• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

Jawmuncher

I was thinking a bit more about actual RE7 sales and potential... I believe it can reach 6m+ before the first re-release.

But the grow userbase and potential for RE8 can end being the best selling RE game... 8m is not impossible with the good reception of RE7... RE8 has everything to be a hit. The fact they didn't have to work in a new Engine anymore can make the team focus only in the game.

I don't think it could reach that much without a rerelease. Not a rerelease on a new console. But a GOTY or Gold edition at retail would definitely be needed I think to see such numbers. Even RE5 needed this to push it's sales up a good bit.

Sales & quality are 2 different things. Something can be not good and still sell and vise versa.

It's still quite the jump to say that 5 is universally claimed as being shit. I can maybe get someone saying 6 (Even though we have more than enough evidence to claim that isn't the case either). But 5 is definitely quite the stretch. Not being as good as RE4 isn't a bad thing, few games can match that.

Sales & quality are 2 different things. Something can be not good and still sell and vise versa.
But if something is bad, and everyone agree that it's bad, then the word of mouth will prevent it from getting further sales.

I agree that RE6 is not for everyone, and no doubt it has it's fair share of problems. But there are people enjoying it. Otherwise it wouldn't have sold 1 million copies with it's remaster, years after the initial release.

JayEH

Yes because bad games continue to sell or...

Everyone has different opinions and some think 5 and 6 might be good games.

I dunno though.

sangreal

I've always loved DR series but have zero interest in ever touching that game. Can't say I am surprised it missed expectations

Capcom has always been bad at setting sales goals

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
RE5 and RE6 are also high profile co-op games as well. I sold a ton of the re-releases based on this alone.

Dead Rising 4 well below Capcom's expectations

Q7ST7Ir.jpg

Don't feel bad at all for Capcom when they fucked over the series fans so badly.

Jawmuncher

Q7ST7Ir.jpg

Don't feel bad at all for Capcom when they fucked over the series fans so badly.

I'm curious what this means for Capcom Vancouver. I doubt they'll get shut down or anything. But if they were having free reign as the western branch, I could see Capcom JP becoming a bit more heavy handed on their decisions until things even out again. Though to be fair, it isn't like Capcom JP hasn't made bombas either though.

I played all mainline Resident Evil (hated RE6) games plus Code: Veronica, but I never got excited to try RE7.

The move to first person made me feel that it's just another Amnesia or pc inspired horror game. I hope the next game to be in third person view and I really can't wait for RE2 remake.

jrush64

Banned
RE 5 and 6 were fun and great games. I didn't get RE7 because I hate First person horror games. I loved the coop of 5 and 6. I personally just want coop back so hopefully RE8 is a combination of RE6 controls and RE7 horror elements with Coop.

RE 5 and 6 were fun and great games. I didn't get RE7 because I hate First person horror games. I loved the coop of 5 and 6. I personally just want coop back so hopefully RE8 is a combination of RE6 controls and RE7 horror elements with Coop.

Pls no, I want it to be in third person view but without a companion similar to RE4. They can make a separate co-op mode.

HeelPower

If 5 is so shit as the vocal minority says, then why would 6 sell even faster initially?

While I dont believe RE5 was shit,RE6 had a amazing trailers.Character design was super sexy across the board.

I believe some trailerd on youtube had 10 million views(10 million back in 2012,account for view inflation)

Takeuchi has already said that RE8 will be quite different from RE7, but he also reiterated that RE7 was the 'start' of a new direction for the franchise, so it's really anyone's guess as to what we'll end up with. He may have been talking setting, structure, perspective, controls, anything.

Just give me
badass Mia
as main protag, make the game more robust than 7, bit longer, no VR focus (I feel that despite loving the game that it being made with VR in mind led to some of the problems I have with it) and I'm all set. Third person or first, don't give a fuck.

Anung

Un Rama
Takeuchi has already said that RE8 will be quite different from RE7, but he also reiterated that RE7 was the 'start' of a new direction for the franchise, so it's really anyone's guess as to what we'll end up with. He may have been talking setting, structure, perspective, controls, anything.

Still, very exciting to ponder all the same.

RE7 felt like a really solid base with plenty of potential and room to evolve. I'm hoping RE8 is the RE2 to RE7's RE.

RE7 felt like a really solid base with plenty of potential and room to evolve. I'm hoping RE8 is the RE2 to RE7's RE.

I wish 7 were as environmentally-complex as say the original or even 2 and 3. That was my only problem with it, like it was halfway there but not quite. If they could just get it to that level and have more enemy variety we'd be on the pathway to complete global saturation.

jrush64

Banned
Good lord the salty Resident Evil 5-6 fans in this thread. Y'all must love Kenny G and consider Mcdonalds fine dining too.

Sounds like the RE7 fans are the salty ones. Shitting on RE5 and 6 because RE7 didnt' sell as well as those ones.

Riposte

I don't see any mention of developer costs in this link.

Good lord the salty Resident Evil 5-6 fans in this thread. Y'all must love Kenny G and consider Mcdonalds fine dining too.
You are just airing your grievances irrespective to what's happening in this thread. Check out the posts lamenting that the series may return to "action" or the same old "RE isn't allowed to be *this*".

Can you imagine Chris being stuck in the baker house?

A.J.

Banned
I wish I wouldn't have bought the Remaster of 6. It was pretty terrible but I was curious to see what was so bad about it.

Korigama

While I dont believe RE5 was shit,RE6 had a amazing trailers.Character design was super sexy across the board.

I believe some trailerd on youtube had 10 million views(10 million back in 2012,account for view inflation)
Eh, I wouldn't know about across the board. I personally consider RE6 Ada's worst look, Helena is quite possibly the most boring RE female yet (in looks and personality), and there's nothing particularly interesting about Jake's design. The others are passable.

That said, I do believe that there's a certain appeal that designs seen in previous RE games had which factored into consumers gravitating toward those installments, an appeal which RE7 lacks as something much more grounded and decidedly unsexy aesthetically (and with a lead players never get a good look at anyway).

Jawmuncher

Eh, I wouldn't know about across the board. I personally consider RE6 Ada's worst look, Helena is quite possibly the most boring RE female yet (in looks and personality), and there's nothing particularly interesting about Jake's design. The others are passable.

That said, I do believe that there's a certain appeal that designs seen in previous RE games had which factored into consumers gravitating toward those installments, an appeal which RE7 lacks as something much more grounded and decidedly unsexy aesthetically (and with a lead players never get a good look at anyway).

I would say you'd be hard up to find a lot of people who dislike Adas design. Jake has his small fanbase but his design definitely isn't great. If he wasn't related to Wesker and didn't have the kungfu, he wouldn't have much going for him. I will say I agree about hunnigan though. Boring across the board. I only know of one person who really likes her.

Riposte

I would say you'd be hard up to find a lot of people who dislike Adas design. Jake has his small fanbase but his design definitely isn't great. If he wasn't related to Wesker and didn't have the kungfu, he wouldn't have much going for him.

You are overlooking Troy Baker's charisma. Also sexual tension with Sherry.

Korigama

I would say you'd be hard up to find a lot of people who dislike Adas design. Jake has his small fanbase but his design definitely isn't great. If he wasn't related to Wesker and didn't have the kungfu, he wouldn't have much going for him. I will say I agree about hunnigan though. Boring across the board. I only know of one person who really likes her.
That was Harper for Helena. Hunnigan (Ingrid) was Leon's mission control returning from RE4. But yeah, it was disappointing that they didn't come up with a more distinctive design for a guy introduced as Wesker's son. As for Ada, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in the minority for not liking her RE6 look specifically (just didn't seem to fit compared to her previous appearances, RE4 being the one I'd say was best in her case).

RevenWolf

I played all mainline Resident Evil (hated RE6) games plus Code: Veronica, but I never got excited to try RE7.

The move to first person made me feel that it's just another Amnesia or pc inspired horror game. I hope the next game to be in third person view and I really can't wait for RE2 remake.

Considering it plays Very similar to REmake in terms of overall pace, puzzles, combat, exploration etc, it's not at all like amnesia.

If you enjoyed REmake or any of the games before 4, you should check it out.

I hope they keep this formula for the mainline series for awhile.

The action fans got their stuff for 4-6, it's time to go back towards the roots. Not to mention Capcom could release more action style spin offs.

This is all my opinion but:

I had just recently played/replayed all of the Resident Evil titles (minus Dead Aim and Outbreak) and RE7 is by far my favorite. I liked all of them a lot. I even gave a soft spot for 6 since it was my first Resident Evil. But 7 blew it out of the water.

Yes I also liked Ethan Winters. I didn't have to put him in an untouchable pedestal like I did with Chris (honestly not a big fan of 1-6 Chris) and Leon. He was just a guy looking for his wife and finding himself in a situation that I could never be able to face in real life.

I'm super sad if the FPS survival horror style doesn't go to the next game. I'll play the next game for sure. Unless it goes all the way to the deep end if suplexes and bro punches.

Also, some people are being the very definition of hyperbole in this thread. Chill out guys.

Basically we need a new Dino Crisis for the more action oriented fans.

Jawmuncher

That was Harper for Helena. Hunnigan (Ingrid) was Leon's mission control returning from RE4. But yeah, it was disappointing that they didn't come up with a more distinctive design for a guy introduced as Wesker's son. As for Ada, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in the minority for not liking her RE6 look specifically (just didn't seem to fit compared to her previous appearances, RE4 being the one I'd say was best in her case).

I always mix up their names despite playing them so often. To be fair both don't really do much so it's not too big of a deal

Mandoric

Banned
It's almost like there's a way to be civil about all this!

I'm a fan of the different styles. I prefer the methodology behind straight-up survival horror and atmosphere than just pure action, especially when there's a big, satisfying action setpiece worked into said methodology (see: RE2 subway); I like the exploration and working my way through weird, silly environments.

If RE8 is announced to be an action-driven title, fine, but I hope they can find a way to meet somewhere in the middle. My ideal action-RE would be something like RE4, but more like the village/farm setting and that rainy night atmosphere. I don't believe for a fucking second that you can't have an action game be incredibly atmospheric and have better exploration as well. 4 did a lot of this right but I still didn't care for some of it.

I for one loved the
ship section of 7 when you're playing as Mia, the atmosphere was great but it started throwing in more action elements and felt straight up James Cameron
. That shit was fucking awesome.

From the outside looking in, though, it seems like the FF problem - the high-fantasy minmaxers don't like the games that team stylish SF anime me up fam like, and chasing both gets messes like 13 (Gran Pulse for team A with the rest of the game for team B.) Even if it is atmospheric and explorable, one set of people is going to consider that boring window dressing and the other is going to nope right out of the action segments as unintuitive trash (read RE6 reaction.)

What I'd like to see is RE brand as one tendency and Biohazard brand as the other, honestly.

AdaWong

I didn't move anything though? I replied to him before I even saw the whole post of what was quoted. REmake deserves those 1 million sales in a week or however much it was. I'm not wrong in saying that REmake and 0 almost being seen as new games. It's not like that's a bad thing either. It let a lot of people enjoy the classic games and get an understanding of the roots of the series.

Ada is obviously wrong in saying it's the best selling remaster out of all the games, but is right if they meant just the remasters from last year.

Correct, I meant out of the triple RE4/5/6 remaster pack.

The RE 7 sales coupled with the RE 5/6 continued sales will probably ensure that RE 8 is more action based.

Monster Hunter is Monster Hunter.

Dead Rising 4 is one where I wouldn't be surprised if they either retool it or just drop it completely since it failed the goal by over a million copies.

Jawmuncher

The RE 7 sales coupled with the RE 5/6 continued sales will probably ensure that RE 8 is more action based.

Monster Hunter is Monster Hunter.

Dead Rising 4 is one where I wouldn't be surprised if they either retool it or just drop it completely since it failed the goal by over a million copies.

Capcom usually retires series that fail expectations by that much. It's gonna rely on how the sales are on PS4. If it can break a million there they might try once more, if not. It's probably going in for a break.

At this point, I think the back and forth exclusivity really hurt the series more than anything.

Korigama

From the outside looking in, though, it seems like the FF problem - the high-fantasy minmaxers don't like the games that team stylish SF anime me up fam like, and chasing both gets messes like 13 (Gran Pulse for team A with the rest of the game for team B.) Even if it is atmospheric and explorable, one set of people is going to consider that boring window dressing and the other is going to nope right out of the action segments as unintuitive trash (read RE6 reaction.)

What I'd like to see is RE brand as one tendency and Biohazard brand as the other, honestly.
With FF, I liked the former with something like XII (though it was still a case of having a good share of sci-fi aspects, as has been typical for the series) and was introduced to the franchise with the latter through VII. XIII's problem wasn't an issue of chasing after both groups so much as being horrendously linear compared to every game that came before it, being rushed along for dozens of hours with little in the way of a rise and fall in tension, leading to absolutely no opportunity to become attached to that world or anyone in it (by the team's own admission, they looked to Call of Duty of all things as a model for the game's pacing). It's just pretty wallpaper whizzing by as you run through a continuous tube, with the only way to learn anything of substance about the world and its lore being to read through endless database entries, rather than experiencing it through exploring the setting and interacting with the people who live in it. It's all tell, no show. The party flies by the seats of their pants for pretty much the entire story, the antagonists are a joke, and the melodrama is typically cranked to the max. I honestly can't think of much of anything that the game offers that appeals to either camp (and though I suppose I can understand the appeal of the combat to at least some extent once the game stops treating the player like a drooling idiot and lets them access the entire system and choose their own party members, I still didn't care for it). For a supposed RPG, it felt practically nothing like one.

I wasn't any more impressed with Gran Pulse (the supposed good part of the game that took entirely too long to reach before you wind up getting dumped back into the tube), with the Gaur Plains of the original Xenoblade having done something very much comparable to it, but far sooner into the game and executed far more competently. I did, however, like (late FFXIII spoilers)
exploring the ruins of Oerba, as well as the music that accompanied that part of the game
. If the game had many more moments like that, I may have regarded it more favorably.

My apologies for the rant, but thinking about just how much of a disappointment that game turned out to be makes it nearly impossible not to vent.

Raonak

Banned
That's a shame, RE7 was the first RE game since the PS1 days where I actually felt tension.

I hope they don't make RE8 into the generic mess that was 5/6. Spin it off into it's own series if they must.

komaruR

Guess it's not just me not buying mhxx because it's getting stale at the current gen or mobile.
Hopefully next mh is on console for hd.

I wish i could find that thread...

When Capcom stated thier expectations for Re7 and half of Gaf laughed and said
"4 mil in one quarter lol, maybe for the year"
" Cant see them selling more than 2"
" For an Outlast clone? Capcom is out of there mind"

Now all of a sudden selling 3.5 in a quarter that had a sht ton of big releases is a failure to the same people.

You know who you are.
Now Capcoms 4m number all of a sudden is the bare minimum it should have sold.
Get out of here.

Top Bottom