• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil TGS Special Stage Event Stream on Sep 17th (RE7, Vendetta, & More)

Yup, that looks like Mia...

One thing I thought about a couple of days ago;
Didn't Capcom do the same "show next to nothing" thing with both RE0 and RE4?
Like, did we even see any images/videos of RE0 outside the train?
We didn't see the Ganado transforming or anyhting like that either right? Atleast I remember being all "Meh..." when the first one transformed.

I think we kill the Bakers except for maybe Lucas and the game changes location or something.

True but we knew how those games played. Showing locations and enemies is spoiler territory, we just want to know what the gameplay is like.

Lucas to me screams first boss. He is the young stupid one. Probably quick to please his pops so he wants to show he can kill Ethan and he will die first. Which pisses off pops.

I just realized this, do we know if Ethan is a silent protagonist or not? RE is known for its tally heroes so my money is that he talks. Still it's concerning, we know nothing on that as well.

No wonder you're concerned about this game. You don't even know about things that have already been shown.

No wonder you're concerned about this game. You don't even know about things that have already been shown.

Lol good god. I only watched the gameplay part of that trailer multiple times, I don't care for the story stuff yet, totally slipped my mind there was a voice over.

I am concerned cause I trust my eyes a lot more than dev talk. I don't blindly trust what they say. And believe me I know every piece of info on the game so far, I've read all the rumors.

Lol good god. I only watched the gameplay part of that trailer multiple times, I don't care for the story stuff yet, totally slipped my mind there was a voice over.

I am concerned cause I trust my eyes a lot more than dev talk. I don't blindly trust what they say.

Nothing they've said has really contradicted anything they've shown.

I actually do think though that if you're expecting a traditional RE experience, you're going to be disappointed. I feel pretty confident in saying that. RE7 looks like a new type of horror experience with a lot of RE staples....but not your typical RE game.

Nothing they've said has really contradicted anything they've shown.

I actually do think though that if you're expecting a traditional RE experience, you're going to be disappointed. I'm pretty confident in saying that. RE7 looks like a new type of horror experience with a lot of RE staples....but not your typical RE game.

Then I have a right to be afraid. They have limited ammo, a maze like mansion, monsters, item boxes, limited inventory. They have all those things, what do you think that sounds like?

Then I have a right to be afraid. They have limited ammo, a maze like mansion, monsters, item boxes, limited inventory. They have all those things, what do you think that sounds like?

Those sound like RE staples. My guess though is that combat (the main thing some of you are freaking out about) is going to be a pretty small focus. Like, it's going to be there for sure, but you'll never fight more than one or two enemies at a time. I mean, this is how the first RE was, but I think it'll bother a lot of you anyway. I think the one complaint from longtime fans that I can generally empathize with is the move to a first person perspective. I personally have absolutely no issue with that, but I genuinely can see why that would be a frustration for some.

That's how it used to be most of the time outside some zombie rooms.

Yeah, for sure. I added a bit more to my post.

Those sound like RE staples. My guess though is that combat (the main thing some of you are freaking out about) is going to be a pretty small focus. Like, it's going to be there for sure, but you'll never fight more than one or two enemies at a time.

That's how it used to be most of the time outside some zombie rooms. Just show the damn game so we can all stop speculating and just know what we are in for.

kc44135

No news about Remake 2 worries me

There's likely nothing to worry about yet. Capcom is just focusing on RE7 right now. There will likely be a ton of RE2 news next year. Also, the game was only greenlight a little over a year ago. It takes time for games to really come together and be ready to show to the public.

kc44135

Those sound like RE staples. My guess though is that combat (the main thing some of you are freaking out about) is going to be a pretty small focus. Like, it's going to be there for sure, but you'll never fight more than one or two enemies at a time. I mean, this is how the first RE was, but I think it'll bother a lot of you anyway. I think the one complaint from longtime fans that I can generally empathize with is the move to a first person perspective. I personally have absolutely no issue with that, but I genuinely can see why that would be a frustration for some.

Yeah, for sure. I added a bit more to my post.

