• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake : Is it cancel?

What do you think is going to happen with Resident Evil 2's Remake?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jawmuncher

4. It's made by modern Capcom so everything is up in the air :)

They probably announced the game too soon while it was basically a bunch of doodles on someone's lunch napkin. They are using their new RE Engine which they've used for a First Person game in VII so it might take some time to adapt it to whatever RE2R is going to be. They are going to show it when they are ready. The dilemma of the gameplay style and mode is probably going to be difficult if the sales of VII and the 180 they did for the gameplay of the delayed DLC areof any indication.

I don't think style will affect sales for this one so much. The series has been kinda rooted in Third Person. Since even fixed camera is a form of third person. RE7's biggest thing against it was the First Person and not Action and/or Hero character for people who wanted that. Both of which are apparently being rectified in DLC.

RE2make while being disappointing to some. Being over the shoulder from a sales perspective would do just fine so long as it reviewed well like RE7 did. There's far less contention for such a shift despite what this thread would state.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The just need to keep the original renders or just render them to absurd resolutions for future-proofs.

The level of detail you can accomplish with pre-rendered backgrounds is still unparalleled, and they can use all these freee resources on higher quality lightning and character models...

Also that style needs a proper send-off, I want to see how good can look with today tech.
With the incredibly small world and angles on today's hardware, there would be no need to pre-render the backgrounds considering what's possible in realtime. Pre-rendered backgrounds would only hinder the dev team as the smallest asset change would wreck the whole production process. Literally no reason to do that other than to cater to an incredibly small amount of people who care about that and don't understand what's feasible in this day and age. This is nothing:
2864607-3575360430-30366.jpg

Let's evaluate:

1. game is basically "leaked" via social media posts from the company
2. game is announced via kinda english T-Shirt...
3. game not mentioned again

fake.

there have been real things printed on tshirts

this post is fake until it's merchandised

Oneself

With the incredibly small world and angles on today's hardware, there would be no need to pre-render the backgrounds considering what's possible in realtime. Pre-rendered backgrounds would only hinder the dev team as the smallest asset change would wreck the whole production process. Literally no reason to do that other than to cater to an incredibly small amount of people who care about that and don't understand what's feasible in this day and age. This is nothing:
Yeah, after seeing games like The Order and Uncharted 4 / LL, there is no need for pre-rendered backgrounds anymore.

Vamphuntr

I don't think style will affect sales for this one so much. The series has been kinda rooted in Third Person. Since even fixed camera is a form of third person. RE7's biggest thing against it was the First Person and not Action and/or Hero character for people who wanted that. Both of which are apparently being rectified in DLC.

RE2make while being disappointing to some. Being over the shoulder from a sales perspective would do just fine so long as it reviewed well like RE7 did. There's far less contention for such a shift despite what this thread would state.

That's a good point. I was more thinking along the line of having online and coop mode though. That was missing from VII (for a good reason considering the gameplay) and it probably hurt it to many. And after the complaints from REV 2 that it wasn't online I think they are leaving money on the table if there is no online or coop gameplay in this one. I know they are not afraid to shake things up a bit considering Operation Raccoon City and Darkside Chronicles exists but I do think they will start to think more and more with money in mind. The fact they've delayed the DLC for VII and it seems to be quite different from the base game seems to hint they've listened to complaints from some fans at the very least and want to please more people.

Grisby

Hopefully we find out some more info sooner rather than later. I think they really wanted to focus all their attention on 7.

I believe the re-release of Remake did very well so I'm hoping Capcom took a look at that and was like, "Oh. Oh yeah, let's do that RE2 in the same vein that everyone wanted back in the day and apparently might do well if released now."

Archtreyz

Are you... referencing The Evil Within as a good example of horror, while simultaneously saying it's not good? What were you saying with that?

I also have to ask if this was a real problem for you in the old games. Were you constantly getting attacked by offscreen enemies? Because while it happens to me in a few very rare instances, 99% of the time you have enough awareness of enemies to know when to be cautious and take it slow. If you hear a licker breathing, you should know not to just run blindly into the next camera angle. Likewise, dogs always make a clicking sound and zombies will make shuffling sounds when they move; if they're not moving and not making a sound, then they're probably not going to be at a camera angle change waiting to bite you- Capcom never places them there. As long as you're paying attention to all of the sounds, you can assume where enemies might be pretty reliably and have the appropriate weapon ready.

