• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil TGS Special Stage Event Stream on Sep 17th (RE7, Vendetta, & More)

Let's just read between the lines and put it out there - if we are going by both the language they have used to describe combat, what we have seen, and the recent Famitsu article, I think it is more than safe to say that if you're going into RE7 expect combat on the same scope, scale, or pacing of RE 4-6, then RE7 is not going to be the game for you.

Its going to be a slower game. Its going to have a larger emphasis on melee weapons. It's going to feature a smaller amount of enemies on screen at any given time or that the player must directly deal with at any one time. Yes, there will be guns, but I think anyone expecting gunplay on the level of RE 4-6 can already look elsewhere - this is not going to be the game for you.

Does that mean it has no combat? Absolutely not. It just means its very different and of a different pacing than most recent entries in the series. If the thing you come to the Resident Evil franchise for is that crazy, anime-inspired storylines or visceral, white knuckle combat, then RE7 will not be an entry you're going to enjoy, I can already tell you that.
Just a few posts above you, I already clarified what I expected to see from RE7 and it certainly wasn't the gameplay loop of RE4-6.

"With RE7, I though we were gonna get classic RE in FP view and more modernized format so I was really looking forward to it. But the more they show the title, the more I worry about the lack of combat."

"If the game doesn't have the basic gameplay loop that I've come to expect from a survival horror title through the years (especially classic RE games), then I genuinely don't see myself enjoying it."
Basically, I wanted to see RE1-3 level of combat in FP view and atmosphere of RE7. But thus far, Capcom hasn't shown anything to give me hope that we will actually get that. The combat in the TGS trailer at best seems like a way to just slow down enemies for a little while. Though, the guy didn't show any sort of feedback when he was getting shot, so who knows if we even can do that.

At any rate, REmake level of action is completely acceptable for me (and it's actually what I wanted from the title in the first place) if we can in fact hurt and kill enemies with weapons. But their latest trailer just showed how ineffective the combat is and made people like me even more concerned about it. So, while I'll continue to follow the game and see how it will turn out, I'm not holding my breath for its combat to be anything like REmake anymore.

You said that combat was a central focus for you regarding RE7.

I merely gave the suggestion that RE6 would give you that fulfillment, as it's central focus is in fact, combat [IMHO, to it's detriment].
I honestly don't know if you are trolling me or not. Cause you are interpreting my posts in ways that were not my intentions. I'm gonna assume that it's a case of not reading the posts carefully and not being a troll, so please read the posts more carefully.

I said combat is my central concern, not focus. Right now, I'm most worried about combat in RE7 since we haven't seen anything from it besides two seconds of uninteresting, ineffective gunfire.

I said combat is my central concern, not focus. Right now, I'm most worried about combat in RE7 since we haven't seen anything from it besides two seconds of uninteresting, ineffective gunfire.

If you're basing that on what CAPCOM hasn't shown us yet as Resident Evil fans, then everything should be your concern.

I'm holding out for the fact that they keep reiterating that this is going to be a true, return to form - a return to the original roots of the series and to true fear and horror.

To me, that sounds like a return to the original Resident Evil and that's enough for me to be excited. Add to that photo-realistic graphics and VR - how can this possibly fail ... and I mean that with a heavy dose of salt :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm getting really suspicious of Capcom right now.

3cc04624145aa7c817fe5840d19b4804.png

^This appeared at the Resident Evil stream at TGS a few days ago. I don't know what the poster is for, but I did not recognize that rendition of Nemesis. Some thought it was a Nemesis render from Operation Raccoon City, but it doesn't look like the same model to me. More so, that's not the model of the chaingun he uses in Operation Raccoon City either, it looks quite different, and Nemesis never uses a rocket launcher in the main game ORC, If someone knows where that render is from, do tell me as I don't recognize it.

I kind if let it slide though, but on RE.net, Capcom just posted a map of the tour they're doing for RE7 around the USA:

That's cool, but there's ANOTHER new render of the giant worm boss from RE3 in the top-right! Where are these new high-res renders of what seem to be models of RE3 bosses even coming from?

That's cool, but there's ANOTHER new render of the giant worm boss from RE3 in the top-right! Where are these new high-res renders of what seem to be models of RE3 bosses even coming from?

Could they be from Umbrella Chronicles? Unused models perhaps.

I'd love for it to be REmake 3 though.

Could they be from Umbrella Chronicles? Unused models perhaps.

I'd love for it to be REmake 3 though.