I have zero issues awith what you just described. I just want Capcom to SHOW it, instead of just talking it up or teasing it. I mean, seriously, why hide something like that? It's really disconcerting to me.

I have zero issues awith what you just described. I just want Capcom to SHOW it, instead of just talking it up or teasing it. I mean, seriously, why hide something like that? It's really disconcerting to me.

I think the main reason they haven't shown a bunch of combat yet (the newest trailer does show some) is they aren't ready to reveal the standard enemies yet, as it probably spoils a bit of the story. This is assuming there actually are basic enemy types. It's possible you're only fighting the family members and some of the people they've kidnapped, but I'd be surprised if that's the case.

I think the main reason they haven't shown a bunch of combat yet (the newest trailer does show some) is they aren't ready to reveal the standard enemies yet, as it probably spoils a bit of the story. This is assuming there actually are basic enemy types. It's possible you're only fighting the family members and some of the people they've kidnapped, but I'd be surprised if that's the case.

But we have seen what looks like the regular enemies in that tech demonstration from GDC. I don't think that is the case.

My guess is there will be two kinds of enemies. The family members where you need to run and maybe slow them down, they are nemesis like enemies who chase you. The other kind are the traditional monsters which you can kill.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You guys finally noticed the Mia/Kitchen Girl connection. XD; I noticed unintentionally a few weeks ago when rewatching the original trailer ("Hey, that face looks a lot like Mia-Oh.), but I didn't want to spoil people so I haven't mentioned it in my theories or to anyone outside of a few friends, but good job on noticing the connection too.

Also, a German friend translated the file, we got the demo character full names: Peter Walker, Clancy Javis and Andre Stickland.

The Baker family segment is only a small portion of the full game, right?

It would be very boring and inane to have that be the entirety of the RE7 experience.

Dusk Golem

It would be very boring and inane to have that be the entirety of the RE7 experience.

While the Plantation is obviously an important location for RE7, no it's not the only location in RE7.

You can see a factory briefly the initial E3 reveal and the Factory is also in the background of the game's key art, as well as brief glimpses of an urban environment.

While one cannot say with certainty, I feel everything we've been shown so far, however briefly, is mostly from the first hour and a half of the game probably.

I also am under the impression the Plantation is more than one building. I don't know this 100%, but the Famitsu description made it sound like there was more than one building, the way the Lantern demo starts implies it, and the fact this is a plantation could imply it's composed of several buildings over a plot of land. I also imagine we'll be going to the forest/swamp in-between the buildings in the early game.

Most people don't go on video game websites and read about dev interviews and rumors. They see a trailer and maybe play the demo, if those two things are not indicative of your game then you failed to get the message out to the general public of what your game is.

The message for the mainstream is, this is not RE5/6.

They've shown the basics of puzzles, exploration and item management in the demo. Now they've shown combat. It's not that hard to imagine how they make a full game out of that. People are focusing too much on the perspective and art direction, which makes it look more alien than it actually is.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The picture on the top left Mia? If so, she's the crazed infected woman that attacks you in the Teaser. Look at the tanktop.

enemymarked.png

hqdefault.jpg

latest

la3qoze4tkqhilkssd.gif

While the Plantation is obviously an important location for RE7, no it's not the only location in RE7.

You can see a factory briefly the initial E3 reveal and the Factory is also in the background of the game's key art, as well as brief glimpses of an urban environment.

While one cannot say with certainty, I feel everything we've been shown so far, however briefly, is mostly from the first hour and a half of the game probably.

I also am under the impression the Plantation is more than one building. I don't know this 100%, but the Famitsu description made it sound like there was more than one building, the way the Lantern demo starts implies it, and the fact this is a plantation could imply it's composed of several buildings over a plot of land. I also imagine we'll be going to the forest/swamp in-between the buildings in the early game.

I loved the areas outside the mansion in the REmake. It added so much atmosphere just to be able to wander around the property and it's grounds.

I hope there's a lot of variety regarding the locations we will see in RE7 - as well as lots of environmental interactions like damage, things we can manipulate, look at, etc.