This almost reminds me of complaints about head bonking when zora swimming in Majora's Mask. It happens, sure, but it's almost always down to player error.
Just because something isn't to my liking doesn't mean I will automatically constitute it as bad. It was well recieved and I think it qualifies as a good example for 3rd person horror. I thought Evil Within was janky and a mess, but others herald it's atmosphere and gameplay.

And to answer your 2nd question, there are plenty of times where you're in a blind spot and something crashes through or lunges at you from off camera. Or that there's zombies in a tight corridor and you can't just aim and knock one down so you can run around and then your surrounded or that you're trying to aim at one specific enemy and their off camera so you don't know who you're hitting. I love these games too but I'm not blind to it's antiquity.

I mean, I wouldn't mind fixed camera angles, I loved RE0 HD and REmake, but that's just not the way Capcom is making this game. It's been already more than two years since they've announced the game and we haven't seen a single screenshot from it. They are taking a long time with this which to me it indicates that they are remaking the entire game in 3D, so at the very least I expect a TPS option.

Regardless of which style you personally prefer, you guys need to be prepared for seeing REmake 2 in TPS mode.

For right now, no there is absolutely no reason for prerendered backgrounds however 10+ years from now it will make a huge difference.

I doubt that today tech, can achieve the lvl of detail from REmake backgrounds. And today CGI quality would be much superior than those.

It would be interesting to see what could be done with that approach. With the added advantage that the level design and layout can be reused like they did on REmake, to avoid production problems.

Except for, ya know, preserving what the game was originally.

kc44135

No REmake 2 at TGS. :(

Claire is a Redfield, she's allowed to punch any boulders she might want to in my book.

You love REmake, why don't you want more REmake feeligns? :(

...I do? I've been saying I want RE2 to be like REmake since the first page of this thread, lol.

liquidtmd

Banned
Legit dumb question: would having pre-rendered backgrounds not free up overheads / CPU to allow for higher fidelity on characters, more zombies per room, a higher frame frame, resolution?

As for lighting, I dunno - the lighting in some of the recreated areas in REMake HD looked great

luulubuu

Legit dumb question: would having pre-rendered backgrounds not free up overheads / CPU to allow for higher fidelity on characters, more zombies per room, a higher frame frame, resolution?

As for lighting, I dunno - the lighting in some of the recreated areas in REMake HD looked great

nuwflpl.png

3aLjEZv.png

I mean yes, but there are many games and tricks to do that exact same thing without the gimmicks and short comes of the pre rendered graphics

kc44135

We can have REmake era backgrounds with a camera that moves.
This is basically what I'd like to see.
I'm pretty sure the original game is already preserved fairly well.

Is it? It's not available on any modern consoles at all, and the PC version is ancient, and supposedly not very good (not to mention that it's not available on any digital platforms like Steam, etc). What I wouldn't give for a Resident Evil 1-3 PS4 Collection with ports of similar quality to the FF7 and 9 ports on PS4... :(

Almost?
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Resident Evil (HD Remastered) 1.9 million
Resident Evil 0 (HD Remastered) 1.4 million
Resident Evil Remake (GC) 1.35 million
Resident Evil 0 (GC) 1.25 million

Wow, I had no idea REmake's HD remaster sold so well. Even 0 did well over a million and that game is low key trash. Anecdotally, I know a few friends who played REmake for the first time with the remaster and loved it.

It seems to me a REmake style game for RE2 with the hype & promotion of an entirely new release would sell great.

We can have REmake era backgrounds with a camera that moves.

Do you believe in dreams?

Skeeter49

PSX is our Lord and savior now.

Steal footage from Capcom if you have to Corsi.

Horror does well in Europe, so PGW could be a lock as well.

liquidtmd

Banned
Wow, I had no idea REmake's HD remaster sold so well. Even 0 did well over a million and that game is low key trash. Anecdotally, I know a few friends who played REmake for the first time with the remaster and loved it.