RE3 and Code Veronica should both be remade to bring every single mainline game up to current graphical standards. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I thought Alexia Ashford had the potential to be a great villain, but was turned into fodder. They could do a bit more with that story.

kc44135

Uh, what? Look, Capcom has not made any claims that this wasn't a Resident Evil game, or some sheep in wolves clothing of a product with the RE name slapped on the box. In fact, from the very first interview the game director did at E3, the notion that this Resident Evil would be a return to the horror roots of the series & also feature more puzzle solving than the last few entries (5 & 6) have had is something they've said since day 1. In that same breath and interview, however, they have said that combat is also a part of the game.

In fact, in that first interview the Game Director did, he said that combat is one of the 4 key pillars to the Resident Evil franchise, and the reason they hadn't included any in the demo was because they wanted to specifically focus on how they were re-prioritizing horror & atmosphere after having ignored it for so long in the series.

As stated in the Famitsu interview, this isn't a Resident Evil game where we'll be mowing down hordes of enemies & picking up loot that they drop upon being killed along away. Combat is gonna be slower & more methodical process, harkening back to the RE 1-3 era. But mowing down hordes of enemies has never been the sole defining pillar of the RE franchise. Combat has been a part of it yes, but its only been a part of it. For many fans who loved the atmosphere & horror the series used to focus on 14 years ago or so, this entry is super intriguing. I know it'll have combat & gunplay and all that visceral action that I do want to see, I just know that its not gonna be on the same scope or scale as earlier RE titles.

I'm referring to the actual marketing, the trailers and such, that seem almost determined to portray it as something that it (hopefully) is not. The Lantern trailer focuses almost entirely on hide n seek gameplay, and the latest trailer features the protagonist running from, and trying ineffectively to attack Jack Baker. No wonder people say it's an Outlast clone. Plus, Capcom hypes up TGS, and what do we get? The Lantern Demo, again! I mean, we know there's combat, resource management, and a variety of other elements equally crucial to a true Survival Horror experience, which is what I want at the end if the day, and which Capcom refuses to show. Sure, they've talked about these elements, but it's one thing to talk, and another to show, I think.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I tell you what RE7 reminds me of...Alien Isolation
Even down to the ineffective weapons.
I think thats what I'm expecting and before you say it, I love Alien Isolation.
But ya know Resident Evil and all that.

kc44135

I tell you what RE7 reminds me of...Alien Isolation
Even down to the ineffective weapons.
I think thats what I'm expecting and before you say it, I love Alien Isolation.
But ya know Resident Evil and all that.

Yeah, that could be a decent comparison based on what we know so far. Jack and other enemies like him are the bosses or stalkers (like the Alien) that can only be driven off instead of killed (at least until the until the inevitable scripted event that takes him out), and then there are regular enemies like zombies and such (hopefully) strewn throughout the game as well that you actually can fight. I do hope that if I'm correct on this assumption, that Jack and potentially other stalker enemies are scripted to only show up at specific points (like RE3's Nemesis) rather than random (like the Alien). I also really liked Alien: Isolation, but I don't know that that's the style of horror (with something constantly stalking you) that I want from RE7.

TGO

Yeah, that could be a decent comparison based on what we know so far. Jack and other enemies like him are the bosses or stalkers (like the Alien) that can only be driven off instead of killed (at least until the until the inevitable scripted event that takes him out), and then there are regular enemies like zombies and such (hopefully) strewn throughout the game as well that you actually can fight. I do hope that if I'm correct on this assumption, that Jack and potentially other stalker enemies are scripted to only show up at specific points (like RE3's Nemesis) rather than random (like the Alien). I also really liked Alien: Isolation, but I don't know that that's the style of horror (with something constantly stalking you) that I want from RE7.
Be funny if it is considering Creative Assembly did make a pitch for RE7.
Which also contradicts how long this version of RE7 has been in development.
Why would Capcom be having pitches for games they already have in development?
They took the idea...just not the one CA pitched

Jacob4815

Maybe they will be included in the Re2 remake? They could combine Re 2& 3' stories.

^This appeared at the Resident Evil stream at TGS a few days ago. I don't know what the poster is for, but I did not recognize that rendition of Nemesis. Some thought it was a Nemesis render from Operation Raccoon City, but it doesn't look like the same model to me. More so, that's not the model of the chaingun he uses in Operation Raccoon City either, it looks quite different, and Nemesis never uses a rocket launcher in the main game ORC, If someone knows where that render is from, do tell me as I don't recognize it.

I kind if let it slide though, but on RE.net, Capcom just posted a map of the tour they're doing for RE7 around the USA:

Wow capcom go fuck yourselfs. Let's pretend Florida doesn't exist. (Insert Florida jokes here)

Kuraudo

Banned
Be funny if it is considering Creative Assembly did make a pitch for RE7.
Which also contradicts how long this version of RE7 has been in development.
Why would Capcom be having pitches for games they already have in development?
They took the idea...just not the one CA pitched

It doesn't really contradict it, because we don't know if Capcom ever even saw the CA pitch. CA were internally developing a number of ideas internally to take to license holders - including Django Unchained, a Marvel project, and a Resident Evil title. The most likely time period is probably about 2012/3, so before the current version of 7 was being produced, but it could easily have been scrapped before they took it to Capcom or outright rejected purely because Capcom were working on their own 7.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Nemesis with the has a chain gun, so it's probably an ORC render/model. I don't remember the worm boss existing elsewhere tho. Maybe Chronicles? Either way, it's not the first time Cpapcom's made new renders for promotional materials. Don't forget the 20th anniversary poster.

The original Gun Survivor had that (the combat, anyway) and wasn't very good. That said it wouldn't hurt for them to try again with a higher budget and better gameplay design.

This is why seeing it in action is so important. We can talk all we want about what will be in the game but without seeing it we won't know how it feels which is the most important thing.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I just want to reiterate how uncomfortably HARD this game is making me.

Everything about it to me seems to be the perfect blend of, "let's step away from where 5 and 6 were going and harken back to when RE could be more frightening" and "let's experiment with some new shit like we did with 4."

I fucking loved Resident Evil 4 and had Capcom truly made a sequel worthy of what 4 brought to the table then I would have been fine with that direction. But they didn't quite get there with 5 and by 6 the game had more in common with Gears of War than its own franchise. Bro-op Resident Evil wasn't the message to take from 4's success.

But here's Capcom taking another massive chance with the series and I can only applaud them for that. Those that pine for the action/co-op focused REs can find much better shooting and multiplayer games elsewhere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The original Gun Survivor had that (the combat, anyway) and wasn't very good. That said it wouldn't hurt for them to try again with a higher budget and better gameplay design.

I have a sweet spot for the first survivor in my heart, they TRIED something. Sure the game's production values were just about nil, they reused all the assets from RE2 and the story .. let's not even talk about the story and characters. The perspective gave the game a unique feel, and for it's time, the game had some of the best and more informative files the RE games had had.

At least they tried. Handgun D for life !

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Everything about it to me seems to be the perfect blend of, "let's step away from where 5 and 6 were going and harken back to when RE could be more frightening" and "let's experiment with some new shit like we did with 4."

I fucking loved Resident Evil 4 and had Capcom truly made a sequel worthy of what 4 brought to the table then I would have been fine with that direction. But they didn't quite get there with 5 and by 6 the game had more in common with Gears of War than its own franchise. Bro-op Resident Evil wasn't the message to take from 4's success.

But here's Capcom taking another massive chance with the series and I can only applaud them for that. Those that pine for the action/co-op focused REs can find much better shooting and multiplayer games elsewhere.

5 had waaay more in common with 4 than Gears. I hate how people lump 5 and 6 together like that. Each game was its own thing. 5 absolutely was a worthy successor to 4.

And no, not really, the RE co-op experience is really unmatched in many ways, from the way the screen splits in local to the way item management works (6 non-withstanding). There's no other series with Resident Evil's charm, polish and style as far as co-op goes. (sod off with the term "bro-op" tho, as if one has to be a "dudebro" to enjoy that type of game plus the implication that if you are a "dudebro" you're tastes are somehow lesser)

Don't get me wrong tho, I'm looking forward to seeing more from 7: Biohazard. It's probably gonna be a good game. Most REs are.

I have a sweet spot for the first survivor in my heart, they TRIED something. Sure the game's production values were just about nil, they reused all the assets from RE2 and the story .. let's not even talk about the story and characters. The perspective gave the game a unique feel, and for it's time, the game had some of the best and more informative files the RE games had had.

At least they tried. Handgun D for life !

The story was amazing! Didn't they need children's brains to be happy o extract a substance to make B.O.W.s or something?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The story was amazing! Didn't they need children's brains to be happy o extract a substance to make B.O.W.s or something?

Yeah .. and the children needed to be alive and conscious because the pain makes that specific juice they need more potent.

TGO

It doesn't really contradict it, because we don't know if Capcom ever even saw the CA pitch. CA were internally developing a number of ideas internally to take to license holders - including Django Unchained, a Marvel project, and a Resident Evil title. The most likely time period is probably about 2012/3, so before the current version of 7 was being produced, but it could easily have been scrapped before they took it to Capcom or outright rejected purely because Capcom were working on their own 7.
I really don't see CA pitching for games while knee deep in Alien Isolations production and the concept artist only started at CA in 2012.
It was obviously done nearing the end or after Alien Isolation was finished.
But you're right they probably never pitched it, although I don't think the Alien style was what they was pitching.

5 had waaay more in common with 4 than Gears. I hate how people lump 5 and 6 together like that. Each game was its own thing. 5 absolutely was a worthy successor to 4.

And no, not really, the RE co-op experience is really unmatched in many ways, from the way the screen splits in local to the way item management works (6 non-withstanding). There's no other series with Resident Evil's charm, polish and style as far as co-op goes. (sod off with the term "bro-op" tho, as if one has to be a "dudebro" to enjoy that type of game plus the implication that if you are a "dudebro" you're tastes are somehow lesser)

Don't get me wrong tho, I'm looking forward to seeing more from 7: Biohazard. It's probably gonna be a good game. Most REs are.

This. RE5 is absolutely a worthy successor to 4, it's basically the same game with good gameplay improvements. Level design and pacing wasn't as good but what game is. And the coop I say is the best coop in all of gaming. RE5 is one of the best games of last gen.

Kazuhira

I wonder if there're no auto-saves/checkpoints/retry option in this game,which is one issue i have with modern horror games but i can understand how annoying this is for most players nowadays.

But they are not taking the leap or experimenting as the same level as RE4. So far from the footage we have received, it seemed to just take tropes and mechanics from the not so recent first person horror games.

But they are not taking the leap or experimenting as the same level as RE4. So far from the footage we have received, it seemed to just take tropes and mechanics from the not so recent first person horror games.

What?!? The VHS thing is itself wholly unique to RE7 and other first-person horror games. Yes, it is a method of puzzle solving if you boil it down. However, the possibilities that are implied with how the VHS is currently implemented in the demo leaves some serious room for potential with regards to branching paths within the narrative.

What tropes from other first person horror games are they taking? What, cause Mia in her one VHS time that we have currently seen must hide from a character while she is being hunted, suddenly the game is cribbing it from that and Amnesia wholesale, even though that entire event is a narrative, disjointed slice in another person's time, and we might be able to literally affect the environment of the present through the actions or non-actions of what we do in the past.

TGO

^^ Not really a fan of the Bill & Ted puzzles, kinda silly really.

Neff

RE7's tape mechanic seems pretty novel (it's basically a time travel mechanic, but at least I've not seen it done in this format before), and it's a fresh take on the series' traditional zapping system. I'm looking forward to it being used in some imaginative ways.

RE7's tape mechanic seems pretty novel (it's basically a time travel mechanic, but at least I've not seen it done in this format before), and it's a fresh take on the series' traditional zapping system. I'm looking forward to it being used in some imaginative ways.

It also encourages replayability. What you learn from watching the VHS tapes can be used to approach certain puzzles differently in subsequent runs.

I have a feeling we're gonna get something vastly different from raid and mercy. As long as it is an actual bonus mode though, that isn't garbage like leech hunt I'll be cool with it.

Leech Hunt is awesome.

They seem like playable versions of the traditional, boring audio/video logs in other games that also have the benefit of affecting the game world. It's a really cool idea and I hope it's implemented well.

Jawmuncher

Leech Hunt is awesome.

They seem like playable versions of the traditional, boring audio/video logs in other games that also have the benefit of affecting the game world. It's a really cool idea and I hope it's implemented well.

It's not the worst game thing, but I never felt it was something you' could go back to and really enjoy from time to time. Not too many people boot up 0 and go, I need me some leech hunt.

Neff

It also encourages replayability. What you learn from watching the VHS tapes can be used to approach certain puzzles differently in subsequent runs.

Well, we don't really know that yet. I mean, with the demo, regarding the secret door, you could either get lucky by investigating the fireplace first or watch the video for a hint, so you either chance upon success or the game straight up tells you, which isn't really a different approach as such, at least not one which is conducive to differing experiences upon repeat play, since the end result is the same. And the locked drawer in the kitchen is only solvable by going into the video. I think most of the tape-specific puzzles will play out as either the former example or the latter. RE's puzzles almost always have one specific objective and solution (the only examples to the contrary I can think of are RE3's 'randomised' puzzles and RECV's blue plaques which can be acquired/used in separate locations, in the order of your choice). But like I said, who knows?

To me they aren't a time travel mechanic; they are a new, interactive way to experience backstory. As you watch the tapes, you are actively, simultaneously playing them and are essentially directing/controlling the narrative as well as the outcome of the scenario.

How they end, what you find and the choices you make all depend on the player.

I think it's brilliant.

Top Bottom