Dusk Golem

I loved the areas outside the mansion in the REmake. It added so much atmosphere just to be able to wander around the property and it's grounds.

I hope there's a lot of variety regarding the locations we will see in RE7 - as well as lots of environmental interactions like damage, things we can manipulate, look at, etc.

The whole segment where you leave the mansion for the first time, go to the cabin in the deep forest, and go to the residence (and aqua ring) is actually my personal favorite segment of REmake, so I completely agree.

There is some gameplay shots/footage of the forests, so I'm not too worried about the possibility of outdoor locations. I am curious of their role, there's a lot of interesting things they can do on the plantation alone, it just all matters how they decide to tackle it.

The whole segment where you leave the mansion for the first time, go to the cabin in the deep forest, and go to the residence (and aqua ring) is actually my personal favorite segment of REmake, so I completely agree.

Mine too!

The aqua ring blew me away in REmake - the first time I saw it [and the giant Great White Shark I was floored. The way the volumetric water realistically moves and ebbes as you move through it, still blows my mind to this day!

Astral Dog

this is what we need right now, a focused experience on a creepy plantation with demented inteligent mutants!, though the Baker family wont be the only enemies of course, neither the house the only location.

But i mean the entire game could be on the plantation alone and Capcom would make it work with incredibly varied settings ,environments or locations, Resident Evil has always been pretty good at this im not sure why so worried.

kc44135

There is some gameplay shots/footage of the forests, so I'm not too worried about the possibility of outdoor locations. I am curious of their role, there's a lot of interesting things they can do on the plantation alone, it just all matters how they decide to tackle it.

This is also my favourite part of REmake as well. Outdoor environments (and a wide variety of locations to explore in general) is definitely something I'm hoping for with RE7.

TreIII

Lucas to me screams first boss. He is the young stupid one. Probably quick to please his pops so he wants to show he can kill Ethan and he will die first. Which pisses off pops.

I disagree. The way that the Sewer Gators made it sound like Lucas was some type of "bad seed" in their VHS segment, makes me think there's a bit more to him. He's either someone who just might end up on your side (or uses you for as long as it benefits him), and/or he's going to be the worst of the bunch.

Either way, his interactions with Daddy-dearest so far don't paint the prettiest of pictures that he and Jack get along all that well. But what's an antagonistic family in the RE-verse without having plenty of drama~?

Dusk Golem

I disagree. The way that the Sewer Gators made it sound like Lucas was some type of "bad seed" in their VHS segment, makes me think there's a bit more to him. He's either someone who just might end up on your side (or uses you for as long as it benefits him), and/or he's going to be the worst of the bunch.

Either way, his interactions with Daddy-dearest so far don't paint the prettiest of pictures that he and Jack get along all that well. But what's an antagonistic family in the RE-verse without having plenty of drama~?

I don't exactly know Lucas' role in the game, but both the leaker AND the Famitsu article mentioned Lucas is a major character, so he could end up being the main villain, or play some other role. To be seen though, since we know very little about him.

I actually have a theory
that Lucas is a tragic character. He seems childish from the bit we see of him and apparently suffers quite violent abuse from his father, and I think the newest demo basically spells out his sister is dead but came back as a B.O.W. who I assume is the ghost girl. I think he's grown up in this house with his family all of his life and is maliciously playful since that's the sort of twisted environment he grew up in, and he acts still childish because he's always been the 'kid' of Jack and Marguerite, an abusive father and mother in a broken home. Since the game has a choice system, I'm wondering if you'll be able to either spare or kill Lucas ultimately, especially since he's been mentioned to be a major character.

Jake2by4

I don't exactly know Lucas' role in the game, but both the leaker AND the Famitsu article mentioned Lucas is a major character, so he could end up being the main villain, or play some other role. To be seen though, since we know very little about him.

