. The DS4 is fantastic coming off 360 controller.

3. Your post is insanely vague, yet even more defensive than vague. I can't even figure out what you're talking about.

~~Hasan~~

When the Xbox One comes down in price, then dual ownership will be taken up more.

i am probably the same. i had both PS3 and Xbox 360 but now i am a PS4 only.

planning to buy the xbox one but when its 400$ at least. and it will be only for the exclusives.

i will NOT buy a inferior multiplatform game on the Xbox one. just like how i did with the PS3/Xbox 360

anyone who follow a console for brand loyality or fanboy suff is an idiot.

and if i am good at keyboard and mouse, i will ditch the multiplatform games to play them on PC for superior experience.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Fair enough, but can I ask one thing? You say you find the Xbox better, especially regarding paid services. Could you explain this a bit more? To my understanding, bit machines require a paid sub for online play, but Sony gives additional value with games for the PS+ sub. And if you don't play online, you don't need to pay and you can still play F2P and MMO games online, and use the web browser, Netflix etc.

From the original sourced article

Xbox 360 Users Remain Brand Loyal, But Can't Afford to Pay Retail

Not surprisingly, 42% of Xbox 360 owners (that is, users who owned only an Xbox 360) opted for the Xbox One, while 51% of PlayStation 3 owners veered towards the PS4. The number one reason cited for why these shoppers purchased what they did? Brand loyalty (at 32% for Xbox 360 owners and 30% for PS3 owners).

Despite this expected result, there were notably a higher number of former Xbox 360 users who didn't purchase any new console yet, claiming that the price was too high and that they were waiting for a deal. (In fact, double the number of Xbox 360 users who didn't buy a new console cited price as an issue, compared to PS3 users who also didn't buy one.) It would seem then that PlayStation devotees are more financially prepared to jump into the next generation of gaming because of the lower retail price, whereas Xboxers are patiently waiting for a more affordable opportunity.

http://dealnews.com/features/The-PS4-Is-Outselling-the-Xbox-One-Because-It-Appeals-to-Swing-Gamers/990561.html

HUELEN10

Hang on, you trying to convince us that you not really into multiplat games and prefer exclusives...

You telling me you don't care for COD / Mass effect / Borderlands / Skyrim

and only play Halo / gears and Fable...

I have a VERY hard time taking you seriously...but fair play, everyone to their own...

I am dead serious. I look at my library of console games, and there are very few multiplats. If I had to estimate, I would say that over 85 percent of my library is comprised of console exclusives.

Never player COD / Mass effect / Borderlands / Skyrim as they aren't my cup of tea. Might pick up Tales From The Borderlands though. In all honesty, as much as I like my 360, I've never played Halo or Fable, and only got the first 2 Gears games recently (but haven't played them, want to though, just need time).

All a matter of personal tastes, but it just strikes me as odd how much of an easy "switch" some people would have, as I don't see multiplats as a main reason of choosing one box over another. That's just my take on the matter though. To me, the only thing I'm totally "platformer agnostic" on is compute operating systems; I have my shit organized in such away I can be up and running on any OS within hours.
Fair enough, but can I ask one thing? You say you find the Xbox better, especially regarding paid services. Could you explain this a bit more? To my understanding, bit machines require a paid sub for online play, but Sony gives additional value with games for the PS+ sub. And if you don't play online, you don't need to pay and you can still play F2P and MMO games online, and use the web browser, Netflix etc.
The way I see it is that paying for online sucks, and I'm not much of an online player anyways. If I can only afford to pay for one box, might as well make it the Xbox because of free games (at least for the time being, which I feel is awesome) and the fact that now, I might be able to get some added value of some of those 360 games I've never played online before. Again, it's all a matter of personal preference.
1. How is getting free games with your online sub really off-putting? What the hell does that mean?

2. The DS4 is fantastic coming off 360 controller.

3. Your post is insanely vague, yet even more defensive than vague. I can't even figure out what you're talking about.

1. It's not; but at the moment, the Microsoft one is the only one giving the free games. One of the things I find off-putting about PlayStation Plus is the "free" games. To me, and I've looked into it since it was announced, it's nothing more than a glorified rental service with some valuable savings offers. While said offers are nice, I just don't have enough money to spend on those offers to make the membership worthwhile. That, and playing the "rental" games without owning them feels weird to me, very offputting; I like to play for keeps. Again, I am not bashing the service in any way, it's just not my cup of tea.

