• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review: Nintendo Wireless Keyboard

hirokazu

I bought this for cheap. The keys feel a bit strange and take some getting used to, but it was worth it as a cheap, compact Bluetooth keyboard. What I don't like about it is the nonsensical (European layout?) placement of some of the keys, which makes it prone for typos.

I mean, who the hell puts the forward slash between the left Shift and Z keys?! People who want to mess with your typing groove, that's who. And fn + ~ for the Esc command? Should've been Esc by default and fn + Esc to type ~... Whoever useability tested this layout needs to be shot. The Japanese version has some different key placements and may or may not be better.

nintendo_keyboard.jpg

The other annoyance is that for some reason, non-Apple keyboards take a long time to reconnect to Macs after they've gone into idle mode. This also happens with my Logitech Mac keyboard so it's not really an issue with Nintendo's keyboard. They take up to 20-30 seconds to reconnect after idle whereas Apple keyboards are instantaneous. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, it's currently sitting in my drawer as a spare keyboard. Although I intended to use it with the PS3, I never got around to actually pairing it up.

I've also never tried the game it was bundled with because it looks like you just type out Pokémon names whereas I'd much prefer a typing game to feature proper words and sentences like in Typing of the Dead.

Top Bottom