I actually have a theory
that Lucas is a tragic character. He seems childish from the bit we see of him and apparently suffers quite violent abuse from his father, and I think the newest demo basically spells out his sister is dead but came back as a B.O.W. who I assume is the ghost girl. I think he's grown up in this house with his family all of his life and is maliciously playful since that's the sort of twisted environment he grew up in, and he acts still childish because he's always been the 'kid' of Jack and Marguerite, an abusive father and mother in a broken home. Since the game has a choice system, I'm wondering if you'll be able to either spare or kill Lucas ultimately, especially since he's been mentioned to be a major character.

If he is indeed a
Bow, why would he be spared
? They must be destroyed.

The message for the mainstream is, this is not RE5/6.

They've shown the basics of puzzles, exploration and item management in the demo. Now they've shown combat. It's not that hard to imagine how they make a full game out of that. People are focusing too much on the perspective and art direction, which makes it look more alien than it actually is.

No they have not, showing two seconds of combat is not showing the combat. Can you tell me how the hit detection is? Will there be limb specific attacks, will shooting in the leg bring down enemies or will they be bullet sponges? How will melee weapons work, will the break after long use? How are the enemies, fast, slow?

How is the item management, will the item boxes be magical boxes that connect through the whole game.

What is the exploration like, is the mansion open? Will there be lots of backtracking? Will there be open areas? They show driving is that scripted or can you actually drive around an area?

We don't know much of anything. All of us are just guessing what we want this game to me.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Okay not giant anime boobies, but still. I'm just saying I'm seeing some restraint.
Bubble butts are what this series is notorious for. >_>

B.O.Ws have feelings too, not all are evil they deserve the right to live and be treated with respect.
You're playing with fire with this logic. There are like, two non dangerous B.O.W.s in the entire series....

TreIII

I actually have a theory

I like the way you think.

I could certainly imagine an ending or two where Lucas ends up on your side, and maybe you might even play as him in a separate segment with his own gameplay attributes, as a possibility. We'll likely have plenty of opportunities to play as stock humans like Ethan, Mia or other victims, so playing as nigh-invincible BOWs like Ethan or maybe even an established RE hero like Chris Redfield could make for the kind of "gameplay variety" that allows RE7's combat to shine.

Also, considering that some of the preorder bonuses focus on "additional stories", maybe Lucas even get his own story route to play.

Either way, I could certainly imagine both Ethan and Lucas ending up as breakout characters that end up as ongoing fixtures in the RE lore. These are the first new characters we've gotten in the series who may not die in the very game they're introduced, so I have high hopes for both of them!

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Manuela is one, who is the other?

Sherry, I guess? Only people with powers (that we know of) that aren't literal monsters or murderous psychopaths. I guess Natalia probably has Wesker powers, but she's Alex, so yeah. And I guess Jill is immune to Progenitor variants, does that count? And Moira was infected by t-Phobos and it activated without mutating her, so who knows.

Dusk Golem

No they have not, showing two seconds of combat is not showing the combat. Can you tell me how the hit detection is? Will there be limb specific attacks, will shooting in the leg bring down enemies or will they be bullet sponges? How will melee weapons work, will the break after long use? How are the enemies, fast, slow?

How is the item management, will the item boxes be magical boxes that connect through the whole game.

What is the exploration like, is the mansion open? Will there be lots of backtracking? Will there be open areas? They show driving is that scripted or can you actually drive around an area?

We don't know much of anything. All of us are just guessing what we want this game to me.

I can answer all of those questions from what's been provided so far at least partially, but I'm sure we will see with time.

01.) Hit detection was actually covered at CEDEC, but more so there are a few small demonstrations in a few of the showings so far. There is a dynamic hit detection system in Resident Evil 7 which responds to where you hit enemies, leaving a small visible mark as well and a response from the enemy when they're assaulted. However, enemies can lose the use of their limbs (
and I believe they can rejuvenate their use
), and enemies can be stunned or incapacitated in certain ways for a period of time. Enemies can also be defeated in scenes with them (
though I suspect fully they cannot be killed until specific story moments, and 'killing' them before these moments will only take them out of the scene, to return later maybe even more mutated upon defeat, but this one is more a theory of mine
). Enemies will respond to being shot in different parts of their bodies, but it has been confirmed some enemies are more frail and while others are more lumbering, some can take pain much better than others. That last bit is a loose translation, but something that's been shared.

