• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REZ INFINITE coming to PSVR!

Wow this might be the game to push me to get a PS4.

Will be bummed if it doesn't come out for Xbox One.. Which seems like the case. :/

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno if this was posted by PS Blog entry is up.

Wow this might be the game to push me to get a PS4.

Will be bummed if it doesn't come out for Xbox One.. Which seems like the case. :/

To be fair, Rez HD was exclusive to the 360 and never made it even to PC. Hopefully it will be available via backwards compatibility?

Absolut

Neo Member
Whaaaaaat? Okay, I'm happily purchasing Rez for the 3rd time even if i don't plan to buy a VR headset anytime soon! :)

Yes! Third time for me as well, no regrets! With this the final reason to ever dig out my Xbox360 will be gone as well I think. I definately plan on getting PSVR as soon as it is released though!

EDIT: As is probably apparent looking at my avatar, I REALLY Love this game!

Shaneus

I'd love to see something crazy come from this. Given how they support people making their own controller/USB drivers, give people the option of wiring up their own array of trance vibrators or LED light kits.

Also, Child of Eden VR pls. And while we're at it, Cosmic Smash as well.

8bit

Knows the Score
Cosmic smash is a good call, child of Eden wasn't much fun except the proto Rez unlock after beating the main campaign. Looking at a 4th purchase here, dc, ps2, 360, ps4 and happy to keep subbing for this. Would love more SC5 too but I can only dream so far.

Slime

Banned
I'm shocked this has been getting such a lukewarm reception (not necessarily here, but on YouTube and other sites I've seen).

Personally this was the coolest thing about the keynote, aside from the FFVII footage. Still don't really care about VR, but I would actually consider buying it on sale at some point to support this.

Corto

I'm shocked this has been getting such a lukewarm reception (not necessarily here, but on YouTube and other sites I've seen).

Personally this was the coolest thing about the keynote, aside from the FFVII footage. Still don't really care about VR, but I would actually consider buying it on sale at some point to support this.

It's a classic game but its audience was always niche. I loved Child of Eden but it had a very tepid reception. It's a cult game.

CLEEK

It was the coolest thing at PSX by far, and personally trumps the big three bombshells from E3.

But unless you've played Rez, I can see why it could look underwhelming. It's an experience. And even if you strip out the art style and soundtrack, the core shooting mechanic is top tier stuff. But again, this is something you need to find out from playing it.

Rez will always be a special game to me. Coming from C64 and Amiga background, where vector and filled vector games were common, yet limited in technology, Rez is how I imagined games would look like in the future. Once I pop on the PSVR headset, I reckon I'll get the same feeling once again.

hodgy100

Its a super niche title. Its absolutely amazing that it got the kind of push it did.

Slime

Banned
^^^I guess I'm getting old. When I saw the announcement I was expecting a Shenmue 3-ish response.

Ah well. Hopefully everyone tries it out (and falls in love) when it's released.

^^^I guess I'm getting old. When I saw the announcement I was expecting a Shenmue 3-ish response.

Ah well. Hopefully everyone tries it out (and falls in love) when it's released.
If ou were in my living room when I saw the reveal you'd have needed ear plugs. This is my Shenmue III!

Shaneus

I was expecting the same. Or something similar to the old Crackdown 2 reveal, when you could hear the crowd go apeshit when they played the orb collect sound.

5taquitos

In my circles, it was definitely met with all-caps reactions

Deft Beck

I was watching the official Playstation stream and everyone in the chat was ragging on the game's graphics and the music. Made me sad, but the game isn't for the mass audience.

It's for those willing to re-enter Eden.

Toki767

This was my first VR experience and it was really cool. VR doesn't really add a ton to the game though. It's just cool to see.

Cleve

This was my first VR experience and it was really cool. VR doesn't really add a ton to the game though. It's just cool to see.

Sitting in the dark with my speakers cranked and a rumble pack (taped to fit perfectly) in my dreamcast was enough to immerse me beyond belief on the dreamcast. I can't imagine this game in VR. It's reason alone for me to get the morpheus.

Fear is the mind killer.

Timeless

"People" is a generous term, reserved only for those who can be considered a valid, worthy component of humanity. They do not deserve to be called "people".
leaked picture of what they look like

ZJzJSWj.png

BubbaMc

Never played Rez, but after reading the reaction here I'll dust off my Dreamcast and see what all the fuss is about.

Necro900

Rez has always had a first person mode that you can unlock, but I think it will work great in VR in third person. I'd rather be able to see my dude evolving.

Well, keeping track of the character's status can be worked around in different ways, even in first person. Honestly, if I strap headgear to my head I expect to feel immersed with a first person view (and what a trippy view it would be), I don't want to see a small man few inches from me "living" the game.

If that's all this new rez is (and with hi-rez assets :p) then I'm not interested in the least.
Not to mention you can already have the same experience with oculus rift and an emulator, with higher res and all that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOc82RRivpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV7NxxiJqVk

Scarecrow

Well, keeping track of the character's status can be worked around in different ways, even in first person. Honestly, if I strap headgear to my head I expect to feel immersed with a first person view (and what a trippy view it would be), I don't want to see a small man few inches from me "living" the game.

If that's all this new rez is (and with hi-rez assets :p) then I'm not interested in the least.
Not to mention you can already have the same experience with oculus rift and an emulator, with higher res and all that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOc82RRivpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV7NxxiJqVk

I'm wondering if they'll expand on the endless zone they had in the original. Fleshing that out could make sense with a name like Infinity

Eurogamer - Rez Infinite is PlayStation VR's best game yet

Strapping on the PlayStation VR headset and playing this newly specced version, I'm reminded of seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey on 70mm for the first time, having previously only seen it on DVD; there's a new clarity, and a new sense of purpose. Rez really does feel like it was always intended for virtual reality. And, conversely, this new wave of virtual reality feels like it's been waiting for something like Rez.

The giddy motion as you pulse through the abstract levels is new, the euphoric rush as you push up through layers is immeasurably enhanced. How dizzying it is to be pulled so completely within the abstract darkness of Rez, a world I've watched so many times before. Targeting using the VR unit's sensors - as in PlayStation VR stablemate Eve Valkyrie, you shoot where you look - becomes second nature within seconds, and as your head's tugged around by the enemies that dance into view, you're pulled into Rez's world that much quicker.

Shin-Ra

But you can't even tell the difference without zooming!
;)

Rez Infinite's been swirling around Mizuguchi's mind for a while - and, of course, the idea of a VR version likely goes all the way back to the Project-K prototype for the game - but what we're seeing at PlayStation Experience is the result of six short month's work. There are more improvements to come, and more tweaks, as well as that all-new area that's being crafted by the small team at Mizuguchi's Enhance Games. How many of that team, I ask, were part of the United Game Artists set-up back in 2001?
Splendid, still plenty of time for Enhancements. The Fifth stage needs the most texture work:

And in addition to the HUD, this probably doesn't look so great in VR:

datsunzep

This is incredible news for many who have not experienced the game. I still have my import copy on the Dreamcast. It's one of my prized gaming possessions. I stayed up until Rez HD was released on the 360. I remember having my name ranked in the top 10 for near a month for Area 5.

kUNtWzU.jpg

I can't even imagine how amazed I would feel if the first time I was introduced to Rez was in VR. As glad as I am for others to play this game, I wish Mizuguchi would stop rehashing the same game repeatedly. Child of Eden was a very good game, but the omg it's so kewl tech piece at the time was Kinect - it was the same game as Rez, but with a gimmick. Rinse repeat with VR.

You can't force amazing games and ideas, so as much as I want him to release another mind-blowing audio-visual experience, I respect him for putting games to the wayside until he figures his next big thing out.

Top Bottom