It seems to me a REmake style game for RE2 with the hype & promotion of an entirely new release would sell great.
[/URL]

If I were Capcom, I'd be targeting the REMake2 window as a chance to port / make available OG RE 1-3 on PS4 / XB1 / PC

kc44135

Of course it would, and I've never personally doubted that. What matters in the end, though, is what Capcom thinks.
If I were Capcom, I'd be targeting the REMake2 window as a chance to port / make available OG RE 1-3 on PS4 / XB1 / PC

Damn, you have no idea how bad I want that, or how fast I'd buy that, lol. Sadly, I think that Capcom, like most other companies (except for maybe Square Enix), doesn't believe that PS1 era games would sell very well nowadays, even at a reasonable price point, cuz they're fugly and whatnot. I think they're wrong, but again, it doesn't matter what I think. It only matters what Capcom thinks.

liquidtmd

Banned
... Flat levels with a pre rendered image just to allow the characters to have more polygons and animations + enemies on screen? You said it yourself

In that case, we agree to differ - you say gimmick, I say trade off.

Can anyone tell me with a straight face that this is not looking significantly better than the pre rendered backgrounds of REmake? if so than maybe you should get your eyes checked.

I don't know what that picture is but comparing the backgrounds of REmake against it seems a tad unfair since they are effectively 16 years old, and still hold up against a lot of things

kromeo

Can anyone tell me with a straight face that this is not looking significantly better than the pre rendered backgrounds of REmake? if so than maybe you should get your eyes checked.

I don't care if it's pre rendered or not (it won't be) but of course a gamecube game doesn't look as good as a PS4 graphical showcase game

A new RE in the old style would be way better served taking a page from the book of God of War with its fixed camera. It would allow you to have some super detailed environments while still retaining their interactivity and do some cool shit with camera angles. Best of both worlds
in an outdated universe.

Lol I thought of this as I posted, but it doesn't really work that well. Parasite Eve 2 is a game that classic RE fans should play, even if it's not effective as a horror game.

I think RE Outbreak File 2 would the game to look at. The moving camera works really well. Somehow the slow panning camera combined with ruthless, agile enemies created a sense of dread the game handles really well (if not for its difficulty alone).

Sesha

2016 AAA+ game funded by Sony and developed by one of the top studios in the world looks better than a 2002 game, news at 11.

Hopefully showing it "soon" is PSX and not fucking E3 2018

They said similar things about RE7 in October or November 2015, which turned out to be E3 after all.

PantsuJo

It will have 3D levels but the camera will be fixed (so sweeeetly fixed).

It will release in late 2018.

And you all will like it.

Juste relax, GAF.

And, meanwhile, why not replay the best RE we currently have?
REmaster, of course.

Yes you can get better quality real-time graphics from the 1% top graphical games in the industry when you compare them to 16 year old game with pre-rendered backgrounds.

Now how would that approach look if done in 2018? If we take the older games as an example then you can imagine it'll blow everything else out of the water for years to come.

Until Dawn did what some people here are saying should be the alternative. Realtime 3D backgrounds with fixed camera angles and some camera panning across environments. The game looks amazing, but you could see the short-comings in the framerate and some visual artefacts.

Pre-rendered BG will offer even better visuals with absolutely no aliasing even in fine detail since they can downsample from insane resolutions. All this while leaving virtually all the resources free for the characters on screen, and even then still have overhead for performance.

The chance we'll get pre-rendered enviornments is close to none. Modern games look great, I don't think anyone's gonna lose sleep over it.

But why is wanting them absurd? If it's in the classic directed angle style, the idea that the visuals could be pushed even further with pre rendered environments makes total sense.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Except for, ya know, preserving what the game was originally.
Pre-rendered backgrounds isn't crucial to these games, they were more a technical solution to a problem that's since been solved by modern hardware standards. Hence the reason they're no longer commonplace.

The chance we'll get pre-rendered enviornments is close to none. Modern games look great, I don't think anyone's gonna lose sleep over it.

But why is wanting them absurd? If it's in the classic directed angle style, the idea that the visuals could be pushed even further with pre rendered environments makes total sense.
Because pre-rendered backgrounds aren't crucial to having fixed camera angles, that's something different altogether that's relatively easy to implement. Asking for pre-rendered backgrounds is basically akin to hoping that the devs have a much more difficult and nonsensical workflow for a modern video game.

I doubt that today tech, can achieve the lvl of detail from REmake backgrounds. And today CGI quality would be much superior than those.

It would be interesting to see what could be done with that approach. With the added advantage that the level design and layout can be reused like they did on REmake, to avoid production problems.
Real time backgrounds had more detail than REmake's backgrounds last gen let alone during this one. Think people are lookin bak at REmake with nostalgia glass. The point is that CGI wouldn't need to be used in the first place.

Top Bottom