What's missing from my information is how specific reactions to being hit in certain places work, and how specific weapons work, IE explosives, chainsaw, etc.

02.) Item management uses a grid-based system, there is implication you may eventually get larger grid inventory space to use as the game goes on. Items can be shifted between other items to fit in your inventory Tetris-style, and items can be examined, combined, used, or disposed of from the menu. Disposal seems to only work for consumable items, IE ammo, herbs. The Item Boxes have to be connected, for one thing the game has a pre-order bonus of items which would take up too much room in your inventory initially, I suspect they start off stored in your item box and you can pick them up from there while you play, and can first be acquired when you first reach an item box. However, it would surprise me if the game's hardest difficulty (known as Madhouse Mode) maybe put trickier restrictions on item boxes ala REmake's realism difficulty add-on, but it is to be seen.

03.) The game uses a mixture of more open-ended explorable locations and linear segments for progression. Back-tracking does play a role in RE7 as you will need to go to item boxes for inventory management, get key items to open up or access previously inaccessible areas, and the game is set with a series of rooms that can be freely explored rather than a Point A to Point B deal. This said, there is points of progress to finally achieve to make progress eventually, and this next part is theory, but I believe that previous areas will become inaccessible after a certain point of progress ala Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica as opposed to REmake or Zero (outside of the train). I think you'll be centered around a general location or two you can freely explore, until you progress to the next main area.

I will clarify this isn't just me 'guessing'. I try to clearly state what is fact and what is more my intuition of putting things together or just personal more far-fetched theories. We won't know the full details, but there's been far more shared than I think you realize. Some just need to be a bit more observant, but more of this will be shown with time more solidly.

Sherry, I guess? Only people with powers (that we know of) that aren't literal monsters or murderous psychopaths. I guess Natalia probably has Wesker powers, but she's Alex, so yeah. And I guess Jill is immune to Progenitor variants, does that count? And Moira was infected by t-Phobos and it activated without mutating her, so who knows.

You never see Piers die actually, and if the RE series has taught me anything, if you don't see them die, they're probably not dead.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Sherry Birkin.

That is correct, and even though I have a slight distaste for blatant "oversexiness", if it has to be one or the other then bubble butts are the way to go.
The best part about the way they're making models in this game is that the subtle difference in body types, instead of everyone having the same body type as Jill.

A few psychopaths using the BOWs for evil purposes don't make them monsters.

just look at this cute thing, he was a good boy inside.
He wasn't though, he was absolutely determined to wreck Jill's shit. B.O.W.s in the majority of cases absolutely lose their humanity.

I can answer all of those questions from what's been provided so far at least partially, but I'm sure we will see with time.

01.) Hit detection was actually covered at CEDEC, but more so there are a few small demonstrations in a few of the showings so far. There is a dynamic hit detection system in Resident Evil 7 which responds to where you hit enemies, leaving a small visible mark as well and a response from the enemy when they're assaulted. However, enemies can lose the use of their limbs (
and I believe they can rejuvenate their use
), and enemies can be stunned or incapacitated in certain ways for a period of time. Enemies can also be defeated in scenes with them (
though I suspect fully they cannot be killed until specific story moments, and 'killing' them before these moments will only take them out of the scene, to return later maybe even more mutated upon defeat, but this one is more a theory of mine
). Enemies will respond to being shot in different parts of their bodies, but it has been confirmed some enemies are more frail and while others are more lumbering, some can take pain much better than others. That last bit is a loose translation, but something that's been shared.

What's missing from my information is how specific reactions to being hit in certain places work, and how specific weapons work, IE explosives, chainsaw, etc.