2. Honorable men can differ; everyone has different preferences. Personally, I don't like the DS4.

3. I don't see anything defensive about my post; all i really was pondering is how and why people switch, and why they choose in the first place because, looking from the article, it would seem to me that most of these people didn't choose their 7th and 8th gens based mostly on exclusives, which was intriguing to me., that's all.

At the end of the day though, gonna get all 3 8th gen consoles eventually though; why deprive yourself of good games, am I right?

-MD-

the value of the XB1 just cannot compare to the PS4. I cannot understand the reasoning behind the people buying the XB1. No offense to those that did, but in my eyes that was a bad decision. But I guess opinions.

Talking strictly exclusives, there's really been zero reason to even look at the PS4. Infamous is the first game for that platform worth really talking about.

PS4 is the better machine no doubt, it's even cheaper, but if someone handed me a Bone and a PS4 that PS4 would still be sealed in the box.

That's for someone looking for instant gratification, if you're looking a year+ from launch then PS4 is the way to go, Microsoft's lineup looks bland as all hell going forward save Remedy's & Insomniac's titles and taking one look at the PS3/360 exclusive lineups the last ~4 years it's really not even debatable where the better games have been landing. And let's be real, nobody gives a shit about the Kinect or it's future, that thing has been out for almost half of a decade and still nothing has come out of it other than some dance games.

BigDug13

i am probably the same. i had both PS3 and Xbox 360 but now i am a PS4 only.

planning to buy the xbox one but when its 400$ at least. and it will be only for the exclusives.

i will NOT buy a inferior multiplatform game on the Xbox one. just like how i did with the PS3/Xbox 360

anyone who follow a console for brand loyality or fanboy suff is an idiot.

and if i am good at keyboard and mouse, i will ditch the multiplatform games to play them on PC for superior experience.

For the last one. All those games already work great with a controller. Only FPS do you really see a huge disparity in control capability. I'm playing Dark Souls on PC with a 360 controller. Will do the same with GTA V. You don't have to be good with mouse/keyboard to make PC your top gaming platform.

BigDug13

To be honest I never found paying charge for online a problem. Get a one year subscription for good price.

Yeah and that works. Just saying from a "general consumer" standpoint, I think paid online will reduce the total number of multiconsole owners this gen. Maybe not by a lot, but the number will be smaller this gen.

Majmun

To me, the PS4 seems like another PS2, which just isn't my thing. Not saying it's bad or anything, it's just not for me. The One feels like enough of a 360-2 so to speak, and that's appealing to me.

Ps4 being another Ps2 is a HUGE compliment, actually.

X1 definitely isn't a X360-2, imo. Gone is the cheaper price, gone are the superior multiplatform games and Japanese support will probably be nihil this time around.

I'm going to get both consoles eventually. But as a gamer, the Ps4 is currently far more appealing to me. The rpice is perfect, the games are good, Sony has one of the best dev teams out there. The multiplatform games are superior as well. PS+ is a bit meh at this point for the Ps4, but I'm sure it's going to change soon.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I am dead serious. I look at my library of console games, and there are very few multiplats. If I had to estimate, I would say that over 85 percent of my library is comprised of console exclusives.

Never player COD / Mass effect / Borderlands / Skyrim as they aren't my cup of tea. Might pick up Tales From The Borderlands though. In all honesty, as much as I like my 360, I've never played Halo or Fable, and only got the first 2 Gears games recently (but haven't played them, want to though, just need time).

All a matter of personal tastes, but it just strikes me as odd how much of an easy "switch" some people would have, as I don't see multiplats as a main reason of choosing one box over another. That's just my take on the matter though. To me, the only thing I'm totally "platformer agnostic" on is compute operating systems; I have my shit organized in such away I can be up and running on any OS within hours.

You only play exclusives but have never played Halo, Fable or Gears. So it's a Forza machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom