• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

fritzo

since there is no demo (yet), can I buy the first episode, try it and if I like it, buy the season pass for $19? Probably not I'm guessing.

Lucent

since there is no demo (yet), can I buy the first episode, try it and if I like it, buy the season pass for $19? Probably not I'm guessing.

Would be awesome if it worked that way. I doubt it does but I haven't gone back to the store to see if it's possible.

Neiteio

So if I just want everything — every episode, all DLC, etc — what's the best way to go about acquiring this game? Does everything come in the retail version?

Revelations 1 is my favorite RE after RE4, btw. This new one also looks like a blast to play.

Miker

Is Raid Mode's progression any better than that of REvelaiton 1? I found it fun, but ultimately not very fulfilling. You get better guns that don't feel very different/only numbers go up, but the enemies become bullet sponges to compensate. I never felt very powerful, or felt like I was getting that much better as a player, as in Mercs.

It's an issue I have with a lot of loot games, e.g. Borderlands. I did, however, love Kid Icarus Uprising, because the weapons all felt different and upgrades were tangible.

Anyway, is that any different in REvelaitons 2? And do you still have to play through one difficulty to unlock the next?

ezekial45

Banned
Is Raid Mode's progression any better than that of REvelaiton 1? I found it fun, but ultimately not very fulfilling. You get better guns that don't feel very different/only numbers go up, but the enemies become bullet sponges to compensate. I never felt very powerful, or felt like I was getting that much better as a player, as in Mercs.

It's an issue I have with a lot of loot games, e.g. Borderlands. I did, however, love Kid Icarus Uprising, because the weapons all felt different and upgrades were tangible.

Anyway, is that any different in REvelaitons 2? And do you still have to play through one difficulty to unlock the next?

For the most part, it's still the same. However, they added in a number of perks and special skills to use. Which definitely switches things up a bit.

AdaWong

So if I just want everything — every episode, all DLC, etc — what's the best way to go about acquiring this game? Does everything come in the retail version?

Revelations 1 is my favorite RE after RE4, btw. This new one also looks like a blast to play.
As it stands, the retail version is the most "complete" one... Yet.

I think it's kind of off putting to be honest. Sure, the series has always had bad writing, but there's a difference between corny dialogue and immature dialogue. Resident Evil, despite being very violent and gory, never used to have characters that ran around frequently spewing curse words. Cursing doesn't bother me whatsoever as I'm very guilty of it, but I think that a series should maintain its tone and form. You'd hear words like hell or damn, stuff like that, but Moira is just an absolute clown.

I enjoyed Revelations 1 and this one so far, but they really have produced the most obnoxious and immature protagonists the series has seen yet.

I suppose Capcom is presumably pandering to most modern gamers who seemingly love to hear curse words every 5 seconds in their modern games of today. I haven't played the game yet and plan on trying it out, but I am hearing A LOT of people comment on Moira's potty mouth, so it must be quite ludicrous, especially for a series like Resident Evil. For example, look at Ninja Gaiden 3. Pass NG games had no or very little bad language. What are the chances the one that was developed with the West in mind from what I've heard suddenly introduced a plethora of curse words? Can't forget Ninja Gaiden Yaiba. Also, Jake in RE6 had a healthy potty mouth as well if I remember correctly.

I think it's kind of off putting to be honest. Sure, the series has always had bad writing, but there's a difference between corny dialogue and immature dialogue. Resident Evil, despite being very violent and gory, never used to have characters that ran around frequently spewing curse words. Cursing doesn't bother me whatsoever as I'm very guilty of it, but I think that a series should maintain its tone and form. You'd hear words like hell or damn, stuff like that, but Moira is just an absolute clown.

I enjoyed Revelations 1 and this one so far, but they really have produced the most obnoxious and immature protagonists the series has seen yet.

I think you write the script for each character (and how they respond to things that happen) and not for the game. So if a couple people are compelled to curse in a game that isn't known for cursing, I think that is more than fine. I wouldn't want a game to write in characters as jerks just because the game is known for having jerk characters - for example.

I think you write the script for each character (and how they respond to things that happen) and not for the game. So if a couple people are compelled to curse in a game that isn't known for cursing, I think that is more than fine. I wouldn't want a game to write in characters as jerks just because the game is known for having jerk characters - for example.

In the long run it doesn't like ruin the experience for me. I just saw people mention it, agreed with them, and tried to explain exactly why. It's not really a big deal worth making a huge fuss about, but I do think it's a valid complaint for someone to have.

Neiteio

I just watched like 20 minutes of footage. I dunno, Moira's swearing seems fine. She appears to be a teenager with daddy issues, so the cursing doesn't seem entirely out of place.

Lucent

Jesus what the fuck are you supposed to do after putting the cog piece? Been dying there for 40 minutes.

Run to the big metal thing in the center. Turn it around so it faces the opposite direction. Turn the valve on the right til it falls off. The metal machine will spit fire as enemies come in. Now you should use Moira to pry the boards off the door loose and have Claire fend off any strays that get past the fire

Miker

For the most part, it's still the same. However, they added in a number of perks and special skills to use. Which definitely switches things up a bit.

That's mildly disappointing. I'm not sure how I expected it to be different, or how it could be different, but disappinting nonetheless.

I just watched like 20 minutes of footage. I dunno, Moira's swearing seems fine. She appears to be a teenager with daddy issues, so the cursing doesn't seem entirely out of place.

Which is already annoying enough. Not sure why, while conceiving a horror game, they thought a whiny, profane teenager would contribute in any sort of a positive way to the atmosphere.

burgerdog

Use the flame thrower statue in that room.

Run to the big metal thing in the center. Turn it around so it faces the opposite direction. Turn the valve on the right til it falls off. The metal machine will spit fire as enemies come in. Now you should use Moira to pry the boards off the door loose and have Claire fend off any strays that get past the fire

Ah, I missed the valve then, I turned the big metal thing but I couldn't figure out what to do with it.

I was really enjoying the game up to that point, I'll try again tomorrow. I spent too much thing on something that should have taken five minutes tops.

Alfredo

Raid Mode seems pretty cool. I'll probably get the Vita version whenever it's out just to play Raid Mode on the go.

I still miss the combat options from RE6, though. Seeing a bunch of enemies standing up on desks in the school level made me sad when I realized I couldn't do the cool context sensitive melees you only get to do, like, twice in the RE6 campaign.

I want RE6 Mercenaries combat with the structure of Raid Mode. That could be hella cool.

Lucent

Which is already annoying enough. Not sure why, while conceiving a horror game, they thought a whiny, profane teenager would contribute in any sort of a positive way to the atmosphere.

I dunno if it was just them looking at The Last of Us and thinking "Yeah, we could use something like that." But then just made it not work.

Also, gotta love how dumb it is that someone like her joined TerraSave but then she refuses to use a gun and says something like she never would've joined if she knew she'd get into this kind of situation. Like what did she expect? Lol. Also what she's wearing. I mean, I think she's cute and I like her style, but that hardly seems like something you'd wanna wear going to a business party or mission.

Reebot

This game is rad, highly recommend. I get strong Evil Within vibes from both the world and creature design but this plays much better.

Also, I flat out love the writing. I'm guessing this is completely unintentional but it nails the B movie charm - and there's even a bit of Paul Verhoeven esque comedy. Again, probably by accident, but I love it no the less.

Zambatoh

Is this real? It looks like some shitty mod

I was pretty disappointed in episode 1 but the teaser for 2 looked alright. I just want to know who the mystery woman is

Yes it's real. It's Claire's "Rodeo" costume and Moira's "Urban Ninja" costume.

Barry and Natalia also have their own goofy outfits. Barry dresses like a navy commandant and Natalia gets a pink bear hoody costume.

Edit: Yeah. Here we go. This is a good shot for the latter.

rerev2%202015-02-25%2022-11-31-10_zpsskr3yleb.jpg

Kssio_Aug

I'm finding the campaing good enough. But the Raid... man, that's pure fun!
Both are better in co-op though! Played with my cousin in split-screen and that was pretty damn great!

Definitely worth its 5 dollars price and the season pass!

joe2187

Banned
Got all the collectibles, Tower Medals, Kafka drawings, and Insect larvae on stream...hope anyone who was watching found it helpful.

Manu

Also, gotta love how dumb it is that someone like her joined TerraSave but then she refuses to use a gun and says something like she never would've joined if she knew she'd get into this kind of situation. Like what did she expect? Lol.

TerraSave is a NGO that helps those affected by bioterrorism. They're not fighters.

DirtyLarry

I realized I was confusing Revelations with the horrible RE Mercenaries on the 3DS, so once I realized that I went ahead and picked up the Season Pass. Have not been able to check it out yet, but think I am going to really dig it based on what I have read so far. Hopefully I do. If for some reason I do not, I can think of worse ways to waste $25.

22gb on X1. Is that the initial download size or after all episodes have been released?

I like the quips the characters say about previous games

Claire: I was almost a Claire sandwhich! Moira: Does Barry tell everyone that story?

Also,
Barry mentions that some of the monsters show signs of Uroboros infection. Care to speculate?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I got Resident Evil Revelations 2 on PC. It initially ran like total shit, but like RE HD Remaster, I had to go into the Nvidia control panel and set it to always use my graphics card and not the integrated option. It still chugged and I fixed this by...turning UP the detail settings. Putting vsync on and setting it to 60 FPS fixed pretty much all the problems. I was then able to turn up other details and turn on AA and the like.

Played through the first chapter. This game really doesn't feel like a Resident Evil title to me so far. I'm getting this budget The Last Of Us and Tomb Raider 2013 vibe from the game. Not only are the evironments kind of similar, but you even head to a radio tower, just like in TR. I like the first Revelations way more than this game right now.

So from what I gather the game is sorta okay? I might check out the physical version if they fix the massive frame drops and freezing issues on PS4.

joe2187

Banned
I think the fire breathing section is impossible on hard. In don't think it can be completed. Lol

I've completed it 3 times on survival, the third time I didnt even use the fire trap so I can get the trophy.

basically conserve all your ammo by using Moira and her OP flashlight and crowbar. When you get to the flamethrower have moira bust open the door and use Claire to funnel the infecetd. Shotgun to the face will take em down good, use fire bottles and explosive bottles on the big guys and repeat until you hear the second plank fall from moira and your done.

I've completed it 3 times on survival, the third time I didnt even use the fire trap so I can get the trophy.

basically conserve all your ammo by using Moira and her OP flashlight and crowbar. When you get to the flamethrower have moira bust open the door and use Claire to funnel the infecetd. Shotgun to the face will take em down good, use fire bottles and explosive bottles on the big guys and repeat until you hear the second plank fall from moira and your done.

Ugh, I have almost no ammo and no fire bottles.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got fucking WRECKED on the Claire episode near the end with that door. I played on Survivor initially and had a checkpoint where I was nearly dead, had a single handgun bullet and nothing else. That enemy gauntlet felt like it was literally impossible so I had to do a full restart. The companion AI wasn't really cooperating which was a pain in the ass.

Still, game is pretty interesting atleast. I liked the Barry section a lot.

Daigoro

Probably bit on the early side to be asking these questions and all, but has any tried a Knife Only run yet? I'm wondering if you can still much Moira's Crowbar and Natty's Brick or if it voids the cheevo.

i posted about this earlier. it voids the achievement.

not sure if the AI uses their weapons voids it as well. im guessing not. ill find out tomorrow.

Kssio_Aug

For those who are having problems with the end of the 1st chapter, when
Moira needs to open the door while you defend her
, here is what I did and made that super easy: just
crouch and walk right down the blades trap, while you watch the zombies dying trying to reach you.
. I have not even wasted my ammo!

Jobbs

Banned

if you go to moira and interact the door, then swap out, will she keep working on it while you play clare, or what? I was a bit unsure. also, will she go for the second attempt at the door after the first one completes on her own, or do you have to switch and intitiate that?

Lucent

TerraSave is a NGO that helps those affected by bioterrorism. They're not fighters.

Even so, I think they should be prepared for it. Claire is. I can't see them being like "Go aid these people. Don't worry about being able to defend yourself, you're screwed if you run into a situation where the terrorists confront you."

ironcreed

Banned
I have to admit that the episodic route had me writing this off, but now that I have played it I think it actually was a fantastic idea. I got just over 2 hours out of the episode and now I have something to look forward to for the next three weeks. Not to mention being able to enjoy the fun as hell Raid mode all along the way. This is a legit RE and a hell of a bargain for 25 bucks.

Top Bottom