02.) Item management uses a grid-based system, there is implication you may eventually get larger grid inventory space to use as the game goes on. Items can be shifted between other items to fit in your inventory Tetris-style, and items can be examined, combined, used, or disposed of from the menu. Disposal seems to only work for consumable items, IE ammo, herbs. The Item Boxes have to be connected, for one thing the game has a pre-order bonus of items which would take up too much room in your inventory initially, I suspect they start off stored in your item box and you can pick them up from there while you play, and can first be acquired when you first reach an item box. However, it would surprise me if the game's hardest difficulty (known as Madhouse Mode) maybe put trickier restrictions on item boxes ala REmake's realism difficulty add-on, but it is to be seen.

03.) The game uses a mixture of more open-ended explorable locations and linear segments for progression. Back-tracking does play a role in RE7 as you will need to go to item boxes for inventory management, get key items to open up or access previously inaccessible areas, and the game is set with a series of rooms that can be freely explored rather than a Point A to Point B deal. This said, there is points of progress to finally achieve to make progress eventually, and this next part is theory, but I believe that previous areas will become inaccessible after a certain point of progress ala Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica as opposed to REmake or Zero (outside of the train). I think you'll be centered around a general location or two you can freely explore, until you progress to the next main area.

I will clarify this isn't just me 'guessing'. I try to clearly state what is fact and what is more my intuition of putting things together or just personal more far-fetched theories. We won't know the full details, but there's been far more shared than I think you realize. Some just need to be a bit more observant, but more of this will be shown with time more solidly.

You never see Piers die actually, and if the RE series has taught me anything, if you don't see them die, they're probably not dead.

Once again dusk golem doing a better job of selling the game than capcom. Thank you. That sounds exactly like the game I want.

If you're not happy with what you've seen, just wait 72 hours after launch and you'll have a whole host of asshole shouty outraged streamers with faux shocked thumbnails picking the game apart showing you whatever you want to see.

Personally I'm sick of being trailered to death this generation. RE7 getting revealed six months pre-launch and having currently little to go on is refreshing.

Time will tell if it's a good game. It may be. It may not. But pissing on the game with 'concern' and the developers just because they've chosen to take this tack promoting it is pointless. 'Its Capcom, they messed up SFV so it's proof they are off their game' is one of the more amusing jumps of logic I've heard today.
Capcom messing up SFV's launch is proof that you can't trust their words. Since they had said numerous times that one of their goals with SFV would be to bring in more casuals. Yet, they released the game without even the most basic features that casuals would expect from a fighting game, like VS CPU or ladder/arcade mode.

And I talked about SFV cause Capcom has been pretty much dead this gen so I couldn't find any other big recent release from them. Unless you wanna talk about Umbrella Corps and use that as an example to show how Capcom has been "on their game" lately.

Anyway, if people want to be naive and trust Capcom solely on their words yet again, then so be it. Who am I to stop them. What I see with RE7 is a an Outlast clone with some added ineffective combat, and that's what I expect to get if I ever buy the game. Which right now definitely won't be anytime soon after its release.

Now in the meantime if they show anything else to prove that I'm wrong and the game is more than that, then great. But I'm not holding my breath for that, and I certainly won't accept their words on it.

kc44135

Once again dusk golem doing a better job of selling the game than capcom. Thank you. That sounds exactly like the game I want.

Yeah, all of this sounds exactly like the game I want, also. Dusk's posts have convinced me that RE7 actually has some pretty cool stuff going on, and could be a really special game, and that it's simply Capcom's bizarre marketing that's at fault here. They just aren't doing a great job right now of conveying what this game is to people. They should just hire Dusk already, lol.

RedSnake

Mega long post
Great post that summarizes a lot of information.
I'm still on the fence on some of it in the sense that I don't know how it'll be presented in the game but everything you've said has been said or shown.

I THINK I'm going to like the game.
It's going to be a new take on RE but it looks good to me.

I honestly think I've seen enough but I'd like to know 2 things:
1. Can you aim down sights?
2. Are there going to be "normal" enemies? Some people say you can see them in the E3 trailer but I don't remember seeing them, just 2 shadowy human-like beings that could easily be the Bakers.

Top Bottom