• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

mas8705

For RE7, that could be seen as a bit of a shocker to know that it was below expectations. Can't say the same for MHXX and DR4 though...

Don't get me wrong, I want "MHXXForTheWest", but if it is only staying in Japan, then it is relying on people to get the expansion pack game. Not to mention that since the Switch came out, I wouldn't be shocked if people might be holding out for a "MHXXForTheSwitch" or even MH5 on Switch to bring back some HD hunting to the series. Hopefully it will pick up some steam pretty quick, but we'll see what happens there.

As for DR4, I'm sadly not shocked at all about the poor reception. Bare in mind that while being Microsoft exclusive could have been a contributing factor, the game itself was a mess when it launched as it was littered with bugs and glitches. Not to mention that when Frank Rising came out, there were alot of people who couldn't beat the mode due to a game breaking glitch. (It later got resolved by starting on a new game file, but that is still very much a problem all things considered)

Ludens

Banned
Well, DR4 was crap, I played it the last week and I managed to clear it out in 7 hours by doing the main plot only plus the DLC.
Also Capcom dropped the ball by locking the real ending of the game (aka overdrive mode) behind a 10€ paywall, if you simply finish the main game, well, that's not the real ending, plain and simple.

RE7 was...ok. I mean, I liked some things, found other things very boring, there are very apparent plot holes...I still believe RE7 shouldn't be a main entry for the franchise but just a spin-off. It's not a bad game, but it's not even the masterpiece some people in this forum describe.

Well, DR4 was crap, I played it the last week and I managed to clear it out in 7 hours by doing the main plot only plus the DLC.
Also Capcom dropped the ball by locking the real ending of the game (aka overdrive mode) behind a 10€ paywall, if you simply finish the main game, well, that's not the real ending, plain and simple.

RE7 was...ok. I mean, I liked some things, found other things very boring, there are very apparent plot holes...I still believe RE7 shouldn't be a main entry for the franchise but just a spin-off. It's not a bad game, but it's not even the masterpiece some people in this forum describe.

I rented REVII from Redbox, thinking it would take a few days to beat. I rented it at 6pm and returned it the next afternoon after beating it on normal. I was shocked how little content there was, and how easy it was to charge through what was there. So glad I saved $57.

DR4 seemed to have a high ratio of negative preview reaction to marketing. People were annoyed by gameplay changes and then it was on the shelf with seemingly little in between.

MHXX almost seems intuitive, not many needing the suped-up Gen. RE7, eh, can't summon up enthusiasm for it. Time to jump off the fence in realization that I prefer the action REs, including 6.

Ludens

Banned
I rented REVII from Redbox, thinking it would take a few days to beat. I rented it at 6pm and returned it the next afternoon after beating it on normal. I was shocked how little content there was, and how easy it was to charge through what was there. So glad I saved $57.

Yeah, the game is bloody short and, if you don't own dlcs, there's really no reason to play it again. Mad House could be fun if you are into an "arranged" mode, but that's it. The base game is too short, there are no additional modes if not when purchasing dlcs, dlcs are not very funny and the story ones are just...meh. I mean, one dlc is like 10 minutes long, another is 20 minutes long depending on how good you are on solving puzzles, another dlc is simply a horde survival mode...very lazy and pricey.

Neff

Maybe they shouldn't have phoned in the second half of REVII.

That's a bit harsh, but yeah, RE7 blows its load in its first half without a doubt.

They're not going to be able to go back to silly sales without co-op, but giving the player an actual RE character to play as (and I'm not just talking about classic characters, but the kind super-cool protagonists one expects from the series), and maintaining the quality and/or extending the length of the game would be a good start.

RE7 was so close and yet so far.

RE7... No replay value whatsoever.

Having beaten the game a dozen times or so and enjoyed it thoroughly, I'd very much disagree with this.

Kinda mixed on RE7.

I wanted a survival horror game again, but that was just a bad effort in every respect. No replay value, barely any story, bad story, poor characters, no extra game modes.

Hopefully RE2make is done like REmake and can show sales of that type of game.

Dead Rising...Lol timed exclusive deals.

I bought Resident Evil 6 remastered last year because I thought it wasn't as bad as many proclaimed it to be; It was one of the worst games I've ever played. Uninspiring level design, ugly, and I had no motivation to move forward. Coop couldn't even make it somewhat enjoyable. Horrible game.

It's your opinion and I respect it, but me and a lot of other people enjoy it for what it is. I mean, it did just sell another million. So, I don't think it's fair to treat it like some irredeemable garbage (and some people definitely make it out to be just that).

Yeah, the game is bloody short and, if you don't own dlcs, there's really no reason to play it again. Mad House could be fun if you are into an "arranged" mode, but that's it. The base game is too short, there are no additional modes if not when purchasing dlcs, dlcs are not very funny and the story ones are just...meh. I mean, one dlc is like 10 minutes long, another is 20 minutes long depending on how good you are on solving puzzles, another dlc is simply a horde survival mode...very lazy and pricey.

Yeah, RE4 came with a longer, better campaign, free side campaigns, and an endlessly replayable Mercenaries mode. And you didn't have to buy a season pass to get all of that content.

The DLC should have been normal unlockables, but the length of its focused and very polished campaign itself is fine. In the current onslaught of 50hour+ games it even is a blessing.

Remember when 1 million copies was a milestone?

3.7 million sales for Resident Evil 7 still failing to meet expectations is part of what is wrong with AAA gaming.

Having beaten the game a dozen times or so and enjoyed it thoroughly, I'd very much disagree with this.

Yep. Intro aside, which takes about ten minutes, the game is superbly paced. Hell, I wish there was a bit more there toward the end. While I was doing trophies I finished it twice in one day and had fun seeing how fast I could do it the next time.

Really fun game. There's not a lot to it compared to other RE games, but it's a slick as hell ride.

RE7 is not selling well because of how shit 5 and 6 were. Doesn't mean 7 is bad, they need to make another good one and not revert to the bullshit that put the series in the doghouse.

Dead Rising 4, well the devs don't even respect that series, why should we?

MonHun XX is on a dying platform.

Neonep

RE7, SFV, & DR4 are all products of this new budget Capcom and given how MVC:I looks, it seems to be following the same path. Sadly DMC5 is probably gonna follow.

Neonep

RE7 is not selling well because of how shit 5 and 6 were. Doesn't mean 7 is bad, they need to make another good one and not revert to the bullshit that put the series in the doghouse.

At least when the series was in the "doghouse" it sold well, when Capcom fucked up Devil May Cry, there hasn't been a game since.

Jawmuncher

That's one hell of a stretch. RE7 sales can be more attributed to it's change in style over anything else. You can maybe argue a little bit about the reception of RE6 playing a factor. But that just goes back into the style of the game RE7 is. They had reviews up early and made it clear it was something new from the last 3 games.

I don't even understand why 5 would be included in this either, considering it's their best selling game and is in general looked at in a positive light. Not as much as RE4 but no where near any sort of "RE5 ruined the franchise and it hasn't recovered since".

RE is a big series and not everyone wants horror out of it despite many trying to say thats a fact. It goes back to capcom needing to balance quality and what their split fanbase wants.

Ivan 3414

RE6 remaster sold a million copies. Please take this BS narrative elsewhere.

JayEH

Yes everyone agreed 5 and 6 were shit. That explains why 5 and 6 are the two best selling capcom games.

This again. Horror RE fans are gonna use this excuse to death. Even if RE8 and RE9 continue the same path as RE7 and get the same kind of reception (which is really good btw), horror fans will still blame RE5 and RE6.

Yeah, RE6 was so bad and shitty that it just sold an extra million with its remaster version. Clearly no one wanted that trash and that's why RE7 didn't do better. Yep, clearly.

Jawmuncher

Sure, keep moving those goalposts munchy

I didn't move anything though? I replied to him before I even saw the whole post of what was quoted. REmake deserves those 1 million sales in a week or however much it was. I'm not wrong in saying that REmake and 0 almost being seen as new games. It's not like that's a bad thing either. It let a lot of people enjoy the classic games and get an understanding of the roots of the series.

Ada is obviously wrong in saying it's the best selling remaster out of all the games, but is right if they meant just the remasters from last year.

Duxxy3

It's pretty clear that Capcom also wants to keep their budgets down which makes that kind of hard to achieve.

It depends what they want to do then.

If they want the biggest growth, they'll probably go away from RE7. If they want to remain afloat, using Resident Evil as a bit of a safety vest, they'll stick with the RE7 style.

Levito

Banned
Good lord the salty Resident Evil 5-6 fans in this thread. Y'all must love Kenny G and consider Mcdonalds fine dining too.

DR4...something felt off to me about the game. I bought it from a Best Buy sale and played it once. I still have it but I have no urge to go back and even finish it or load it up again.

Felt like it took a step back compared to previous DR's entries.

Jawmuncher

Good lord the salty Resident Evil 5-6 fans in this thread. Y'all must love Kenny G and consider Mcdonalds fine dining too.

Eh, there hasn't been that much.
Most people in here recognize all the different style of games for what they are.

ethomaz

Banned
I was thinking a bit more about actual RE7 sales and potential... I believe it can reach 6m+ before the first re-release.

But the grow userbase and potential for RE8 can end being the best selling RE game... 8m is not impossible with the good reception of RE7... RE8 has everything to be a hit. The fact they didn't have to work in a new Engine anymore can make the team focus only in the game.

Most people in here recognize all the different style of games for what they are.

It's almost like there's a way to be civil about all this!

I'm a fan of the different styles. I prefer the methodology behind straight-up survival horror and atmosphere than just pure action, especially when there's a big, satisfying action setpiece worked into said methodology (see: RE2 subway); I like the exploration and working my way through weird, silly environments.

If RE8 is announced to be an action-driven title, fine, but I hope they can find a way to meet somewhere in the middle. My ideal action-RE would be something like RE4, but more like the village/farm setting and that rainy night atmosphere. I don't believe for a fucking second that you can't have an action game be incredibly atmospheric and have better exploration as well. 4 did a lot of this right but I still didn't care for some of it.

I for one loved the
ship section of 7 when you're playing as Mia, the atmosphere was great but it started throwing in more action elements and felt straight up James Cameron
. That shit was fucking awesome.

Top Bottom